The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 July 2021, 10:37 AM   #31
ks58
Banned

They make some great watches, so I would say Yes. Looking at getting 2, maybe 3 within the next year.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 10:39 AM   #32
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
Yes , definitely lowers the percentage of posts asking , is it smart to buy this watch, is it a good investment , how long should I wait from an AD ,I’ve scratched my watch should I send it to RSC or should I put my new Rolex in a safe for 50 years .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 10:42 AM   #33
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Because in spirit and utility they are more in line with classic Rolex than modern references
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 10:48 AM   #34
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malum View Post
Yes , definitely lowers the percentage of posts asking , is it smart to buy this watch, is it a good investment , how long should I wait from an AD ,I’ve scratched my watch should I send it to RSC or should I put my new Rolex in a safe for 50 years .
Exactly…..or people crying about the first scratch lol………Tudor is what Rolex was…..working mans watch
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 11:05 AM   #35
snyde
"TRF" Member

Tudor is way cooler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 11:11 AM   #36
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Always thought TRF was an acronym for Tudor Rolex Forum.

I think Tudor should have its own threads, sale area, misc area. Tutor is in someways a much more interesting subject to discuss. They have a Huge History behind them and they continually release new and innovative watches.

Rolex not so much! Like watching paint dry:)

The advantage of a Tudor area, set up in exactly the same format as the Rolex site, would be to allow Tudor owners to enjoy their interests, without the caustic comments that Tudor threads inevitably get thrown at it.

Might attract new members to the site, possibly engage more existing members that are not so focused on the Crown.

I own both Brands and both are great. Tudor is just more interesting!

My Tudor’s get the most wrist time .
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 11:18 AM   #37
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Being the moderate I am....my vote is this.

Once Rolex pieces actually coexist with Tudor in display cases at AD's around the globe, then we can talk about separating the forum. I like having a forum that includes watches that people can discuss, investigate, and then actually buy.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 11:21 AM   #38
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Oh Louie, sorry you're forced to hang w/ the common folk.
dP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 11:59 AM   #39
casadecamporolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
My first Rolex was $250 in 1976

Quote:
dP
I’m not bragging about anyone’s Rolex snobbery. Hell, I’ve been a janitor, cab driver and bartender. Purist was my term. You wouldn’t recognize my common.

Just not understanding why Tudor doesn’t have its own Topic.
casadecamporolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 12:05 PM   #40
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

This! Tudor buyers also tend to be people who buy watches they like rather than watches to impress others. The Tudor new releases over the past few years have been much more exciting than Rolex's.

I suspect a lot of the Tudor hate here is perpetuated by guys leasing their little starter Benz's and BMW's, in heavy debt trying to look rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Ditto.

And besides, Tudors are actually obtainable, so it's nice to see something posted besides "how much other crap do I have to buy to get a new Rolex?" thread.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 12:11 PM   #41
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Maybe we need to start a Tudor tent city under an overpass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckobros View Post
We poors need a cool place to post too.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 12:36 PM   #42
watchbobby
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Can't help but notice that while the forum is titled "Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics", none of the listings for the following topics even mention Tudor.
watchbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 12:37 PM   #43
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet Type XXI
I can't imagine how boring it must be being a 'Rolex Purist'.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

"Where's the nearest bridge"?
Craigdwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 12:40 PM   #44
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
dP
Lmao.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 12:49 PM   #45
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

I think this is cool enough to be here .
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6DE08FE8-D56B-4E94-B686-B18525A526D9.jpeg (77.4 KB, 210 views)
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 12:52 PM   #46
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
This! Tudor buyers also tend to be people who buy watches they like rather than watches to impress others. The Tudor new releases over the past few years have been much more exciting than Rolex's.

I suspect a lot of the Tudor hate here is perpetuated by guys leasing their little starter Benz's and BMW's, in heavy debt trying to look rich.
While I'm sure a fair share of Tudor owners fit this humble demographic, other people buy Tudors because they simply aren't able to obtain or a afford a Rolex. It's the next best thing sorta speak.

How do I know this? Because I'm one of them. I LOVE my Pelagos, I admire the tooley submariner DNA it has and I was somewhat attracted to this brand purely because of it's association with Rolex. That being said, I have zero doubt that had a GMT been available at retail, I would have purchased that instead of the Tudor. Not because I want to look rich, but because, as a pilot, I've always aspired to own one.

I've been on a list for two years, and I know I won't get the call, and I'm cool with that. I have very respectable income, but I don't have the wealth to establish the kind of relationship that might catapult me to the top of one of the most desirable lists and I simply cannot justify gray market prices at this juncture of my life.

So although I "settled" for a Tudor, I don't regret the purchase in anyway. In some ways, I feel I have enjoyed it more than I would have had I stumbled across the Rolex. I wear the Tudor to work frequently. I accidently knock it against inevitable cockpit protrusions with regularity. I lightly toss it onto a hotel desk after a long day of flying, I don't have to go to great measures to hide it in my luggage when I head to the gym. I adore the Pelagos and would would buy another one in two seconds if they came out with a hulk version. I like it as much as my 300m and it actually keeps better time than my Omega.

So maybe it was ego or insecurity or whatever, but I, without reservation, admit that a large part of my purchase was based on my inability to acquire a particular Rolex reference.

I travel enough to understand geopolitical privilege, and if the best I can ever do is own a few $4000-$6000 wristwatches , I'll be just fine. But make no mistake, just because someone owns and posts about Tudor, I can promise you that they still possess quite an affinity for the crown.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 01:10 PM   #47
ELLimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
While I'm sure a fair share of Tudor owners fit this humble demographic, other people buy Tudors because they simply aren't able to obtain or a afford a Rolex. It's the next best thing sorta speak.

How do I know this? Because I'm one of them. I LOVE my Pelagos, I admire the tooley submariner DNA it has and I was somewhat attracted to this brand purely because of it's association with Rolex. That being said, I have zero doubt that had a GMT been available at retail, I would have purchased that instead of the Tudor. Not because I want to look rich, but because, as a pilot, I've always aspired to own one.

I've been on a list for two years, and I know I won't get the call, and I'm cool with that. I have very respectable income, but I don't have the wealth to establish the kind of relationship that might catapult me to the top of one of the most desirable lists and I simply cannot justify gray market prices at this juncture of my life.

So although I "settled" for a Tudor, I don't regret the purchase in anyway. In some ways, I feel I have enjoyed it more than I would have had I stumbled across the Rolex. I wear the Tudor to work frequently. I accidently knock it against inevitable cockpit protrusions with regularity. I lightly toss it onto a hotel desk after a long day of flying, I don't have to go to great measures to hide it in my luggage when I head to the gym. I adore the Pelagos and would would buy another one in two seconds if they came out with a hulk version. I like it as much as my 300m and it actually keeps better time than my Omega.

So maybe it was ego or insecurity or whatever, but I, without reservation, admit that a large part of my purchase was based on my inability to acquire a particular Rolex reference.

I travel enough to understand geopolitical privilege, and if the best I can ever do is own a few $4000-$6000 wristwatches , I'll be just fine. But make no mistake, just because someone owns and posts about Tudor, I can promise you that they still possess quite an affinity for the crown.

Dude pay gray, be done with it. Rolex GMT is not imposible to get and gray prices are under 2x msrp. Never settle.

On the Tudor. Many Tudor owners are Rolex owners that have learned to appreciate the brand. Yes is true. Having the Rolex logo is what you want to show off.

If you go past your trauma, life will be more enjoyable.

Personally I like this more (customized by me). 12h GMT. Serves me better because I don’t have to convert from 24h to 12h.

Now this my favorite Rolex/Tudor.

Ps. Yep I’m a blue aficionado.
ELLimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 02:07 PM   #48
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGingerwood View Post
I think this is cool enough to be here .
Beautiful, love my BB steel too . Looks great .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 02:12 PM   #49
58junior
"TRF" Member

Tudor is a Rolex.
58junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 02:27 PM   #50
soho
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by casadecamporolex View Post
Never, ever considered a Tudor
To each their own but really feel like those who ignore Tudor are missing out. A few of mine from over the years.

soho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 06:02 PM   #51
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
test

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 06:02 PM   #52
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
You can’t beat a vintage Tudor sub
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 06:04 PM   #53
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Great watches Tudor

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 29 July 2021, 06:07 PM   #54
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by casadecamporolex View Post
Been a Rolex purist for decades. Never, ever considered a Tudor.
Yet, Tudor posts make up a small but visible New Threads.
Why not dedicate space purely for Tudor away from Rolex General Discussion?
Might I suggest you take off your Rolex blinkered glasses speaking for myself I appreciate all brands of mechanical watches and have owned most brands but my love of mechanical watches started with a Lucerne way back in the 1960s.But shorty after got into Rolex and Tudor and researched the history of both the brands but in todays Rolex world history has gone its now mainly investment this or that and £££$$$€€ . And with over 50 years of wearing and still learning about Tudor and Rolex brands, quality wise both brands are now mostly equal. But I still respect all mechanical watches from Chinese made Seagull, Seiko, Seiko Grand, plus the many others they all have there place in this watch world today.

The Tudor line go back to the 1920s then mainly sold in Canada and Europe, Rolex or Tudor watches were not sold then in the USA, it was very much later the the Rolex brand arrived for sale in the USA. Hans Wilsdorf from the RWC first opened Tudor watch to world wide production in 1946. And one of the main reasons why he chose the brand name Tudor, was that he wanted to pay tribute to the Tudor history period of old England.

The Tudor line prior to around 1990 was all Rolex except for movement, Tudor watches are made by Rolex. The major difference between a Tudor and a Rolex is that Rolex contracted the manufacturing of the movement out to a 3rd party manufacturer (ETA in 95% of them) but now some modern day Tudors do have a in-house made movement. Much like Rolex did with there chrongraphs before 2000 they used ETA Valjoux and Zenith movements. The ETA ebauche movements were made to Rolex's specifications and signed Tudor. This movement was then sent to Rolex where it was assembled into a watch with all Rolex remaining parts (Rolex case, bezel, strap or bracelet,dial, crystal and crown, seals, etc.). These parts are the same parts used in the Rolex line of watches up till around mid/late 1990s. The Tudor movements are high grade 17, 21, 25, or 26 jewel Automatic or Manual chronometer grade movements which when correctly cleaned, timed, and oiled, will keep time almost as well as any normal Rolex.

The case screw backs were engraved original oyster case by Rolex, on all the oyster models. In the gold or TT models Tudor uses genuine solid gold Rolex bezels and crown caps, but their bracelets are normally only gold filled, to reduce the cost while Rolex uses solid gold in their bracelets. The French Navy (among others) opted for the Tudor Submariner, instead of the Rolex Sub, the French Navy demanded rigorous testing and tested several brands These watches were tested to carefully calibrated abusive tests in an attempt to destroy them to see how much abuse it could take before losing accuracy or malfunctioning .After testing they choose the Tudor and the only thing the French navy didn't order was the Oyster bracelet. They chose a nylon strap because it would be much more easy to change, and easily replaced if broken.And today the only step down in quality with Tudor watches in general is the price. The the main difference between a Rolex Sub and say a Tudor Sub is they used a top range Chronometer grade ETA a first class all in-house built movement but not Rolex made, and in watches like the Tudor Prince they used a light Oyster bracelet, on Subs they used the heavy Oyster bracelet. Now today the Tudor line has quite a long high heritage with Hans Wilsdorf the founder of Rolex.

In today's market quite a few vintage Tudor watches command higher prices than there Rolex brothers same could be said for Rolex, many of the most collectible Rolex dont have a Rolex made movement but ones from ETA Valjoux and Zenith .The Tudor line are still made in the same now highly automated factory as Rolex. While now would agree the Aeronaut, Hydronaut range are not quite as good as the Oyster cased ones but its still very very close. Tudor are still a very important part of the Rolex history and are great watches in there own right. Today's modern Tudor have gone there own way now developed their own style and own in-house movements still owned by Rolex but now more individual and IMHO doing there own thing with many new models and not so stuck in the mud so much as Rolex.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 29 July 2021, 06:08 PM   #55
Andad

Watch: A few.
Great post Peter.

After 13 years on the Forum Louie did you expect anything less?

Why not PM The Boss and discuss it with him?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 06:28 PM   #56
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
I wear my Tudor whenever my Invicta needs a new battery.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 06:35 PM   #57
Swearengen
"TRF" Member

We need to add: Which Tudor is th best investment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slus View Post
If only us poor Tudor owners would try harder to fit in

Is it safe to wear my 500 meter rated Pelagos in the bath tub?

Will I be mugged on the spot when I step foot in any major city or foreign country with my Tudor?

I found a minuscule scratch on the back of my Black Bay lug, who do I sue?

Do I need to send my SA flowers and chocolates the next day to get my new Tudor, or is the weekly dinner date enough?

Should I buy this Tudor that I don't like, because someone else does like it and will buy it if I don't? Should I not wear the watch I don't like so it doesn't ruin future value just to be safe?

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 17000 16613 17013

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 1016
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 06:50 PM   #58
ELLimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swearengen View Post

All jokes aside… Tudor blue Montecarlo.

ELLimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 06:52 PM   #59
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swearengen View Post
North Flag.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 07:00 PM   #60
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
I love it Gary
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags