The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2019, 09:43 PM   #1
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

Baselworld 2019 - Rolex Got It Right

I feel that Rolex is being unjustly criticised for their 2019 announcements. Firstly, we all know how popular the GMT pepsi is on the jubilee bracelet so it makes perfect sense for Rolex to start offering the batman with a similar style strap. The GMT black was possibly the least popular of all the stainless steel GMT's and did nothing to reflect the inhouse skills required to manufacture a two tone bezel so dropping that was a sensible decision. I think the new GMT is a great addition and I doubt it will impact on prices of existing GMT's but I may persuade people to buy a Batman that previously only considered the Pepsi because of the strap.

The Yachtmaster range needed something to raise its profile. A larger case size is clearly in keeping with current trends, the white gold is probably the PM that is most sought after and by utilising the oysterflex it appeals to the ever growing group of people who feel a gold bracelet on a gold watch is just too ostentatious. It's no longer PC to display your wealth in such a blatant way (unless you're Trump of course).

The decision to introduce a two tone Seadweller makes perfect business sense. All the watches that Rolex sells are aspirational purchases. Don't anyone try and tell me that they take their Gold Sub scuba diving or their Daytona around the race track. Okay, so maybe one or possibly two of you might but let's be totally frank here, the majority of these watches are only brought out when it's safe to do so. We may look at them and even wear them regularly, but I doubt you fix the car or build a wall with it on your wrist.

The new Day-Date and Datejusts are bringing the new calibre with the extended run time to market which is absolutely vital. We will see every single watch with a 70 hour power reserve in the fullness of time. These watches have always been the bread and butter for the company and they have large appeal for an ever-growing market across Asia and the Far East

We shouldn't expect Rolex to grant us our wish-list every year or any year for that matter. The company does not need to be on-trend and constantly do things to appease investors and shareholders. Whilst we all complain that our grail watch is never available for purchase, I for one would worry that if every watch that Rolex manufactured was in every AD and each time one was sold, it was immediately replaced by another from out the back. You would begin to think twice about spending all that money on something that is served up like fast food.

Thanks for listening!
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 09:50 PM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It’s was a drab year in my books.

I keep saying it ... but I think Basel should be every two years.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 09:54 PM   #3
Goin2drt
Banned

They got it wrong and for being a premium brand got shown up by others. I also agree every 2 years.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 09:55 PM   #4
zengineer
"TRF" Member

They did what was best for them, which for Rolex is a very different thing than almost any other watch brand. Most brands are driven by "what can I do that will increase sales". I doubt that comes up very often in the Rolex boardroom.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 09:55 PM   #5
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
By that logic you’d cancel the 116610 LN and LVc and replace them with two two tone inserts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 09:59 PM   #6
artschool
"TRF" Member

I think it was underwhelming
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:11 PM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

I agree with your first point, but we've been spoiled the last few years with great releases and so if they are going to have a quiet one then now is the best time.

I don't with your second, I'd have Basel or a release event every 6 months, I do love all the hoopla and I know you do too secretly, Brian.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:17 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I agree with your first point, but we've been spoiled the last few years with great releases and so if they are going to have a quiet one then now is the best time.

I don't with your second, I'd have Basel or a release event every 6 months, I do love all the hoopla and I know you do too secretly, Brian.

It's ok Neil, we can agree to disagree on the second point.

I guess sometimes it feels to me like overload and perhaps we expect too much year after year. An every other would be fine by me

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 23 March 2019, 10:19 PM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

It's ok Neil, we can agree to disagree on the second point.

I guess sometimes it feel sot me like overload and perhaps we expect too much year after year. An every other would be fine by me

Tbone would never say it's too much... who is this?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:23 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Tbone would never say it's too much... who is this?
it's his alter ego

Old 23 March 2019, 10:24 PM   #11
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Now everyone is going to buy an explorer 1, and explorer 2. Great...
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:27 PM   #12
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

It’s hard for people here to look at Rolex the way 90+% of their potential customers see it.

The vast majority will only ever be interested in buying one watch. There’s a thread on here showing that even on TRF, 50% of respondents own one Rolex.

So, for the vast majority, who may save up for months or years to buy a watch, they’re spoiled for choice as to what that watch might be. A classic steel DJ? An iconic Sub diver with black bezel? Practical GMT? The choice is almost endless, though this aspirational buyer will struggle to buy some of the watches because they don’t have an AD relationship or because they aren’t loaded. More hot watches in the line-up will make almost no difference to this kind of customer.

Many TRF-ers on the other hand - the tiny minority of customers - want to see more and more hot watches because their collections are full of all the current Rolex watches they like. Many here won’t struggle to get the watches because they’re whales and/or have cultivated solid AD relationships. When a Basel goes by with nothing for this group, there is outrage.

Why would Rolex cater solely for the latter group? Especially when, despite the negativity, I bet my collection there won’t be many TT SD43’s and YM42’s left on the shelves.
Old 23 March 2019, 10:29 PM   #13
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
I agreed!
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:29 PM   #14
Dukac
"TRF" Member

Can i buy the Basel 2019 GMT II with Jubilee bracelet with all black ceramic bezel?
Dukac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:45 PM   #15
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Fact of the matter is — not every year can be as ‘exciting’ as a ceramic bezel stainless Daytona...and the stainless BLRO - period.

Think back to the Stainless SkyDweller — that ‘took off’ WAY more than anyone had anticipated... some other models need a bit of a refresh before more hype-ed up models can be created.

And this also provides Rolex with some time to release some watches— fill some orders and calm people down a bit....

We’ll see.....

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:47 PM   #16
Lurizzle
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukac View Post
Can i buy the Basel 2019 GMT II with Jubilee bracelet with all black ceramic bezel?

Nope. Doesn’t exist. All gmt pieces now feature multi-colored bezels

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Lurizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:54 PM   #17
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
Fact of the matter is — not every year can be as ‘exciting’ as a ceramic bezel stainless Daytona...and the stainless BLRO - period.
Agree. They must give people some time to breath. Very hard to get all the latest models so it makes no sense to release new hot watches every year and not make them available at retailers. This year was weak but it's a good thing in my opinion.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:56 PM   #18
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post

Think back to the Stainless SkyDweller — that ‘took off’ WAY more than anyone had anticipated... some other models need a bit of a refresh before more hype-ed up models can be created.

And this also provides Rolex with some time to release some watches— fill some orders and calm people down a bit....

We’ll see.....

True

Bit of a dud year for me in that nothing Rolex came out with will I be looking to buy... But not complaining about it.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:59 PM   #19
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
The fashion trend is currently faux vintage for mechanical watches. And most brands are buying into it.

I see Rolex fighting the trend with ultra-modern pieces--until now: moving away from oyster in steel and adding a jubilee bracelet to a GMT is a nod to the past. Same with the two-tone: the bi-color is reminiscent of a fashion that belongs to the 70s.
Old 23 March 2019, 11:02 PM   #20
G M Francis
"TRF" Member

Overall I thought it was underwhelming and that’s ok, it’s hard to knock it out of the park every year and by the way Rolex moves very slowly which is a big part of the brands allure.
I didn’t care for the TTSD but put my name down for a Batman( Batgirl?) when the news came out. My real dissatisfaction was with Tudor, I like the brand and love my BB and I’m waiting for a GMT to come. I though they would have done a couple of bezel colour changes and maybe a 39mm BB date just to keep the pot boiling.
G M Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 11:03 PM   #21
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I respectfully disagree with your thoughts on Basel 19. This was the worst showing, in my opinion, for Rolex in modern memory and I have been with the brand for more than 25 years. Rolex appears to be rudderless in both direction and willingness to at least try to build watches that their customers want. Not watches that they want us to have. Every time Rolex does something that does not seem logical some will say that there is a bigger plan and they do not answer to a anyone. I would say a another option is that they suffer from an overall arrogance that is shared by some in the Swiss watch industry that they are more important than the customers and they will be here and customers come and go. The world is changing and has changed and the poor customer service, inability to supply product and lack of information will negatively impact these companies. I used to think that the Smart Watch and other cheaper watches would not impact the high end watch industry. But, when a lot of people get burned in the bubble burst that is pending I believe you will see many move on never to return. Just my thoughts and sort of a rant but as I like to say. "It is what it is."
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 11:06 PM   #22
Odie-r
"TRF" Member

I still like the brand, even if this year was a little more subtle with releases. I'm happy to own what I do, and will be interested to see what they do next year!
Old 23 March 2019, 11:07 PM   #23
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:

How about we just release watches at random and update their delivery system to the 21st century. It doesnt need to be a blown out pat on the back week long session. It is archaic. Just think about it. Yes trade shows are in every industry but that doesn't mean every release has to be announced at said trade show. It can simply release some and others throughout the year but present all at the show. I believe this would make for a more interesting year. Also, it would create more buzz at different times not all at once.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 11:08 PM   #24
omx5o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Wipe away the tears and enjoy what you have.
omx5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 11:21 PM   #25
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
How about we just release watches at random and update their delivery system to the 21st century. It doesnt need to be a blown out pat on the back week long session. It is archaic. Just think about it. Yes trade shows are in every industry but that doesn't mean every release has to be announced at said trade show. It can simply release some and others throughout the year but present all at the show. I believe this would make for a more interesting year. Also, it would create more buzz at different times not all at once.
I have mixed feeling on this approach. I get what you’re saying though Eliot, all this delayed gratification gets to be a bit much
Old 23 March 2019, 11:25 PM   #26
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Not every year is going to be a giant release. In fact, most years shouldn't especially with a brand like Rolex that moves in very small steps. I think the changes to the GMT-Master II were a mistake. The new BLNR is a beautiful watch, but it's foolish to remove the Oyster bracelet option. As far as the LN being the least popular GMT, that may be so, but some people preferred a less colorful option for the popular sport model.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 11:25 PM   #27
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58
Really?

Present: BB58 | BB36 | GMW-B5000D-1JF | 6900-PT80

Past: 16610LN | 16622 | 116610LN | 214270
dr35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 11:29 PM   #28
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Not a very exciting Basel for Rolex. I’m hoping this will help with more BLROs being delivered to ADs. I’m still waiting for one.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 11:30 PM   #29
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
I have mixed feeling on this approach. I get what you’re saying though Eliot, all this delayed gratification gets to be a bit much
Compounded with the lag time. I mean yes it is a way to gauge demand but there are smarter and cheaper ways like focus groups of big collectors and luxury good buyers sworn to NDAs. It isnt hard.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 11:34 PM   #30
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Yes. Rolex already moves slower than anyone else with styles and changes. Even 2 years, nothing Rolex does is outside their comfort zone. This is why Rolex is timeless and holds its value. You want yearly change, look at Omega. This also reflects their ability to screw over their customers with making their watches outdated with horrible resale value.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote