The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 March 2019, 11:53 AM   #91
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I find it odd this was moved to the patek section. Lol
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 01:11 PM   #92
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
I am just happy to get back 90-95% of what I paid on my Pateks.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 03:06 PM   #93
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with wanting to purchase watches that have a propensity to appreciate. It’s actually one of the great aspects of this hobby, at least that’s what I tell my wife...

Unfortunately most of the really hot pieces are hot because they appreciate so quickly on the gray market. It will be very hard to acquire one through an AD. So I would recommend taking a step back. Enter the watch hobby first as a passion. Buy what you like from an AD and start that relationship. You may get the opportunity to eventually start to buy some of the more desirable pieces then and you can move your collection to where you want it to be from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 March 2019, 10:10 PM   #94
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlz View Post
... but one of those is watches and what I find particularly appealing is they can be a way to preserve capital or even gain if you purchase the right product. These would likely pass onto my children.
Thanks for taking the posts here as a gentleman that you are.

Just buy whatever you want at whatever pricing they are today. Since you know the models you want can not be purchased from an AD due to high demand, gray market is for you. Not sure you're current allotted investment would give you a 'meaningful' discount, yet hopefully you can get something less than full gray market pricing.

In the end what REALLY matters is that you enjoy your time.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:55 PM   #95
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Why be binary? Use AD and GM (grey market)

AD>=GM & AD<=GM: model by model - evaluate the best path for the times ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 11:20 PM   #96
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
That amount of investment is not going to carry you very far with either brand in terms of moving the needle at an AD. You'd probably do better getting onto lists if you bought that much in diamonds or other jewelry from them, perhaps PM Rolex.

Ultimately with that much to spend if I was you I'd be looking at vintage Rolex, try to get a single piece.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 11:50 PM   #97
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
Oh my gosh guys. Seriously? I think the statement I made can be interpreted without all of this clarification.
I reiterate my apologies...my neuroses sometimes get the best of me.

To the OP: another approach you might take is a swing-for-the-fences one. Look for one of these newer releases that have been widely panned. The AP Code 11:59 or the Tudor Black Bay P01 come to mind for me. Today’s trash could be tomorrow’s treasure. Look at what happened to the Daytona. You couldn’t give them away when they first came out.

Most likely, you will take a big loss on it, but there’s always a chance another generation could like these pieces. Plus, buying one of these could be your ticket to a spot on the waiting list for a hotter piece.
Old 24 March 2019, 12:04 AM   #98
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Your strategy only works if you up the ante by a digit
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 07:29 AM   #99
controlz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Your strategy only works if you up the ante by a digit
My thoughts are that it's not just about what you spend, but who you are as a person, how much publicity the dealer/brand may get as a result of you wearing their pieces, and how much the dealer actually likes and respects you.

As with everything in life, it's all about relationships.
controlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 07:38 AM   #100
controlz
"TRF" Member

p.s - could a mod please move this back to the Rolex forum as it's about Rolex AD's and not Patek.
controlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 07:39 AM   #101
danestaff
Banned

Watch: 5968a
Quote:
Originally Posted by controlz View Post
My thoughts are that it's not just about what you spend, but who you are as a person, how much publicity the dealer/brand may get as a result of you wearing their pieces, and how much the dealer actually likes and respects you.

As with everything in life, it's all about relationships.
And if its about relationships the AD doesn't care about publicity, in this day and age anyone without a relationship are calling all AD, S,

and let's be fair about it anyone who wants to show of there watch and tell everyone what they own are fools

And none of us like passing on our AD details incase we get bumped, we are all selfish

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
danestaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 08:11 AM   #102
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Investing in watches isn’t necessarily a bad idea, but it’s a bad idea if you are not extremely knowledgeable in watches. First the obvious watches to buy such as the 116500LN you mentioned are probably not the best investments, first they are extremely hard to get at retail, so most people buy them grey, which is almost double the price of their value, a bad investment already. The 4 and 5 digits are probably the one to get, but to make money you have to understand the watches, the trends, the market, you have to love it and breath it. Buying what everybody wants now isn’t necessarily what will be valued 10-20 years from now.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote