The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 July 2019, 01:24 PM   #91
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post

And indeed, AP was no stranger to using exotic materials in their watches/cases years before the introduction of the Big Bang in late 2005, as can be seen by reading this:
https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle...on-cases-by-ap
Before using a review/blog site to make your point, you should check the validity of its claims.
Cermet was used long before AP even knew what it was – they probably had to ask and pay RADO for their assistance.

As for what Rolex may’ve done for customers at their request, the point remains that Hublot were the first to sell rubber strapped gold watches by design – in 1980.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2019, 08:45 AM   #92
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Before using a review/blog site to make your point, you should check the validity of its claims.
Cermet was used long before AP even knew what it was – they probably had to ask and pay RADO for their assistance.
Which would make perfect sense if we were talking about Rado watches, which we aren't.

Quote:
As for what Rolex may’ve done for customers at their request, the point remains that Hublot were the first to sell rubber strapped gold watches by design – in 1980.
Splitting hairs really doesn't cut it. Fact remains that Rolex sold gold watches equipped with rubber straps in the 1960s. Deal with it.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2019, 09:09 AM   #93
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
The fact that they try to rip off RM as well cracks me up. No shame in their game that is for sure.
Old 29 July 2019, 11:23 AM   #94
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Which would make perfect sense if we were talking about Rado watches, which we aren't.
Er… weren’t you the one making out that AP beat Hublot to using certain materials.
So, if it’s fine for you to mention who bested who, then I reserve the right to correct your faux pas. “Deal with it!"

And whilst we’re at it, it’s worth noting that although AP did introduce Forged Carbon in 2007 (LE Alinghi model), Hublot’s Carbon Fibre watches in 2009 are constructed significantly differently by way of as many as 15 layers of pre-preg fabric, instead of chopped fibres in resin.

Quote:
Splitting hairs really doesn't cut it. Fact remains that Rolex sold gold watches equipped with rubber straps in the 1960s. Deal with it.
Hardly splitting hairs – facts are facts, and whilst Rolex may’ve acquiesced to some customers requests, they didn’t actively produce gold watches with tropical straps. It was MDM who devised that as a strategy for their Hublot model, and well… look what happened as a result.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2019, 03:22 PM   #95
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Er… weren’t you the one making out that AP beat Hublot to using certain materials.
So, if it’s fine for you to mention who bested who, then I reserve the right to correct your faux pas. “Deal with it!"
Actually, your strawman and red herring arguments aside, what I did do was accurately correct the inaccurate assertion that Hublot was the first to fit a rubber strap to a precious metal watch (as though this straw you Hublot fans keep grasping at constitutes some revolutionary development in the stage of horology, even if it were true, which it unfortunately isn't).

However, please, by all means, educate me: feel free to list the towering developments contributed by Hublot to the field of horology, as compared to AP. I'm sure it's a very lengthy and comprehensive list, like this one for AP:
Quote:
Innovations
Through the years, AP adopted avant-garde techniques and developed many innovations including world firsts in the fine watchmaking history. Its two world firsts were the smallest five-minute repeater caliber and the jumping second hand (i.e. the second hand jumps from second to second in quanta rather than progressively) pocket watch. Other inventions were the thinnest watch and the first skeleton watch.

In 1882, Audemars Piguet began producing complication watches.[6] The Swiss brand started to be known as the leader of the firsts in the watch making industry.[12] In 1889, Jules-Louis and Edward-Auguste exhibited some of their more complicated watches at the Universal exposition in Paris, France.[12] In 1891, they created the smallest repeater movement in the world (18mm diameter).[7] One year later, they launched the first minute repeater watch.[12]

In 1893, Audemars Piguet began making wristwatches[7] and produced the first wrist minute repeater in the world for Louis Brandt.[7] Three years later, the "Grande Complication" pocket watch was launched.[6] It was equipped with grand and small strike, minute repeater, perpetual calendar, deadbeat seconds, chronograph with jumping seconds and split-seconds hand.[6] In 1915, Audemars Piguet presented its Grande Complication collection which featured 400 pieces.[7] The same year, the company created the smallest five-minute repeater movement.[12]

