The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 March 2019, 04:42 PM   #31
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

TBH it seems like a workaround to OF sizing to me vs a practical usefulness. Easy link should be fine, but since its OF, this is easier than getting the correct length strap pieces right?

I would bet the number of people who can buy and wear the watch as its delivered is much higher now

I wouldn't take this as a shift to offering a dive extension system to non dive watches. This is an OF extension system
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 04:56 PM   #32
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauteHorlogerie View Post
The oysterflex daytonas need this now... yes yes.

Just in time for RG YM on OF because that watch didn’t even have EasyLink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 05:09 PM   #33
glamorama
"TRF" Member

This is exactly what I was hoping for, in fact wrote about it in a thread yesterday. The YM in RG with new glide lock and movement starting to look very attractive.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 06:21 PM   #34
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
It certainly appears shorter to me. It's easier to view if you watch the video on Youtube and go full screen. The clasp is about the same length as an Easylink, and when the slider is nearly fully extended, I count fewer visible ridges than on the Sub's GL.

Zoomed screen grab from ABTW video, along with a down-and-dirty shot of my Sub GL with the slider set to the same position. Note how much adjustment remains on mine, compared to the YM.
That does look shorter. Perhaps 7 increments (maybe 8) compared to 10 on the diver glidelock? So 14mm to 16mm adjustment rather than 20mm?

Probably more useful on Oysterflex given that the range of strap sizes are not ideal for everyone’s wrist size or shape.

The issue with glidelock is that you lose the micro adjustment of the easy link clasp. But the 2mm increments are far better than 3 or 5mm

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 06:25 PM   #35
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
TBH it seems like a workaround to OF sizing to me vs a practical usefulness. Easy link should be fine, but since its OF, this is easier than getting the correct length strap pieces right?

I would bet the number of people who can buy and wear the watch as its delivered is much higher now

I wouldn't take this as a shift to offering a dive extension system to non dive watches. This is an OF extension system
Just posted similar Tyler. Agreed. It’s more an OF workaround

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 06:28 PM   #36
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Glidelock is a great innovation and certainly works well on the dive watch range. Hopefully they will roll it out to some of the other sports over time but hard to say if they will. Better still, if they did so using the Deepsea version!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 06:39 PM   #37
Roleplay
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Wouldn’t it be great to see this new shortened PM clasp on the Oysterflex Daytona models?

Roleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 06:43 PM   #38
Roleplay
"TRF" Member

Not sure if anyone posted this information yet, but the shortened Glidelock on WG OF YM has an adjustment range of 15mm in 2.5mm increments.
Old 26 March 2019, 06:56 PM   #39
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roleplay View Post
Wouldn’t it be great to see this new shortened PM clasp on the Oysterflex Daytona models?

it would
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 06:59 PM   #40
Wrist King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 Sub, 16710 P
Was there any change in the clasp as they went from 116622 to 126622?

Sent from my SM-G9730 using Tapatalk
Wrist King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 07:48 PM   #41
NWNL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228235 ROMAN WHITE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrist King View Post
Was there any change in the clasp as they went from 116622 to 126622?

Sent from my SM-G9730 using Tapatalk

No, same easylink system
NWNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 09:52 PM   #42
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:

Excellent points, Tyler. While I love my OF, it was tricky as hell to get the right fit. It took me two different trips back to the AD and them ordering a couple of different strap combinations to finally get it right. So, what you're saying makes a lot of sense.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 09:55 PM   #43
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
That does look shorter. Perhaps 7 increments (maybe 8) compared to 10 on the diver glidelock? So 14mm to 16mm adjustment rather than 20mm?

Probably more useful on Oysterflex given that the range of strap sizes are not ideal for everyone’s wrist size or shape.

The issue with glidelock is that you lose the micro adjustment of the easy link clasp. But the 2mm increments are far better than 3 or 5mm
I just saw this, Scott. Sorry I didn't include it in my agreement of Tyler's post. I think both of you guys are spot on.

The big win for me, though, is that I can stop beating myself up for flipping the RG version three years ago. The new YM is a perfect 42mm, is in my favorite metal, WG, and now has glide lock. The RG is dead to me now and I can move on.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 09:58 PM   #44
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
That is a GOOD NEWS and the kind of post we enjoy to read in this forum. Thanks for share.
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 10:01 PM   #45
Roleplay
"TRF" Member

It would be nice to see it side by side an EXII since they’re both 42mm.

Old 26 March 2019, 10:16 PM   #46
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Great info,

Thanks.

Personally the easy link works well compared to my 5 digit bracelets.
Glidelock could be useful.

The YM has stepped up its place in the line up.
Old 28 March 2019, 05:05 AM   #47
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Not sure if anyone posted this information yet, but the shortened Glidelock on WG OF YM has an adjustment range of 15mm in 2.5mm increments.
That's good information. May I ask your source? That would mean it has six positions, compared to the divers' ten, but has 75% as much range.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 05:23 AM   #48
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Thanks for the information, very useful

Another reason to like this reference
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 05:30 AM   #49
Ben.McDonald7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116500LN
That is killer for the rubber straps! I hope they eventually introduce a stainless steel option. I'm also dreaming someday rolex will sell the oysterflex straps and adjustable glidelock separate so you could get one for your submariner.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
Philippians 3:13-14
Ω Omega Speedmaster Pro
Ω Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Good Planet LE
Rolex Daytona 116500LN
Rolex Submariner Date 126610LV
Rolex Explorer II 16570
Ben.McDonald7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 05:35 AM   #50
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.McDonald7 View Post
That is killer for the rubber straps! I hope they eventually introduce a stainless steel option. I'm also dreaming someday rolex will sell the oysterflex straps and adjustable glidelock separate so you could get one for your submariner.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

You are dreaming!
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 05:36 AM   #51
Oldfellow
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
That's good information. May I ask your source? That would mean it has six positions, compared to the divers' ten, but has 75% as much range.
I noticed the new dimensions on the Rolex site for the new YM.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 05:47 AM   #52
Brew
"TRF" Member

I'm surprised Rolex didn't take the opportunity to trademark a new product name: FlexGlide or FlexLock or some such.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 05:55 AM   #53
Roleplay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I'm surprised Rolex didn't take the opportunity to trademark a new product name: FlexGlide or FlexLock or some such.
GlidelockLite 🤣
Old 28 March 2019, 05:56 AM   #54
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Rolex introduced a shortened Glidelock clasp this year on both the new WG YM42, as well as the RG YM40, both on the OF strap. Until now, the Glidelock has been used exclusively on diver watches since it was introduced on the Submariner and DSSD in 2008. Along with the clasp's larger size, this has led a number of Rolex wearers to say the Glidelock isn't appropriate for non-diver watches, and expressed preference for the Easylink. Others noted the greater adjustability offered by the Glidelock and said it would be a good option on other, non-diver watches, especially in a shortened form. Did Rolex listen? This latest development indicates Rolex now views the Glidelock as a useful adjustment mechanism for individuals not intending to use their watches for diving. However, the fact it is as yet limited to PM clasps on OF straps (an entirely new generation of GMTs still has the Easylink, as does the remainder of the updated YM range) raises questions about whether this will be offered on non-diver Oyster bracelets in the future.

What do you think? Do you feel the Glidelock is now a better choice for Rolex's bracelets than the Easylink? If you were against the Glidelock being on non-diver watches, does this new clasp change your mind any? Do you think this is a sign of a transition from Rolex, or are they likely to keep it relegated to divers and OF straps only?

Here's ABTW's hands-on look at the YM42 at Baselworld. Demonstration of the new Glidelock begins around 0:30.
Thanks for sharing...I think this is a great feature for the oysterflex, instead of the system of trying to find the right size combination they have for the existing OF. This should accommodate most wrist sizes. Maybe offer a L, M, or S oysterflex with this clasp
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 05:57 AM   #55
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
IMHO revised Glidelock is a perfect solution for any Rolex and is way better than Easy link.
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 06:07 AM   #56
Roleplay
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The info is available on the Rolex website. Click on the clasp detail when in the new YM page.

Old 28 March 2019, 06:18 AM   #57
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfellow View Post
I noticed the new dimensions on the Rolex site for the new YM.
Quote:
The info is available on the Rolex website. Click on the clasp detail when in the new YM page.
Thanks. The information is located specifically on the new YM42 promo page. I'd only checked the standard model pages for the YM42 and RG YM40, which don't provide the information.

"The Oysterflex bracelet on this new model is equipped with a Rolex-designed and -patented Oysterlock folding safety clasp in 18 ct white gold, which prevents accidental opening. It also features the Rolex Glidelock extension system, designed and patented by the brand. This inventive toothed mechanism, integrated beneath the clasp, allows fine adjustment of the bracelet length by some 15 mm in increments of approximately 2.5 mm, without the use of tools."

I'd say that confirms it's a shortened clasp.
Old 28 March 2019, 06:23 AM   #58
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
I have had a couple of Rolex models with the Easylink, and never used it. For me, at 5mm, it made the watch either too large or too small. I just got used to using the micro adjusts built into the clasp.

The modified/shortened Glidelock is an excellent alternative. Within little more space than the Easylink, smaller adjustments could be fitted. And I see they have done that as shown in the video.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 28 March 2019, 06:40 AM   #59
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
I have had a couple of Rolex models with the Easylink, and never used it. For me, at 5mm, it made the watch either too large or too small. I just got used to using the micro adjusts built into the clasp.
Do you find those hidden micro-adjusts in the Easylink a bitch to adjust? I had a newer Breitling Pilot clasp with a similar adjustment system, and it was so much more difficult to adjust than the older pin-and-hole system, which could be done in a few seconds with a toothpick.
Old 28 March 2019, 06:43 AM   #60
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Do you find those hidden micro-adjusts in the Easylink a bitch to adjust? I had a newer Breitling Pilot clasp with a similar adjustment system, and it was so much more difficult to adjust than the older pin-and-hole system, which could be done in a few seconds with a toothpick.
I do; they're a pain. So much so, I'd rather just spend more time at the salad bar, rather than adjust them.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote