The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 March 2019, 04:08 PM   #1
clb521
"TRF" Member

Another AD bites the dust

One of the AD's in Sacramento CA is no longer on the AD Rolex website.

Grebitus Jewelers RIP....

Curious what happened. They were talking about doing the required remodel.

I am really wondering what Rolex is planning on doing. My only guess is removing AD's and setting up Boutiques everywhere to control sales.
clb521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 04:58 PM   #2
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb521 View Post

I am really wondering what Rolex is planning on doing. My only guess is removing AD's and setting up Boutiques everywhere to control sales.
However, all the Rolex Boutiques (except for the one in Switzerland, I read) are NOT owned by Rolex but owned by ADs
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 05:13 PM   #3
Jojoshop
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Not sure that is true. In Italy, France and Germany I could confirm there are stores that only sell Rolex exclusively with no other brand name next to it. I will assume they are owned or franchised by Rolex. My point if it exist it can’t be unique to Switzerland
Jojoshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 05:25 PM   #4
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear that.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 05:34 PM   #5
quadraaa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojoshop View Post
Not sure that is true. In Italy, France and Germany I could confirm there are stores that only sell Rolex exclusively with no other brand name next to it. I will assume they are owned or franchised by Rolex. My point if it exist it can’t be unique to Switzerland
There are a couple of Rolex only watch stores in Berlin. One of them is actually Wempe (AD). Didn't check the other one but most likely it is Wempe as well.
quadraaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 06:02 PM   #6
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The only one owned by Rolex is the one in Switzerland.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 06:13 PM   #7
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
So what is inside a Rolex only store? Employees? Because surely not any watches.
Old 23 March 2019, 06:23 PM   #8
Karaez
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014, 16570
If it's not about sales figures, this AD may have sold watches to the grey market...
We have already seen Rolex removing sellers that are doing so.
Karaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 06:30 PM   #9
artschool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
So what is inside a Rolex only store? Employees? Because surely not any watches.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 06:39 PM   #10
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
I am really wondering what Rolex is planning on doing.
...............surviving the mechanical watch crisis that is coming.

Old 23 March 2019, 07:14 PM   #11
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes the Rolex boutiques only sell Rolex with no other brands. They are stand alone stores and owned by ADs not Rolex themselves except for the one in Switzerland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 08:16 PM   #12
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karaez View Post
If it's not about sales figures, this AD may have sold watches to the grey market...
Perfect. Close them all that are selling to gray's. Shut down the supply to those folks and we can actually get watches back into AD's. Funny how literally everyone here complains about AD's not having watches yet all those same people will buy a watch from a gray in a heartbeat. Can't have it both ways. I prefer the AD option.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 08:30 PM   #13
wytrader
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karaez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Perfect. Close them all that are selling to gray's. Shut down the supply to those folks and we can actually get watches back into AD's. Funny how literally everyone here complains about AD's not having watches yet all those same people will buy a watch from a gray in a heartbeat. Can't have it both ways. I prefer the AD option.
Lol at both of you.
Rolex loves the grey market.
And so does every owner of older wacthes shooting up in price.
It's the strategy decision Rolex is taking you should be mad at not the messenger.
126610LV
wytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 08:38 PM   #14
hon
"TRF" Member

Now the grey market for SS is totally different from the past, it's simply is chaotic.
How the grey market milking now on SS is doing more harm to the Rolex brand in long term.
Just look at 'P' brand in the past.
hon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 08:40 PM   #15
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytrader View Post
Lol at both of you.
Rolex loves the grey market.
And so does every owner of older wacthes shooting up in price.
It's the strategy decision Rolex is taking you should be mad at not the messenger.
Not true. I could care less what the value of all my MSRP purchased watches go up to. Unlike most I actually buy them to wear them and could care less the value of them as I will NEVER sell them.

If you think Rolex loves grays then close down all AD's, they can't survive on the crap they get to sell anyways. I would love someone to prove your statement. No one can. It is folks like you and the grays that perpetuate this knowledge that Rolex loves grays. I believe that they don't.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:14 PM   #16
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Used to be the other way round, but now the Grey’s own the market. Which is crazy.
Old 23 March 2019, 10:16 PM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
It does seem like the worst time in history to have this policy.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:19 PM   #18
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Rolex pulled a tudor ad from tourneau by me then forced mayors to remodel and add tudor. Guess when they were shut down to do it? January 2019 through april 2019. If rolex has this kind of pull with these two big boys mom and pops are done for.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:23 PM   #19
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I feel bad for people where their AD’s lose their status... have to start all over building history. Kind of stinks
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:31 PM   #20
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
It really does.

Who are Grays really good for anymore? I’m selling one watch right now, and after that I hope I’m done selling. Not that interested in watches anymore. Will keep a few like my WG gmt.
Old 23 March 2019, 10:40 PM   #21
Monty22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126715CHNR, 116400
Quote:

I stopped in that AD earlier this week while on a business trip. The assistant manager said they had been selling Rolex since WWII and the owners decided to sever the relationship because they were tired of turning customers away and couldn’t get watches to meet demand. I don’t know if that was the real story, but the place seemed legit. Their Rolex display was small and tired, so the potential remodel may have been a factor. The references remaining in the cases were the usual suspects....the place itself was a beautiful, old school place that sells a few other mid-tier lines and has a nice selection of watches cases and winders...too bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Monty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2019, 10:50 PM   #22
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Another AD bites the dust

Quote:
Not true. I could care less what the value of all my MSRP purchased watches go up to. Unlike most I actually buy them to wear them and could care less the value of them as I will NEVER sell them.

If you think Rolex loves grays then close down all AD's, they can't survive on the crap they get to sell anyways. I would love someone to prove your statement. No one can. It is folks like you and the grays that perpetuate this knowledge that Rolex loves grays. I believe that they don't.

I think it must be a little love-hate relationship. As of now with crazy prices on SS models, the fact that say a Daytona with a MSRP of $12k is regularly listed for $18k plus by gray dealers helps drive demand. It probably is the biggest reason non-WISs get into the game and make it harder for WISs to get these models. Anyone with a chance of getting one runs into their AD and gets on the list because it’s like an instant $6k profit, even if it is unrealized. On the other hand, I’m sure Rolex doesn’t like receiving profits on $12k when they could be getting them on $18k.

We all have our own collecting philosophies and are all at different stages. I’ve had watches I thought I’d never sell but did to upgrade and later consolidate. Rolex has had great value retention over time and I’m sure plays a role when anyone buys one. If the market were at a point where a Daytona dropped from $12k to $3k once you left the AD, they wouldn’t be nearly as popular.

srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 07:29 PM   #23
Motik
"TRF" Member

Grays sell on the net. How many ADs do?
Motik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 04:54 PM   #24
Dchan83
"TRF" Member

I had a deposit with Devon’s in Roseville for black sky but could not deliver within agreed deadline. I still don’t have one but two tones are looking affordableish...
Dchan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 10:48 PM   #25
sond86
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Odd seeing dealers cut in what would seem to be big markets. There’s a big gap od AD in large portions of the state! I guess one would need to drive hours to go to an AD
sond86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 11:12 PM   #26
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
funny how the boutique model for rolex gives you the impression you are buying directly from the brand, when in fact you are not.

Rolex gets better publicity and dont have to deal with customers or retailing watches one at at time.

The wholesale business is where i would was to be too and then to make AD's set up a store to look like i run it and make them take all the risk of moving the watches and tie up millions of dollars of their money in inventory.

Rolex sells to an AD and gets paid, none of this waiting for two years for some of these watches to sell. Several London AD's have watches on display that were discontinued two years ago or more.

I doubt the confusion is an accident...for example, watches of switzerland (AD) and Bucherer (AD)... not Rolex:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex-Boutique-Opening-Old-Bond-St-4340.jpg (204.0 KB, 602 views)
File Type: jpg rolexhydepark.jpg (118.8 KB, 594 views)
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 11:36 PM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22 View Post
I stopped in that AD earlier this week while on a business trip. The assistant manager said they had been selling Rolex since WWII and the owners decided to sever the relationship because they were tired of turning customers away and couldn’t get watches to meet demand. I don’t know if that was the real story, but the place seemed legit. Their Rolex display was small and tired, so the potential remodel may have been a factor. The references remaining in the cases were the usual suspects....the place itself was a beautiful, old school place that sells a few other mid-tier lines and has a nice selection of watches cases and winders...too bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thats probably the most plausible. Renovations are being demanded to almost all AD's
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 02:18 AM   #28
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
I think it must be a little love-hate relationship. As of now with crazy prices on SS models, the fact that say a Daytona with a MSRP of $12k is regularly listed for $18k plus by gray dealers helps drive demand. It probably is the biggest reason non-WISs get into the game and make it harder for WISs to get these models. Anyone with a chance of getting one runs into their AD and gets on the list because it’s like an instant $6k profit, even if it is unrealized. On the other hand, I’m sure Rolex doesn’t like receiving profits on $12k when they could be getting them on $18k.

We all have our own collecting philosophies and are all at different stages. I’ve had watches I thought I’d never sell but did to upgrade and later consolidate. Rolex has had great value retention over time and I’m sure plays a role when anyone buys one. If the market were at a point where a Daytona dropped from $12k to $3k once you left the AD, they wouldn’t be nearly as popular.

Well said. It’s funny when people claim they don’t care cause they will never sell. Never say never.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 02:54 AM   #29
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy007 View Post
Well said. It’s funny when people claim they don’t care cause they will never sell. Never say never.
True. I don't plan to part with my Rolexes but I do seriously care about the value retention.

It's about human nature; people subconsciously don't like to lose. Buying things that lose value is never something that makes people feel good about themselves.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 03:39 AM   #30
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
True. I don't plan to part with my Rolexes but I do seriously care about the value retention.

It's about human nature; people subconsciously don't like to lose. Buying things that lose value is never something that makes people feel good about themselves.
Exactly. Ask any couple on their wedding day if they plan on being with their spouse "till death do us part" and the response will be predictable. But we all know how about half of marriages will end up with a divorce. It doesn't mean that they didn't mean it at the time of the wedding vows, it is just that life happens and things change. So whether people admit it or not, the fact that a Rolex is considered one of the safest luxury purchases absolutely plays a role in the original purchase. Even if you plan on never selling, you know that in the back of your mind if it were to ever hit the fan, you could sell you Rolex for about what you paid, sometimes more. That is big part of Rolex's appeal.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote