The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 October 2022, 10:13 PM   #1
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Switzerland Is The World's Most Innovative Country

According to Statista: The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) has released its 2022 Global Innovation Index. It evaluated innovation levels across 132 economies focusing on a long list of criteria such as human capital, institutions, technology and creative output as well as market and business sophistication, among others. The 2022 index has found that innovation is still blossoming in some sectors despite the global economic slowdown and coronavirus pandemic, especially in industries to do with public health and the environment.

Switzerland topped the rankings with a score of 64.6 out of 100, the 12th time it has been named the world leader in innovation. The United States come second while the Sweden rounds off the top three.

https://www.statista.com/chart/18804...ovation-index/

Untitled-1.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2022, 10:16 PM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Go figured, they’re headquartered in Switzerland
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2022, 10:34 PM   #3
Star Ferry
Banned

Anyone who’s been to Switzerland can tell it’s not a hotbed of creativity. You go there for skiing, bucolic landscapes, efficient trains, discreet financial services, commodities trading, accurate clocks, and low taxes. Your average Swiss is as creative as a houseplant. Even trying to quantify this issue is itself indicative of a non-creative way of thinking.

The most creative country, by a country mile, is the United States. And that’s not just because I live here. It’s electric in all our big cities, and you can almost feel it in your bones.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 12:58 AM   #4
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
LOL...

"Switzerland topped the rankings with a score of 64.6 out of 100, the 12th time it has been named the world leader in innovation."

Mirror, mirror, on the wall......
Old 8 October 2022, 12:59 AM   #5
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Anyone who’s been to Switzerland can tell it’s not a hotbed of creativity. You go there for skiing, bucolic landscapes, efficient trains, discreet financial services, commodities trading, accurate clocks, and low taxes. Your average Swiss is as creative as a houseplant. Even trying to quantify this issue is itself indicative of a non-creative way of thinking.

The most creative country, by a country mile, is the United States. And that’s not just because I live here. It’s electric in all our big cities, and you can almost feel it in your bones.
Totally agree
Old 8 October 2022, 01:26 AM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Agree with star ferry can’t believe this is even a question.
Old 8 October 2022, 02:10 AM   #7
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:

They are likely measuring innovation on some type of a per capita measure. If you look at both overall innovation and the total impact of that innovation, it is very hard to argue that the US is not the global leader.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 02:31 AM   #8
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I'm sure any first world country could design a award where they're number one for 12 years in a row for something.

Switzerland has a population of around 9 million.

China is pretty innovative with a population of 1.4 billion and the US has had one or two innovations over the years with a population of 330 million.

Incidentally I've just named myself the worlds most handsome man for the 15th year in a row. Of course I had to barely narrow out Dan Pierce so I designed the test to exclude guitar players.

I mean, seriously????, guitar players........pfffffft.
Old 8 October 2022, 12:46 PM   #9
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:

Right on!

BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 04:39 PM   #10
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:

So you think they may have left out some criteria?

However base on population Australia, Scotland, New Zealand etc.etc. beat you by miles.

And being from the Scotland didn’t we give you the USA Steven?

Where are you from originally?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 09:04 PM   #11
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
So you think they may have left out some criteria?

However base on population Australia, Scotland, New Zealand etc.etc. beat you by miles.

And being from the Scotland didn’t we give you the USA Steven?

Where are you from originally?
I think their whole endeavor — trying to rank a qualitative concept like “innovation” with an algorithm — was a bad idea.

Now that’s not to say there aren’t creative people in Australia or any other country. There might be a generational genius living in Sierra Leone looking for clean water right now. The UK/Europe has a great legacy of innovation as well, although they’ve become less creative post WWII.

If we consider where the most inventions and new ideas that shape human society in 2022 emanate from, the answer is the US by far. Which isn’t a knock on any country.

Just because it’s de rigeur to bash the US at the pub or dinner table in all the countries you mentioned, doesn’t negate the influence US innovations have and continue to have. Most are too dumb to realize that’s a cheap global political tool — wherein politicians try to focus their citizens on problems in the big bad USA to distract from issues at home. Almost every country does this now (reminds their subjects how bad America is) but especially more authoritarian regimes.
Old 8 October 2022, 10:24 PM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I think their whole endeavor — trying to rank a qualitative concept like “innovation” with an algorithm — was a bad idea.
True that.

Heard a while back that there are more 'honor roll' students in China than the USA has students(!). In some countries (like Singapore, etc), schooling and your high placement due to excellent grades are very important.

India is also quite strong in numbers.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 10:56 PM   #13
PT_91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
They're actually headquartered in Hamburg, Germany.
PT_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 11:02 PM   #14
PT_91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Your average Swiss is as creative as a houseplant.
Eventhough probably true, what a stupid, immature statement to make. I think it might probably be true for average people from whatever country.

I don't think that they want to say that Swiss people are innovative. It's the ecosystem here that attracts alot of talent with massive innovation power from all over the world.

Is Switzerland more innovative than the US? I have no clue, might very well be that it's not. Your post however just shows that you were offended that US isn't #1.
PT_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 11:19 PM   #15
Razorsedge1
"TRF" Member

LSD, DNA, turbochargers, milk chocolate and Swiss Army watch top the list of Swiss innovations and inventions. Switzerland is a fine country, but unless you are a hippie from 1960s hardly most innovative.
Razorsedge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 11:34 PM   #16
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_91 View Post
Eventhough probably true, what a stupid, immature statement to make. I think it might probably be true for average people from whatever country.

I don't think that they want to say that Swiss people are innovative. It's the ecosystem here that attracts alot of talent with massive innovation power from all over the world.

Is Switzerland more innovative than the US? I have no clue, might very well be that it's not. Your post however just shows that you were offended that US isn't #1.
I do apologize for comparing the average Swiss to a houseplant, especially since the average American is borderline-illiterate, and as you noted — average folks anywhere are not the engines of innovation.

As for the ranking, those folks can say whatever they’d like and it wouldn’t offend me. I’m just making conversation and having a discussion.
Old 8 October 2022, 11:44 PM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_91 View Post
They're actually headquartered in Hamburg, Germany.
Ahhh, good ole Wiki said Geneva

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 11:52 PM   #18
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I do apologize for comparing the average Swiss to a houseplant, especially since the average American is borderline-illiterate, and as you noted — average folks anywhere are not the engines of innovation.

As for the ranking, those folks can say whatever they’d like and it wouldn’t offend me. I’m just making conversation and having a discussion.

If there was a study that examined the amount of morons on a per capita basis, I’m fairly sure the US would be a leader in that as well.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2022, 12:29 AM   #19
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post

If there was a study that examined the amount of morons on a per capita basis, I’m fairly sure the US would be a leader in that as well.
Right, we don’t have much of a floor in terms of quality of healthcare, education, and living standards. We’re also significantly more diverse than the other countries mentioned in this thread.
Old 9 October 2022, 01:11 AM   #20
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
I'd have guessed that Israel would have been near the top of such a list.
Old 9 October 2022, 01:27 AM   #21
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Aren't a lot of companies incorporated in or partially operated out of Switzerland due to their privacy laws?

I assume in 2022 that ranking global innovation is probably pretty hard given the tendency of so many companies to be multinational, and how the development of even individual products can occur in different stages at different places across the globe.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2022, 12:05 PM   #22
austinp
"TRF" Member

The cheese with the holes in it is pretty good. Better than American cheese I would say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2022, 08:33 AM   #23
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
The cheese with the holes in it is pretty good. Better than American cheese I would say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As far as cheese goes I like Swiss. But my favourite is white American. I can’t get it in Canada. Many there have never heard of it.

Americans think big. No doubt.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2022, 08:57 AM   #24
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post

Incidentally I've just named myself the worlds most handsome man for the 15th year in a row. Of course I had to barely narrow out Dan Pierce so I designed the test to exclude guitar players.
Ahem, Hello........

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2022, 10:14 AM   #25
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Ahem, Hello........
Sorry, I meant US most handsome………whew.

Stay in my lane.