The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 July 2021, 11:31 AM   #61
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
Such a waste of resources. Not sure why they still have olympics.
Concur

Old 20 July 2021, 03:37 PM   #62
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
Definition of anxious

1 : characterized by extreme uneasiness of mind or brooding fear about some contingency : worried anxious parents
2 : characterized by, resulting from, or causing anxiety : worrying They spent an anxious night.
3 : ardently or earnestly wishing
She was anxious to learn more

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anxious
Hey thanks!
"I'm anxious about picking my new car up later today."
How would you interpret that statement?
Oh never mind.....
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 11:46 PM   #63
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Officials refusing to rule out cancelling the Olympics due to surging Covid cases... I'm sure money will win out but is becoming a more close run thing as sponsors pull out.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 12:04 AM   #64
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

It's going to be hilarious when we eventually have men winning all men's events as well as men winning all women's events.
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 12:09 AM   #65
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Zero anticipation for the Olympics or any other sporting event. As a child, I enjoyed the Olympics. As an adult, I don't watch or follow any sports.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 02:05 AM   #66
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
I think a lot of these athletes are in sports where there is little outside recognition besides the Olympics. Because of that, I'm OK with it, although we do tend to reward our medaling athletes with much more than most other countries do, thus changing the ratio of incentives from "Compete for your country" to "Compete for a paycheck, and your country".

Although I thoroughly enjoy many of the summer events, I gravitate more towards the winter games, myself. I will still likely tune in for updates on the men's weightlifting (although women's WL is likely going to be male dominated, now, too...), crew/rowing, and a few of the track and field events. No matter what, it is still an amazing feat to make it to the world stage, I just wish every athlete was as proud of representing their nation as in previous games.
People like to say this but this isn't really going to happen in Olympic WL since the weight classes will level it out. In order for a male to transition to female and a lower weight class, they'll have to trim a huge amount of muscle. Male bone and organ structures are naturally larger than females and the only offset to make weight would be through less muscle.

On the 87 kg+ weight category, a transitioned male can eventually rule the female category but it's still a long way off. Laura Hubbard's best in competition total is around 285kg. The #1 female lifter in the same category is Li Wenwen. Her best in competition total is around 335kg. That's nearly 100lb difference that still needs to be made up.

Track and field though is a totally different story where transitioned males to female can dominate female events since there aren't any weight classes leveling performance.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 02:43 AM   #67
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
People like to say this but this isn't really going to happen in Olympic WL since the weight classes will level it out. In order for a male to transition to female and a lower weight class, they'll have to trim a huge amount of muscle. Male bone and organ structures are naturally larger than females and the only offset to make weight would be through less muscle.

On the 87 kg+ weight category, a transitioned male can eventually rule the female category but it's still a long way off. Laura Hubbard's best in competition total is around 285kg. The #1 female lifter in the same category is Li Wenwen. Her best in competition total is around 335kg. That's nearly 100lb difference that still needs to be made up.

Track and field though is a totally different story where transitioned males to female can dominate female events since there aren't any weight classes leveling performance.
AND gender is not written in stone, it's a spectrum.

Not to get too carried away on this but lesbians in sports have often had an edge over other women. In tennis, in swimming etc etc. Ever seen a "girls" adult level softball team or hockey team. Some of those women are as strong as men.

I remember the Russian and East German "womens' athletes that used to compete in the Olympics. There were definitely some hormones and 'chemistry' at work there. There were later stories of how some of them died young or had serious issues due to the hormone "treatments".

This is going to be an ongoing issue that will need to be dealt with somehow. Both women and men are on a spectrum of how much muscle they can put on and what sports they can and do excel in
and the new issue of trans people are going to have to be addressed some how. Life is messy.

That's what is so great about a lot of team sports, is that all types of body types can usually play and find a niche. The biggest and strongest and tallest is not always the preferred body style for every position.
Old 21 July 2021, 02:58 AM   #68
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Anyone anxious for the Olympics?

I’m looking forward to them starting.

Feel bad for Tokyo though, all the costs, but presumably not the same level of payback due to cv19 restrictions on traveling fans etc.

Still remember going to watch live in London 2012. Great experience

Also really enjoy the Winter Olympics too, but the summer games have all the big ticket events like 100M sprint etc.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 05:32 AM   #69
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
You’ll have the typical gnashing of teeth about athletes being quarantined over positive Covid diagnosis, hand wringing from the media who will give some “expert” armchair quarterbacking how it was too soon to do the games, and spoiled athletes from western countries coming to the games with a political agenda.

In other words, nothing worth watching.
Nailed it.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 07:25 AM   #70
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
Hey thanks!
"I'm anxious about picking my new car up later today."
How would you interpret that statement?
Oh never mind.....
It's all about context. Anxious about... and anxious for... may indicate different meanings. It appears several in this thread weren't aware of all the meanings of the word.

Apparently, people are now anxious that the Olympics, at this late date, may be cancelled since the head of the Olympics has indicated that is still possible if the cases of covid continue to increase. I hope not because I'm anxious to see the athletes compete. Not really.
Old 21 July 2021, 07:38 AM   #71
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
It's all about context. Anxious about... and anxious for... may indicate different meanings. It appears several in this thread weren't aware of all the meanings of the word.

Apparently, people are now anxious that the Olympics, at this late date, may be cancelled since the head of the Olympics has indicated that is still possible if the cases of covid continue to increase. I hope not because I'm anxious to see the athletes compete. Not really.
Your anxiety for/about the Olympics is misplaced. Just be excited about it instead then you don't need to be anxious about/for the context.
(Although the Olympics are a joke these days so I'm not at all excited/anxious about/for it myself).
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 07:43 AM   #72
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

If you're the head of NBC you may be a bit anxious.
Old 21 July 2021, 08:17 AM   #73
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yup. I tried to check before posting lol. I had no idea it would be an issue though. Issue not like the action of supplying or distributing an item for use, sale, or official purposes but more like a topic or problem for debate or discussion

https://forum.wordreference.com/thre...us-of.2144122/
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 08:21 AM   #74
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
If you're the head of NBC you may be a bit anxious.
NBC announced record sales for the Olympics, with more dollars and advertisers than Rio and I thought I read more new advertisers. Seems like they are OK.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 08:30 AM   #75
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I guess my Speedmaster Tokyo 2020 Edition is forever one year off.

I can't say I am excited about it starting but I always watch a few events. My total TV consumption in the summer months is about 4 hours/week so I'll likely record some and get around to deleting it in October.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 08:51 AM   #76
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
NBC announced record sales for the Olympics, with more dollars and advertisers than Rio and I thought I read more new advertisers. Seems like they are OK.
But if they are cancelled I wonder what happens.

NBC has already spent millions and if it's cancelled those advertisers aren't gonna pay for reruns of Wide World of Poker and Law and Order.
Old 21 July 2021, 09:26 AM   #77
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

NBC has already spent millions and if it's cancelled those advertisers aren't gonna pay for reruns of Wide World of Poker and Law and Order.

It’s all insured, at least if there’s no event. But the Olympics are happening, I don’t think that was ever in question really.

I guess it’s a fair question to ask “what if certain events get cancelled and my ad doesn’t run”. Or I wonder how it’ll pan out if some of the high profile US athletes can’t participate due to positive tests and the prime time swimming or gymnastics doesn’t have the audiences they expect (and the advertisers paid for). I’d assume NBC have that risk insured too.

We must have some ad execs here that can fill us in on how all this works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 09:35 AM   #78
Jiayinli23
Banned

Watch: 126719BLRO Meteori
Is it safe yet? I don't think everyone going for the games is vaccinated.
Jiayinli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 10:08 AM   #79
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Maybe they can pivot to an eGame platform.

J/K
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 10:22 AM   #80
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:

Print some money and give it back to ‘em.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 01:10 AM   #81
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

They're absolutely bonkers to even consider it.

Fewer than 20% of Japanese are vaccinated. Japan has relatively low incidence of Covid.
Participants and crews from all over the globe turn up and turn Tokyo into a
huge Petri Dish where a myriad of perhaps, even more deadly strains can develop.
Having mingled, the participants, then fly home, potentially spreading any new variants.

The Japanese population are scared and unhappy, but are too 'polite' and well
disciplined to stage protests.

If this nonsense really goes ahead, God help Japan, and God help the rest of us!

Madness!

I don't suppose the CEO's of any of the big sponsors would even dream of sending their nearest and dearest to Japan to mingle......... Of course not!
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 01:29 AM   #82
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
Your anxiety for/about the Olympics is misplaced. Just be excited about it instead then you don't need to be anxious about/for the context.
(Although the Olympics are a joke these days so I'm not at all excited/anxious about/for it myself).
No anxiety on my end. Just pointing out that you are attempting to correct the OP's use of a word when in fact you are the one who doesn't know the meaning of the word.
Old 22 July 2021, 08:24 AM   #83
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Oh is that happening this year?
No. I don't want the "show". The politicizing. The self-aggrandizing. There's no humility. It's not fun anymore. Not fun for me anyway.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 08:32 AM   #84
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Congrats to Brisbane
Old 22 July 2021, 08:50 AM   #85
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Congrats to Brisbane
Yes, I agree my friend. Australia has always hosted fabulous games.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 08:53 AM   #86
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Yes, I agree my friend. Australia has always hosted fabulous games.
Old 22 July 2021, 08:00 PM   #87
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
The Olympics are a farce and have always been so.
They benefit only the army of excessively paid (and often corrupt) officials and the athletes who participate. The "ceremonies" are bloated and ridiculous examples of national oneupmanship that almost bankrupt some cities and host countries and leave behind facilities that are not needed.
I wouldn't walk across the street to attend and for the Tokyo Olympics to go ahead in the middle of a pandemic is madness that WILL be regretted.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote