The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 5 June 2019, 12:52 PM   #1
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
$1000 monitor stand

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/m/6ab9407...-stand-is.html

Seems like an excessive price. Not sure what apple was thinking with this but sure someone will pay it.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2019, 01:40 PM   #2
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Yeah. But. Uhm. Yeah.
It is holding up a $6000 monitor???? Would you trust your expensive monitor to anything less???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2019, 02:06 PM   #3
Star Ferry
Banned

Overpriced as it is, fanboys want OEM accessories. At first blush, this isn't that different from paying $1000 for a steel Rolex bracelet.

but then I gave it more than 10 seconds of thought and realized this is probably made in China for pennies. And while a Rolex bracelet is a fun piece of jewelry, this is hidden behind the monitor, where it serves its lonely utilitarian purpose in shame
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2019, 02:18 PM   #4
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Was more surprised to see Yahoo still exists.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2019, 02:32 PM   #5
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakWithMichael View Post
Old 5 June 2019, 02:50 PM   #6
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
And the fan boys will still buy it.

Exactly twenty days ago I was forced. And believe me when I say I was forced to switch to iPhone after having some kind of Galaxy Note phone in my pocket since my last iPhone 5.

Aside from the fact I can now accept FaceTime calls from my son who uses an iPad I am the most miserable mobile user alive. Form over function is why I am back to Windows also.

What a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 June 2019, 03:07 PM   #7
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post
And the fan boys will still buy it.

Exactly twenty days ago I was forced. And believe me when I say I was forced to switch to iPhone after having some kind of Galaxy Note phone in my pocket since my last iPhone 5.

Aside from the fact I can now accept FaceTime calls from my son who uses an iPad I am the most miserable mobile user alive. Form over function is why I am back to Windows also.

What a joke.

Sounds like your living through one of my bad nightmares.

I too am a Note guy and cannot wait for the Note 10 to come out later this year before deciding whether to upgrade my Note 9.

A genuine question here but why do so many people go to apple just to use Facetime when you can use a multitude of free apps for video calls. (Line and WhatsApp being two off the top of my head) Isn't it the same thing or what is different about Facetime specifically?
Old 5 June 2019, 03:11 PM   #8
MinMay
Banned

gotta have the greatest ...on order LOL
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2019, 04:03 PM   #9
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Huge Apple fan here. I think their hardware (build quality) and software is best in class. Specs are not as good as Windows computers or Android phones, but everything is optimized really well so its not an issue.

Now, having said that, $1000 for a monitor stand is insane and I would never spend that kind of coin. Even $500 would be ridiculous. At $5000, the new pro monitor or whatever it's called should come with the stand included.

Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2019, 04:18 PM   #10
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogdogg View Post

I too am a Note guy and cannot wait for the Note 10 to come out later this year before deciding whether to upgrade my Note 9.

A genuine question here but why do so many people go to apple just to use Facetime when you can use a multitude of free apps for video calls. (Line and WhatsApp being two off the top of my head) Isn't it the same thing or what is different about Facetime specifically?

I use WhatsApp extensively. Line, Skype, Google Duo and many more can do video calling.

iOS interface is great for children. So are the parental controls - I guess we can say simplicity? Which is the complete opposite of our beloved Note phones which are hardware and software POWERHOUSES.

FaceTime is built right into his iPad. He can press a button and get me on right away with less load on the data. Best part? He doesn’t have to beg his mother for her thumb’s blessing to get a third party app. Truly a horrible nightmare.

I tried the carry two phones approach but I would forget the iPhone and come home to 25 missed FaceTime call from my son and that’s just unacceptable. Until he doesn’t need someone else’s thumb, I am basically an Apple hostage at whatever price they name.

Old 5 June 2019, 09:47 PM   #11
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post

Now, having said that, $1000 for a monitor stand is insane and I would never spend that kind of coin. Even $500 would be ridiculous. At $5000, the new pro monitor or whatever it's called should come with the stand included.

If the stand were included and the monitor was $5999, I don’t think there’d be as much pushback. Just a marketing observation.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2019, 10:22 PM   #12
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:

I use Whatsapp extensively as well.
Apple users FaceTime because it makes them be "part of an exclusive group"

It blows my mind when I exchange numbers with someone and I inadvertently get asked "Oh - you don't have an Iphone?"

No - my Note8 is terrific.
Old 5 June 2019, 10:25 PM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2019, 10:30 PM   #14
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I don’t know if any of you were watching WWDC Keynote preso live - but there was an audible gasp from the audience at that price. Even fan boys knew Apple screwed up the pricing.

Yes, this is a poster child for ridiculous pricing.

But in context, the display and the 28 Core MacPro running it at full resolution costs upward of $45,000 when configured for the purpose it was designed. Oh, and most studios will need several if they plan on editing/rendering full resolution 8K video streams.

I would never buy that stand - the VESA Mount Adapter (likely $80-100) will attach the display to your existing monitor rig.

