The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 1 November 2020, 10:38 AM   #61
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoniman View Post
Yup. Same here.
With exception of oysters.

It's just all about health, happiness & family. The rest are just necessary inconvenience we have to deal with.

Stone crab claws and corona light for me. Can eat and drink all day long. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 01:15 PM   #62
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
You are only responsible for yourself and what you think is right, who cares what your neighbors are doing. We all have implanted DNA and genetic predispositions so those will always work for, or, against us. Regardless the best thing you can do is maximize your potential by pursuing a healthy lifestyle and eat smart, exercise and do the right thing, and when you can't, correct it ASAP. Playing with fire and being jealous of careless behavior won't serve a good purpose, JMHO
I would say that due to that, people should WANT to live a healthy lifestyle because they enjoy, but unfortunately it doesn't guarantee longevity.

I knew this lady that was an aerobic instructor. Amazing shape. Ate a perfect diet..that a nutritionist would use as an example for all to follow.

Then one day she felt like food was getting stuck when swallowing.

Unfortunately, esophageal cancer. She died in about 8months after diagnosis. She was 56. But she loved exercising and the healthy lifestyle in itself.

On the flip side, My uncle was a Jack Lalanne disciple. Walked 5miles a day. Ate a perfect diet. Was a POW in a German camp. Swore if he got out of there he would life a clean healthy life. He did..and he made it to 95.

On the other side I had a great aunt who did absolutely nothing healthy, including her job, which was polishing silver. She was exposed to all kinds of chemicals. She smoked, drank, and had zero interest in exercise of any kind. She lived to 96. Said she felt great until she caught the flu and pneumonia got her.

If people want to live a strict healthy lifestyle and that is enjoyment for them, great.

if they don't like any of that stuff and want to do what they want, then great.

Personally I don't smoke, drink alcohol in any way, moderately ingest junk food, but don't overdo it. I know if I did any of the aforementioned I would feel like #%%^...I don't mind exercise either way. I might start again to see if it improves quality of life as i get older..
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 01:25 PM   #63
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I would say that due to that, people should WANT to live a healthy lifestyle because they enjoy, but unfortunately it doesn't guarantee longevity.

I knew this lady that was an aerobic instructor. Amazing shape. Ate a perfect diet..that a nutritionist would use as an example for all to follow.

Unfortunately, esophageal cancer. She died in about 8months after diagnosis. She was 56. But she loved exercising and the healthy lifestyle in itself.

On the flip side, My uncle was a Jack Lalanne disciple. Walked 5miles a day. Ate a perfect diet. Was a POW in a German camp. Swore if he got out of there he would life a clean healthy life. He did..and he made it to 95.

On the other side I had a great aunt who did absolutely nothing healthy, including her job, which was polishing silver. She was exposed to all kinds of chemicals. She smoked, drank, and had zero interest in exercise of any kind. She lived to 96. Said she felt great until she caught the flu and pneumonia got her.

If people want to live a strict healthy lifestyle and that is enjoyment for them, great.

Personally I don't smoke, drink alcohol in any way, moderately ingest junk food, but don't overdo it. I know if I did any of the aforementioned I would feel like #%%^...I don't mind exercise either way. I might start again to see if it improves quality of life as i get older..
What is your age range without being specific, if I may respectfully ask? I just turned 54.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 01:36 PM   #64
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
What is your age range without being specific, if I may respectfully ask? I just turned 54.
Early 40's

My "healthy" choices for myself are...

Never smoked anything, ever. Just didn't interest me.

Was drunk once. Didn't like it. I might drink a mixed drink once a year in a social setting, but I HATE the way alcohol makes me feel (like I've been poisoned!)...so I could live the rest of my life without it.

No illegal drugs...weed, blow, steroids...etc. Again, not my jam.

I don't drink soft drinks. No coffee either. They just make me thirstier and i don't like caffeine, so pass on that.

I do have a bit of sweet tooth. I am overweight for my height.

I used to exercise about 4x a week, but I stopped a few years back. i really didn't love it...but I didn't hate it either.

I might start it up again and see if it improves anything.
Old 1 November 2020, 02:00 PM   #65
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:

I never said "Guaranty" I was just talking about increasing your odds, thought that was self evident.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 02:30 PM   #66
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I never said "Guaranty" I was just talking about increasing your odds, thought that was self evident.

It really doesn't take much to trigger these days, so before this goes down the snarky spiral that I sense this is going down..nothing "negative" was being directed towards you or anyone, so that's that. I was agreeing with you btw
Old 1 November 2020, 02:34 PM   #67
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrostick View Post
Beginning of this year, I was 260 pounds at 5'11". I decided I was sick of being fat and unhealthy.

I am now 190 pounds, love mountain biking and rock climbing.

My resting heart rate was an awful 90 and now is 48.

So worth the change, and even more so now that my wife is pregnant with my first child.

It has been tough, but I can now say something I never thought I would say...I love cardio!
Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Well done, congrats! And congrats on the incoming as well!
Old 1 November 2020, 07:13 PM   #68
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Yesterdays STATS for this old coot...!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 76AAE64A-A2EA-48A5-A847-3D58273CD829.jpeg (76.9 KB, 101 views)
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 10:50 PM   #69
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
How much effort and time should be put into ones health and well being..? Is it really worth it at all ..? I ponder these thoughts when I see other guys my age and older still smoking their cigarettes and eating a big old greasy double bacon cheeseburger. Does it really matter much in the big picture what we eat, smoke,drink etc etc etc.... hmmmmm
I work in healthcare and believe me it does. One can always find the outliers that lived to x age and smoked, drank etc. while longevity is a goal of many, functionality into advanced age is what people are after. I often work with folks like you say above that smoked, drank, and ate poorly and are suffering the consequences. The consequences interestingly seem to be rationalized away as bad luck or genetics. While those play a role, our behavior (depending on what data you site) ranges from 60-75% of our health. For me this is not a question and the suffering is real, when the consequences do come. When they come, it’s big, heart attack, stroke, etc and hits hard. Then at that point we can prop you up with pills, but it will be back to take more.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 11:01 PM   #70
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
I work in healthcare and believe me it does. One can always find the outliers that lived to x age and smoked, drank etc. while longevity is a goal of many, functionality into advanced age is what people are after. I often work with folks like you say above that smoked, drank, and ate poorly and are suffering the consequences. The consequences interestingly seem to be rationalized away as bad luck or genetics. While those play a role, our behavior (depending on what data you site) ranges from 60-75% of our health. For me this is not a question and the suffering is real, when the consequences do come. When they come, it’s big, heart attack, stroke, etc and hits hard. Then at that point we can prop you up with pills, but it will be back to take more.
Sure my post did not come across as one whom had and smokes as I have never ever in my entire 67 1/2 years touched a nasty cigarette. I also have never ever taken one single pill for the things most people take there entire adult life. I was a big fat ole porker but that was all and that was 15 years ago as I have been "FAT FREE" for the last 15 years...
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 05:03 AM   #71
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:

It really doesn't take much to trigger these days, so before this goes down the snarky spiral that I sense this is going down..nothing "negative" was being directed towards you or anyone, so that's that. I was agreeing with you btw
you could point those comments to the man in the mirror, clearly! Then your response is that your opinion is logical and mine is snarky, not a good debate strategy. I'm more then willing to ignore you but you'll have to start by ignoring me.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 05:14 AM   #72
jamesbond25
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
Health is very important. Don't let that convince you that you can't still eat a double bacon cheeseburger or sit on your A** all day Sunday watching football and drinking beer. Be active, try to make good choices when eating or choosing your meals during the week. Health is all about choices IMO. Try to make better choice more than bad and you will be fine.
jamesbond25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 08:18 AM   #73
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
you could point those comments to the man in the mirror, clearly! Then your response is that your opinion is logical and mine is snarky, not a good debate strategy. I'm more then willing to ignore you but you'll have to start by ignoring me.

Sure, let's go that route. You took it the wrong way and won't let it go. Not my jam.
Old 2 November 2020, 08:24 AM   #74
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I had severe spinal stenosis from about 17 until 23 or so. Thankfully a lot of my symptoms went away on their own (somehow?).

The chronic pain was unbearable and I try to be as healthy as possible to avoid aggravating any health issues at all. Every day I wake up excited not to have any chronic pain. It's like Christmas 365 days a year.
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 08:26 AM   #75
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
health is wealth
Old 3 November 2020, 04:55 AM   #76
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
A Good Goal is to be; Happy, Healthy, Wealthy and Wise!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 06:13 AM   #77
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrostick View Post
Beginning of this year, I was 260 pounds at 5'11". I decided I was sick of being fat and unhealthy.

I am now 190 pounds, love mountain biking and rock climbing.

My resting heart rate was an awful 90 and now is 48.

So worth the change, and even more so now that my wife is pregnant with my first child.
Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Congratulations! This story made my day
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 06:13 AM   #78
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
I had severe spinal stenosis from about 17 until 23 or so. Thankfully a lot of my symptoms went away on their own (somehow?).

The chronic pain was unbearable and I try to be as healthy as possible to avoid aggravating any health issues at all. Every day I wake up excited not to have any chronic pain. It's like Christmas 365 days a year.
This is interesting. Did you change your exercise regimen or eating habits?
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote