The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2008, 02:17 AM   #1
ChrisB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer I
RSC Bexley/London - service times & costs

My 1971 1016 Explorer I and my wife's 2001 79160 S/S Lady Datejust are currenly in for service. When I enquired in December about cost and time, I was told that late February or early March was a good time for a turnaround of about 4-5 weeks compared with 6-8 or more at other times of year and even worse leading up to Christmas and New Year.

They went in on 7 Mar and must have reached the workbench as I have just had a quote to confirm the Explorer will incur a surcharge of about £30 "due to the age of the model" and the work will take 8-10 weeks from instruction to proceed (duly given). They also covered themselves by pointing out that the dial has some signs of staining (no offer to change it thank goodness).

Is it normal to get a surcharge for old age?
Is the service response time really that long?

Any comparable experiences might make me feel better. This is almost worth adding to the "oh no" thread!
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2008, 04:59 AM   #2
juneja
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6542
Be careful they don't change it. Sometimes they won't service a watch at all unless they can change what they want to (because they guarantee their work) - not so relevant on a dial, but when it comes to things like (for example) adding triplocks and tubes when the watch originally didn't have a triplock they can get a bit sticky about things.

Keep on top of them so they are very clear about your requirements, get their confirmation in writing if you can.

I went into Rolex SC a couple of days ago to get an insert for my gilt 5513. On the phone they said they has an original one for my watch, when I turned up they'd fitted a Luminova thin font, which fits but is all wrong (it works, and was cheap enough to keep, but I don't 'like' it).

Vintage Rolex collectors don't always service at Rolex, there's a few good guys out there servicing watches. If Rolex stick to their word though they'll do a cracking job, with guarantee.

Anyway, good luck with that.

Ravi :)
juneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2008, 07:25 AM   #3
marke
Banned

Watch: Daytona
hi guys, give me a call on 07956 528528, i have 2 very very good friends that work for rolex at bexley one in service the other in sales if i can help give me a call

all the best mark

ps. apart from getting a mortgage bill for service of my 5 watches recently they completed a fantastic job and the watches came back looking like new
marke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2008, 07:37 AM   #4
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
I hope you get the watches back soon!

Please post "after service" pics!

Do you also have any "before service" pics?

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2008, 05:50 PM   #5
Spark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
Hi Chris,
Watches over 30 years old do incure an age surcharge.
The reason they state on the papers the dial is marked etc.. is because they are not going to change it and they are just covering themselves incase you are not a collector and want it looking like new.
If they were going to change the dial it would be stated on the estimate and would be around 150 quid extra, even if they had you can ask them not to change it unless it is really badly damaged and could cause malfunction of the watch then sometimes they will not do the service as they can not guarantee the watch.

They look at the dial with 10x magnification too, so I have had service papers saying dial marked even when the dial looks mint.

Rolex Bexley are very good with vintage pieces and actually appreciate what they are unlike other RSC's around the world.

The turn around time of 8 weeks is pretty standard, but if it is ready early they will let you know.
Your watches will come back looking fantastic, I have never had any problems at all
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2008, 06:13 PM   #6
gmt 16750
"TRF" Member

Watch: what your doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Hi Chris,
Watches over 30 years old do incure an age surcharge.
The reason they state on the papers the dial is marked etc.. is because they are not going to change it and they are just covering themselves incase you are not a collector and want it looking like new.
If they were going to change the dial it would be stated on the estimate and would be around 150 quid extra, even if they had you can ask them not to change it unless it is really badly damaged and could cause malfunction of the watch then sometimes they will not do the service as they can not guarantee the watch.

They look at the dial with 10x magnification too, so I have had service papers saying dial marked even when the dial looks mint.

Rolex Bexley are very good with vintage pieces and actually appreciate what they are unlike other RSC's around the world.

The turn around time of 8 weeks is pretty standard, but if it is ready early they will let you know.
Your watches will come back looking fantastic, I have never had any problems at all
What Mark said! - good info.
Old 29 March 2008, 06:16 PM   #7
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Hope you get your watches back soon!!!
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2008, 07:18 PM   #8
wish
"TRF" Member

My watch was taken in at the beginning of March ... I was told it would be around 10 weeks but to expect a call at the 8 week mark.

I miss my watch so much !!!!!
Infact its fair to say Im a little bit grumpy not having it on my wrist (So the wife tells me)
wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2008, 08:58 PM   #9
zazwaldo
"TRF" Member

I deposited my '74 Red Sub in December and picked it up on Thursday. I stipuleted what 'I' wanted them to change and not to change. Watch came back looking ace AND I got all the old parts back with the watch to retaing the history a little more.

I believe the service was 1st class and good VFM. I would not hesitate to put my watch back to them in the future.

Can you imagine putting your Ferrari Daytona into a Ferrari dealership for a major service and getting a 1 year warranty after. Thats in essence what you get from Rolex UK. Thats faith in the product and the quality of their work.
zazwaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2008, 03:54 AM   #10
ChrisB
"TRF" Member

Thanks to all who responded. I am reassured by your comments and look forward to return of my watch(es). My past expereince with RSC Bexley has been good too but the surcharge and long service delay were new this time.

Mark - I will keep your contact number just in case I need some help, e.g. if return gets later than promised

Pictures will be posted!
Old 1 April 2008, 03:54 AM   #11
ChrisB
"TRF" Member

Thanks to all who responded. I am reassured by your comments and look forward to return of my watch(es). My past expereince with RSC Bexley has been good too but the surcharge and long service delay were new this time.

Mark - I will keep your contact number just in case I need some help, e.g. if return gets later than promised

Pictures will be posted!
Old 1 April 2008, 05:02 AM   #12
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

The London one is a little slow in my view.
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2008, 06:06 AM   #13
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
Cannot believe that it will take that amount of time to service the watch. No wonder I am gonna need anither one.
Old 1 April 2008, 06:46 AM   #14
etp095
"TRF" Member

i just got my 1969 oyster date back from the ny rsc and didn't incur a surcharge,and had my watch back after 4 weeks.
pepsi gmt for dad(D)
polar expy II(z)
1675 gmt circa 68'
ladies datejust on jubilee for mom (z)
sea dweller16600(M)
SS Sub-C(g)
Omega Planet Ocean,45.5 on mesh(2500D)
etp095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2010, 07:47 PM   #15
Puffy
"TRF" Member

How do you get your Rolex down to Bexley? RMSD or do you just give it to an ad who will do it all for you?
Old 6 March 2010, 08:24 PM   #16
Black Bay Dan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
I sent them directly to RWC Bexley, using Royal Mail Special Delivery.

Dan
Black Bay Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2010, 09:17 PM   #17
slevin kelevra
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
I've had mixed deallings with Bexley recently. It really depends who answers the phone. One employee gave me nothing but attitude but then I called back a bout a week later and got two people who could have not been more helpful.

They also scratched my watch but i'll put that down to a "one off"
slevin kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote