The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 March 2019, 01:17 PM   #1
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Buying a Patek from the UK when in the US... No import duty from the UK to the US?

First, I'm in the USA.... There is a Patek 5396 I am very seriously considering on Chrono24 and it is from a seller who is in the UK. The seller is a trusted and established business who has been on Chrono24 for 5+ years with 100+ positive feedbacks and advertises in all of their ads that there is NO import duty on watches they ship from the UK to the US. I sent a private message to them on Chrono24 inquiring and they indeed confirmed this is the case. While this is a good thing for me, I was under the impression there was import duty on private internet purchases from the UK to the US, especially luxury goods like Pateks?

I would like to pull the trigger on this 5396, but not if I'm going to get hit with a sizable import duty bill when I receive the watch.

Can anyone here provide clarity on import duty from the UK to the US? Is there some special arrangement where there is no duty on products imported to the US from the UK that I'm not aware of?
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 02:12 PM   #2
gpwhite
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Journe
Yes, you will pay 1 or 2% duty on entry to the US, based on declared value of the case of the watch and some filing fees. The seller might pay those on your behalf, however, depending upon how you set your terms of purchase.

A larger cost could be the sales or use tax levied by the state in which the buyer receives the shipment. California, for example, will charge you that tax on the basis of the import document, which it will take from the carrier pouch information.

If Washington, DC does not levy sales tax, then you would have only the US duty mentioned above.
gpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 02:30 PM   #3
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Interesting... So any Patek I buy overseas, I would have to pay state sales tax on?
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 12:44 AM   #4
gpwhite
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Journe
If you have your purchase delivered into a state that charges sales tax (sometimes they broaden it to use tax as a catch all), then that agency can assess you. In California, the state is extraordinarily aggressive about it. Other jurisdictions may not be as organized on this point.
gpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 12:47 AM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
Interesting... So any Patek I buy overseas, I would have to pay state sales tax on?
technically yes. same goes if you buy a watch in NY and ship it to Texas... you are kind of "importing" it into texas even though it was state to state.

Sales tax is levied by states and import duty is levied by the federal government.

To get it into the country its like 3% or something then yes, a state could tax it too.

In reverse US to UK you just pay the import fees +VAT since the sales tax is a national sales tax and not by region
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote