The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 July 2021, 07:12 AM   #1
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
Newer cars are junk- am I the only one who thinks this?

The things I dislike about new cars:

- They all look the same. I think it's because of all the government safety regulations- they all end up looking the same to accomodate the requirements.

- windows are all too small including front and back windshield. You can't rest your elbow out the window comfortably when driving because the frame is too high up. Years ago, there used to be a safety feature that the back windows wouldn't roll all the way down. No longer needed because now the window is just that much smaller.

- too many gadgets. I like buttons that I can feel for radio presets because I can keep my eyes on the road. Now they are all flat screens and you can't feel the buttons.

- too expensive for what you get.

- new trucks are the worst. The truck bed is so high off the ground you literally need to hop in the bed in order to get items out. In the 90's, you could just reach in from the side and grab what you need. They try to make them look too aggressive now and they're over-engineered. I don't think they will last in the long run.

- too many safety functions. I don't want the car to buzz when I change lanes or when a car passes by me or if I don't wear a seatbelt. It's not a relaxing driving experience.

- too much plastic and cheap construction.

They really took the fun out of things. My '05 car is about to retire and I'm wondering what I should get next for a daily driver and I'm struggling to find any car I actually like. To be practical I need to buy something modern. Maybe a new toyota camry, avalon or 4 runner. Those are in the lead so far. But part of me wants to buy a car from the 90s with low miles because I like them better. Like a 94 acura or lexus.
pk552502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 07:29 AM   #2
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't go as far as junk but I get the drift.

I agree in that they are starting to look the same, share similar tech and have gotten super expensive. I think leasing has driven the prices up since everything is payment driven. Personally I don't know how much more tech we need, between our phones and cars it's a lot. I have no interest in turning on my living rooms lights from my car or reading restaurant reviews on my dashboard. It's gotten a bit silly IMO. Cars are now iPhones, trade them in every 2-3 years for the newer tech and disco ball screen.

As for overall quality, the jury is still out but I have to think all this tech will eventually fail and then what? These cars won't be worth much in their third life so off to the junker they go and then auto makers pride themselves on being environmentally responsible.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 07:54 AM   #3
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk552502 View Post
"You can't rest your elbow out the window comfortably when driving because the frame is too high up.

- too many gadgets. I like buttons that I can feel for radio presets because I can keep my eyes on the road. Now they are all flat screens and you can't feel the buttons.

- too expensive for what you get."

- too much plastic and cheap construction.
These points right here. Man, I always wondered why it was so uncomfortable putting my arm on window frame of my wife's Lexus. My 2021 4Runner is OK, though; just barely wide enough.

I think the price keeps creeping up on new cars BECAUSE of all of the gadgets that are "mandatory". Sensors, digital radio and screens, electronic EVERYTHING instead of physical controls... Even the 4Runner is going "smart" and it infuriates me. My In-Laws have a 2000 4Runner that is still going strong, for the most part. I'm not sure I will be able to hand down my 2021 4Runner in 2032 when my son starts driving, mostly because I don't trust the electronics to last that long.

If you are considering a 4Runner for daily driving, I would recommend something more fuel efficient. It blows my mind that even with all of these sensors and algorithms running for peak performance and safety, I still can't get about 16 MPG on the freeway in mine. I love most things about it (except all the plastic, which is on any new car, as you noted... no getting around it), but the fuel consumption is brutal. I think a lot of that has to do with the 4-speed transmission.

I guess the old saying is still true: They just don't make 'em like they used to.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 07:55 AM   #4
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I hear you, and understand. Over-all, I don’t agree they were made better in the past. My father, a car nut, had never owned a car that made it to 100,000 miles, until I was about 10 in the mid/late 70s. Now, you hear about vehicles hitting 200, 300, even more. I also feel the advancements have made them safer, more efficient, less polluting etc.

HOWEVER!

I DO understand what you are saying. I look back at some of the classics from the 30s up until 1980. They had class. They were metal, the engines were simple, you couldn’t find plastic anywhere and they exuded design and… Class.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 07:58 AM   #5
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I hear you, and understand. Over-all, I don’t agree they were made better in the past. My father, a car nut, had never owned a car that made it to 100,000 miles, until I was about 10 in the mid/late 70s. Now, you hear about vehicles hitting 200, 300, even more. I also feel the advancements have made them safer, more efficient, less polluting etc.

HOWEVER!

I DO understand what you are saying. I look back at some of the classics from the 30s up until 1980. They had class. They were metal, the engines were simple, you couldn’t find plastic anywhere and they exuded design and… Class.
I think the trade off is that you'll get 200-300k miles on the engine, but the interior and "gadgets" will break down significantly faster than that.
Old 16 July 2021, 07:59 AM   #6
Mifune
Banned

no... I dont agree...
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 08:03 AM   #7
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
For being a younger guy I don't disagree with you. I have a fleet of vintage vehicles that I tinker on but to fill the daily void I suggest you consider ordering a vehicle to your own specs rather than buying one off the lot. (Especially if you're thinking truck).

Have special ordered my last few trucks, including the 2021 F250 Tremor I collected at the end of January, and save for a few mandated things like backup cam etc - I don't have any frills or intrusive safety features I didn't want.

$1,000 deposit, 12 week wait.
Old 16 July 2021, 08:15 AM   #8
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Junk.

All junk.

Garbage!!!!!

84 Rabbit Diesel best car.

Manual everything. No HVAC or even headrests. Never had a problem!!!!!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 08:27 AM   #9
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
im with you 100%.
Old 16 July 2021, 08:31 AM   #10
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
To me it seems as though its all a matter of what's important to you and what you are willing to pay for. There have never been more options to you as an auto consumer, and if money isn't a real barrier you can get just about anything you want. But if you are saying that entry-level or even moderately priced cars aren't made well, that's a debate. I mean you're right that sheet metal isn't as thick as it was in the 30's and 40's but less people are being killed by their dashboards too. Manufacturing and technological advancements come with trade-offs. What's important to you, what are you willing to pay for. Custom car builders/restorers can literally rebuild you a car from any era you'd like, including any mix of modern and vintage attributes you want you just have to pay for that kind of craftsmanship and time.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 08:43 AM   #11
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
No sir. I don’t agree.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 08:43 AM   #12
CKizzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tachymeter
Okay BOOMER ;)
CKizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 08:55 AM   #13
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
I disagree. While in general cars are more synthetic and overly digitized some are very reliable with proper maintenance.
Porsche for example has done a phenomenal improvement in reliability and durability but the price isn’t cheap.

As for performance cars, no exotic was ever made to excel in consumer reports stats. For that you need regular cars and SUVs.
For me the king of reliability and durability are Toyotas. The Land Cruiser is a product with reinforced parts that are expected to have a 20-25 lifespan, 4Runners also but to a lesser extent.

When I look at the inside of a 90s MB compared to present day, the new ones look like video games and the older models are like bank vaults.

Ultimately you can’t blame solely the automakers, blame government restrictions and regulations. The combustible engine is being phased out by force.
In 30 years we’ll be saying those cars are junk and how great today’s cars with gas engines and carbon fiber with aluminum body panels vs the all electric plastic cars of tomorrow.

I specifically bought my 2020 4Runner because it’s basically a 90s car but sold new today. All old tried and true tech with basic interior and real buttons.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 08:55 AM   #14
Cru Jones

The safer the better. The less polluting the better. Tomorrow’s electric cars will be cheaper to maintain. All good things IMO.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 08:57 AM   #15
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKizzy View Post
Okay BOOMER ;)
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 09:04 AM   #16
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
The safer the better. The less polluting the better. Tomorrow’s electric cars will be cheaper to maintain. All good things IMO.
I agree, but cheaper for WHO to maintain?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 09:09 AM   #17
Doug5551
"TRF" Member

02 Honda Accord. 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual. 19+ years old. 135k miles. Exactly one part has failed...the Idle Control Module about 11 years ago. Other than that, just brakes, oil changes and air filter.
Doug5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 09:26 AM   #18
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Not quite... while emissions may go down from the direct output of the vehicle (less CO2 in an electric motor, got it...), it still takes power to charge the batteries, which, depending where you live, may be less caustic or polluting than other places, but many are environmentally terrible. Also, that's not even diving into the fact that lithium mining is horrible on the environment. How are we going to continue to increase pace building batteries for these "environmentally friendly" vehicles we all want? Not to mention battery replacement intervals... I think we're trading one pollutant for a Trojan Horse that no one is willing to admit has a lot of issues...

Instead, we could look at alternative fuels and higher efficiency gas engines. It's mind boggling to me that gas engines haven't seen massive increases in fuel efficiency over the last 25+ years despite the universal push for reductions in greenhouse gas emissions.
Old 16 July 2021, 09:56 AM   #19
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I can't say I agree completely.

I do agree a lot of new cars look the same. At the same time, they've made massive safety advancements that I think deserve respect. If Tiger Woods was in a car that was just 10 years old, it is very likely he would have literally been crushed to death as the safety structure of these vehicles have come an incredibly long way. A few years ago I was rear ended by an attractive young lady...hard, and in a car I had bought just 4 months prior. The backside looked like an accordion and it broke apart into a bazillion pieces...which was the car dissipating the energy that my spine otherwise would have met. Less than two decades ago, a friend died in a car accident when I was in high school that in today's vehicles is an impact that the safety structure could withstand and occupants would likely walk away from with only minor injuries. It really cannot be understated just how far vehicle safety has come with respect to survivability.

Simultaneously, I bought one of the most raw and analog new cars on the market that has three pedals, a bare bones interior, and no safety features minus a backup camera, so there are aspects I like about analog cars. I like this car as it has modern safety but old school driving characteristics.

Late-90s/early-2000s cars have a very special charm, especially cars like the Integra Type R, MR2, Trans Am, 300ZX, Terminators, etc.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 10:04 AM   #20
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

My 2005 acura RL has 210k miles on it now. Bought it back in March of 2009 and it's been really good to me. 300 horses still like to gallup. Drives great and very dependable, but it's getting a very slow oil leak and some rust is starting to develop under the back wheel wells. I may try to get a couple more years out of it but I need to start thinking about a replacement. Probably a toyota, lexus or Acura is what I'll get.

I like the 90s and early 2000s LS 400 or 430. Or other luxury cars of that era. But may get a more modern car to be practical. Maybe I just need a modern car for daily and a side car for the weekends.

I wish they made a new car that was centered around performance and no gadgets and over the top electronics. A base car with 300-350 horses with great control and steering and a high quality interior. And a radio- that's it. I would be a buyer.

I like my rolex watches like my cars. No frills and from the 90s and into the early 2000's. Graduated high school in 2002 so I love that era of cars and watches.
Old 16 July 2021, 10:08 AM   #21
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualman88 View Post
im with you 100%.
Yup, me too! I drive an ‘01 Toyota Highlander……I plan on being buried in it.
Old 16 July 2021, 10:09 AM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
No sir. I don’t agree.
X2
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 10:36 AM   #23
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

If I had to sum up this thread in two pictures: First is a new buick. The second is a classy '91 acura legend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buick encore.jpg (173.2 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg acura legend.jpg (173.4 KB, 439 views)
Old 16 July 2021, 11:05 AM   #24
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I'm not touching this one. I'll just say no. I do love my vent windows and going from point A to point B for me is a 1/4 mile at a time. O yah, my wife's Lexus GS350Fsport is nice.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 11:26 AM   #25
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Well made cars still exist the price for them is just significantly higher. Buy a g550, Lexus LX, 911, S class etc
Old 16 July 2021, 12:12 PM   #26
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I concur which is which why I have major issues with the thought of bailing on my gx460. The thing is basically a rolling dinosaur and awesome for it. If I can use these seat jackers I just received to fix the seat comfort I will be keeping it, but if not, I have no clue.

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 12:21 PM   #27
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
I think the trade off is that you'll get 200-300k miles on the engine, but the interior and "gadgets" will break down significantly faster than that.

New drivetrains are composed of mostly small displacement, high pressure, turbo engines running high boost backed up by battery packs and electric motors……I think the days of 200-300k miles on a new car are over.

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 12:34 PM   #28
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
I agree. New cars suck. This is why I drive a 1975 Alfa Romeo Spider. No computers, no GPS, no power windows, no power convertible top, no power seats, no power steering, no cruise control, no check engine light, no sensors. and no annual inspection required. Everything works like new, runs on regular gas, gets 30mpg and a replacement key is $2 bucks. Sweet. And best of all, it's a beautiful machine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ar.JPG (181.3 KB, 409 views)
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 12:44 PM   #29
Ballzzz

01 e46 330 daily - there are only a few cars I hop into after driving this daily that I enjoy driving, it’s really hard if they are new.
Old 16 July 2021, 12:53 PM   #30
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
I’m a truck and motorcycle guy . All the trucks through the years have been great multi purpose vehicles . The new ones are the best in every way . My 2020 Silverado Trail Boss is the best truck yet . Safer , more comfortable, better payload . Cars are boring , I put my motorcycle in the back and drive to the track . Enjoying both truck and bike in the same day .
Malum is online now   Reply With Quote