Oh...by the way...the cameras you need to record 8K Raw don’t even exist - a Canon pre-release camera was used to make the promo video.

https://m.dpreview.com/news/68806452...ro-display-xdr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2019, 11:30 PM   #15
Pix
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Datejust
1K for a monitor stand? What's next an iPhone for 1K, Oh wait...
Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2019, 11:37 PM   #16
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
If the stand were included and the monitor was $5999, I don’t think there’d be as much pushback. Just a marketing observation.
I think you’re right. This was a really bad play by Apple, imo.
Old 6 June 2019, 12:22 AM   #17
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

For that price couldn't you just pay someone to stand and hold your monitor and turn it whenever you needed it.

Just thinking outside the box here. Job creation.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 12:36 AM   #18
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Pretty sure the mac pro and new monitor is not at all tailored for the fanboys. Pricing is in accordance to professionals using RED-cameras and such. Professionals who are willing to pay 500% more for 5% increase in output quality.
Old 6 June 2019, 03:32 AM   #19
g0ld
"TRF" Member

Quote:
lol
g0ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 03:40 AM   #20
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

I paid $1200 for a Patek steel deployant clasp and $300 for a rubber strap... not sure how this is any worse
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 09:33 AM   #21
Mr.Rolex1
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Only for the truest of Apples fans it would seem
Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 10:12 AM   #22
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
For that price couldn't you just pay someone to stand and hold your monitor and turn it whenever you needed it.

Just thinking outside the box here. Job creation.

$1,000 is a hilarious number for, what I assume, is a bit of plastic & aluminum.
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 10:18 AM   #23
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Usually can't stand "click-bait" type article titles but this one (the Yahoo title) really hits the nail on the head.

I guess they missed the memo on the flack they caught for charging $100 for their smart pencil.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 10:42 AM   #24
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Albeit aimed at people using this for commercial use I find it a bit silly. Those that need this will inevitably pay for it but when will that end? At some point in the future those buying Apple products will have to vote with their wallets so to speak.

As a happy MacBook user I know it's hard to find alternate products. I came here for a reason, years of being fed up of the build quality (or lack there of) with most Window's powered devices. Now I've got the best of both worlds, a MacBook Air with top notch construction that also has Window's on it.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 11:05 AM   #25
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
Albeit aimed at people using this for commercial use I find it a bit silly. Those that need this will inevitably pay for it but when will that end? At some point in the future those buying Apple products will have to vote with their wallets so to speak.

As a happy MacBook user I know it's hard to find alternate products. I came here for a reason, years of being fed up of the build quality (or lack there of) with most Window's powered devices. Now I've got the best of both worlds, a MacBook Air with top notch construction that also has Window's on it.
The build quality is such a big deal for me. I have a MBP from 2013 and although it’s still running just fine, I have been thinking of upgrading to something newer. I started looking at some PC alternatives and the Dell XPS 13 looked really nice on paper. I went to take a look at them in person and I was surprised at how cheap it felt.... like, really cheap.

My boss has a Lenovo X1, another MBP alternative, and it’s much nicer than the Dell, but still not on the level of the MBP.
Old 6 June 2019, 11:20 AM   #26
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
The build quality is such a big deal for me. I have a MBP from 2013 and although it’s still running just fine, I have been thinking of upgrading to something newer. I started looking at some PC alternatives and the Dell XPS 13 looked really nice on paper. I went to take a look at them in person and I was surprised at how cheap it felt.... like, really cheap.

My boss has a Lenovo X1, another MBP alternative, and it’s much nicer than the Dell, but still not on the level of the MBP.
The X1 Carbon is probably one of the only Windows devices I would consider right now but totally agree with you. I gave up my iPhone after the 4 and use no other Apple products so I'm far from a true fan boy in my opinion. They make it very hard not to like the laptops though All of the stuff Apple critics complained about (those stupid USB Type C ports) are also on the competition now in many cases.

Every laptop I've had since 2005 (Mainly Acer devices) have failed with regards to hardware.

Now with both Mojave and Windows 10 on the same 2015 MacBook Air the software really shows which is better. Both work great with the specs of this machine but the difference between Windows 10 and Mjoave are literally like night and day.

$1,000.00 for a stand is extortionate but I'm willing to bet a Windows powered machine with similar specs and capabilities won't be far behind the overall cost.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 02:20 AM   #27
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:

facetime def does some stuff better. for me my whole family is on apple and it is amazing how easy and highquality face time is to use. My Nana, is 94, facetime easily connects to her 13" ipad and she loves seeing the boys. previously using other solutions weren't seamless enough for that.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 02:53 AM   #28
DonBateman
Banned

Watch: I like watch
Apple has lost their mind. Yuppies.
DonBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 03:57 AM   #29
LandWatch
"TRF" Member

Complete waste of money!
LandWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 07:32 AM   #30
sparky
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
should come with the $5000 monitor. Who do they think the are- Porsche??
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote