The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 29 May 2012, 03:13 PM   #1
pelon
Banned

Watch: Sea Dweller
Why does anyone buy a Tudor?

...I realize I'm kinda new, but having owned, bought and sold about a dozen various Rolexes over the years, why would anyone buy a Tudor?

Is it price alone? I can't imagine having to say over and over..."Uh yes, it is a Rolex....really it is...It's made by Rolex...etc..."

I don't get it.....can someone explain?

Thanks
Old 29 May 2012, 03:20 PM   #2
DS_Obsessed
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660 V
Mine was a gift. But to be honest I have coveted them since the tiger chronos. I think they make some sharp watches. Price is never an issue when I put something on my wrist, it's more of a personal preference.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”
Old 29 May 2012, 03:30 PM   #3
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Tudor has a fine history and makes a great watch. Some people just like 'em, myself included.
Old 29 May 2012, 03:31 PM   #4
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Why/when would you ever have to "explain" what it is???

Person: "That's a nice watch."
Me: "Thank you."
Person: "Do you mind if I ask what brand it is?"
Me: "Not at all. It's a Tudor."
Person: "I've never heard of that."
Me: "They're great watches."
Person: "Thanks. Have a great day."
Me: "Good day."

Tudor watches are amazing watches at a great price. It fits a niche where people don't want to spend so much money on a Rolex, but want something of similar quality, styling, and history.

Commissioner of WEIRD POLICE , Badge # ecsub44
Old 29 May 2012, 03:33 PM   #5
HRV
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX
each to their own.......

I don't know why people buy mickey mouse quartz watches, but they do!
Old 29 May 2012, 03:37 PM   #6
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
You don't. You say it's a Tudor because that in itself is enough.

Those that have had the pleasure of owning early Tudors know this and are well aware they've always been on-par with Rolex quality considering all the hardware was made in the same factories '90s and prior. Only difference is that there's a top grade ETA movement under the hood. Some see this as a drawback but ETA has always been Tudor by design as a means to allow those to own Rolex quality without the Rolex in-house price.

Even though they have gone a different direction they are still a remarkable value with the same attention to detail and are backed by RSC. It is also considered to be the "skunk works" for Rolex as they have more creative license in that an early Tudor Snowflake (an example among a few designs) wasn't a natural progression of the original Sub, but more so a cousin. This is even more apparent in the early Big Blocks all the way to post Tiger chronos that had numerous dial configurations (and with a date to boot). Nowadays this is arguably more apparent considering the Heritage line and the all Ti construction and new clasp in the Pelagos.

Have you ever held one? They are remarkable pieces and some of the rare early models command very high $$$$ and are highly collectable.
Old 29 May 2012, 03:38 PM   #7
mborkow
"TRF" Member

Watch: gmt2c pam372
Have you seen the new diving watches they are coming out with?
Old 29 May 2012, 03:46 PM   #8
pelon
Banned

Watch: Sea Dweller
What?!? Are you kidding?

I'm just curious why folks buy a Tudor as opposed to buying a Rolex-branded watch....never made sense to me.

Last edited by dalip; 29 May 2012 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: Removal of offensive quoted statement
Old 29 May 2012, 03:49 PM   #9
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelon View Post
I'm just curious why folks buy a Tudor as opposed to buying a Rolex-branded watch....never made sense to me.
Thing is most of Tudor owners here own and appreciate both. Hard to explain but that's really all there is to it until you get your hands on one or own one.
Old 29 May 2012, 03:59 PM   #10
Richj

Watch: Out Beadles About
For me it's a combination of great looks & engineering, a fine heritage, they are genuinely different, feel fantastic on your wrist... and I'm always amazed by the value they offer

These are my reasons; suggest you try one on if you want to form a balanced/informed opinion
Old 29 May 2012, 04:08 PM   #11
coopster9
Banned

Watch: SubC LN/ THC
Quote:
What?!? Are you kidding?

I am not kidding, its not at you personally but more towards that kind of mindset.

Likewise, I am just as curious why folks would wear undies with holes when they can afford a Rolex?
Old 29 May 2012, 04:28 PM   #12
glimmer
Banned

Well, why not?
Old 29 May 2012, 04:53 PM   #13
EE33
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 16710 116520
Coopster9, we have quite afew Singaporean members here at TRF, don't think they'll appreciate your crappy post. I don't either.

Punctuality is the courtesy shown only by Kings

Dalip: "GTG posts are worthless without pics, absolutely worthless"
Old 29 May 2012, 05:00 PM   #14
sherwin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopster9 View Post
I am not kidding, its not at you personally but more towards that kind of mindset.

Likewise, I am just as curious why folks would wear undies with holes when they can afford a Rolex?
and your point is? not everyone cares about their clothing. different people: different lifestyle.
Old 29 May 2012, 07:58 PM   #15
Chris B
"TRF" Member

Short answer,..
Because Tudors are very fine watches
Old 29 May 2012, 08:06 PM   #16
Elementa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai, Rolex
I don't want to get into the Rolex or Tudor (they are nice looking watches) question so this is a bit off topic. I've read that the Swatch Group may be limiting the availability of ETA movements to non-Swatch brands. What will that mean for Tudor?
Old 29 May 2012, 08:08 PM   #17
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Tudor have made some brilliant watches that I would love to own...

Vintage Monte Carlo
Snowflake Sub
79270 of course
Black Bay....
Old 29 May 2012, 08:14 PM   #18
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Why would anyone buy a Timex, or a Patek, or any brand in between? I think there are any number of reasons why they might buy a Tudor. But the fact remains that a Tudor is a very well made watch. So why wouldn't one buy a Tudor.

Have you seen the Black Bay?

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 29 May 2012, 08:29 PM   #19
Naya72

Watch: Keep it simple
Why? because I want one...
Old 29 May 2012, 08:38 PM   #20
caryyee
"TRF" Member

I would dare to say that Tudor are far more rarely seen in the wild than a Rolex. If I were in the market for a $3k watch, I would certainly consider a Tudor. In fact in that price range, what would it be up against? Omega are a little more pricey. So it would be up against a Tag? Or an Oris?? Against that company, Tudor would likely get my pick.
Old 29 May 2012, 08:40 PM   #21
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
...I realize I'm kinda new, but having owned, bought and sold about a dozen various Rolexes over the years, why would anyone buy a Tudor?

Is it price alone? I can't imagine having to say over and over..."Uh yes, it is a Rolex....really it is...It's made by Rolex...etc..."

Thanks
Why does anyone buy a Tudor well I will tell you why, first they are very fine watches, and they tell the time remarkably well just like there Rolex brothers..The Tudor line go back to the 1920s then they were mainly sold in Canada and Europe, Rolex or Tudor watches were not sold then in the USA then,it was very much later the the Rolex brand arrived for sale in the USA.Hans Wilsdorf from the RWC first opened Tudor watch to world wide production in 1946. And one of the main reasons why he chose the brand name Tudor,was simply that he wanted to pay tribute to the Tudor history period of old England.

The Tudor line prior to around 1990 was all Rolex except for movement,Tudor watches are made by Rolex. The major difference between a Tudor and a Rolex is that Rolex contracted the manufacturing of the movement out to a 3rd party manufacturer (ETA in 95% of them) much like Rolex did with there chrongraphs before 2000 they used ETA Valoux and Zenith movements. The ETA ebauche movements were made to Rolex's specifications and signed Tudor. This movement was then sent to Rolex where it was assembled into a watch with all Rolex remaining parts (Rolex case, bezel, strap or bracelet,dial, crystal and crown, seals, etc.). These parts were the same parts used in the Rolex line of watches. The Tudor movements are high grade 17, 21, 25, or 26 jewel Automatic or Manual movements which when correctly cleaned, timed, and oiled, will keep time almost as well as any normal Rolex would but might need more regulation over the years.

The case screw backs were engraved original oyster case by Rolex,on all the oyster models.In the gold or TT models Tudor uses genuine solid gold Rolex bezels and crown caps, but their bracelets are normally only gold filled,to reduce the cost while Rolex uses solid gold in their bracelets.The French Navy (among others) opted for the Tudor Submariner,instead of the Rolex Sub.
The French Navy demanded rigorous testing and tested several brands These watches were tested to carefully calibrated abusive tests in an attempt to destroy them to see how much abuse it could take before losing accuracy or malfunctioning .After testing they choose the Tudor and the only thing the French navy didn't order was the Oyster bracelet.They chose a nylon strap because it would be much more easy to change,and easily replaced if broken.And today the only step down in quality with Tudor watches in general is the price.The the main difference between a Rolex Sub and say a Tudor Sub is they used a top range Chronometer grade ETA a first class all in-house built movement but not Rolex made,and in watches like the Tudor Prince they used a light Oyster bracelet, on Subs they used the heavy Oyster bracelet.Now today the Tudor line has quite a heritage with Hans Wilsdorf the founder of Rolex.

In todays market quite a few vintage Tudor watches command higher prices than there Rolex brothers same could be said for Rolex, many of the most collectible Rolex dont have a Rolex made movement but ones from ETA Valjoux and Zenith .The Tudor line are still made in the same now highly automated factory as Rolex.While now would agree the Aeronaut,Hydronaut range are not quite as good as the Oyster cased ones but its still very very close.Tudor are still a very important part of the Rolex history and are great watches in there own right.But today with many they dont wear a watch they just wear a brand which IMHO is quite sad.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 29 May 2012, 08:42 PM   #22
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elementa View Post
I don't want to get into the Rolex or Tudor (they are nice looking watches) question so this is a bit off topic. I've read that the Swatch Group may be limiting the availability of ETA movements to non-Swatch brands. What will that mean for Tudor?
Not a problem Rolex has secured ETA ebauche movement for the Tudor line now and the future could even be a in-house one on the cards..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 29 May 2012, 08:50 PM   #23
rms
"TRF" Member

Watch: The one I have on
Quote:

Thanks
I would buy a Tudor for the same reason(s) I would would make any buying decision. In the case of a watch, simply because something about it "sings" to me. Up until recently, I never really thought about Tudor, but the new Heritage Black Bay looks really great in pictures. I can't wait to see one in person.

As far as saying over and over "Uh yes, it's really a Rolex" etc., well no one ever asks me about any of my watches, and I never talk about them. I wear the watch I wear for me, not for anyone else.

Cheers.
Old 29 May 2012, 09:07 PM   #24
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
What?!? Are you kidding?

Then trying to explain otherwise is an effort in futility. Why do you care?
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Old 29 May 2012, 09:10 PM   #25
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Then trying to explain otherwise is an effort in futility. Why do you care?
dP
I think he's not going to be happy until the Tudor owners dump their watches into the river.

Perhaps he was bitten by one as a child.
Old 29 May 2012, 09:19 PM   #26
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
I think he's not going to be happy until the Tudor owners dump their watches into the river.

Perhaps he was bitten by one as a child.
Although the River is only a few blocks away no dumping going on here!
Its real shame some need, no crave, the mystique of a brand to feel secure about themselves rather than just enjoying a watch because you like the watch.
Whatever floats your boat [......... down the river].
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Old 29 May 2012, 09:20 PM   #27
Puffy
"TRF" Member

i'd love the heritage chrono that dan pierce and a few other members have

you see tudors everywhere in APAC and they're great timepieces..

you never see them in Europe

i'd also love a vintage monte carlo...
Old 29 May 2012, 10:02 PM   #28
jdc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
Short answer,..
Because Tudors are very fine watches
x 2 and Tudor's don't need to be compared to a Rolex, most owners buy the watch not the brand, OP obviously does not understand that concept, if he did he would understand there are many fine watches that are not Rolex
Old 29 May 2012, 10:13 PM   #29
impalass
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD / LV / Daytona
Never heard of anyone having to explain their Tudor is a Rolex, or made by Rolex for that matter.

Tudor's have been available in Canada forever and bow to no watch, in fact in their price range they can't be beat imo.

In regards to movements did'nt Swatch recently commit to continue suppling Tudor indefinitely inspite of their current plans to restrict ETA's ?
Old 29 May 2012, 10:33 PM   #30
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I think the current Tudor offerings are very exciting, especially THC and the Pelagos.
Closed Thread