The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 July 2021, 01:00 PM   #31
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk552502 View Post
If I had to sum up this thread in two pictures: First is a new buick. The second is a classy '91 acura legend.
I remember clearly when when that Legend came out, the coupe was even more beautiful. I love this generation Acura Legend, but my favorite has to be the RSX Type S.
To be fair though, I have to say that if anyone is making cars anywhere near this classy design language, it's Audi. They get a lot of flack for bland designs but I think their design language is very similar to this.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 01:13 PM   #32
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Industry design/construction is determined by a multitude of things such as safety regulations, aerodynamics, costs, demographic trends, etc. Automotive construction is also on the verge of monumental changes through next level modular design and construction techniques………………….. it’s never going back !

Reliability and longevity has changed drastically in recent years, and openly discussed behind the scenes:

1) Industry data indicates the majority of drivers trade during the “second milestone” (60,000-70,000 miles), therefore manufacturers are currently designing for 70,000-100,000 mile durability.

2) Roughly 82% of euro luxury brands are leased (industry PC term for “rental car”), therefore they are designed for approximately 60,00 mile durability.

Exceptions to the above are Toyota and Honda due to their internal mindset and operational standards. For reliable every day use, there are only four to consider, Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Acura ………. that’s it ! It is expected even they will change in the near future, but their sales indicate the opposite.

BTW :
) When people say “*** is a great car, just don’t own it without a warranty” ……………. uh, that might be a sign.

) When people say, “******** is a wonderful car, make sure to lease it” …………… uh, that might be a sign.

PS,
Long term amateur collector tip :

) Early to mid 2000’s, analog, manual transmission performance cars, ranging from Miata to Toyota to Challenger R/T to gated Ferrari ………………… this will be the next “60’s muscle car” boom. Buy excellent examples, as many as you can, care for them properly, reap the rewards in just a few short years.
Old 16 July 2021, 01:25 PM   #33
PekWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Yes. New cars are junk. Expensive. All look like toy cars. Heavy and too complicated. And you can not do maintenance yourself.
PekWatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 01:30 PM   #34
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by PekWatchGuy View Post
you can not do maintenance yourself.

Those days are gone and never coming back.
Old 16 July 2021, 01:58 PM   #35
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
I agree for the most part. There are still some standouts to be had but generally speaking from where they came from at one point when cars had a personality and were actually enjoyable to drive they have definitely gone the wrong way.

Side note as well. You had mentioned maybe getting into a Camry. I would recommend against it if you hate all the stupid technology they are putting on them now.

I rent cars every week and end up in Camrys occasionally. Ergonomically I feel the button layout is a disaster, the organization of the on trip computer on the dash to turn off all the electronic gadgetry is not super easy to navigate,…it is but it kind of goes back to buttons and layouts not making sense, so it’s not at the same time. I guess once you get it all set up it’s not awful but they made so many stupid design choices with button placement on the interior it’s a bit maddening. Why does the car need stupid paddle shifters that will never really be used except by accident, but 40 buttons on the front of the steering wheel with no real indicators to determine which is which by feel. Additionally it seems like even the most basic model has every new annoying safety sensor known to man.

I use to like the Camry a lot as a reliable daily beater, but they are pretty bad now. IMO
Old 16 July 2021, 02:00 PM   #36
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
I agree. New cars suck. This is why I drive a 1975 Alfa Romeo Spider. No computers, no GPS, no power windows, no power convertible top, no power seats, no power steering, no cruise control, no check engine light, no sensors. and no annual inspection required. Everything works like new, runs on regular gas, gets 30mpg and a replacement key is $2 bucks. Sweet. And best of all, it's a beautiful machine.
Very nice. I’ve always liked the lines of old Alfa’s.
Old 16 July 2021, 02:20 PM   #37
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Sorry I completely disagree. Don’t get me wrong, I love a lot of classic performance cars from the 90s as these were the cars I grew up dreaming to own and drive. But current generation performance cars outclass them in almost every way except maybe in aesthetics but even that is subjective. Better cooling, efficient air flow, direct injection, superior suspensions, higher compression ratios, too many advancements to mention and that’s just performance without mention of safety, technology, and reduced emissions.

Although electric cars currently do not interest me, even these will some day outclass my beloved ICE cars in terms of performance. In fact, it’s already begun.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 03:14 PM   #38
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk552502 View Post
Newer cars are junk- am I the only one who thinks this?
You might not be the only one who believes this, but I personally don't hold this opinion.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 07:51 PM   #39
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Sorry I completely disagree. Don’t get me wrong, I love a lot of classic performance cars from the 90s as these were the cars I grew up dreaming to own and drive. But current generation performance cars outclass them in almost every way except maybe in aesthetics but even that is subjective. Better cooling, efficient air flow, direct injection, superior suspensions, higher compression ratios, too many advancements to mention and that’s just performance without mention of safety, technology, and reduced emissions.

Although electric cars currently do not interest me, even these will some day outclass my beloved ICE cars in terms of performance. In fact, it’s already begun.
So last night, we went out to dinner to a restaurant one hour away. My friend went in his 2021 Porsche 911 with a 500+hp engine, 20 inch wheels and every technological option known to man and I went in my 1975 Alfa Romeo with 125hp, 14 inch wheels with no options. We both easily drove the Palisades Parkway in New Jersey with a speed limit of 55MPH. His car blows the pants off mine with better cooling, efficient air flow, direct injection, superior suspensions, higher compression ratios, too many advancements to mention and that’s just performance without mention of safety, technology, and reduced emissions..blah blah blah. Yet we both arrived at the exact same time. Hmmm....
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 08:10 PM   #40
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
The current generation of cars are representative of the progression that has been going on since 1900. Successive models are expected to offer something additional to the previous model. This naturally results in more power than anyone can really use, and a lot of 'mickey-mouse' gimicks to titilate the easily-bored consumer.
There have of course, also been some benefits such as the greater reliability of drive-train components. Whether all the electronic gimmicks last more than a few years is questionable. Not a problem as long as you can afford to trade-up every 3 years, I suppose. Someone else gets all the problems as all the electronic toys fail.
I hate modern cars and will try to keep my older vehicles running as long as possible.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 08:10 PM   #41
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
So last night, we went out to dinner to a restaurant one hour away. My friend went in his 2021 Porsche 911 with a 500+hp engine, 20 inch wheels and every technological option known to man and I went in my 1975 Alfa Romeo with 125hp, 14 inch wheels with no options. We both easily drove the Palisades Parkway in New Jersey with a speed limit of 55MPH. His car blows the pants off mine with better cooling, efficient air flow, direct injection, superior suspensions, higher compression ratios, too many advancements to mention and that’s just performance without mention of safety, technology, and reduced emissions..blah blah blah. Yet we both arrived at the exact same time. Hmmm....
Everyone has their preference.

I prefer the 911.

To call it junk…well…that’s stupid.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 08:37 PM   #42
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Sort of agree with the Op, check my avatar
Old 16 July 2021, 08:48 PM   #43
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Clearly not junk….

https://www.wsj.com/articles/average...rs-11623680640

Uninspiring, bland and monotonous???

By and large I could agree with you there.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 08:54 PM   #44
Andad

Watch: A few.
I’m happy with old and new.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 08:59 PM   #45
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

If ever there was a thread to get me banned….this is the one.

Hard to believe how divisive our species actually is. And superior, even over the era of vehicle build preference.

Old 16 July 2021, 08:59 PM   #46
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

THAT, wasn't a Buick.

THIS, is a BUICK!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (142.7 KB, 135 views)
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 10:00 PM   #47
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Newer cars are junk- am I the only one who thinks this?

Quote:

That’s like saying I went for a walk with my grandfather to the store and we BOTH arrived at the same time. Could have left grandpa in the dust but that would not have been polite lol
Old 16 July 2021, 10:05 PM   #48
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

Hard to believe how divisive our species actually is. And superior, even over the era of vehicle build preference.

Your a car guy Seth, you have a lot of knowledge and experience here! Just from the non tangible driving feel personality connection between man and machine, not many exist that are currently produced. I also believe as someone mentioned earlier in this thread they are also built to have a much shorter lifespan.

Nix exotics for the sake of the masses. Pickups have come along way but even those have lost tons of character. I mean a typical pickup truck has more creature comforts than a Lexus IS from 10 years ago. That doesn’t necessarily make them bad it just fogs the purpose or purity these vehicles once had.

I agree with a lot of what the OP mentions and I really understand why manufacturers are here, to many factors to list, I get it. I am in the camp that feels cars have come a long way, they have great advancements, and somewhat more reliable in the under 100k arena. I also prefer older cars 7/10 times, for whatever that’s worth.
Old 16 July 2021, 10:08 PM   #49
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I do not agree anymore than a rotary dial phone is better than a cell phone or a CRT TV with a dial channel changer is better than a HD flat panel.

Technology is what it is.

Personally I will take all the tech and safety features I can get on a car. My current car is quieter, more powerful, safer, more tech useful and get the best gas mileage of any car I have ever owned.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 10:17 PM   #50
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Actually I prefered the horse drawn carriage! Except for when the horse got gas.....
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 10:21 PM   #51
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Change is hard. The reality is cars statistically are more reliable and safe than ever. Yes I often feel there is too much gadgets but I’ll take the safety and safety of my family all day every day.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 10:31 PM   #52
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

I think modern cars are better in many (safety, performance, fuel consumption) ways but as a whole lack emotional elements, they do tend to blend. Of course not talking exotics or high line luxury cars (everything is considered luxury these days). A visceral connection is lacking as tech seems to be the cars personality.

As for reliability I'm not confident that modern cars can go long, ten gallons of tech in a five gallon hat. The model is to lease them, retail CPO, and then third round junk or bottom level wholesale.

I own a 2020 Mercedes S class, a magnificent auto I love. Not sure yet if I would want to own this out of warranty, will see. Loaded with tech. For those that can remember, there was a time that 100K miles on a Mercedes was just beyond break-in, not anymore. As for my G, that's a keeper.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 10:36 PM   #53
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
This is the most absurd thread I have read in a long time.

“I miss my first cell phone…I hate all these features, too safe too helpful”

I remember in the old days, a wallet was the size of a brick. This thread is glorifying how uncomfortable those days were.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 10:52 PM   #54
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
That’s like saying I went for a walk with my grandfather to the store and we BOTH arrived at the same time. Could have left grandpa in the dust but that would not have been polite lol
Nope, that is nothing like what I said. He couldn't leave me in the dust because both of us have to obey the same red lights, stop signs and the speed limit. Oh' and he just told me that his check engine light came on- again. What a joke.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication ― Leonardo da Vinci
Old 16 July 2021, 11:01 PM   #55
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Nope, that is nothing like what I said. He couldn't leave me in the dust because both of us have to obey the same red lights, stop signs and the speed limit. Oh' and he just told me that his check engine light came on- again. What a joke.

To be fair, I took it the same way as GB.

And I think your friend was just being nice.

Old 16 July 2021, 11:07 PM   #56
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Old 16 July 2021, 11:10 PM   #57
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Nice, was it an Alfa Giulia Spider or the Alfa Romeo Spider?
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 11:19 PM   #58
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
Nice, was it an Alfa Giulia Spider or the Alfa Romeo Spider?
Alfa Romeo Spider.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spider.JPG (104.2 KB, 127 views)
Old 16 July 2021, 11:20 PM   #59
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Alfa Romeo Spider.
She’s a beauty.

Old 16 July 2021, 11:31 PM   #60
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

I'm 62. I can remember the 70's cars that literally fell apart from the rust in 4-5 years. Remember the areas behind the front wheels that disintegrated along with the quarter panels in back??? Sometimes the top of the front fenders had holes after a couple of winters. Inner fender liners helped a bit.

Mechanically they required more routine maintenance, but didn't usually leave you on the side of the road, you could limp home with an out of adjustment carb or points. Try that when your computer decides to give up the ghost.

I have a 1969 Lincoln Mark III. Built like a tank and still has more beautiful lines than any current econo box. Extremely complicated for the time though. Many options run by vacuum, there are about 4 "tomato" cans under the hood which provide the vacuum to run the headlight covers etc. Some of the earlier Cadillacs had hydraulics which operated the power windows. Imagine finding someone to work on those today

I go to car shows frequently. The old cars are amazing. You can actually tell the difference between a Buick, Cadi, Ford, or Pontiac from 100 yards away. Try doing that in today's auto mile.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote