The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 14 April 2017, 05:45 AM   #1
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Incoming! Faber Castell E-Motion pure black

Another pen I've been eyeballing for some time now. I've got a decent stealth pen collection going these days so I decided to pick up the E-Motion. Also all this talk about Faber Castell from Richard got me thinking I need one of these pens. Thank you Richard for your help with nib selection. I ended up custom ordering a broad nib from Appelboom. They had a great price and a 10% discount to boot. Very friendly and accommodating place to deal with! They were the only shop who had a broad nib listed as an available option that I could find. Unfortunately it was not in stock but they sourced one from Faber Castell and shipped it in only a few days. I don't believe they move as many broad nib pens as mediums etc. It was difficult to find. This version was shipped in Faber Castell's gift box packaging. Very nicely done! Faber Castell states the body is anodized aluminum and the cap matte chrome plated. I've also read the pen is PVD black. Can't tell for sure what the process is but the cap and barrel are processed differently. The cap is slightly hygroscopic while the barrel is not so much. Both are the same color though. The nib is great! The broad nib throws down ink like crazy without flooding. Shimmering Diamine never looked so good! The nib is amazingly slick but not a false over polished "slick". It's hard to describe. It is the only nib like this in my collection though. Right on the bleeding edge of super slick and the right amount of feedback. It's impressive and worked fantastic right out of the box. The first few lines I put down made me say "wow"! It's a #4 steel nib of which I've been running into a lot lately. Basically a nail but just the right amount of smooth. The appearance of the pen is super flat black save for the shiny black nib. It does take on a sheen though throughout the day from the oil in your skin until you give it a bath. That's pretty cool! It's a converter pen but the Schmidt made signed Faber Castell converter is super smooth to operate! Probably the smoothest I have. My only complaints about the pen is the threaded cap and the clip are not constrained together. There's some cool machined features around the cap and the clip floats a little and is misaligned to these features if you don't tighten the cap just right. Holding your thumb against the bottom of the clip while uncapping resolves this but this is not as much Germanic manufacturing obsession as the rest of the pen. I suspect manufacturing got ahead of design on this feature. That or the bean counters won with the cap. The clip movement also creates a small polish mark where it slides across the cap slightly. The rest of the pen is basically perfect. The last pitch in the cap threads are even truncated instead of just trailing off and ending up with some flopping starting pitch. That's pretty aggressively awesome manufacturing detail right there. Overall it's a great pen. The nib polish is really special. Very unique in my opinion. This is as close to the edge as a manufacturer has gone with a nib in my 50 pen collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg box.jpg (109.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg fc.jpg (123.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg pure black.jpg (117.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg cap.jpg (145.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg pure black2.jpg (117.6 KB, 53 views)
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote