The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 March 2019, 10:18 AM   #1
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

How to even get a hold of your first Rolex

I'm looking at getting my first Rolex this year. I really like the new Batman (blnr) vs 116710ln. But I have no idea how to get a Batman. I'm number eight on the list at my local AD however I'm sure I'll drop even lower since I have no history with them and I'm sure they'll prioritize prior customers etc. So am I just stuck waiting a year or year and a half until inventory catches up or are there other avenues you all recommend? Calling other AD's even if they're not in my area etc?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
oxzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 10:25 AM   #2
calh22a
Banned

Many are going to suggest trusted seller/grey market if you’re tired of waiting. There’s no end in sight for the SS shortage. Also you’re unlikely going to get an old 116710 LN or BLNR at this point. The Ln is discontinued and Rolex just announced the new BLNR which is going to take awhile to hit ADs.
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 10:26 AM   #3
Jackumi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB, 116713LN
The only other obvious avenue is to get one from a gray dealer. I am sure they will start to appear for sale in a month or two. Then you just have to cough up around 2 x MSRP and job Done!
Jackumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 10:26 AM   #4
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Check with the trusted sellers here on the forum.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 10:27 AM   #5
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Trusted seller. Only option
ccaballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 10:29 AM   #6
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your reply. I am thinking at this point I may be picking up 116710ln from one of the sellers here and just waiting sometime until the Blnr becomes more available.

it's just crazy that I did not expect inventory to be this low. I guess that's part of what makes them hold their value but at the same time difficult actually get the one that I would want to have

Old 26 March 2019, 10:31 AM   #7
Jackumi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxzilla View Post
Thank you all for your reply. I am thinking at this point I may be picking up 116710ln from one of the sellers here and just waiting sometime until the Blnr becomes more available.

it's just crazy that I did not expect inventory to be this low. I guess that's part of what makes them hold their value but at the same time difficult actually get the one that I would want to have

Welcome to the crazy world of Rolex!
Old 26 March 2019, 10:47 AM   #8
zjd168
"TRF" Member

go grey if you plan to just buy one watch.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 10:53 AM   #9
biscotti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
With no purchase history with an AD, it's unfortunately going to be a very long wait. Truth is , you may not even be on their so called list.
biscotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 10:54 AM   #10
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
I would visit the AD often and wait it out. Actual face to face time could do wonders.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 10:56 AM   #11
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
I'm looking at getting my first Rolex this year. I really like the new Batman (blnr) vs 116710ln. But I have no idea how to get a Batman. I'm number eight on the list at my local AD however I'm sure I'll drop even lower since I have no history with them and I'm sure they'll prioritize prior customers etc. So am I just stuck waiting a year or year and a half until inventory catches up or are there other avenues you all recommend? Calling other AD's even if they're not in my area etc?

You won't get the new one this year without a buying history, since first wave may not even hit ADs until late Summer. Unless you buy a secondary market watch at a premium. Other choice is to wait it out on your AD list.

Sorry to make light, but I'm not sure Rolex ever envisioned anyone saying "But I have no idea how to get a Batman."....or maybe they did now that they supposedly use nicknames too lol
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 10:57 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum and best of luck in landing your first
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 11:06 AM   #13
nuts070
"TRF" Member

Another example of buying experience ruined...be patient, wait it out or go around AD's. The only way to stop all the madness from Rolex, ADs, flippers, greys and what not is for all of us delaying gratification.
nuts070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 11:23 AM   #14
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Not a good time to get into Rolex, both old BLNR and LN are discontinued, new BLRN are introduced but you have to be VIP to ave a chance to get one. LN priced has shot up ... Good luck getting in SS GMT from Rolex, for a 1st timer your chance is almost zero.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 12:34 PM   #15
Dompropat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Pay a fat premium for one with a trusted seller or gray
Dompropat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 12:42 PM   #16
DonBateman
Banned

Watch: I like watch
I would search the ADs in your area, even if you have to drive a bit. You are looking for a popular model so it’s not going to be easy. The best feeling in the world is getting the call and driving to the AD. It’s an exciting experience and you pay retail! Good luck.
DonBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 12:46 PM   #17
trfChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
Quote:
Unfortunately you are looking at two of the hottest models right now. The LN is discontinued so you'll have to go to the Gray market for that one (which will be expensive since everyone wants it now) and the new Batman will not be available at an AD for a long long time.

Why not look at other models? For instance the Submariner line which is probably the most iconic Rolex line but wasn't touched this Baselworld so isn't as scorching hot. If you want an SS model you likely cannot get one at an AD but the markup on the gray market is not too bad. For instance here is a no-date sub in excellent condition from DavidSW at pretty much MSRP ($7800):

https://davidsw.com/watches/rolex-wa...ner-no-date-5/
trfChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 12:52 PM   #18
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfChris View Post
Unfortunately you are looking at two of the hottest models right now. The LN is discontinued so you'll have to go to the Gray market for that one (which will be expensive since everyone wants it now) and the new Batman will not be available at an AD for a long long time.

Why not look at other models? For instance the Submariner line which is probably the most iconic Rolex line but wasn't touched this Baselworld so isn't as scorching hot. If you want an SS model you likely cannot get one at an AD but the markup on the gray market is not too bad. For instance here is a no-date sub in excellent condition from DavidSW at pretty much MSRP ($7800):

https://davidsw.com/watches/rolex-wa...ner-no-date-5/
I agree. Get your feet wet and see if the hobby is for you.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 12:58 PM   #19
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfChris View Post

l]
Thank you all for your comments again. I'm now realizing the game I'm getting myself into :-)

thanks for the suggestion about the sub. For some reason it just never has been appealing to me. Honestly most of the Rolex designs outside of the date just never really quite hit a bell for me. Except GMT which I think is quite usable for me and style wise balances out between the functionality of the tool.

Anyhow, I scored myself my first Rolex: Buying a 116710ln from Chad362wiley

Old 26 March 2019, 01:07 PM   #20
trfChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
Quote:
Thank you all for your comments again. I'm now realizing the game I'm getting myself into :-)
Yep, is a very strange game!

Quote:
thanks for the suggestion about the sub. For some reason it just never has been appealing to me. Honestly most of the Rolex designs outside of the date just never really quite hit a bell for me. Except GMT which I think is quite usable for me and style wise balances out between the functionality of the tool.
Yep, important to find what sings to you! Also agree about the usefulness of the GMT, that model is also my first and only Rolex!

Quote:
Well, there you go! Congratulations!
trfChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 01:54 PM   #21
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

How to even get a hold of your first Rolex

Quote:

You’re In!!!

Well, almost...now top up that TRF membership to become a 2019 Pledge Member...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 02:40 PM   #22
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
My suggestion is to take a liking to some references that are readily available and purchase one as your first Rolex.

That way you get a damn good watch to put on your wrist, which also happens to be a Rolex, and when the watch madness begins to simmer down, you will either have some funds saved up to buy your grail or you will have a watch you can flip to help buy the more coveted one.

Some will recommend this process, claiming that you won't be satisfied with anything less than your grail watch, but that is sort of the point.

Who knows, you might even come to like the less coveted watch to the point that you might not even desire the, by then, formerly more coveted one.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 02:59 PM   #23
Jackumi
"TRF" Member

My first Rolex was a 36mm Datejust, at the time I never even considered owning more than one Rolex. But like many on here, I loved the watch so much I got the Bug. So after a while I added a GMT then a Sub. I wear all in rotation or to suit my mood, each one feels special to me.

So as others have stated here it is not a bad idea to consider going for an OP or Datejust, I am sure you will love it, and then take your time seeking out your grail watch, or watches!
Old 26 March 2019, 03:01 PM   #24
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

Be careful when 'settling' for a different model. If you do, chances are in the long run (even if you flip) you'll end up spending more for the model you really wanted to begin with. But I get wanting to have a timepiece sooner as opposed to later. Sometimes being a WIS is not for the overly logical lol !!
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 09:40 AM   #25
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all your help. I did decide and finally picked something very happy with. But apparently I need 10 posts before I can put a picture up so here's one of my first post I can meet my 10

Old 28 March 2019, 09:41 AM   #26
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

There she is. Very happy with the subtleness of the black.

Old 28 March 2019, 10:41 AM   #27
biscotti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Congrats, looks great!
biscotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 10:55 AM   #28
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Congrats, the LN is a beauty. Another true Rolex classic, now sadly deleted from the line up.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 11:02 AM   #29
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Congrats! Well done on your first Rolex!
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 11:09 AM   #30
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

I bought this without even being able to see what it looks like in person and I'll tell you it is a gorgeous piece. I'm so happy I picked this up as my first!