The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 November 2019, 02:46 AM   #31
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
I've never seen the point in cobbling together a set that didn't come with the watch...I'd feel like a fraud, more to myself than to others.
Fair point, but the same could be said for replacing service parts on a vintage Rolex with old period-correct parts, and collectors/hobbyists obsess over such things.

I think there's some satisfaction in restoring a vintage watch to its original "look," including the accessories that came with it.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 03:05 AM   #32
Chunky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red, 116710
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Fair point, but the same could be said for replacing service parts on a vintage Rolex with old period-correct parts, and collectors/hobbyists obsess over such things.

I think there's some satisfaction in restoring a vintage watch to its original "look," including the accessories that came with it.
I agree with this
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 10:20 AM   #33
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post

We certainly do obsess. Which is why a cobbled-together set of accessories would bug me.

You make a fair point about replacing service parts with period-correct parts, but actual watch parts are functional rather than something that will just sit in a cupboard like box and trinkets will. I see a difference, but I understand others may not.

Is there a duty to declare that the acccessories aren't original to the watch when it's sold on? As this thread has shown, it's hard to know exactly what the original set included...
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 06:30 PM   #34
jackruff
"TRF" Member

Watch: eclectic..
I agree with zapokee...kinda pointless and that's why unless provenance is solid "a set" is not worth more than the watch itself... If you look at the the amount of ephemera/accessories available default should be cobbled together and not worth the premium...
jackruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2019, 10:53 PM   #35
subx
"TRF" Member

beware, : those waves booklets have print dates, and for your 3M watch you need a first print year... most common ones are 1973, which would be too late for your watch.
my 2cents
subx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2019, 01:45 AM   #36
Chunky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red, 116710
Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
beware, : those waves booklets have print dates, and for your 3M watch you need a first print year... most common ones are 1973, which would be too late for your watch.
my 2cents
And a lot of fakes...
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote