The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 3 September 2016, 04:14 AM   #1
Jakx
"TRF" Member

reasonable expectation of accuracy for ETA Tudor

I have a question. What is the reasonable expectation for a modified ETA Tudor in the Black Bay. After one week of ownership I'm running fast at 6-7 spd. A review by a reputable publication claims Tudor uses the highest grade ETA, which should correspond to a chronometric rate (wrong assumption?).

If it goes beyond that minus4plus6, should I send it back to the AD for regulation?
Jakx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2016, 06:51 AM   #2
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

The ETA Tudor is easily capable of doing better than COSC spec, once properly regulated. Personally I wouldn't send it to the RSC for 6 weeks over this, but try your AD or find an independent locally that can regulate it. A little fast is no big deal. If you really like your watch to be dead bang on it's a simple matter of "pulling the pin" once a week until your reference time catches up to it, then screw 'er down and off you go.
Old 3 September 2016, 09:15 AM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I have three Tudor ETA movements and two of them keep better time* than any of my Rolex movevents (*after being regulated by Rolex). Try laying yours down on its side, winding crown up, overnight, and it should slow down a little. ETAs are, in my experience, more sensitive to overnight positioning than modern Rolex movements, and I can keep mine within a few seconds of dead-on pretty much indefinitely. E.g, I last set my THC last April and it's currently ten seconds fast.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2016, 11:38 AM   #4
Ticknaway
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I have three Tudor ETA movements and two of them keep better time* than any of my Rolex movevents (*after being regulated by Rolex). Try laying yours down on its side, winding crown up, overnight, and it should slow down a little. ETAs are, in my experience, more sensitive to overnight positioning than modern Rolex movements, and I can keep mine within a few seconds of dead-on pretty much indefinitely. E.g, I last set my THC last April and it's currently ten seconds fast.
May I ask what you are using for reference(program or app) I have never checked my watches and it would be fun to do so. Thanks in advance
Ticknaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2016, 01:23 PM   #5
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticknaway View Post
May I ask what you are using for reference(program or app) I have never checked my watches and it would be fun to do so. Thanks in advance
I use time.gov or time.is
Old 3 September 2016, 02:05 PM   #6
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticknaway View Post
I just use time.is which is fine for measuring to the nearest second as a reference.
Old 3 September 2016, 06:21 PM   #7
Jakx
"TRF" Member

thank you for the responses! very helpful. After 9.5 days, I'm almost at 60 seconds fast ( a couple of nights with the crown up at night).
Old 3 September 2016, 07:49 PM   #8
Old Expat Beast

You might find that it settles down a bit in the coming weeks. My Ranger went from +5 to +1 per day after about two months.
Old 4 September 2016, 06:53 AM   #9
Friar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 216570
My Ranger went from +4 to -1s/d during the first couple of months. it's quite consistent now. Yours may settle closer to +2 which would be quite good.

I have read too that Tudor uses Top grade ETA movements. While Top uses the same components as those submitted to COSC for testing, they are not tested, and I don't know what would be an acceptable rate to Tudor.
Friar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2016, 06:50 AM   #10
ttnpb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16803
A top grade ETA is just as capable as a 3135.

A ton of the other big Swiss names use ETA as their base movements. Omega, TAG, Breitling, and many others use ETAs.
ttnpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2016, 12:44 PM   #11
cab56
"TRF" Member

Watch: many!
I have two ETA based watches (a Tudor chrono and a Tag Heuer chrono) and a few Rolexes all running within an accuracy of a few seconds a day. I usually wear a watch for a week at a time and when I change watches a week later, I notice that the watch is 15 to 30 seconds off (2-5 seconds per day).
cab56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2016, 03:19 PM   #12
SearChart
TechXpert

They can be very accurate, I have an ETA watch of mine regulated to where it runs +4 a week now and it's not even the 'best grade'.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2016, 09:15 PM   #13
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have previously owned two ETA Black Bay watches. One was plus 4 seconds a day out of the box. The second was plus 15 seconds a day. I did not keep the second watch long enough to get regulated. I will buy the new in-house Black Bay very soon and will keep it. I really like it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 08:46 PM   #14
Jakx
"TRF" Member

It's settled at +5 now. As long as it stays within chronometric tolerances, I'm happy.
Old 15 September 2016, 12:56 AM   #15
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

First of all, wait for at least 4 weeks before taking any action. In my experience a new watch will slow down a bit and stabilize.

Once it stabilizes take note of the daily rate under your normal wearing habits. With this information in hand you can send it in for regulation.

The ETA 2824 is a very accurate movement and can easily be regulated to better than COSC. My BB is currently running at +2spd.

If you decide to have it regulated it is important that you give your assessment of accuracy to the watchmaker. One thing is the Timegrapher and another the performance in a real life scenario.
Blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote