The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 June 2019, 05:36 PM   #421
ThomasAndy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me now.....
Since the Submariner had its first 12 years without date, the original Submariner was a NO DATE.
It was made for divers in 1954 and did not get a date before 1966 with the ref. 1680.

That’s why I got the ND. True to the original and a clean awesome look.
ThomasAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 08:31 AM   #422
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Hello,

New member here. Nice meeting you all.

I read through this entire thread and it was a pleasure reading everyone’s thoughts and opinions, as well as viewing some awesome watches. I realize that it’s an old thread which has been answered long ago, and that the OP happily decided upon the Submariner.

I’m 59 years old and have wanted a Rolex Submariner as long as I can remember. The heroes of my youth sported one; Sean Connery, Roger Moore, (James Bond), and Steve McQueen. Hard to get much “cooler” than these guys.

But I never remotely considered actually owning a Rolex. I always figured they were for the extremely wealthy, which I have never been.

I’m very blessed financially however, and retired. Turning 60 this year and thought, “what the heck?” The Rolex Submariner would be a great 60th birthday gift (to myself, though; I wouldn’t ask my lovely wife for a gift of this value!)

So, I did some online research, and saw the two options regarding the date and eventually found my way to this thread. I had already been leaning towards the “Submariner” for most of the reasons stated in this thread and after enjoying all of the comments, I remain convinced that the “Submariner” is perfect to me. Absolutely stunning in it’s gorgeous simplicity.

Plus, being retired, I rarely have to write or refer to the “date.”

Anyhow, I just broached the idea to my sweetheart this morning (I texted her at work with the watch photo and and floated the idea out there.) She seemed enthusiastic, so we’ll talk more this evening.

Thank you to everyone who posted here; it has been illuminating and very helpful!

Michael
Michaeli Paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 09:29 AM   #423
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeli Paulo View Post
Hello,

I read through this entire thread and it was a pleasure reading everyone’s thoughts and opinions, as well as viewing some awesome watches. I realize that it’s an old thread which has been answered long ago, and that the OP happily decided upon the Submariner.

I’m 59 years old and have wanted a Rolex Submariner as long as I can remember. The heroes of my youth sported one; Sean Connery, Roger Moore, (James Bond), and Steve McQueen. Hard to get much “cooler” than these guys.

But I never remotely considered actually owning a Rolex. I always figured they were for the extremely wealthy, which I have never been.

I’m very blessed financially however, and retired. Turning 60 this year and thought, “what the heck?” The Rolex Submariner would be a great 60th birthday gift (to myself, though; I wouldn’t ask my lovely wife for a gift of this value!)

So, I did some online research, and saw the two options regarding the date and eventually found my way to this thread. I had already been leaning towards the “Submariner” for most of the reasons stated in this thread and after enjoying all of the comments, I remain convinced that the “Submariner” is perfect to me. Absolutely stunning in it’s gorgeous simplicity.

Anyhow, I just broached the idea to my sweetheart this morning (I texted her at work with the watch photo and and floated the idea out there.) She seemed enthusiastic, so we’ll talk more this evening.

Thank you to everyone who posted here; it has been illuminating and very helpful!

Michael

Michael, excited for you! Either one is a classic! Congrats, and welcome!
Old 13 June 2019, 09:36 AM   #424
briweed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello,

Michael
I like stories like this. You should treat yourself and enjoy the entire experience of obtaining, wearing and admiring the watch! Best of luck on your decision and journey!

B
116710LN "M" / 116680 "Random"
114060 "Random" / 116610LV "Random"
briweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 03:29 PM   #425
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Hello,

Michael
Go for it
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 10:59 AM   #426
skkali168
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116689
Date so
Useful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
skkali168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:05 AM   #427
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Hello,

Michael
Thanks for sharing Michael, great story

Do you have an update for us
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:39 AM   #428
jed11
"TRF" Member

So clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 11:42 AM   #429
quitwhining
"TRF" Member

I was definitely a ND person, and then I saw the Sub Date. The funny thing is that I always thought the Cyclops was goofy - until I tried it on. It's awesome.

I guess in theory I agree that the ND is purer, simpler, classic. But in practice, I wouldn't trade my Sub Date.
quitwhining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2019, 12:52 PM   #430
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

I recently sold my SubC date and am on a waiting list for a Sub no date. I prefer the cleaner look on a Submariner.

That being said, I'm glad the GMT has a date. I think it goes better with that watch. I don't know why.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2019, 05:28 PM   #431
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
I recently sold my SubC date and am on a waiting list for a Sub no date. I prefer the cleaner look on a Submariner.

That being said, I'm glad the GMT has a date. I think it goes better with that watch. I don't know why.
A GMT no date would be kind of strange
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2019, 08:17 AM   #432
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Thanks for sharing Michael, great story

Do you have an update for us
Yes, I’m the “Ode to the Rolex Submariner guy!” I know you read that thread already, but understandably didn’t connect me with that thread! ;)

Thrilled!!!

Michael

Old 24 November 2019, 09:39 AM   #433
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats! Wear it in good health (& kudos for the follow-up)!
Dr.Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2019, 10:57 AM   #434
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
I like the simple symmetry of the Submariner. Plenty of other watches w the date. So pure and direct. No cyclopes is a good thing.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 05:40 AM   #435
subdaytonadjfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
For my first Sub I decided to stay true to the original, and the fact that I don't often check the date using my watch (iphone, laptop, office wall calendar...etc)
subdaytonadjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 06:31 AM   #436
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
I’m with the date not for the sake of the date per se but for the cyclops. I personally think the cyclops is one of Rolex best features. It’s practical, it’s typical and it give the crystal a third dimension.
Old 26 December 2019, 06:40 AM   #437
donk344
Banned

The Nd is a better choice.

donk344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 09:47 AM   #438
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joearch View Post
I like the simple symmetry of the Submariner. Plenty of other watches w the date. So pure and direct. No cyclopes is a good thing.
Beautiful, I got mine a few weeks ago.
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 10:20 AM   #439
jed11
"TRF" Member

jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 10:43 AM   #440
mjrchabot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116000, BB36
114060 for me everyday ... Owning a 116000 and Tudor BB36 has taught me you don’t need a date on a watch. There’s something beautiful about the simplicity of a watch that simply tells the time. I’m on a waitlist for a 114060 too, so I might be biased.

But as a tool watch, the 114060 is the practical choice. The added symmetry of the dial is purely a bonus :)

mjrchabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 11:06 AM   #441
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

5513... case closed
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 04:21 PM   #442
Michaeli Paulo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdaytonadjfan View Post
For my first Sub I decided to stay true to the original, and the fact that I don't often check the date using my watch (iphone, laptop, office wall calendar...etc)
I’ve seen guys wear their watches “below the bone” but this is ridiculous !!!

Old 26 December 2019, 04:22 PM   #443
Jonah10
"TRF" Member

No date is cleaner if that’s the look you want. If not then gotta have the date.
Jonah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 05:50 PM   #444
Panych
"TRF" Member

I have the ND and love it. No any regret of preferring this to the Date.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk
Panych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 08:29 PM   #445
skkali168
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116689
Date

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
skkali168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 08:32 PM   #446
Marast-66
"TRF" Member

No date , timeless classic

Marast-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 09:47 PM   #447
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
I’m a no date fan - the simplicity just works.

Old 26 December 2019, 10:25 PM   #448
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Yes, I’m the “Ode to the Rolex Submariner guy!” I know you read that thread already, but understandably didn’t connect me with that thread! ;)

Thrilled!!!

Michael

Belated congratulations
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 07:00 AM   #449
Mandy01
Banned

Watch: 126333, 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post

I had the Sub date and sold it to get the Sub 114060, cleaner, pure, more simple, more balanced, love it very much.
Mandy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 07:01 AM   #450
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
I prefer the Submariner vs the Sub Date with the black dial. Always have.
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote