The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 24 July 2021, 08:14 AM   #181
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Oh heck no with boredom. Maybe it depends on your partner in crime

The plan my muse / wife and I have is to one day move to our self-sustaining(ish) island. We raise chickens, have a nice garden, etc. Clothes are optional of course, and enjoy life together happily ever after.
If I had F U money I’d buy a small private island like some celebs have and my idea of paradise is to sail there with my wife, son, dogs and ancillary staff. Spend a 3 weeks there just us, see more coconuts than people, then sail back 1 week a month to do “normal things” like eating out, shopping etc. In my fantasy world I’d also have a 5740 to keep track of time. And a 5650 for swimming and cleaning up dog poop.
Old 24 July 2021, 08:49 AM   #182
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
Come visit us in Monterey when we move back in October.

Like I've said in the past - if you're willing to pay to play, there's no other place in America that can beat it in terms of weather, things to do, proximity to things (surf / snowboard in the same day), beautiful people, etc.

It's the cost that deters a lot of people, as seen by many of the responses in this thread.

Would love to! Totally agree, it’s pricey but worth it. It’s 100 right now in Sacramento and 61 in pebble beach. You just can’t beat the weather there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 July 2021, 08:54 AM   #183
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sub, YM16623
Have been in Hawaii since 2000 save for this 3-year work stint in NZ, which ends in Nov. IMO can’t beat the weather it’s just fantastic. It’s expensive, but we have adjusted to the costs. Our plan is to retire in Hawaii and travel when we can, but just enjoy the sunshine and nice breeze. Hawaii has the highest longevity of all US states, I hope to add to the upper end of that average.

As others have said, find wherever makes you happy and enjoy the ride.

Cheers, Tim
Old 24 July 2021, 08:59 AM   #184
asloper6001
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
My biggest gripe is the cost of living, but I do well for myself so it’s a non-issue. I could live a higher lifestyle in another state, but I don’t want for material. I live and work in a good area, halfway between the beach and the mountains. If you can avoid getting caught up in the political nonsense that plagues THE ENTIRE COUNTRY, it’s not so bad. Like I said, I’ve been in worse places.
This. I don't think anyone is ever truly happy once they lived somewhere for awhile. I once played golf with a couple guys that lived in LA JOLLA CA. I lived in Dana Point CA at the time and they were like I wish I lived there. I simply stated I wished I lived in LA JOLLA. I can confirm living halfway from the beach to the mountains is perfect imo. Every beach can have its share of shady characters some more than others and where I'm at now that has almost become irrelevant.

I'm a transplant from VA/DC and been out here for about 5 yrs. Couldn't pay me to go back to DC.
Old 24 July 2021, 09:16 AM   #185
tadbart
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
California is...

EXACTLY what the majority of its voters want it to be. The current conditions are a self-inflicted wound.
Old 24 July 2021, 09:59 AM   #186
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
I think the happiness you find wherever you are is in direct correlation to your own intrinsic happiness. CA is rad, NYC is rad, Dallas is rad, Seattle, Boise, etc etc etc. if you don’t like your circumstances, change em.
Old 24 July 2021, 10:10 AM   #187
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
If I had F U money I’d buy a small private island like some celebs have and my idea of paradise is to sail there with my wife, son, dogs and ancillary staff. Spend a 3 weeks there just us, see more coconuts than people, then sail back 1 week a month to do “normal things” like eating out, shopping etc..
Ooooh yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
I think the happiness you find wherever you are is in direct correlation to your own intrinsic happiness. CA is rad, NYC is rad, Dallas is rad, Seattle, Boise, etc etc etc. if you don’t like your circumstances, change em.
EXACTLY!

Except for Baltimore and Chicago... if you're still there please be sure to turn off the lights as the last one leaving
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 24 July 2021, 11:37 AM   #188
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

EXACTLY!

Except for Baltimore and Chicago... if you're still there please be sure to turn off the lights as the last one leaving
I used to tour and play music in a regional band. We played in Baltimore one night. I slept in the van with my pitbull (she used to travel with us) and a pistol as I have never been more certain we were gonna get robbed. Lol. That place (at least wherever we stayed that night) was terrifying.
Old 24 July 2021, 12:17 PM   #189
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I don’t know about you guys but I’m having a grand ole time in East Los Angeles. More internationally known as Las Vegas...
Old 24 July 2021, 12:44 PM   #190
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I love many cities and enjoy every visit...Tokyo, Portland, Seattle, Paris, Dallas, San Diego, Chicago and many more.
You could not pay me to live within 50 miles of any of them. I need open space, a DMZ between myself and neighbors and a place that actually gets dark at night.

I keep hearing about the beach...do people living in CA actually go to the beach regularly?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 24 July 2021, 12:48 PM   #191
M45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I love many cities and enjoy every visit...Tokyo, Portland, Seattle, Paris, Dallas, San Diego, Chicago and many more.
You could not pay me to live within 50 miles of any of them. I need open space, a DMZ between myself and neighbors and a place that actually gets dark at night.

I keep hearing about the beach...do people living in CA actually go to the beach regularly?

Only those who live in places like HMB or Pacifica.
Old 24 July 2021, 01:21 PM   #192
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:

I ride my bike 85 miles round trip to the beach every Sunday.
Old 24 July 2021, 01:37 PM   #193
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Anytime I lose a little CA mojo, I turn up California Love courtesy of Tupac and Dre.

Ski near Tahoe, hike in Yosemite, enjoy the Redwoods near the coast, and hit some the dunes near Pismo. I still see paradise with tech opportunities everywhere.
Old 24 July 2021, 03:35 PM   #194
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks".
Old 24 July 2021, 04:56 PM   #195
james89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nomos Club Datum
Is California perfect?
_Nope, not even close.

Do I always agree with political climate of Ca?
_Most of the time, no.

Are people leaving California in droves?
_Perhaps they are. However, we still have a high demand for houses and a severely short supply. I guess, not everybody is leaving ;)

Is the California Dream dying?
_From my perspective, no. I joined this forum 10 years ago when I was an undergrad student and now I am a working professional. I live in a decent area of LA county. My house is paid off. I am looking to purchase an investment property in the 5 years. Has everything always been easy for me? nope. However, I believe with hard work, frugality and a little luck, the California dream is still very much alive :D
Old 24 July 2021, 09:05 PM   #196
austinp
"TRF" Member

Does anyone surf and snow ski in the same day?

Old 24 July 2021, 11:20 PM   #197
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
Does anyone surf and snow ski in the same day?

I’ve snow skied and been to the beach on the same day, though not actually surfed.
Old 25 July 2021, 12:03 AM   #198
One_Ping_Only
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftd View Post
Have been in Hawaii since 2000 save for this 3-year work stint in NZ, which ends in Nov. IMO can’t beat the weather it’s just fantastic. It’s expensive, but we have adjusted to the costs. Our plan is to retire in Hawaii and travel when we can, but just enjoy the sunshine and nice breeze. Hawaii has the highest longevity of all US states, I hope to add to the upper end of that average.

As others have said, find wherever makes you happy and enjoy the ride.

Cheers, Tim
You make me honestly want to just pick up my belongings and take a flight out to Hawaii and live there.

If life can be so simple I would but real life has me here in NNJ. one can't say the paths they'll go down life but a path to paradise I won't complain about.

The cost of living I probably would for the first few weeks haaaa!!??

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Old 25 July 2021, 12:04 AM   #199
One_Ping_Only
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I ride my bike 85 miles round trip to the beach every Sunday.
Ride your bike 85 miles??

You're a better and obviously better fit man than I am because I get tired driving 40 miles needless to say biking 85

Good for you!!!

Old 25 July 2021, 12:22 AM   #200
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Ping_Only View Post
Ride your bike 85 miles??

You're a better and obviously better fit man than I am because I get tired driving 40 miles needless to say biking 85

Good for you!!!

Old habit…..I used to do it daily, year round. I couldn’t do that when I lived in the Midwest, as it pertains to this thread.
Old 25 July 2021, 12:23 AM   #201
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
the "exodus" is highly exaggerated.
Really? I have family there and ALL of them are thinking of moving away or already have. For many people (myself included) it's no longer on the list of places I'd want to move. I think the exodus has only just begun. Especially now that with technology, the tech and movie industries don't need so much centralization. We'll see!
Old 25 July 2021, 12:31 AM   #202
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
Really? I have family there and ALL of them are thinking of moving away or already have. For many people (myself included) it's no longer on the list of places I'd want to move. I think the exodus has only just begun. Especially now that with technology, the tech and movie industries don't need so much centralization. We'll see!
Exactly, it's cost that deters most people. After all it's a state of mind.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2021...y=90&auto=webp
Old 25 July 2021, 12:39 AM   #203
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Quote:

Yes tons of people go to the beach everyday here in sunny California - Venice Beach is one of the best it's Awesome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg homeless2.jpg (101.0 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Venice Beach.jpg (268.7 KB, 120 views)
Old 25 July 2021, 12:41 AM   #204
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
Yes tons of people go to the beach everyday here in sunny California - Venice Beach is one of the best it's Awesome

That’s awesome do they always have the farmers market set up right by the beach? Any good papaya?
Old 25 July 2021, 12:51 AM   #205
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
That’s awesome do they always have the farmers market set up right by the beach? Any good papaya?
Most days yes and always great art shows too

Here's today's news from afar - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...boardwalk.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg More Good Times.jpg (67.0 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg Greetings.jpg (50.8 KB, 115 views)
Old 25 July 2021, 12:59 AM   #206
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Yes, I've seen Venice Beach. I meant do people other than the ones who live on the beach go there?

Old 25 July 2021, 12:59 AM   #207
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Venice beach was pretty bad back in the 80s.

Ask those homeless people where they came from originally.

Although they may be drug addicted and/or mentally ill, they know enough to get out of the cold states. That's one reason why California has a homeless problem.

Homeless people from all over the country trying to get to where they won't freeze to death. Not an easy problem to fix.
Old 25 July 2021, 01:10 AM   #208
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Lots of good bike shops on the beach too here in California

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bike Shop.jpg (274.4 KB, 106 views)
Old 25 July 2021, 01:17 AM   #209
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Venice beach was pretty bad back in the 80s.

Ask those homeless people where they came from originally.

Although they may be drug addicted and/or mentally ill, they know enough to get out of the cold states. That's one reason why California has a homeless problem.

Homeless people from all over the country trying to get to where they won't freeze to death. Not an easy problem to fix.
Natural selection
Old 25 July 2021, 01:22 AM   #210
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon2

Born and Raised in California!

Why should I have to leave??

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
Closed Thread