The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 16 July 2008, 06:57 AM   #1
pwrslider
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
GMT link

what do ya'll think??

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTHENTIC-ROLEX-...QQcmdZViewItem
Rolex Explorer II Blk (91)
Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish (07)
Panerai 104 & 177ti ( 04/03)
pwrslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2008, 08:07 AM   #2
tudorman8276
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Prez
Steve....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrslider View Post
....you NEED to ask the seller if the screw has the "DISTINCT TAPERED SHOULDER" where the thread meets the body of the screw. If so....GENUINE.

....if the shoulder is flat, it is aftermarket.

I am currently at work, or I would post a pic of genuine vs fake.

Stan.
tudorman8276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2008, 09:57 AM   #3
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
it is very hard to tell with many links-I can usually tell by looking from the side-the fakes are almost always too fat.
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2008, 10:03 AM   #4
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue YM today!
Hard to tell if it was a crack pipe or a donut.
redshirt1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2008, 10:07 AM   #5
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshirt1957 View Post
your on a roll tonight huh bubba..
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2008, 10:17 AM   #6
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue YM today!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemulholland3 View Post
your on a roll tonight huh bubba..
My life is like most. Ups, downs, and somewheres in between. Right now I am between crisis. While I always enjoy life, today is a time to smile and embrace it.

Forgot to send you a PM so here goes; got the package and all is well my friend. Thanks for taking care of me. Very nice.
redshirt1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2008, 11:11 AM   #7
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Joe's always on a roll. One of the funniest guys on the forum. He really does have me rolling on the floor laughing a great deal of the time. He has such a quick wit that it's always a blast to see what he's going to write next.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2008, 11:58 AM   #8
tudorman8276
"TRF" Member

....that BAD taste....

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshirt1957 View Post
...in your mouth is most likely from that pipe u ben usin

....are you ever serious???

Stan.
Old 16 July 2008, 12:22 PM   #9
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Counterfeit Oyster Links:

Here is a quick test to check for counterfeit oyster links on most of the fakes. Most or several of the counterfeit links can be detected this way, but not all will past this test. One should also check the attaching link screw to determine if it is fake - based on posts by Tudorman in this thread;

In looking at a genuine Rolex oyster link, it is basically three pieces - the outer two pieces of the link are held together by a piece that goes thru the center link. The center link is hollow, and if you hold the outer links tight, the center link should move back and forth. If you pull the center link out as far as it will go, you can see the area the pin goes thru when it is attached to another link. When you look at the the center link this way, it appears to be hollow and the open area when the pin fits thru appears oval-shaped.

When you do this same test with a counterfeit oyster link - when you pull the center link all the way out - the end has a very neat round hole in each side of the link where the attaching pin fits thru the link. If you look closely at the center link where the round holes are located, the center link appears solid.

Also, the attaching pins are slightly different on the fake pins when compared to genuine pins, which Stan alluded to in an earlier post.

Hope this helps.

John (Springer)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2008, 01:08 PM   #10
tudorman8276
"TRF" Member

JOhn....you CANNOT....

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Counterfeit Oyster Links:

Here is a quick test to check for counterfeit oyster links;

In looking at a genuine Rolex oyster link, it is basically three pieces - the outer two pieces of the link are held together by a piece that goes thru the center link. The center link is hollow, and if you hold the outer links tight, the center link should move back and forth. If you pull the center link out as far as it will go, you can see the area the pin goes thru when it is attached to another link. When you look at the the center link this way, it appears to be hollow and the open area when the pin fits thru appears oval-shaped.

When you do this same test with a counterfeit oyster link - when you pull the center link all the way out - the end has a very neat round hole in each side of the link where the attaching pin fits thru the link. If you look closely at the center link where the round holes are located, the center link appears solid.

Also, the attaching pins are slightly different on the fake pins when compared to genuine pins, which Stan alluded to in an earlier post.

Hope this helps.

John (Springer)
....go by that alone. I personally have a couple of fakes that are so well copied, I am not sure even you could tell. They have the hollow center links and gradual taper of descending thickness and all. I have a fake 78360 that is so nearly PERFECT, it is scary. If I get a chance, I will email pic's of it....it is somewhere in my garage among the "junk".

....the ACID test is the tapered part of the screw where the threads meet the body of the screw.

....here are some pic's for review for the "ACID" test:

Fake-1.jpg

Real-1.jpg

Fake-Real.jpg
Old 16 July 2008, 01:25 PM   #11
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Stan, you're correct on your statement regarding the links. My post details most counterfeit links. I probably should have qualified it more. To try and detail them all would be a book in the making. I have seen the tapered links you speak of, that was the first thing I used to look for in the band, as most of the fakes had links that were all the same thickness instead of being tapered as they went down the band closer to the clasp . That theory went out-the-door a while ago.

I know what you mean about the deceptive counterfeits, all bets are off on them. They're another animal, but most of the fakes can easily be detected if you know what to look for. Kind of like "counterfeit money."

Maybe we should write a book on Rolex bands with the deux or whatever his name is! LOL

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 16 July 2008, 01:29 PM   #12
tudorman8276
"TRF" Member

YES SIR....it is truly

Quote:
Stan, you're correct on statement regarding the links. My post details most counterfeit links. To try and detail them all would be a book in the making. Maybe we should write one!

I know what you mean about the deceptive counterfeits, all bets are off on them. They're another animal, but most of the fakes can easily be detected if you know what to look for. Kind of like "counterfeit money."
unbeleivable the amount of fakes out there and agree with you about the generality of the EASY to spot fakes.

....gotta get somethin done in the garage. See u all tomorrow.

Stan.
Old 16 July 2008, 01:37 PM   #13
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Stan. I editied my original post to clear-up any confusion.

Old 16 July 2008, 02:05 PM   #14
tudorman8276
"TRF" Member

....oh yah.....

Quote:
Stan, you're correct on your statement regarding the links. My post details most counterfeit links. I probably should have qualified it more. To try and detail them all would be a book in the making. I have seen the tapered links you speak of, that was the first thing I used to look for in the band, as most of the fakes had links that were all the same thickness instead of being tapered as they went down the band closer to the clasp . That theory went out-the-door a while ago.

Maybe we should write a book on Rolex bands with the deux or whatever his name is! LOL
....somethin like rlxDelreus on VRF.....what a MORON!!!!

....looks like I lied about goin to the garage....could NOT pull myself away from this wonderful place.

....I really am goin to bed now.
Stan.
Old 17 July 2008, 04:06 PM   #15
MikeV
Banned

Watch: GMTIIc
Is 30 bucks a good deal for a link? If it is, I say buy it if you need it...it's only 30 bucks (for now). When you receive it and it's real then you got a good deal. If it's a fake, you're not out too much money and now you can report the seller for fraud and probably cause him more harm and trouble than the 30bucks he got from you (and you'll prob. get your money back). He's a big seller and confirms that it is authentic, so if turns out that it is fake I would hope ebay would penalize him.
MikeV is offline   Reply With Quote