The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 28 November 2017, 09:18 PM   #1
burnt888
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Rolex day date 40 yellow gold black diamond dial vs AP royal oak 41 rose gold

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice between 2 watches. The Rolex day date 40 yellow gold with the diamond black dial has been my childhood dream watch. The AP royal oak is my adulthood grail watch. I love both so much and I can't decide which one to buy. What do you think is just the nicer watch in general? I think the royal oak is just plain sexy and I love how it plays with light. The day date is also a beautiful watch but I find it a bit more dressy. My wrist size is bout 7.5 inches and I'm a bit stalkier of a guy as I workout quite a bit. I also wear a lot of casual wear and suits throughout the week. I'm looking for an everyday watch that I can dress up and down. I believe both can do that, just one is slightly dressier than the other meaning the Rolex. I'm also looking for a little bit of a status piece as well as I've been fortunate enough to be able to afford either one.

No one I know wears a AP of any sort or knows much about it. But I do have a lot of friends with all sorts of Rolex's. I generally don't like to have the same things as others but in this case it won't matter as I just want my one gold watch!

Looking forward to some great advice!
Attached Files
File Type: zip IMG_6096.PNG.zip (1.81 MB, 143 views)
File Type: zip IMG_6714.PNG.zip (2.91 MB, 64 views)
burnt888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 02:15 AM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt888 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice between 2 watches. The Rolex day date 40 yellow gold with the diamond black dial has been my childhood dream watch. The AP royal oak is my adulthood grail watch. I love both so much and I can't decide which one to buy. What do you think is just the nicer watch in general? I think the royal oak is just plain sexy and I love how it plays with light. The day date is also a beautiful watch but I find it a bit more dressy. My wrist size is bout 7.5 inches and I'm a bit stalkier of a guy as I workout quite a bit. I also wear a lot of casual wear and suits throughout the week. I'm looking for an everyday watch that I can dress up and down. I believe both can do that, just one is slightly dressier than the other meaning the Rolex. I'm also looking for a little bit of a status piece as well as I've been fortunate enough to be able to afford either one.

No one I know wears a AP of any sort or knows much about it. But I do have a lot of friends with all sorts of Rolex's. I generally don't like to have the same things as others but in this case it won't matter as I just want my one gold watch!

AP is a much nicer watch and there is no real debate about that IMO. Personal preferences may sway people one way or another, but the AP is nicer period, and the finishing is second to none.

The DD has never really done anything for me so I would get the AP. I like the fact that a lot of people will notice it but won't have a clue what it is. Most people will recognize a Rolex.

Look at a 15202 in RG also. If i was going full gold AP RO, that is the one to get. Its 39mm but will wear big and will be about the same as a DD so don't discount it based on the stated size.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 02:28 AM   #3
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I have both a RG AP Royal Oak and a YG DD40 so I don't have your dilemma But IMHO, the AP will win in this race. Not many watches can out-shines a YG DD40 if that's your thing but a full bracelet RG AP RO will easily do that. It's also the better finished of the two.

However, the DD40 will be more recognisable among the non-WIS crowd because of the daydate's rich history and heritage as a watch for leaders, and of course Rolex sheer brand power and popularity.
Old 29 November 2017, 03:20 AM   #4
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
It really is your choice. That said I have rose gold APs and also a yellow gold Rolex YM2 and much prefer the RG to YG, its more refined and less blatant. I doubt I'd ever buy another yellow gold watch and rarely wear the YM2. Indeed I've also now acquired an RG Omega too, I like the pink gold colour so much.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 03:30 AM   #5
chad362wiley
"TRF" Member

Good choice, I like Rolex yellow gold better than AP and vice versa for Rose. If you can swing the Rose AP, absolutely do that. I have 7.5+ wrists too and my RO fits better than the 40mm rolexes, personally.

Go for the AP
chad362wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 05:56 AM   #6
Amiroo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak Chrono
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Fellow Vancouverite: I was in a similar situation as you. I had two Day Date II (41mm) in rose gold and yellow gold both with diamond hours. However I was eyeing the new Royal Oak Chronos (blue dial) since they got released last year. Long story short, I sold my rose gold Day Date, kept the yellow gold and added a 15400OR. When I saw the the 15400OR I fell in love and actually liked it more than the chrono as it was more "dressy" and I can honestly never get tired of staring at its blue dial. The yellow gold DD does get a lot of "looks" when I wear it and I'd say the AP is more under the radar, specially in rose. But those who know watches know just what a special piece it is. In our town, as you know, there a lot of people rocking Rolex, which is fine. However, if you want to stand out AND be under the radar (if that makes sense) go with the AP. You will never look back.

Here are some pics for you...

Rolex GMT-Master II BLNR 116710
Amiroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 07:09 AM   #7
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
You lost me at diamond dial :)

But, seriously, as has been said: the AP is the "nicer" watch. If you truly have wanted the DD since you were a kid, though, I think you have to go with it.

Watches are emotional purchases; logic doesn't have too much to do with it. You could convince yourself the AP is the better watch and then still be "disappointed" as it doesn't scratch the itch you've had since you were a kid.

The DD is certainly more of a "status" piece to the general public, if that's your thing. Personally, I don't feel the need to advertise the fruits of my labor.
Old 29 November 2017, 08:45 AM   #8
burnt888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I have both a RG AP Royal Oak and a YG DD40 so I don't have your dilemma But IMHO, the AP will win in this race. Not many watches can out-shines a YG DD40 if that's your thing but a full bracelet RG AP RO will easily do that. It's also the better finished of the two.

However, the DD40 will be more recognisable among the non-WIS crowd because of the daydate's rich history and heritage as a watch for leaders, and of course Rolex sheer brand power and popularity.
A RG RO out shines the YG DD 40? The YG DD is so "loud" I didn't think that was possible. My best friend has the YG DD 40 with champagne diamond dial and sometimes I just end up looking at his watch more than him
Old 29 November 2017, 08:53 AM   #9
burnt888
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Amiroo;8073053]Fellow Vancouverite: I was in a similar situation as you. I had two Day Date II (41mm) in rose gold and yellow gold both with diamond hours. However I was eyeing the new Royal Oak Chronos (blue dial) since they got released last year. Long story short, I sold my rose gold Day Date, kept the yellow gold and added a 15400OR. When I saw the the 15400OR I fell in love and actually liked it more than the chrono as it was more "dressy" and I can honestly never get tired of staring at its blue dial. The yellow gold DD does get a lot of "looks" when I wear it and I'd say the AP is more under the radar, specially in rose. But those who know watches know just what a special piece it is. In our town, as you know, there a lot of people rocking Rolex, which is fine. However, if you want to stand out AND be under the radar (if that makes sense) go with the AP. You will never look back.

Very nice timepieces. TBH that's actually what I really want. I actually want both of the YG DD and the RG AP RO. To me, both look stunning and I just can't decide. One day I will have both I'm sure but I still can't decide which one I want first. Currently I have the DJ 41 rhodium Diamond dial. But I do understand what you mean. AP is definitely under the radar here in vancouver. I find most people don't know what it is.
Old 29 November 2017, 08:54 AM   #10
burnt888
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Amiroo;8073053]Fellow Vancouverite: I was in a similar situation as you. I had two Day Date II (41mm) in rose gold and yellow gold both with diamond hours. However I was eyeing the new Royal Oak Chronos (blue dial) since they got released last year. Long story short, I sold my rose gold Day Date, kept the yellow gold and added a 15400OR. When I saw the the 15400OR I fell in love and actually liked it more than the chrono as it was more "dressy" and I can honestly never get tired of staring at its blue dial. The yellow gold DD does get a lot of "looks" when I wear it and I'd say the AP is more under the radar, specially in rose. But those who know watches know just what a special piece it is. In our town, as you know, there a lot of people rocking Rolex, which is fine. However, if you want to stand out AND be under the radar (if that makes sense) go with the AP. You will never look back.

Quick question. In your opinion, which watch scratches easier between the 2? I've been wondering this for quite awhile.
Old 29 November 2017, 10:50 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I had both too, and sure you will too. I'd go for the RG RO on bracelet first. Finish and feel is more extraordinary but it does mark up more as the President bracelet and fluted bezel mask marks better.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2017, 11:33 PM   #12
Xerxes77
Banned

AP is very besutifull but it’s more sensitive and easy to scratch
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2017, 06:10 AM   #13
Amiroo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak Chrono
Quote:
Quick question. In your opinion, which watch scratches easier between the 2? I've been wondering this for quite awhile.
I'd say the AP is more delicate. I wear mine only on special occasions, maybe once a month. Worn it maybe 6 times since I bought it! But I'm a watch freak, I wear my batman for daily use and love it. I can enjoy my AP without even wearing it, I often enjoy it at home staring at the AP in its box while enjoying some scotch. It is that special. If you also already have a watch with a fluted bezel it's definitely worth considering the Royal Oak.
Rolex GMT-Master II BLNR 116710
Amiroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 08:37 AM   #14
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Both is the answer. If I could only keep 1, it would be the AP, but I’d seriously miss the DD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 09:04 AM   #15
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
AP RG tough to beat.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 09:04 AM   #16
Jowatch
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Plenty
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
AP RG tough to beat.

Agree to that.
Jowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 03:13 PM   #17
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
AP is a more exclusive watch but it will scratch faster and show those scratches more.

I own the RG 41 ROC black dial on bracelet and a YG DDII Black Roman dial.. that being said, the rolex has never given me a problem, works much better and easier to wear.

Just buy it right, whichever you go for. DD40 versions can be had for a great deal!
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 07:08 PM   #18
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Tough choice..the beauty of AP is one thing and the robustness of Rolex is another. My AP and Rolex have different tasks that they both excel at! AP RG is amazing in person and pictures don't quite paint the picture entirely. Good luck!
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 08:39 PM   #19
Gravity
"TRF" Member

I’d have to agree going with the AP but it’s all personal preference. The DD 41 is actually next on my list but my ROO 44 was a hands down priority and so glad it was. Around here and most major cities I travel to DDs are all over the place but it is quite a rarity to spot a AP 44 and like has been mentioned, it’s much more undercover but at the same time commands quite a but more appreciation when those who know see it. All and all either way you’ll have one hell of a piece.

Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 05:10 AM   #20
kd845
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26331BA | 15500OR
Im sure this debate will go on, but totally IMO:

Rolex YG (pops more, literally from across a room) > AP YG

AP RG (more true color in terms of tone) > Rolex RG
kd845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 10:45 AM   #21
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
My view - go with your adult grail

As an alternative, have you considered the new design gold ROO? (https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa....OO.1000OR.02/)
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote