The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 11 February 2014, 08:51 PM   #61
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasseur View Post
No problem
Your point of you is part of the discussion
Thanks, sorry I didn't join to become one of the backslappers who all just agrees with each other.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2014, 10:57 PM   #62
RUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,Daytona,P
Some really eye opening comments here. As I said in my earlier posts- I want a watch that I can wear everyday if I want to. I also don't want to have a watch that I need to mollycoddle.

When it comes to price and value - I thinks that is very subjective.Each person is entitle to his or her own opinion based on that persons criteria.
My criteria is - daily wearability, minimal maintenance, and a used price of less than 20k€ (28k$)

I understand that complication are a key feature of a patek but on the flip side- a complication may make the watch need more care and maintenance( correct me if I am wrong) I'm not going to be moving in groups that know much about watches or compare complications, this is going to be a personal achievement for me someday and it's something I'd like to pass down the generations.
RUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2014, 01:09 AM   #63
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukshan View Post
Some really eye opening comments here. As I said in my earlier posts- I want a watch that I can wear everyday if I want to. I also don't want to have a watch that I need to mollycoddle.

When it comes to price and value - I thinks that is very subjective.Each person is entitle to his or her own opinion based on that persons criteria.
My criteria is - daily wearability, minimal maintenance, and a used price of less than 20k€ (28k$)

I understand that complication are a key feature of a patek but on the flip side- a complication may make the watch need more care and maintenance( correct me if I am wrong) I'm not going to be moving in groups that know much about watches or compare complications, this is going to be a personal achievement for me someday and it's something I'd like to pass down the generations.
You can see there is no supported rational offered behind the dismissal of the 5167/5711 models, the childish counterpoint has done nothing but insult , name call and evade (throughout) with regards to a simple question. I also suspect he is far more guilty of being a blind Patek loyalists than he realizes or perhaps he just doesnt like to share?

Fact is, it is ridiculous to compare a 5167/5711 to grande complication Pateks or Patek minute repeaters, which is often where Patek sees collectibility & value, if you can play in that arena, you can often be looking at 6 figures & upwards of 500k entry....as you go up the ladder to these pieces, you encounter the middle of the Patek range, in the middle range, you will find many beautiful pieces, but if you are ultimately searching for something special and unique, to a significantly higher degree than the 5167/5711...you will rarely see that along the way...& may even find those pieces dismissed as well

Finally i would say, check out the AP15202 before you make your final decision, i find it to be a special piece in its class.

I hope this thread has shed some light on your questions
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2014, 01:39 AM   #64
RUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,Daytona,P
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
You can see there is no supported rational behind the dismissal of the 5167/5711 models, the childish counterpoint has done nothing but insult , name call and evade (throughout) with regards to a simple question. I also suspect he is far more guilty of being a blind Patek loyalists than he realizes or perhaps he just doesnt like to share?

Fact is, it is ridiculous to compare a 5167/5711 to grande complication Pateks or Patek minute repeaters, which is often where Patek sees collectibility & value, if you can play in that arena, you can often be looking at 6 figures & upwards of 500k entry....as you go up the ladder to these pieces, you encounter the middle of the Patek range, in the middle range, i think you will find many ways to spend more money, but if you are ultimately searching for something special and unique...you will rarely see that along the way

Finally i would say, check out the AP15202 before you make your final decision, i find it to be a special piece in its class.

I hope this thread has shed some light on your questions
Thanks. I guess ones opinion of "value" really depends in his or her bank balance. When I was a student a Tissot watch and a used Audi represented good value to me and now I'm thinking a used Patek or AP and a used Bently represent good value. I'm sure a grand complication may be good if I had a few million to spare.

I have a lot of interests and a wife that loves holidays and "nice things" so a wrist watch is one of many treats that I'll like to have for working hard. I will try on that AP when I find one and try on a few Nautili (is that even a word) and calatravas

Has anyone given much thought to the vacheron royal eagle? It really stands out.
RUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2014, 01:52 AM   #65
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukshan View Post
Thanks. I guess ones opinion of "value" really depends in his or her bank balance. When I was a student a Tissot watch and a used Audi represented good value to me and now I'm thinking a used Patek or AP and a used Bently represent good value. I'm sure a grand complication may be good if I had a few million to spare.

I have a lot of interests and a wife that loves holidays and "nice things" so a wrist watch is one of many treats that I'll like to have for working hard. I will try on that AP when I find one and try on a few Nautili (is that even a word) and calatravas

Has anyone given much thought to the vacheron royal eagle? It really stands out.

Haven't seen that VC before, it is good looking watch and ticks a lot of boxes

for me its a bit outside of my simpler aesthetic
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2014, 05:33 AM   #66
Jabberjaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
the 5167 has become too common, i see them more than i really want to. worn by youngsters whose cash bonus was too generous but didn't quite stretch to an AC or PC. bit like what the sub is for rolex

i love the 5164 and it has a really useful complication. bit beefier and more sporty than the 5167. also less common

whatever you choose you can't go wrong!
I thought you said in another post that the 5164 was off your list due to the ears on the left side and the cleaner lines of the 5167 .... ?
Jabberjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2014, 07:52 AM   #67
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Your first PP probably won't be your last. I just picked up a 5712/1a (BNIB from an AD) and could not be any happier. It's a beautiful watch, able to be worn with a suit or with jeans and a tee shirt. It sounds like you're still building your collection; just when you think you're done building, you'll want another. Enjoy the process, enjoy the purchase.
nyc2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2014, 08:19 AM   #68
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Wow...Just read thru a lot of these posts and not sure what to say. What I can say without question is while I can buy a grand complication Patek and have I chose the 5711 because it is classic Patek. It is simple elegance at it's greatest and I love the way it looks and feels. The same reason I love the AP 15202...Simple, elegant Genta at it's greatest. At the end of day you buy a watch because you are attracted to it and want to own it and enjoy it regardless of the brand or name. Most people in the world can't buy a Patek or any luxury watch so the fact that you can is truly a blessing. I certainly don't and won't ever take that for granted. So....Happy hunting and I hope you end up getting what you want not need! Cheers all,

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2014, 08:44 AM   #69
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I think there's a big difference between the most expensive watch one can buy and the watch one likes the most. Even with Patek.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2014, 09:00 AM   #70
Jabberjaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I think there's a big difference between the most expensive watch one can buy and the watch one likes the most. Even with Patek.
Agreed. It's not a competition for who can acquire the most expensive piece or pieces for that matter.
Jabberjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2014, 04:20 AM   #71
davidgesualdi
"TRF" Member

Which Patek

I purchased the 5980 - 1A last August. It is by far the best choice I could have made. Both dress and sport it always feels just right.

My next one will be a Perpetual in gold. By having both of these just about all your needs will be fulfilled.

That doesn't mean I will dispose of the other 50 plus watches I have at home!

Dave
davidgesualdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2014, 04:28 AM   #72
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
Forget Aquanaut and other entry level Pateks, I say save some money and buy higher end model down the line.
Why do you say this? I think the train of thought from some collectors and supposed watch lovers are absurd.

My collection is very large, ranging from low end to higher end precious metal/complication

I LOVE my 5167 as much as my 5960p...

Care to elaborate?
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2014, 04:31 AM   #73
4jchun
"TRF" Member

No elaboration needed, you are spot on!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
Why do you say this? I think the train of thought from some collectors and supposed watch lovers are absurd.

My collection is very large, ranging from low end to higher end precious metal/complication

I LOVE my 5167 as much as my 5960p...

Care to elaborate?
4jchun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2014, 06:39 AM   #74
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2014, 01:34 PM   #75
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Is vintage out of the question. What about a 1450 "top hat"? I don't have one, but they look great. Are they just too delicate/high maintenance to wear every day?
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2014, 03:16 PM   #76
thlax
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Hi my name is Gus, i am a watch addict who likes to wear his watches and sometimes beat on them

Hi my name is David, and I am a watch addict who likes to wear his watches daily, for their purpose, tell time with passion. My new 5167 will be my daily piece, with rotations between the DSSD depending on the day/event. To each their own on how much/little they wear it, but please, do enjoy it.

2020 Green OP41 124300 (Sold), 2020 114060 ND Sub (Sold) Tudor BB58 Blue (Sold), CHNR (Sold), 126603 TT SD43 (Sold) 116500 Black Daytona (Sold), 5512 vintage ‘69 (Sold) 114060 (Sold), AP15202ST (Sold) AP15500 Grey (Sold), 126710 BLRO Pepsi (Sold), 2018 39MM White OP (Sold), SD43 (Sold), ALS 1815 WG (Sold), 116520 White Daytona (sold), DSSD (Sold), 116655 RG YM (Returned), 116619LB Smurf (Sold), PP 5167A (Sold), AP Diver (Sold), PAM112 (Sold)
thlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2014, 03:20 PM   #77
thlax
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
Wow...Just read thru a lot of these posts and not sure what to say. What I can say without question is while I can buy a grand complication Patek and have I chose the 5711 because it is classic Patek. It is simple elegance at it's greatest and I love the way it looks and feels. The same reason I love the AP 15202...Simple, elegant Genta at it's greatest. At the end of day you buy a watch because you are attracted to it and want to own it and enjoy it regardless of the brand or name. Most people in the world can't buy a Patek or any luxury watch so the fact that you can is truly a blessing. I certainly don't and won't ever take that for granted. So....Happy hunting and I hope you end up getting what you want not need! Cheers all,
When I was deciding between a 5167/5711 or another AP.... a man with similar interestes started to try on watches next to me at an AD. His wife asked; " Why do you need another?". He responded, "Because of the love and passion I have for watches." (as he nudged at me).

His wife gave a silent nod and a smile and said 'Let me know which one you want my opinion on, but i know you'll choose the one you have your heart set on."

El fin.

2020 Green OP41 124300 (Sold), 2020 114060 ND Sub (Sold) Tudor BB58 Blue (Sold), CHNR (Sold), 126603 TT SD43 (Sold) 116500 Black Daytona (Sold), 5512 vintage ‘69 (Sold) 114060 (Sold), AP15202ST (Sold) AP15500 Grey (Sold), 126710 BLRO Pepsi (Sold), 2018 39MM White OP (Sold), SD43 (Sold), ALS 1815 WG (Sold), 116520 White Daytona (sold), DSSD (Sold), 116655 RG YM (Returned), 116619LB Smurf (Sold), PP 5167A (Sold), AP Diver (Sold), PAM112 (Sold)
thlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2014, 04:49 PM   #78
lipjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, Nautilus
Just putting it out there - would a 5726 be less desirable than a straight 5711? I like the Genta design but like my watches to do more than just tell time and moonphase and Ac seem to be useful complications

I get the whole buy what you can afford and whatever sings to you - also looking to get a nautilus in the near future so want to get general thoughts on 5711, 5712 and 5726 models

"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices" -Dumbledore

Instagram: horolj_
lipjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2014, 09:51 PM   #79
el1125
Banned

5726!
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote