The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 5 March 2019, 09:15 AM   #1
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
324SC has <12 hour reserve on 2014 Aquanaut

Looks like it’s time for a servicing.

Thought I’d share this with folks, as I know mileage can vary.

Bought the watch Dec 2014 in Singapore from Hour Glass. A few months later it stopped working altogether. NYC Stern serviced it in early 2015 and fast, too.

So I got about 4 years of life out of a non daily beater that spends most of its time on a winder as I rotate through this and that.
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 01:33 PM   #2
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Thanks for the report......

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 01:44 PM   #3
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

Let us know how long it'll take this time around, if you're sending it to patek directly for servicing
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 07:18 PM   #4
PJ S
Banned

You really shouldn’t use a winder for such a simple watch.
That said, I would be leaning more towards the mainspring being at fault rather than wear elsewhere causing the drop in PR level.
If you have a local repair centre, as them to check the amplitude, which will be a good indication of the movement’s state of health.
It’s academic really, if my suspicion is correct, since you will need a new one anyway.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 01:21 AM   #5
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
You say you had Stern service. Sorry to hear of your problems with this movement. I have found that sometimes a movement just never works right no matter what service is done to it regarding the power reserve.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 04:57 AM   #6
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Update. Dropped off watch at Stern today. Official estimate is 14 weeks. $1031 for service. If I had sent the watch in via a dealer, they add three more weeks for generating an estimate. If any parts are needed and not on site, it will take longer.
Old 22 March 2019, 05:04 AM   #7
PatRoll
"TRF" Member

I had similar scenario with my 5127. Purchased it new from an AD in 2012. In 2015 the calendar stoped working properly (sticky date issue). Went back to full service. In dec 2018, the same sticky date issue returned. Was talk the watch needs new full service. Just got it back. All is fine but am a bit frustrated that it needs to be serviced every 3 years... The watch has the same movement as the Aqua (324).
PatRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 05:38 AM   #8
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
14 weeks?! sounds like service times have improved but still are not where they should be for a simple 3 hand movement.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 07:59 AM   #9
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
14 weeks?! sounds like service times have improved but still are not where they should be for a simple 3 hand movement.
That's what she said! I mean, that's what the service agent said...it used to take longer.

For those of you who have never been to H. Stern before, it's an interesting experience. The decor is all in the Patek style, with cream paper walls, browns the same tone as the watch boxes, brass and gold trim. The common room has some soft chairs and tables and Patek books.

Unlike RUSA's office where you sit in a common area and wait your turn for service, at Stern, you are quickly placed into a private room, with a desk in the middle that divides the room. Opposite the desk is a door, and that is where the service agent enters and exits. It's all very Swiss and discrete. Water is offered.

I always fantasize that Thierry is going to pop in to say hello and confirm that the sound on a minute repeater is sufficiently pleasant or that the agent mentions that there just happens to be a 5711 that somehow is available for purchase for some bizarre reason.
Old 22 March 2019, 08:53 AM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

I really miss Patek when they were a wonderful company. It shouldn't take more than 4 to 5 weeks to fix your watch. And I miss the old office, it really exuded high-end class. Service times were much shorter too and David was always a joy to discuss life, love, and time :-)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 10:33 AM   #11
PatRoll
"TRF" Member

Is anyone else servicing their Patek every 3 years? It feels way too frequent for a simple calendar watch, especially given the price of service. I have an Omega Seamaster with an ETA movement from 2005 and it works just fine without any service. Not even to mention Rolexes.
PatRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 10:57 AM   #12
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Man that sucks. Going to be very hard to wait for it. Patek isn’t what it used to be.

I’d be happy to pay you MSRP for it.
Old 22 March 2019, 11:03 AM   #13
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
Man that sucks. Going to be very hard to wait for it. Patek isn’t what it used to be.

I’d be happy to pay you MSRP for it.
LOL. How about you pay MSRP for my oh so very nice 5227G-001 instead? I'll toss in the PP matte brown croc strap, too.
Old 23 March 2019, 12:07 AM   #14
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemeister View Post
LOL. How about you pay MSRP for my oh so very nice 5227G-001 instead? I'll toss in the PP matte brown croc strap, too.
Heh. ;)
Old 23 March 2019, 12:17 AM   #15
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Try keeping it off a winder. You say off and on and being rotated but as far as the watch is concerned, when kept on a winder, you may as well been wearing it non stop.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 12:22 AM   #16
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Try keeping it off a winder. You say off and on and being rotated but as far as the watch is concerned, when kept on a winder, you may as well been wearing it non stop.
I thought it’s good for the fluids to keep it on? In the meantime the 5227 is fine with the same movement and age.
Old 23 March 2019, 12:27 AM   #17
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I thought it’s good for the fluids to keep it on? In the meantime the 5227 is fine with the same movement and age.
There will always be two camps on this, mine and yours. I have never used a winder and never had any issues. These watches use such little oil and advanced materials that I think you are doing more wear and tear by keeping them running all the time.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 11:18 AM   #18
Dr Watches
Banned

Quote:
It’s not like the case is half full of water. The oil is viscous. It’s generally staying put.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 09:30 AM   #19
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Update. I called to get a status check. Watch completed and ready for pickup today. Exactly 14 weeks. So at least the estimate was spot on accurate.

-Hoping to grab my currently overvalued baby tomorrow.
Old 28 June 2019, 10:54 AM   #20
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
There will always be two camps on this, mine and yours. I have never used a winder and never had any issues. These watches use such little oil and advanced materials that I think you are doing more wear and tear by keeping them running all the time.

I agree with the two camps about winders, but I’ve never had anyone say to me with any watch I’ve bought say something like “just make sure you don’t wear it all of the time,” and I’ve never seen in any manual say something like “store the watch for a week every so often to reduce wear and tear.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote