The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 14 December 2017, 08:09 AM   #31
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
He still is an ardent liberal with many radical beliefs that give me pause.
Unnecessary considering the context was about a positive thing an individual did. Its a sad state of affairs when someone's character can be shrunk down into their ideology as if that is what is relevant. How about, he is a human who did a nice thing for other humans?
Old 14 December 2017, 08:30 AM   #32
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I just had to correct the title of this thread after reading all the posts.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Old 14 December 2017, 09:45 AM   #33
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
I just threw up in my mouth. Crap

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 14 December 2017, 10:13 AM   #34
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
I always thought he was a bit of twit (being polite as possible) mostly due his political views and his need to shove em down the throat of the general public but if he gave me a million bucks my friendship would be sealed for life

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Old 14 December 2017, 10:50 AM   #35
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Sounds like a great guy

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Old 14 December 2017, 10:53 AM   #36
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsfrank View Post
Apple news app had an article about George Clooney that reflected his generosity and consideration. Recently on a plane trip, he distributed to all the passengers noise canceling earphones with a note apologizing for the fact that he brought his twins with him and his wife. He noted the twins occasionally cry. The same article quoting a friend of his who said that in 2013 he gathered his 14 best friends for dinner. He gave them a suitcase. Then he proceeded to tell them how indebted to them he was. That when he came to LA they were there for him and if it were not for them he wouldn’t be in the position he is in today. When they opened the suitcase there was $1 million in $20 bills. He even paid the taxes for that year for each of the recipients. Now that’s what I call gratitude and a class act.
sure but he did screw over louis griffin

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 14 December 2017, 11:05 AM   #37
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I just threw up in my mouth. Crap
Yup. That's perfectly normal and acceptable human behavior.

I always throw up in my mouth when I read a story about a genuinely nice or considerate thing that someone did.

Perfectly normal in every way.

Anyway, it was fun while it lasted. Some people really can't check their hatred at the doors I guess.
Old 14 December 2017, 11:24 AM   #38
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

Anyway, it was fun while it lasted. Some people really can't check their hatred at the doors I guess.
I don’t think you should be so hard on yourself.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 14 December 2017, 11:29 AM   #39
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Well there's our fly in the soup. It was only a matter of time.
dP
when i read the title, i thought, this won't last.

its a shame, really, how divided conversations about simple things like this always scale down to BS blaming and shaming, on both sides.
Old 14 December 2017, 12:07 PM   #40
Star Ferry
Banned

My opinion on George Clooney and most celebrities has nothing to do with politics. I simply have no desire to aggrandize people who've had enough validation for 100 lifetimes.

He portrays characters on film. If he messes up, he can do 15 more takes. And he gets paid 100s of millions for doing this...
Old 14 December 2017, 01:28 PM   #41
Wing Zero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 ~ 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
I feel a little better about having a celebrity endorsement for my watch.

Seems like a good guy.

Good taste in watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 14 December 2017, 10:57 PM   #42
austinp
"TRF" Member

Seems like he would be fun to hang out with. I read somewhere that he loves to play pick up basketball games so that's cool in my book.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 14 December 2017, 11:41 PM   #43
Hooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
My opinion on George Clooney and most celebrities has nothing to do with politics. I simply have no desire to aggrandize people who've had enough validation for 100 lifetimes.

He portrays characters on film. If he messes up, he can do 15 more takes. And he gets paid 100s of millions for doing this...
All the more reason to appreciate someone who seemingly has everything and can still be a humble and kind individual who is loyal to those around him/her!
Old 15 December 2017, 12:47 AM   #44
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
He was flying commercial??

that’s the first thing I laughed about. No way he flies commercial anywhere. It wouldn’t be worth it he’s too famous and too rich.
Old 15 December 2017, 03:11 AM   #45
BravoOne
Banned

it seems the if one had a cool million dollars to give away, there would be many more deserving groups than a bunch of far left, like thinking, uber rich liberals that would appreciate that kind of donation. Yo top it off, I suspect the story is another piece of altered news. Wonder what the source for this story was?
Old 15 December 2017, 03:33 AM   #46
hsm
Banned

love the watch, its got 'the look', I never did like the 3 dials on the Daytona, 2 looks classier

it could be a story, it could be true, depends how much bread he's got I suppose,

on balance I think it's probably true.
Old 15 December 2017, 03:33 AM   #47
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Some posts here are simply unbelievable, you guys will argue about anything.

I don't care for Clooney or celebrities in general, whoever he is or could have been on this Earth this remains quite generous of him, it should be left at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoOne View Post
it seems the if one had a cool million dollars to give away, there would be many more deserving groups than a bunch of far left, like thinking, uber rich liberals that would appreciate that kind of donation. Yo top it off, I suspect the story is another piece of altered news. Wonder what the source for this story was?
Bunch of far left, like thinking, uber ruch liberals? Is that the definition of "his best friends"? Wonder what the source for this label you are putting on these people was.

As far as more deserving groups, make sure you keep that in mind next time you want to spoil someone you love.
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
Old 15 December 2017, 03:35 AM   #48
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Clooney is a class act. Parents traveling with infants shouldn't feel obligated to apologize for their crying, it's only natural. But as he had the means to take care of the passengers in some way, I have to say that is a very gracious gesture.
I agree, we flew to Oz with a 6 month old, that was very stressful worrying about the other passengers but he was as good as gold the entire flight.

I’ll be honest, I would be annoyed if I’d saved up for a holiday of a lifetime travelling in first and there were 2 crying babies next to me so noise cancelling headphones seems a thoughtful idea.
Old 15 December 2017, 03:39 AM   #49
hsm
Banned

I had a holiday recently, on the flight back everybody was made to suffer toddler twins that were totally out of control, the mother dident give a damn, no father, the mothers mother was trying her best, it was outrageous, they were way too young to travel, she should have holidayed at home for a few years, but that's people today, entitled and to hell with everybody else.
Old 15 December 2017, 04:00 AM   #50
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
He seems like a nice guy and a loyal friend. His political beliefs are his own and none of our business quite frankly. If you don't agree with his beliefs that's fine but keep it to yourselves, your beliefs aren't any more 'right' or 'valid' than his.
Old 15 December 2017, 04:09 AM   #51
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
He seems like a nice guy and a loyal friend. His political beliefs are his own and none of our business quite frankly. If you don't agree with his beliefs that's fine but keep it to yourselves, your beliefs aren't any more 'right' or 'valid' than his.

Cutting someone else down over something as stupid as politics just makes you look like an insufferable jerk.
If you're interested, look up Clooney's comments about Heston and his illness. Those comments that Clooney made were completely based on his own political beliefs. Heston had said that he never met Clooney in person. That fits firmly into your definition of an "insufferable jerk".
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Old 15 December 2017, 04:12 AM   #52
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
and I suppose this is why we dont typically talk politics here.....

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 15 December 2017, 04:28 AM   #53
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
I agree, we flew to Oz with a 6 month old, that was very stressful worrying about the other passengers but he was as good as gold the entire flight.

I’ll be honest, I would be annoyed if I’d saved up for a holiday of a lifetime travelling in first and there were 2 crying babies next to me so noise cancelling headphones seems a thoughtful idea.
Travel with kids can be tough and unpredictable, and as long as the parent or parents look to be trying their best to deal with the process, I'm good with that.

We've traveled with our kids since they were both very young, as young as 6-8 weeks if memory serves. Any kid under 12 months simply can't be reasoned with, so it's all about keeping them fed, keeping them entertained, and trying to get them to sleep when they're fussy. My wife and I used to joke that we had to "choke out" our first kid WWF/WWE style when he got cranky in the 6-18 month range, which was essentially just cradling him snugly until he realized there was no way out and took a nap on one of our laps. The short screaming-bloody-murder transition was always rough, but ultimately was only a five minute disturbance to other passengers, and he would wake up chipper.

Now the kids are 4 and 8 and travel like champs, carry their own crap in backpacks, and chat with the pilots when possible to get their kid passports signed. In fact they are the least annoying passengers on the plane to sit next to since they take up so little space and share the armrests.

Regarding some of the antagonistic comments in this thread, simply out of place
Old 15 December 2017, 04:35 AM   #54
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
If you're interested, look up Clooney's comments about Heston and his illness. Those comments that Clooney made were completely based on his own political beliefs. Heston had said that he never met Clooney in person. That fits firmly into your definition of an "insufferable jerk".
I'm sure everyone has said some things at some point that they probably wish they could take back. I know I have. I'm not sure what he said or what the context was. I'm not defending him or condemning him. He seems like a nice enough guy generally speaking, his politics don't enter into it. By the way, Paul Newman was pretty liberal in his views too and some consider him to be a pretty nice guy and hold him in high regard despite his political views. Anyway, I removed the comment about insufferable jerk from my earlier remarks as I don't mean to inflame the conversation.

I guess this is why they don't allow conversations about politics here.
Old 15 December 2017, 04:36 AM   #55
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
I'm sure everyone has said some things at some point that they probably wish they could take back. I know I have. I'm not sure what he said or what the context was. I'm not defending him or condemning him. He seems like a nice enough guy generally speaking, his politics don't enter into it. By the way, Paul Newman was pretty liberal in his views too and some consider him to be a pretty nice guy regardless.

very well said!!

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 15 December 2017, 04:58 AM   #56
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm sure everyone has said some things at some point that they probably wish they could take back. I know I have. I'm not sure what he said or what the context was. I'm not defending him or condemning him. He seems like a nice enough guy generally speaking, his politics don't enter into it. By the way, Paul Newman was pretty liberal in his views too and some consider him to be a pretty nice guy and hold him in high regard despite his political views. Anyway, I removed the comment about insufferable jerk from my earlier remarks as I don't mean to inflame the conversation.

The remark Clooney said was in regards to an Alzheimer's joke he told at an awards ceremony about Heston. He then said that Heston deserves anything anyone says about him because of his involvement in a certain organization. Independent of political beliefs, that one struck me. My Grandfather and two Great Aunts passed away from Alzheimer's. I spent two years as a caregiver for one of my Aunts. Maybe he just had a "bad day"?
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Old 15 December 2017, 05:12 AM   #57
hsm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
The remark Clooney said was in regards to an Alzheimer's joke he told at an awards ceremony about Heston. He then said that Heston deserves anything anyone says about him because of his involvement in a certain organization. Independent of political beliefs, that one struck me. My Grandfather and two Great Aunts passed away from Alzheimer's. I spent two years as a caregiver for one of my Aunts. Maybe he just had a "bad day"?

yes, the callous ruthlessness, and downright spite always comes from a certain side I am afraid, usually accompanied by wild cheers from its audience.
Old 15 December 2017, 05:20 AM   #58
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsm View Post
yes, the callous ruthlessness, and downright spite always comes from a certain side I am afraid, usually accompanied by wild cheers from its audience.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, he pisses a lot of people off too and that's where the negative comments come from in this thread. I've never come across someone who has said something like that about a victim of an incurable disease who was generally considered a "great guy". Especially considering how public the comment was and then doubling down on it.
Old 15 December 2017, 05:30 AM   #59
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Unnecessary considering the context was about a positive thing an individual did. Its a sad state of affairs when someone's character can be shrunk down into their ideology as if that is what is relevant. How about, he is a human who did a nice thing for other humans?
Just to make my point, (in an admittedly extreme case) Hitler loved his dog and cared for it very well, he also made nice building and highways for his people; his ideology is what we hate about the man. Ideology often fuels ones character without notice, but the relationship remains.
Additionally, if I were paid tens of millions of dollars to "act" I'd be generous with friends and acquaintances too.
Old 15 December 2017, 05:36 AM   #60
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
Just to make my point, (in an admittedly extreme case) Hitler loved his dog and cared for it very well, he also made nice building and highways for his people; his ideology is what we hate about the man. Ideology often fuels ones character without notice, but the relationship remains.
Additionally, if I were paid tens of millions of dollars to "act" I'd be generous with friends and acquaintances too.
There was also a nice write up about his place in "Homes and Gardens" 1938
Closed Thread