The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 July 2019, 02:49 AM   #1
JodyHighroller
Banned

Omega Planet Ocean Service Woes

Hi all,

I’ve only had my Omega Seamaster PO for ten months, but it’s been at the Swatch service center for a total of three months now.

First repair was due to the incorrect spring bars being installed when testing a rubber band at the Omega Boutique here in Dallas. I brought it back to the store and they assured me they reinstalled the correct bars. (They were wrong).

Second service visit was due to the hands not being in sync with the hour markers. (Apparently this is a common issue). This repair took the longest as all the hands were on backorder. Finally got the watch back and the hands lined up great! But there were smudges underneath the crystal. Back it goes..

Third service visit was to remedy the smudges from the previous visit. Got the watch back today with weird half circle outlines near the date window (see attached photo). You can see it immediately once you step out into the sun or inside a room with bright lighting. At this point, it’s obvious they are not competent enough to clean a crystal. I cleaned the exterior of the watch for good measure and to confirm.

I called the hotline again today and will be sending it to their NJ service center instead of the Culver City location. The rep mentioned she will have management look at the watch and most likely replace the crystal since it’s still under warranty. She wants to get a different set of eyes on it instead of the CA location.

Needless to say this will be most likely be my last Swatch product. Anyone else have this amount of trouble with Omega / Swatch Group?
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 03:44 AM   #2
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
That's too bad, that is a really cool PO. The circles look uniform, I wonder how they cleaned the crystal, and if it's actually stripped away the AR coating under it?
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 04:17 AM   #3
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

I feel your pain.......I had a CK2998 Pulsometer that I owned for five months and had in my possession for three weeks. The rest of the time it was at the UK Service Centre thanks to repeated condensation on the underside of the crystal. It almost put me off Omega but a replacement watch and another faultless watch since have enabled me to keep the faith. I'm sure the NY Service Centre will sort it, Omega are usually great watches, Good luck
stevedssd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 02:16 PM   #4
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Too bad for your experience, it is a fantastic looking watch. I have an older PO, it is due for a servicing in the next year or two, keeping spot on time so far. My local AD is a reliable shop, they have a skilled watchmaker, and perform factory certified servicing on several brands. Suggest you find someone like that, hopefully your experience will improve and you can get to enjoying that fine timepiece.
Old 17 July 2019, 09:01 PM   #5
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I understand how you feel and it would be disappointing to have these issues. I think you have a great watch and I would try to get it straightened out. If they can not then off the watch would go to be replaced with something that did not have the issues. Good luck and keep us posted.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 12:11 PM   #6
JodyHighroller
Banned

Just wanted to update this and close it out. I received my watch back this Saturday and all is well! I got in touch with a manager at the NJ Swatch Service Center and I explained my disappointment thus far and my exceptions. He fully understood and said he would make sure things are set right on this fourth repair visit.

The watchmaker requested to replace the hands again for discoloration and said he could clean the crystal. I refused the idea of cleaning the crystal because it hadn't worked the other times, so I pressed for a crystal replacement. Turns out that was the right choice because after I reviewed the old parts which were sent back, the inside of the crystal was indeed scratched. They somehow damaged the anti-reflective coating as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Nonetheless, I am a happy camper that the manager honored his word, got things sorted, and even sent back the watch overnight with Saturday delivery in order to avoid the Labor Day holiday delay.

A side note: I wore my Rolexes back to back while I was waiting for the Omega to be completed at service. As a result, my taste seems to have shifted away from the busy chrono dial, top heavy weight, and bulkiness. I'm thinking about selling or trading it in. I'm going to sit on it for a bit being I don't want to make an impulse decision, but then again I don't want to have a timepiece siting in it's case that I'd hardly wear.
Old 5 September 2019, 01:46 PM   #7
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Glad to hear it got sorted. And glad to see they ultimately gave you a new crystal. I would be rattled too, if I had to keep going back for one problem after another. During the second visit, it seems they exacerbated the crystal problem.

Recently had my wife's Constellation full service done. It came back in pristine condition, but I don't know which SC the OB sent it to.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2019, 04:57 AM   #8
PSTW
Banned

I’m sorry for your trouble - short answer, yes.

I had a 2500 vintage PO from new and had a lot of trouble with it. Long story short, it stopped out of the blue, just out of warranty. I sent it back to Omega for service and after a handful of attempts to repair it, the last time it come back to me, for reasons that defy explanation by me, it had moisture in the case.

I complained, of course and though I was annoyed with the difficulties, they replaced it with a newer model at my nearest boutique. I sold that, bought a Submariner and haven’t been back to the brand since, though I do take an interest in their releases.

Top that off, both of my brothers had the same watch, bought around the same time as me p both had them fail. One was repaired successfully and the other was written off. Rather than replace that one with a newer model, Omega built a new 2500 vintage PO in the factory to replace the faulty watch. I understood this to be quite a while after the 2500 PO had ceased production - I was told it was likely the last 2500 PO that would ever be made.

So I’ve had my difficulties with Omega and I’ve had my moans about the 2500 PO particularly, given the high rate of failure in my experience, but I’ve found Omega service here in the U.K. and in Switzerland to be, in the end, very good.

After a good while away from the brand now, I would go back, but need them to make a watch I have to have.
PSTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2019, 06:30 AM   #9
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Sorry brother I think it's just a batch of bad luck. Hopefully you can get to the right person who will turn it around for you quickly this time considering all you have been through.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2019, 08:20 AM   #10
ron2368
"TRF" Member

I have a question about the comment of the hands not being in sync w the hour markers.

I was watching a Railmaster video on youtube and even though the second hand was right on 12, the minute hand was always between the minute markers. I figured this was a user setting issue, not the watches fault. I think I am confused on how that works. Thank you
ron2368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2019, 03:14 AM   #11
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron2368 View Post
I have a question about the comment of the hands not being in sync w the hour markers.

I was watching a Railmaster video on youtube and even though the second hand was right on 12, the minute hand was always between the minute markers. I figured this was a user setting issue, not the watches fault. I think I am confused on how that works. Thank you
The minute hand syncing with seconds hand is adjustable through the crown. The minute hand sync with the hour hand is dependent on how the hands were set during assembly and is not adjustable by the user.
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2019, 03:58 AM   #12
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
About 8 years ago while my Speedy was still under warranty, it needed service for a winding spring issue. I read quite a few threads which were uncomplimentary of the NJ service center, so I decided to send to Seattle. They added a Decimeter bezel for me and at my request, performed no refinishing of either case or bracelet. The service updates were regular, and the experience was completely satisfactory the first time.
Old 18 November 2019, 12:05 PM   #13
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

I had a 2500 PO that had misaligned hour markings, dust under crystal and scratches after coming back from warranty repair. The movement was the overall issue. I ended up selling the watch because I had enough of it.

6 years later and I have an 8900. Loved the PO so much, I wanted to give them a second shot. No issues with dial markings or any imperfection, touch-wood.
Old 18 November 2019, 12:58 PM   #14
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousmoose View Post
I had a 2500 PO that had misaligned hour markings, dust under crystal and scratches after coming back from warranty repair. The movement was the overall issue. I ended up selling the watch because I had enough of it.

6 years later and I have an 8900. Loved the PO so much, I wanted to give them a second shot. No issues with dial markings or any imperfection, touch-wood.
Glad to hear I’m not the only one who has had trouble with them lol.

I ended up selling my PO two months ago. Even though the service center finally got things squared away, I just didn’t care for the watch anymore as my taste had changed. I’m taking a break from Omega at the moment, not sure I’ll go back go be honest.