The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 1 January 2020, 02:27 AM   #1
82cowboys
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blancpain FF
I GOT SCAMMED somebody phished Leemozoid’s password

Hello TRF,
I have been scammed by someone who hacked into Leemozoid’s account. I did some detective work and confirmed that I was scammed. I actually found Leemozoid and have spoken with him.

I originally saw the post below and went through the motions of purchasing the watch like I have done many times before. The real Leemozoid has been on this forum for over a decade and has been recommended by DavidSW etc. After lots of discussion through text, I wired him the money and now nothing. He has delayed on sending tracking and I felt it was fishy. Now what do I do? I sold a Deep sea to a great guy to find this watch and now I’m completely out of luck and now no money for the Sub I wanted. I have contacted the bank but I don’t know how much help they will be. (Fraud Department). What should I do? Any help would be appreciated-
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CBA19095-CEC9-4520-9133-324B19445574.jpeg (61.5 KB, 663 views)
File Type: jpeg B74CC3DF-4E55-4F38-8D87-D91B20063348.jpeg (49.4 KB, 659 views)
82cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 03:48 AM   #2
saint777
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Sorry to hear you got scammed. Same thing happened to me months ago, lost 9k.

I contacted my bank and filed a report, I called the bank where it was transferred and filed a report. I called the local PD and filed a report. Contacted FBI online and filed a report. And sorry to say they are not going to do anything.

Never wire transfer again, doesn’t matter who it is. Pay the extra money and go through PayPal or escrow service.

These SOBes are getting good on hacking user accounts.

V

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
saint777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 03:58 AM   #3
RidingDonkeys
"TRF" Member

Yep. As someone who works in the security field you have to know that there is a difference between hacking and phishing. Hacked implies the user had no part in the entry of their account. That isn't the case on this forum. Users are actually giving their passwords to the scammers by not paying attention to the phishing emails.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 02:50 PM   #4
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Yep. As someone who works in the security field you have to know that there is a difference between hacking and phishing. Hacked implies the user had no part in the entry of their account. That isn't the case on this forum. Users are actually giving their passwords to the scammers by not paying attention to the phishing emails.

I love the, "Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy." Do I need to ask for permission before I use that phrase? LOL! Hysterical.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 12:19 AM   #5
RidingDonkeys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aczaja10 View Post
I love the, "Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy." Do I need to ask for permission before I use that phrase? LOL! Hysterical.
It's been my signature line for years on many forums. Many have asked, and I'm sure many more others have used it already, so have at.

RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 04:04 AM   #6
saint777
"TRF" Member

Yes, that’s what I meant.

Old 1 January 2020, 04:32 AM   #7
82cowboys
"TRF" Member

I’m going through the process now. Filed a report, working with the banks etc. been a wonderful New Year’s Eve
Old 1 January 2020, 06:21 AM   #8
BelovedWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3919J
If you're going to pre-pay with a wire don't base that trust off of one account. Get them on the phone, have them give you references, if they do it full-time get their google business information. Contact them from the number on the google business. Reputable sellers don't have to take a risk because a buyer doesn't vet who they are wiring.

Not trying to sound harsh, but there's lots of tools for you and the seller to stay safe.

Best of luck recovering any lost funds, that is horrible.

Happy New Year,

Thomas
BelovedWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 06:29 AM   #9
82cowboys
"TRF" Member

Thanks Thomas- So everyone knows, the real Leemozoid’s email is: leemozoid@hotmail.com NOT leemozoid@outlook.com. The real guy wanted me to post this so everyone was aware
Old 1 January 2020, 11:40 AM   #10
tuffness9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710blro
Can you please clarify? Someone was able to log into a legit sellers account and used his email address to communicate with you?

Or, did a scammer use an an email address that was similar to a legit sellers and you fell for the scammers tricks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82cowboys View Post
Thanks Thomas- So everyone knows, the real Leemozoid’s email is: leemozoid@hotmail.com NOT leemozoid@outlook.com. The real guy wanted me to post this so everyone was aware
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
tuffness9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 11:54 AM   #11
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting...for years I have assumed anyone using hotmail was not legit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 09:48 AM   #12
82cowboys
"TRF" Member

Guess all I can do is have the bank try to reverse the charges. Not much I can do with a wire. Sucks, looks like I’m out $8200.00. Learned my lesson for sure.
Old 1 January 2020, 11:45 AM   #13
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Man what a shame. It’s critical to do your due diligence when sending funds to a stranger. Lots of trusted people out there. More than just “trusted sellers” but it’s critical to ensure you’re dealing with the actual person.
Old 1 January 2020, 12:35 PM   #14
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
I GOT SCAMMED somebody hacked Leemozoid’s account

Remember that another technique attackers use is to try username and password combinations from data breaches.

For example, if Best Buy is hacked and your username and password is there - they will try it (and the millions of others in the dump) wherever they can to see if you have reused the password someplace else.

Don’t reuse passwords.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 05:10 PM   #15
82cowboys
"TRF" Member

The member Leemozoid, has his account compromised by someone.. That someone pretended to be him, we had a great chat and he sold me on the fact that he was a trusted and longtime member of the forum with references from DavidSW. I got scammed. Nothing o can do. Money is gone. Watch is gone. Now I’ll have to ware a timex lol. Is what it is. My own fault. I’ve learned a lot from this experience...
Old 2 January 2020, 12:38 PM   #16
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
The member Leemozoid, has his account compromised by someone.. That someone pretended to be him, we had a great chat and he sold me on the fact that he was a trusted and longtime member of the forum with references from DavidSW. I got scammed. Nothing o can do. Money is gone. Watch is gone. Now I’ll have to ware a timex lol. Is what it is. My own fault. I’ve learned a lot from this experience...

Sorry you have been scammed - but it is not 100% on you. The real Leemozoid has some comparative negligence as his account credentials were phished due to his own action.

Sure, there are many safeguards you have now learned as a result, but many of those were learned the hard way, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 09:01 PM   #17
Peemaster
Banned

What do you mean by money is gone. When was the transaction. Where exactly did you wire the money to?
Why do you think it is gone for good?
Peemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 02:42 PM   #18
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peemaster View Post
What do you mean by money is gone. When was the transaction. Where exactly did you wire the money to?
Why do you think it is gone for good?
Really? Your first post?

Stick around, you can learn a lot around here.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 04:16 AM   #19
Dan417
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR Oyster
What bank did you wire money to ? If it’s in the US and you’re in the US you need to call local PD immediately and the bank and explain it because they can and will freeze the recipients account but you need to do so expeditiously

2FA secured

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Dan417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 05:48 AM   #20
saint777
"TRF" Member

Local PD or the banks are not going to do anything. Speaking from experience. The money is gone.

Detectives are not going to do anything because the name and address provided by the seller is a fake address at a different state. Usually the house address they use is vacant and up for sale.

Local PD told me wiring money is the stupidest thing you can do, especially to a stranger.

its like sending someone cash in an envelope and hoping they will send the watch.

I spent months try to investigate, spoke with different detectives and banks. They all said the same thing, I’m shit out of luck.

Old 2 January 2020, 10:36 AM   #21
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint777 View Post
Local PD or the banks are not going to do anything. Speaking from experience. The money is gone.

Detectives are not going to do anything because the name and address provided by the seller is a fake address at a different state. Usually the house address they use is vacant and up for sale.

Local PD told me wiring money is the stupidest thing you can do, especially to a stranger.

its like sending someone cash in an envelope and hoping they will send the watch.

I spent months try to investigate, spoke with different detectives and banks. They all said the same thing, I’m shit out of luck.

Sadly , you are exactly right!!I don’t care how good the “deal” I or how wonderful the seller is or claims to be . I can’t just send him a box full of 100 dollar bills and then hope he will send the piece and it will be complete and exactly as described. This is exactly what one does when you use a wire transfer.

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mu...mary/783554413
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 10:38 AM   #22
Dan417
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR Oyster
Quote:

Actually completely false and untrue. Trust me when I say I know what I’m talking about.

2FA secured

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Dan417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 10:44 AM   #23
saint777
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan417 View Post
Actually completely false and untrue. Trust me when I say I know what I’m talking about.

Which part is it false and untrue???

Old 2 January 2020, 10:43 AM   #24
saint777
"TRF" Member

False and untrue??? How do you know?

Didn’t know you were on the line dealing with the banks and the PD with me.

Or the three other people that I spoke to that got scammed about the same time as me.

Unless you were scammed and some how received your wire back. I still won’t believe it.

Old 2 January 2020, 10:53 AM   #25
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Icon5

Wow! Really Mr Dan ?
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 11:08 AM   #26
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

People have recovered their wired funds. Many examples if you care to search the forum. Key is quick action, get both banks involved and their fraud depts. Its why the scammers keep dragging things out, hoping to exceed that critical time and allow them to transfer funds out of the account and do a runner.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 11:27 AM   #27
saint777
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
People have recovered their wired funds. Many examples if you care to search the forum. Key is quick action, get both banks involved and their fraud depts. Its why the scammers keep dragging things out, hoping to exceed that critical time and allow them to transfer funds out of the account and do a runner.

Wired money gets in the bank within a day. And Once the wired money is removed from the account the next day when available, there is nothing the banks can do.

I don’t know how you would get your money back once the scammer has pulled it out from the bank.

Trust me, I spent months researching, speaking to bank managers, fraud departments, detectives, etc... my friend is a manager in the bank where the money was transferred, and he couldn’t do anything.

The only way you can stop the wire or get it back is before the scammer withdraws it or transfers it to another offshore account. You only have about 24 hrs to figure out you were scammed....

Old 4 January 2020, 06:59 AM   #28
indi
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear your story.
I experienced the same, some times ago here in TRF.
The WTB threads are the door for scammers to reach you.

Yes you are right, the key to reverse the money is speed.
You might have chance if the money still travelling in the network.
Once it arrived at recipient then it will gone.
Seems escrow account is the best option unless you really know who you dealt with.

Quote:
Wired money gets in the bank within a day. And Once the wired money is removed from the account the next day when available, there is nothing the banks can do.

I don’t know how you would get your money back once the scammer has pulled it out from the bank.

Trust me, I spent months researching, speaking to bank managers, fraud departments, detectives, etc... my friend is a manager in the bank where the money was transferred, and he couldn’t do anything.

The only way you can stop the wire or get it back is before the scammer withdraws it or transfers it to another offshore account. You only have about 24 hrs to figure out you were scammed....

indi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 12:30 PM   #29
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Never said it was common, but its not impossible. Speed is key
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 12:48 PM   #30
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
That SUCKS! Sorry to hear you got scammed!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote