The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 July 2018, 10:32 PM   #1
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
$15,650

...to paint my house!

Does that seem reasonable? Anyone in my area (Connecticut) with some suggested other REPUTABLE painters/restorers?

Note this is just sand and paint- I’ll be doing any structural or cosmetic restoration.

Thanks! We’d like to get this done by fall.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 10:36 PM   #2
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
...to paint my house!

Does that seem reasonable? Anyone in my area (Connecticut) with some suggested other REPUTABLE painters/restorers?

Note this is just sand and paint- I’ll be doing any structural or cosmetic restoration.

Thanks! We’d like to get this done by fall.
Depends. How big is your house and what are you painting? Have you priced the paint and figured the labor?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 10:45 PM   #3
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I've seen higher and lower. Whats the size? Is it all siding/plank or is there brick or stone?
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 10:46 PM   #4
Abdullah71601
Banned

One story or two stories (scaffold labor adds up).
Old 18 July 2018, 10:54 PM   #5
Hpozzuoli
Banned

Watch: Rolex
If it is a larger house then yes that is in the ball park, but on the high side. This quote should include all the prep (scraping old paint, fixing rotted trim, painting or removing gutters/gutter helmets, doors, door/window trim etc. If two story then staging, ladder, planks, and man power.

If this price is just to put paint on what’s there and do no prep then it’s crazy high. I build houses and remodel them. My house is a 4400sqft two story contemporary and if I was to paint it I would probably charge around $11-12k.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 12:09 AM   #6
J!m
"TRF" Member

The house is +/- 2500 sq. ft (floor space) 2-story colonial built in 1939. Attached 2-car garage.

Quote is clean, prep (sanding, scraping) [75% tint] prime and paint All Ben Moore materials included. Trim can be second color, no additional charge (currently it is monochromatic)

We have brick face that has been painted (several times) and I wanted to bring that back, but that is not included in this quote. That alone will probably be an additional 5 grand- pressure wash then soda blast I presume based on the touch-ups I've done...

EDIT- siding is western red cedar shingles, trim is dentil/crown. Gutters are less than five years old- some have returns that I did when I did repairs on areas before. Adding the returns and reconstructing the dentil trim for modern gutters not included.

(It was original cedar shake roof with integrated copper gutters that all returned. When a modern roof was installed [prior to the 5-year old one on there now], the copper was cut and [poorly] capped on the returns. I had some water/insect damage to deal with...)
Old 19 July 2018, 12:18 AM   #7
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Have you asked for another quote. Get a few more. Check the Angie list stuff for your area.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 12:21 AM   #8
J!m
"TRF" Member

Oh, absolutely. I don't do anything like this without at least three quotes (unless it's something no one else can do).

I know he does good work, and it meticulous and neat. This may not be off the mark at all but I grew up with Jet-age Aluminum siding so only ever painted trim...
Old 19 July 2018, 12:26 AM   #9
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
I've always fielded a few quotes when getting work done.

Depending on where you are in CT contractors will take shots at you just based on your address. Do you homework. Get a few quotes. Find out how long the job will take, how many men will work the job, cost of materials etc.

I've always found it helpful to get a break down of the cost of materials and cost of labor if they will give it to you - this way you can see your hourly labor rate - they don't like breaking it down this way as it exposes the real numbers.

Being in Westchester NY just about everyone that comes to my house to give me quote for work I feel like always takes a shot at me. I feel like I have to do my best job of convincing them I'm not loaded to get a fair shake.
Old 19 July 2018, 12:31 AM   #10
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
We did paint our entire house - cedar siding about 2 years ago when we moved in along with the decks (2 large and 1 Juliette). Cost was $6000. They did not scrape/sand and remove the previous paint on the house. I don't believe it was necessary as the previous paint job appeared to be fairly recent and wasn't peeling etc.
Old 19 July 2018, 12:37 AM   #11
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
For 2,500 sq ft that seems high to me. My house is 1,600 sq ft and only cost $5,000 for inside and out. Not sure if rates in Florida are that much lower but I would definitely keep looking for another painter.
Old 19 July 2018, 12:50 AM   #12
J!m
"TRF" Member

The painting is the "easy" part. I know, first hand, there are at least five coats of paint, and it is peeling significantly where the shutters were- that didn't get prepped for one of the paint jobs- and it is peeling badly.

And all the dentil will have to be painted by hand with a brush. Since I made a bunch of it for repairs, and subsequently painted it, I know that is a good chunk of labor.

I'm searching angie's now but I wanted to get a feel.
Old 19 July 2018, 12:52 AM   #13
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Oh, absolutely. I don't do anything like this without at least three quotes (unless it's something no one else can do).

I know he does good work, and it meticulous and neat. This may not be off the mark at all but I grew up with Jet-age Aluminum siding so only ever painted trim...
So were the other two comparable?

Sorry these sound like dumb questions and you may have already done this but you seem to leave a bit out and I just have to ask.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 01:03 AM   #14
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

High quote.

My house is 3000 sq ft and we got the ENTIRE inside/outside painted except doors/interior baseboards for $10,000.
rolexinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 01:10 AM   #15
J!m
"TRF" Member

Working on a second quote now. Plenty of "painters" but I key on companies that can do restoration, even though I don't need that service, as they tend to have a better understanding painting a home from the 30's rather than the 80's... Not finding a lot fitting that description.

I have a feeling the labor rates in Florida are significantly lower than CT. I don't think the material cost is a significant factor between the areas.
Old 19 July 2018, 01:47 AM   #16
Hpozzuoli
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Based on the description I would say around 8k without seeing it. The labor is going to be in the prep. The finished product is also going to reflect the level of prep. I would get another quote and see how far off they are. Even get a third quote if you can find enough people to show up. I feel 15k is way over the top based on your description.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 02:34 AM   #17
J!m
"TRF" Member

I should have another coming tonight to quote, and a third tomorrow night...

Home advisor with a high number of positive reviews in both cases. For what that's worth.
Old 19 July 2018, 02:36 AM   #18
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Working on a second quote now. Plenty of "painters" but I key on companies that can do restoration, even though I don't need that service, as they tend to have a better understanding painting a home from the 30's rather than the 80's... Not finding a lot fitting that description.

I have a feeling the labor rates in Florida are significantly lower than CT. I don't think the material cost is a significant factor between the areas.
Restoration guys tend to be at the upper end of the skill and salary range. You want somebody that will do more than slap paint on the wall. At that price though, I would expect minor carpentry and a pretty thorough prep. It should look fresh when it’s finished.
Old 19 July 2018, 04:18 AM   #19
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Price seems in range with the current marker IMO. There is a lot of work out there and only so many guys can do it right now (at least the correct way) so the cost to get these jobs done are now increasing.

I would absolutely get multiple prices, but wouldn't be shocked if they came in close to that number.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 04:21 AM   #20
J!m
"TRF" Member

Although I don't like the number, I just need a reality check.

Since I would do any "heavy" restoration (re-making dentil etc.) there should only be prep and paint labor in there- maybe a buffer for unexpected stuff of course.
Old 19 July 2018, 04:26 AM   #21
nick c
Banned

Very very expensive.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 04:27 AM   #22
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexinfl View Post
High quote.

My house is 3000 sq ft and we got the ENTIRE inside/outside painted except doors/interior baseboards for $10,000.
How is this so cheap?

In Europe you pay at least 10k euro for the inside of a normal sized house (1500-2500 square feet if I'm correct). If I'd let someone paint my appartment I would have paid at least 5-6.000 euro for 1400 square feet.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 05:16 AM   #23
goin camping
"TRF" Member

Will they be using a brush, air sprayer or an airless sprayer?

I ask because the airless paint coat is many times thicker layer of paint (more gallons of paint) than an air sprayer and with shingles I doubt they are rolling it.
goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 05:29 AM   #24
J!m
"TRF" Member

Roller and brush
Old 19 July 2018, 05:46 AM   #25
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Any chance you have neighbors who can recommend a painter they’ve used? That way you can evaluate their workmanship first hand and maybe leverage a price comparo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 06:00 AM   #26
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
High quote.

Sounds like he works for slave wages- my kind of guy. Post his website here and phone # and I will gladly pay him 10K to do the same job on my house.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 06:02 AM   #27
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Sanding and scraping is very time consuming. The final result will depend greatly on the preparations. I'd rather pay more for a well executed quality job.
Old 19 July 2018, 06:13 AM   #28
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
How is this so cheap?

In Europe you pay at least 10k euro for the inside of a normal sized house (1500-2500 square feet if I'm correct). If I'd let someone paint my appartment I would have paid at least 5-6.000 euro for 1400 square feet.
Not sure, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
Sounds like he works for slave wages- my kind of guy. Post his website here and phone # and I will gladly pay him 10K to do the same job on my house.
He was a firefighter or something and he did it on his days off. He has an official business but apparently two incomes works well for him.

He was less than other quotes by 25-30% easy.

We got lucky, I guess. All sherwin-williams paint, too.
rolexinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 06:15 AM   #29
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Not sure, lol

He was a firefighter or something and he did it on his days off. He has an official business but apparently two incomes works well for him.

He was less than other quotes by 25-30% easy.

We got lucky, I guess. All sherwin-williams paint, too.
Again Post his website and business # to his 'official business'. I got 10K waiting for him.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 07:28 AM   #30
Sperry
"TRF" Member

My dad stopped using his long-time painter . . .

. . . when he started showing up in a looooong Mercedes to give quotes.

Try finding a plumber who will do correct lathe & plaster repairs after the pipes are repaired.
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote