The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 October 2016, 11:54 AM   #1
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Strange Experience At AD- Accused of Being Reseller

Went to a small AD awhile back and ended up in a long conversation with the owner. When I got my wife a YM back in July, I contacted them first but their turnaround time was too slow so I went elsewhere.

Now in the market for a yg skydweller and a yg gmt- Paid them a visit- another long conversation about their family history and travails, discussed ordering the pieces and what I'd be willing to pay. I named a price that would be the most I would go and was told okay but maybe not definitively.

A couple of weeks later, owner counter offered my bottom line. Although I was under the impression we had an agreement, this is no big deal. They don't have to take my terms.

I was then accused of being a watch reseller. I repeated my name, reiterated what I do for a living (which is easily searchable) and was told, "everyone knows everyone in this business," and that she was told I was a reseller. Good to know AD's are willing to freely share their ignorance and erroneous information with each other.

There are worse things to be accused of than this and I normally wouldn't give a sh*t about such stupidity. What I find annoying is that there is a tacit implication that I conversed with this person, expressed interest in their family history, learned about some of their trials and travails over their years etc. whilst hiding my profit motives.

Last edited by dadonn2; 11 October 2016 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: Too long
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 11:59 AM   #2
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
I think your view point on dealers or resellers may be off the mark Dave, not theirs. Wow.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 12:09 PM   #3
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
I think your view point on dealers or resellers may be off the mark Dave, not theirs. Wow.
I'm thinking you're right although I'm not quite sure what you mean. I'm being hyper sensitive?
Old 11 October 2016, 12:09 PM   #4
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
can't argue with this statement.

and... i think we're done here.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 12:14 PM   #5
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Wait- I visit an AD twice, end up in a long conversation twice with the owner about their personal history, attempt to purchase two watches, get accused of being a reseller (as she'd asked around), get annoyed and I'm out of bounds? Maybe I am but I don't quite get it.
Old 11 October 2016, 12:16 PM   #6
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Since when are resellers dirt balls?
The AD doesn't even think that as when sales are down or something isn't moving and the bills are due, you know who they're calling to move the merchandise.
I'm looking forward to connecting with one of these dirt balls soon, as I've got the itch for a new baby.
I'm not reseller, quite the opposite in fact, but who cares what you do with your property once you've bought it? The AD is a moron, and delusional. Buy it and it's yours to keep, sell, give away, smash, or whatever you want.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 12:20 PM   #7
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Not sure why being a Rolex reseller or dealer is such a horrible thing? It's not like they thought you were dealing drugs. Most busseness people "schmooze" exchange personal stories before they try to make a deal for profit. I'm a bit confused by this post, sorry just my opinion.
Watchgeek5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 12:23 PM   #8
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

There's nothing wrong with being a reseller and I didn't say that resellers are dirtballs. Sorry if my post was misleading. I edited for clarity. What I think is wrong is not being upfront about your intentions.
Old 11 October 2016, 12:23 PM   #9
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonn2 View Post
Went to a small AD awhile back and enjoyed a good conversation with the owner. Nice people, interesting history and enjoyable repartee.

Always kept them in the back of my mind as I thought it would good to support a privately owned AD from my home state, near my home town. When I got my wife a YM back in July, I contacted them first but they stated it would have to be ordered. I wanted it for my wife's return from out of the country so I went elsewhere.

Am now in the market for a yg skydweller and a yg gmt for me and my oldest buddy. Paid a visit to them- had another long, friendly conversation, discussed ordering the pieces and what I'd be willing to pay. Given the purchase of two pm pieces and having a sister in London who I could visit, I named a price that would be the most I would go. Owner took notes and we exchanged hugs goodbye.

Got back in touch and owner said she needed to discuss discount with co-owner. No problem. Called back two days later and counter offered on my bottom line. Although I was under the impression we had an agreement, this is no big deal. They don't have to take my terms.

I was then accused of being a watch reseller. I was like WTF? I repeated my name in disbelief, reiterated what I do for a living (which is easily searchable) and was told, "everyone knows everyone in this business," as if I was trying to get away with something. Good to know AD's are willing to freely share their ignorance and erroneous information with each other.

Now there are worse things to be accused of than this and I normally wouldn't give a fat baby's dick about such stupidity. What I find mildly infuriating (yes infuriating of the mild variety) is that there is a tacit implication that I conversed with this person, expressed interest in their family history, learned about some of their trials and travails over their years etc. whilst hiding my profit motives. I'd consider that sleazy behavior. While I realize that the last guy who was perfect got hung on a cross, I've yet to be a Rolex reseller, disingenuous nor deceitful in such a capacity.

It doesn't thrill me that someone might falsely think I was a dirtball but have to remember that what others think of me is none of my business.

Thank you for letting me vent and if anyone has experienced similar treatment, I'd love to hear about this because it's odd. Guess I may be going to London.
the venting isn't out of bounds; its kinda calling resellers dirtballs.

ie: every TS and casual trader on the site.

i'm sure nothing ill was genuinely meant but its quite the kick to the groin comment.

peace out.
Old 11 October 2016, 12:32 PM   #10
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Absolutely nothing ill meant and it was certainly not directed at resellers, trusted and otherwise. I meant that not being upfront with your intentions and falsely taking a personal interest in someone while hiding your motives would be "dirtballish," in my opinion.

When I added I've never been a Rolex reseller, deceitful etc. it was saying that their assertions were untrue.
Old 11 October 2016, 12:33 PM   #11
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wait- I visit an AD twice, end up in a long conversation twice with the owner about their personal history, attempt to purchase two watches, get accused of being a reseller (as she'd asked around), get annoyed and I'm out of bounds? Maybe I am but I don't quite get it.
I'm with you, I have no idea what the other people are on about.

You are perfectly justified in being annoyed by this garbage behavior from the AD.
kunlun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 12:33 PM   #12
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Absolutely nothing ill meant and it was certainly not directed at resellers, trusted and otherwise. I meant that not being upfront with your intentions and falsely taking a personal interest in someone while hiding your motives would be "dirtballish," in my opinion.

When I added I've never been a Rolex reseller, deceitful etc. it was saying that their assertions were untrue.
no worries.

just egg their windows on halloween.

Old 11 October 2016, 12:35 PM   #13
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
no worries.

just egg their windows on halloween.

Maybe that or I can just buy the watches from a reseller.
Old 11 October 2016, 12:36 PM   #14
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
I've had AD's ask if I was a reseller. I explained that I was an enthusiast who is mainly interested in Rolex watches. I also explained that sometimes I get bored and sell said watches. They didnt seem to have a problem with it and proceeded to sell me whatever I wanted. I dont think AD's have any problem with resellers but it may be difficult to establish this kind of relationship over the phone. Obviously they have to be very careful getting into these kind of relationships with people as I am sure it is frowned upon by Rolex to mass sell models at good discounts to anyone in particular. This is just my viewpoint.

I am sure if you can establish yourself as a reputable reseller that has a good relationship with an AD they can provide a reference for you to their other AD friends. Its probably all about networking and getting your foot in the door. That's how business seems to go !
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 12:37 PM   #15
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe that or I can just buy the watches from a reseller.
If you want a Rolex AD in NYC, there are only 4.

I would try London down at the WTC mall, the manager is very nice and the main Rolex guy, Israel, is very nice as well.

I've been there twice and they've been super great both times.
kunlun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 12:38 PM   #16
jw0n
"TRF" Member

So YG Skydweller or YG GMT... how do these resell well on secondary market? Not too well, I reckon. That's a funny "accusation" from an AD. A sale is a sale, is a sale. I wonder why they responded the way they did.

Instagram: @itsjw0n
jw0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 12:39 PM   #17
themast
"TRF" Member

OP, I understand you being annoyed. You genuinely wanted to buy a watch and got denied because the AD had something against resellers and thought (wrongfully) that you were one. In the end, you can't do much but move on...

I think other posters are getting this the wrong way. Actually, it is interesting to note how some ADs have bad opinions of resellers.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 12:40 PM   #18
dominic.warren
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor LHD
The way I see it. You made an offer no matter your intentions they can accept or decline.
dominic.warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 12:41 PM   #19
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Hey Josh- good to know I'm not the only one and thanks. I spent over an hour in person with this person discussing watches, including illness in her family, Rolex coercing them into renovating the store, my work with animals and the litany.

I simply found it annoying that she'd hear this, because it isn't true and implies I was covering up my intention to sell the watches. Tone was a little "gotcha" and I take umbrage with anyone talking bs about me. After all, she supposedly got the info from another authorized dealer.
Old 11 October 2016, 12:44 PM   #20
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
OP, I think other posters are getting this the wrong way. Actually, it is interesting to note how some ADs have bad opinions of resellers.
In fairness to the other posters, I originally wrote a more drawn out post that led to some misunderstanding. I got the sense that she didn't think resellers were bad although there was this tone of outing me. I think there is some concern that selling to resellers could jeopardize their authorized status although the secondary market functions on this.
Old 11 October 2016, 12:45 PM   #21
Ritch99
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD and others
OP, you did nothing wrong. I occasionally sell, trade and deal in Rolex time pieces. I take no offense to anything you have said, or the way you said it. I don't blame you for being upset by that AD. Some of them are quite ignorant, not only with interpersonal interactions, but about product as well.

Cheers!
Old 11 October 2016, 12:48 PM   #22
Ritch99
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
I've had AD's ask if I was a reseller. I explained that I was an enthusiast who is mainly interested in Rolex watches. I also explained that sometimes I get bored and sell said watches. They didnt seem to have a problem with it and proceeded to sell me whatever I wanted. I dont think AD's have any problem with resellers but it may be difficult to establish this kind of relationship over the phone. Obviously they have to be very careful getting into these kind of relationships with people as I am sure it is frowned upon by Rolex to mass sell models at good discounts to anyone in particular. This is just my viewpoint.

I am sure if you can establish yourself as a reputable reseller that has a good relationship with an AD they can provide a reference for you to their other AD friends. Its probably all about networking and getting your foot in the door. That's how business seems to go !
I am glad you feel that way, but I have seen AD's ban individuals from their stores because they felt that person was a reseller. Crazy stuff...lol

And this is even though I know that they sell to a few individuals out the back door.
Old 11 October 2016, 12:49 PM   #23
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
In fairness to the other posters, I originally wrote a more drawn out post that led to some misunderstanding. I got the sense that she didn't think resellers were bad although there was this tone of outing me. I think there is some concern that selling to resellers could jeopardize their authorized status although the secondary market functions on this.
exactly.

no harm done.
Old 11 October 2016, 12:50 PM   #24
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritch99 View Post
I am glad you feel that way, but I have seen AD's ban individuals from their stores because they felt that person was a reseller. Crazy stuff...lol

And this is even though I know that they sell to a few individuals out the back door.
I would assume those individuals approached the AD in the wrong way. Its hard to tell as each situation is unique.

Sent by my pet Gekko
Old 11 October 2016, 12:51 PM   #25
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dads Omega Cal 601
You gotta be kidding me. I've flipped twice as many watches as I own. I guess we're all resellers?
Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 12:53 PM   #26
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Sorry, you lost me when you started taking about infant genitalia. Bizarre post.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 12:55 PM   #27
Beauregard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
Since when are resellers dirt balls?
The AD doesn't even think that as when sales are down or something isn't moving and the bills are due, you know who they're calling to move the merchandise.
I'm looking forward to connecting with one of these dirt balls soon, as I've got the itch for a new baby.
I'm not reseller, quite the opposite in fact, but who cares what you do with your property once you've bought it? The AD is a moron, and delusional. Buy it and it's yours to keep, sell, give away, smash, or whatever you want.
Well said.
Old 11 October 2016, 02:09 PM   #28
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Sounds like a waste of time for you and the AD.
Back to the watches... what SkyD and GMT are you looking at.
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 02:09 PM   #29
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
Dave, take your business elsewhere. We have never met in person or spoke to each other other than by email and this forum, but I feel and know you are a decent human being and do not deserve that kind of treatment from individuals who are supposed to sell you something. Some AD's have it all backwards. Who the hell cares if you are a reseller or not? If two parties come to an "agreement" in price, then all there is left is the exchange of funds and goods.

Don't think you are hyper-sensitive at all. If it were me and an AD wrongly accused me of this or anything, I would have been a lot less gentleman like in my response to them. You are willing to spend around $85k (I believe the US MSRP totals that) and they blow the deal. Unbelievable. After giving them a piece of my mind, I would have been on the phone with Rolex to report the incident.

Anyways, I wish you luck in your quest for these two fine timepieces my friend.
Old 11 October 2016, 02:15 PM   #30
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
Sounds like a waste of time for you and the AD.
Back to the watches... what SkyD and GMT are you looking at.
Champagne dial skydweller and black dialed GMT. Wish the skydweller came on a super president bracelet with microadjustments but that watch feels great on the wrist. Have had a love affair with the yellow gold GMT for awhile; she's outlasted everyone so maybe it's time to stop flipping stainless and settle down.