The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 13 July 2011, 09:44 AM   #1
apollo92

Omega Seamaster Quartz late 1970s - Plz Help.

Hello everyone,

I bought this watch some time ago because i liked the strap and had never seen a seamaster with a silver dial/bezel before. I believe there were two similar models available at the time, the other in a two tone with gold face, bezel and strap. The watch was going fine until the battery ran out, or so I thought.

I took the watch to a really decent watchmaker who has always been more than helpful. He said they didn't make the actual batteries anymore because of some complication with the battery content but was able to fit another with some sort of cushion to allow it to fit properly. He tried this but said the battery was not at fault, the movement is gone.

I really like the watch which I must admit I hardly even wore. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do. I have been told to maybe look for another 1342 watch for sale to replace the movement or should I just advertise it for spares/parts. If so, what would be a reasonable price, I don't think they even sell the straps anymore. He thought buying another movement would be a risky move.

As I left he mentioned it was always better to buy an automatic movement as these movements although generally reliable are approx 30-40 years old. I agreed, but felt a cold sweat at the thought of buying another new watch!

I already have a Omega Seamaster Midsize Quartz which I bought new and has never missed a beat. I did think about selling both for a new watch but don't have one in mind other than the Omega Aqua Terra with grey tech dial which I would rather buy second hand.

I think I should stay away from these quartz movements, especially the vintage ones.

Sorry for the ramble but I would welcome any advice from you guys and gals. Your experience has been really helpful in the past.

Thank you kindly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1357b.jpg (106.5 KB, 29 views)
apollo92 is offline   Reply With Quote