In 1920, the company produced a sophisticated fob watch comprising 16 complications (tourbillon, large and small chime, equation of time indicator, perpetual calendar, sidereal time indicator, and a blue enamel dial engraved with 315 stars which reproduced the night sky above London, where the watch was delivered.[7] One year later, the first jumping-hour wristwatch emerged from the AP workshops.[6] In 1925, Audemars Piguet introduced the world's slimmest pocket watch (1.32mm).[7][13] In 1929, for the first time, sales of wristwatches outstripped sales of fob watches[7] but with the 1929 stock market crash followed by the Great Depression, consumers could no longer buy expensive watches[12] and the company was forced to lay off most of its employees.[12]

Starting in 1932, sales rebounded and Audemars Piguet continued its development.[12] In 1934, AP developed the first skeleton watch, a watch making specialty forgotten since the 18th century.[7] The skeleton watch allowed the moving parts of the caliber to be seen beneath the dial.

The two world wars were very tough times for companies. As the others, Audemars Piguet had suffered. During this period only two watchmakers were working for the company. Few timepieces were created. The Women Jewelry timepiece dated 1932 was one of them.[2]

After World War II AP was able to rebound on the market by producing a range of ultra-thin chronograph models. In 1946, Audemars Piguet created the smallest mechanical caliber in the world (1.64mm).[7] The sales of Audemars Piguet started growing in the 1950s and 1960s.[12]

In 1955 Audemars Piguet introduced world's first perpetual calendar wristwatch with leap year indicator ref. 5516.

In 1967, the company developed the world's thinnest automatic movement (2.45mm) with a gold central rotor.[7]

After the 70s, AP continued to release a number of industry firsts, such as the ultra-thin perpetual calendar wristwatch with central rotor, self-winding ultra-thin tourbillon, self-winding grand complication, wristwatch equation of time with perpetual calendar, and high frequency chronometer with double-balance AP Escapement.

In 1986, AP invented the first self-winding ultra-thin wristwatch with a second time zone.[7] The tourbillon carriage was then the smallest ever made.[6] The company also launched a rectangular wristwatch with minute repeater and jumping hour, composed of 412 pieces, and a ladies' watch with minute repeater and carillon.[7] In 2000 came the launch of "Tradition d'Excellence", a collection of crafted timepieces showcasing traditional and innovative complications.[6] In 2005, Audemars Piguet sold the Edward Piguet Moss Agate Tourbillon, the first watch made with moss agate.[6]

In 2006 the company presented the fifth timepiece of the Tradition d'Excellence collection, inspired by an 18th-century design by watchmaker Robert Robin (1742–1799).[6] This watch was made in platinum, in a limited edition of 20 watches.[6]

That year Audemars Piguet introduced AP escapement, a lubricant-free escapement that beats at 43200 bph (6 Hz). The innovative design combines the reliability of a traditional Swiss lever escapement with high efficiency of a direct impulse escapement thus ensuring the optimal energy transmission and longer power reserve. The adjustment of the escapement is assured by two hairsprings placed on top of each other but offset at 180°. This particular disposition optimizes the mechanical precision by automatically compensating for possible defects in the equilibrium of the balance. It also allows for the replacement of the terminal curve, which is very delicate to make by a single spring barrel, thus allowing for better regulation.

In 2007, Audemars Piguet crafted the first case in forged carbon.[6]

Audemars Piguet is the most frequent winner of the Grand Prix d'Horlogerie de Genčve.
Quote:
And whilst we’re at it, it’s worth noting that although AP did introduce Forged Carbon in 2007 (LE Alinghi model), Hublot’s Carbon Fibre watches in 2009 are constructed significantly differently by way of as many as 15 layers of pre-preg fabric, instead of chopped fibres in resin.
I'm very impressed that in addition to blatantly and shamelessly copying design elements from AP and PP, they managed to find a different way to do something that AP had done two years earlier, which seems to be a recurring thing with them. I'm also impressed with how in one case, who fixed a rubber strap to a watch is of paramount importance to you, while in another case, well, by golly they didn't do it first, but they did it "better".

Quote:
Hardly splitting hairs – facts are facts, and whilst Rolex may’ve acquiesced to some customers requests, they didn’t actively produce gold watches with tropical straps. It was MDM who devised that as a strategy for their Hublot model, and well… look what happened as a result.
I suggest you spend a bit more time researching the topic, as pointed out Rolex and other manufacturers actively sold models with these straps, which were quite popular per previous catalog pages I posted. And yes, it is splitting hairs to suggest that something which can be ordered from the manufacturer as OEM is not a production piece. Fact remains that Rolex sold (actively produced in your vernacular) gold sports watches with rubber straps decades prior to Hublot. Period. Hublot copied this idea just like they copied AP and PP to make the BB, or in algebraic terms, AP + PP = BB. Adios and enjoy your Hublot.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2019, 12:27 PM   #96
RolyMoly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horolojust View Post

I’ve never considered hublot ever, and then this showed up. Man; I’m tempted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, this whole post chain is literally cracking me up. So much heat on the subject of Hublot! I feel like a fist fight is coming on.

Anyways, I’ve had my eye on that SoBB too. I was thinking 45 but that 42 looks perfect on your wrist.
RolyMoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2019, 04:12 PM   #97
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolyMoly View Post
First, this whole post chain is literally cracking me up. So much heat on the subject of Hublot! I feel like a fist fight is coming on.

Anyways, I’ve had my eye on that SoBB too. I was thinking 45 but that 42 looks perfect on your wrist.
+1. There’s so much hate on Hublot. I (still) don’t get it. Anyways...

The SoBB in 42mm is nice. I tried one on earlier this year. It fits nice on my skinny 6.5” wrist. And it’s a very light watch. This model got me all warm and fuzzy:

https://www.revolution.watch/hk/hubl...big-bang-blue/
Old 30 July 2019, 04:34 PM   #98
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

There isn’t a Hublot I like that I can’t substitute with another brand ie AP and RM.. i was never interested in any of their watches until I saw their Unico Sapphire.. it was love at first sight. I of cos bought my very first Hublot. As expected it wears exceptionally comfortable and boy does it grap ppl’s attention! Under all lighting it is sparkling and the whole design with the translucent rubber strap makes it look so clean.. it is a definite keeper for me.

Btw I have worn it extensively as a daily beater and so far no ding and no scratches whatsoever. Keep amazing time and I have been using the chronograph very often in the kitchen cooking timing etc.. Impressive watch! “Tough like a nail” such irony when you know it is made of sapphire glass!

Prior to getting the Hublot, I have seen and tried on RM’s sapphire case and Jacob&Co’s Astronomia pieces. They too look out of this world.. J&C looks and feels really fragile on the wrist while the RMs seats very tail on the wrist. I find the hublot sapphire case is more wearable as a everyday beater. Of cos price wise is a “steal”.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2019, 02:19 PM   #99
s46
"TRF" Member

Hublot design is a copy of the AP
do some research and you will see how original designers got around making it a close replica
s46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2019, 07:44 AM   #100
JParm
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Too many LE's and the fact that a major London AD sent out an email on a Hublot sale on these LE's because they had been sitting forever is a huge turnoff.

not even getting into the nature of the brand itself which isnt attractive to a lot of people, luxury on sale is poison IMO.

Also... is it a LE if its not actually hard to get?
Are you talking about Omega or Hublot?
Old 1 August 2019, 02:18 PM   #101
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
There isn’t a Hublot I like that I can’t substitute with another brand ie AP and RM.. i was never interested in any of their watches until I saw their Unico Sapphire.. it was love at first sight. I of cos bought my very first Hublot. As expected it wears exceptionally comfortable and boy does it grap ppl’s attention! Under all lighting it is sparkling and the whole design with the translucent rubber strap makes it look so clean.. it is a definite keeper for me.

Btw I have worn it extensively as a daily beater and so far no ding and no scratches whatsoever. Keep amazing time and I have been using the chronograph very often in the kitchen cooking timing etc.. Impressive watch! “Tough like a nail” such irony when you know it is made of sapphire glass!

Prior to getting the Hublot, I have seen and tried on RM’s sapphire case and Jacob&Co’s Astronomia pieces. They too look out of this world.. J&C looks and feels really fragile on the wrist while the RMs seats very tail on the wrist. I find the hublot sapphire case is more wearable as a everyday beater. Of cos price wise is a “steal”.
I have handled this piece in person and agree that it is absolutely stunning.
It looks and feels special.

My brother was about to buy it (he's a big Hublot fan) but then opted out as he's pretty rough on his watches and dropping that one would shatter it.
PPFANBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 09:13 PM   #102
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
I’ve tried this while ago.

Not bad IMO

Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 10:24 PM   #103
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

How many rounds and under what code is the fight??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2019, 06:48 AM   #104
mfo33
"TRF" Member

Ive always liked hublots, i really really wanted an ice bang at some point.. but i got an AP 15400 instead. The ice bang looked great in photos, but in person, it loses out in terms of feel, finishing, and a clear caseback that just shows an ok movement (even vs. the 15400's undersized movement)

Im waiting for the moment they release a classic fusion with unico
mfo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2019, 07:12 AM   #105
dhknola
"TRF" Member

Has anyone tried to sell a Hublot? It seems like they do pretty poor on secondary market.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 02:31 AM   #106
PeqFB
"TRF" Member

Yesterday I saw a limited edition Hublot that was very subdued and looked fantastic. I would have bought if it but at $14,400 I felt it was significantly over priced.
PeqFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 02:40 AM   #107
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Tried on this Spirit of the Big Bang on a recent cruise.
Blew me away.
What an amazing watch.
It sold and moved to its new home Australia on the very last night of the cruise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F1569ACE-9435-471E-9764-04131F80ACE0.jpeg (84.5 KB, 369 views)
Old 14 August 2019, 08:54 AM   #108
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Blew me away.
What an amazing watch.
It sold and moved to its new home Australia on the very last night of the cruise.
They aren’t bad at all.
My Watches of Switzerland AD offers good discount for Hublot.
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 06:56 AM   #109
Bebop1337
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Batman
it's not frowned upon. they are quality pieces and choose to go a different sales strategy in which they don't choke the supply. i personally think they are beautiful pieces.
Bebop1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 12:46 PM   #110
shawndww
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 6542
Rolex for 10+ years and nothing except 1 or 2 wis comments. Big Bang for a day and I get wow what a beautiful watch ?
shawndww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2019, 02:52 PM   #111
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndww View Post
Rolex for 10+ years and nothing except 1 or 2 wis comments. Big Bang for a day and I get wow what a beautiful watch ?
I can relate! .. I own one Hublot. My first n only Hublot so far. Whenever I strap that watch on, WIS or non-WIS all wow at my watch!
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 04:27 AM   #112
111forza
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i agree a non WIS watch aimed at casual buyers, and that isnt the worst thing necessarily but we are all WIS here... the reverse is true of GS. Its kind of a WIS brand and casual buyers don't get it.
My thoughts exactly
111forza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 04:42 AM   #113
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

It’s a brand that exists because people buy the watches. All that really matters is what you like and what appeals to you.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2019, 03:53 AM   #114
Alan111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Blew me away.
What an amazing watch.

Wow, that's a sharp Hublot. Never heard of or seen it before. Looks very close to every single RM watch I've ever seen.
Alan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 08:56 AM   #115
TheSearcher
"TRF" Member

Has anybody every purchased pre owned and then got bored and sold on? I do not like any hublot watches bar one...classic fusion black magic 42mm and boy does it sing to me. I just know Im going to buy it at some point (pre owned). But want to understand/limit the hit I’ll take should I get bored or ever need to sell.
TheSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 10:16 PM   #116
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ41- champagne
Every time I want to start a new thread I search through the backlog of threads and sure enough almost all of questions has been debated/asked before.

Personally, I love the SOBB. Would love to add one to my collection one day. They definitely have a RM quality to them though and almost a direct rip off.

Talking watches with JCB made me think differently about the brand.
LOWERCASE GUY is offline   Reply With Quote