The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 17 September 2009, 12:49 PM   #61
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

I like their understated class and clean looks. I have a Speedy Pro 145.022, a Speedy MK II, a quartz SM Professional from the late 60's, a gold manual wind looks like a Geneva but isn't, and my latest, a SS tank two hand dress watch from the mid 60's. All keep great time and don't scream "Look at me!!!"
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2009, 01:21 PM   #62
02transam

looks........duh. ;-)
02transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2009, 10:58 PM   #63
DWdrummer
Banned

I really like Omega watches. I believe they are every bit as well built and historical as Rolex. Of course I prefer Rolex, but only in a very slight way.

The Speedmaster in all incarnations is an incredible and iconic timepiece.
The Seamasters and the newer Planet Oceans are beautiful. The Co-Axial movement is a VERY good movement by all accounts I have heard and read.

I will get a 42mm PO at some point Im sure. Right now Im working toward my first Rolex, a GMT II Coke model from the 1980's. After that its either going to be the newer GMT IIc or the Speedy or Planet Ocean. With Omega resale value being sadly low, I could probably get the Speedy and PO used and have money left over for what a GMT IIc will cost me. Makes you wonder really..

I do LOVE Rolex. BUT I do not feel for one moment they are 2-3x BETTER than Omega, if you go by the prices they command. I believe Omega walks all over Rolex for value for the dollar and bracelet construction. Im not impressed with Rolex sport model bracelets, for the price ranges they sell in, the bracelets feel cheap to me. Though they "work" and have for longer than I have been alive.
DWdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2009, 11:22 PM   #64
stek

I agree with the sentiments of most Omega owners - the first "branded" watch i rewarded myself was the Speedmaster Pro moonphase and to this day, is the watch that i rely on the most, although it is slowly being elipsed by the GMTIIc, which i just acquired recently. In a way, i really pity this brand because the watches are so well made and priced reasonably but it doesn't quite catch on as well as Rolex. Omega has such a rich heritage, was a Bond watch and emulated most of Rolex's strategy of getting brand ambassadors, increasing price every year and nice expensive boutiques. But yet, when you put an Omega out for sale, the prices are so dismal. No one even bothers to ask for a look when you put one on your wrist. Then again, we didn't buy an Omega for those reasons, do we?
stek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2009, 01:32 AM   #65
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Value.

I wanted a quality Swiss Automatic Diving watch, and in 2000, I couldn't justify purchasing a Submariner, so the SMP was the obvious choice that adorned my wrist almost exclusively for the next 7.5 years.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2009, 02:06 AM   #66
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
My fathers wears Omega and I remember it was a big deal when he aquired his Omega in the late 70's. For that reson I was aware of the brand as one of the best watches that could be bought for a reasonably large but not absurd sum of money.

After an infatuation with Rolex ( I bought a Sub and a DJ, both great watches) I am coming around to the tradition and sobriety of the Omega brand and bought a Seamaster Pro. I am also eyeing the Aqua Terra.

"sobriety" is perhaps the wrong word as today's Omegas are innovatively designed and many are stunning - on the whole they have less bling than Rolex, seem more classically designed and proportioned and altogether more "solid".

Omega seem to be in the position that Rolex were in in the late 70's or early 80's - before the brand realy took of and became a phenomenon, a process that has resulted in today's unsatisfactory Rolex line up. Omega today realy has a buzz about it as a brand and that's pretty attractive and exciting.
Old 25 September 2009, 07:44 PM   #67
derekloimer

My Dad had an Omega Seamaster bought in 1960, which I now have. I have an Omega Aqua Terra Quartz.

The Omega Aqua Terra compares very favorably with the Rolex and costs a lot less.
derekloimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2009, 07:45 PM   #68
derekloimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
My fathers wears Omega and I remember it was a big deal when he aquired his Omega in the late 70's. For that reson I was aware of the brand as one of the best watches that could be bought for a reasonably large but not absurd sum of money.

After an infatuation with Rolex ( I bought a Sub and a DJ, both great watches) I am coming around to the tradition and sobriety of the Omega brand and bought a Seamaster Pro. I am also eyeing the Aqua Terra.

"sobriety" is perhaps the wrong word as today's Omegas are innovatively designed and many are stunning - on the whole they have less bling than Rolex, seem more classically designed and proportioned and altogether more "solid".

Omega seem to be in the position that Rolex were in in the late 70's or early 80's - before the brand realy took of and became a phenomenon, a process that has resulted in today's unsatisfactory Rolex line up. Omega today realy has a buzz about it as a brand and that's pretty attractive and exciting.
I love my Aqua Terra but I would have bought the Co-Axial if I had my time again. They are a great watch
derekloimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2009, 10:40 PM   #69
rkammer
"TRF" Member

Not much I can add to all the other comments. I own two Seamaster Pros and they are my favorites. I also own a Rolex Sea Dweller and the only reason I spent the money for that watch is because the sale of my 45 year old Tudor produced enough cash to buy the Rolex with almost no cash out of pocket. It is also becoming one of my favorites. But, I doubt it will overtake my Omegas.
Old 26 September 2009, 10:44 PM   #70
ronin7

Watch: green submariner
i was attracted by the heritage and sober looks.also i feel the brand offers great value for money.over the years i have owned five omegas.never any complaints.traded in my po and speedy/date to purchase a pam112.i really wish now i hadnt done that. my father gave me his seamaster back in 87 which i ended up losing!never forgot what an amazing watch it was. the first proper watch i purchased was my seamaster pro in 2002.omega is a brand which will aways have a special place in my heart.
ronin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2009, 02:40 AM   #71
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
how is the resell value on Omegas? any one know?
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2009, 07:48 AM   #72
rkammer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc324 View Post
how is the resell value on Omegas? any one know?
Well, since I've been doing some price shopping lately for Omegas and Rolexes I'll give you some generalities. Keep in mind though, that prices will be very dependent on age, condition, provenance, included items, etc.

I find that a three year old F or D series Rolex Sub Date that currently lists for $6000 will sell in the $3500 ballpark in excellent condition with box and papers. (or about 60% of current MSRP)

A 3 year old Omega SMP 2254.50 that listed for $2300 before being discontinued a few months ago will sell in the $1300 range with box and papers. (about 56% of MSRP).

Using the SMP coaxial as an example, a Planet Ocean that currently lists for $3400 (?) can currently be bought used for just over $2000. (59% of MSRP)

So depending on how much one pays for an Omega, it may bring a better return based on dollars paid than the Rolex since one can expect a bigger discount on an Omega than on a Rolex. Perhaps a Rolex fan might have different opinions so, let the flames begin.
Old 29 September 2009, 08:00 AM   #73
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Thank you for your input
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2009, 08:38 AM   #74
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkammer View Post
Well, since I've been doing some price shopping lately for Omegas and Rolexes I'll give you some generalities. Keep in mind though, that prices will be very dependent on age, condition, provenance, included items, etc.

I find that a three year old F or D series Rolex Sub Date that currently lists for $6000 will sell in the $3500 ballpark in excellent condition with box and papers. (or about 60% of current MSRP)

A 3 year old Omega SMP 2254.50 that listed for $2300 before being discontinued a few months ago will sell in the $1300 range with box and papers. (about 56% of MSRP).

Using the SMP coaxial as an example, a Planet Ocean that currently lists for $3400 (?) can currently be bought used for just over $2000. (59% of MSRP)

So depending on how much one pays for an Omega, it may bring a better return based on dollars paid than the Rolex since one can expect a bigger discount on an Omega than on a Rolex. Perhaps a Rolex fan might have different opinions so, let the flames begin.

Yeah, that is about right. Of course it all depends too. In Canada there seems to be far less good deals on Rolex watches in the preowned market. Selling any watch you buy new (short term) even if in great shape will give you about $1,500.00 - $2,000.00 CAD or more depreciation hit based on the current prices. Considering both are bought on discount of about 20% the lower price tag watches would end up showing a higher percentage lost. Again though, it can depend a lot on the area too. I've herd on other Omega forums that in Italy the prices of preowned Speedmasters are VERY close to new and makes no sense looking for used. Kind of like the Rolex market in Toronto unless you find the odd good deal direct from seller
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2009, 08:16 AM   #75
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macstiltskin View Post
I went shopping for a Rolex and came home with this, which cost half the price.
Exact thing happened to me. Now we have three. Or is it four. Omega is more rare, more stylish and has a more significant history.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1981.jpg (28.6 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4339.jpg (20.4 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0838.jpg (44.1 KB, 160 views)
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2009, 09:26 AM   #76
wehttaM
"TRF" Member

I chose Omega because I found the design appealing. I like to have a variety of brands, and apparently Omega, is a must have for ALL collectors, no matter what age or size. Acquiring an Omega is a huge achievement for any watch collector.
wehttaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2009, 04:52 AM   #77
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehttaM View Post
I chose Omega because I found the design appealing. I like to have a variety of brands, and apparently Omega, is a must have for ALL collectors, no matter what age or size. Acquiring an Omega is a huge achievement for any watch collector.

Well said, Matt
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2009, 10:44 AM   #78
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Omega is a fine company with a great history. Their sales are almost the same as Rolex, so I don't think you can accurately call them rare. They make a high quality, well designed watch.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2009, 06:27 AM   #79
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Not much else can be said, but my first mechanical was Omega reference 2055.80.00, and it has been a great watch for me. Omega does represent a better value than the (some would claim) overpriced Rolex pieces, and you do get a lot of bang for your buck. Resale value is an issue.

There are many Omega models that I admire, and some don't work for me at all (the same can be said about Rolex). The PO's are nice, but I cannot past that gaudy orange bezel and those awful broad arrow hands. How anyone can claim that is subtle is beyond me.

But the AT's are great and the Seamaster line in general continues to appeal to me. I'll likely be picking up examples of both in the future. I really love the clean lines of the Aqua Terra.

I will always love Rolex watches. The just "do it" for me, but Omega's will always have a place in my collection.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2009, 01:57 PM   #80
lavaman
Banned

Watch: what happens next
thanks for all the replies!
lavaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 08:55 AM   #81
Blueoctopus007
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 16600
A bit of bragging - invited to the London launch last Thursday at the Armada Club with Cindy Crawford, and a load of celebs.

Met the OMEGA president Stephen Urquhar and asked to see what watch he was wearing.

A really good evening.

DAYTONA SS 116520 V SERIES

SEA-DWELLER 16600 V SERIES
Blueoctopus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 03:46 PM   #82
pz93c
"TRF" Member

Their vintage pieces are where the value is.

A world class movement and timeless style for a mere pittance.
pz93c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2009, 11:28 AM   #83
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I love my Rolex but when I get up in the morning I reach for my Omega - now what's with that?

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2009, 12:04 PM   #84
chriseskew24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bunches
Omega dose have a good bit of history. And I would have to say I probably see 100+ Rolex's by me to maybe 1 Omega.. Of course going 10 miles on I95 you will see 20 Rolex billboards.. I love both brands but IMHO Rolex really was able to drive home the it factor much better then Omega was able to.. Lets be honest other then wis who really knows or cares about either brands history..
Rolex was able to corner the market with a direct connection to class and prestige IMHO when people see a Rolex on your wrist the think hmm I wonder what he dose for a living and that is just the way it is.. Of course when they see one on my wrist they think I wonder what NYC corner guy did he buy that from..
Back to the point Rolex advertisement's put them ahead of the game... But on every other level Omega and Rolex are neck and neck yes Rolex has had the in house movements for much much longer then Omega but at the end of the day Omegas heavily modified mvts are no slouch with there own COSC specs. Plus there co axial mvt probably just put them a step ahead fit and finish are on par. And then the dive bracelet well Rolex is just now catching up in that area. Value for money no compaerson.. Both great brands I love them both and belive them to be pretty equal on most levels..
chriseskew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2009, 11:17 PM   #85
audifred

Watch: Omega Seamaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavaman View Post
A question:

Why did you choose Omega? They are rather rare (I often go weeks w/o seeing one, and I live in a big city). Most people dont -appear- to know much about them, though the ads seem to be fairly common. Just curious why you chose one?

I love that they are different. To me, wearing one is like driving a Morgan: Those who know, know. Those who don't, stare.

Just curious.....
Thanks for directing me to your thread lavaman.

I am finding it hard to sleep knowing that in about 10 hours I will be purchasing my first Omega.

I agree with your statement about staring at an Omega....I stared (and examined 4 of them at our staff Christmas party last week.

However, I can also state that I have driven a Morgan.....and it was not the most pleasant experience! I was totally clueless about the use of the choke, and no power steering made the car very "heavy" (if you know what I mean).

Thanks to the Christmas party last weekend the choice to buy Omega became an easy one. Beautiful watches.....and great conversation amongst people with a passion for their watch of choice.
audifred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2009, 12:14 AM   #86
chriseskew24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bunches
Quote:
Originally Posted by audifred View Post
Thanks for directing me to your thread lavaman.

I am finding it hard to sleep knowing that in about 10 hours I will be purchasing my first Omega.

I agree with your statement about staring at an Omega....I stared (and examined 4 of them at our staff Christmas party last week.

However, I can also state that I have driven a Morgan.....and it was not the most pleasant experience! I was totally clueless about the use of the choke, and no power steering made the car very "heavy" (if you know what I mean).

Thanks to the Christmas party last weekend the choice to buy Omega became an easy one. Beautiful watches.....and great conversation amongst people with a passion for their watch of choice.
Cant go rong with Omega.. Congrats on your soon purchase. And welcome to the forum..
chriseskew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2009, 05:35 AM   #87
KarlFr
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Omegas are great watches, had and sold both speedmaster moon and bond seamaster but kept this one.. the perfect watch for sports...

KarlFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2009, 07:46 AM   #88
lavaman
Banned

Watch: what happens next
Well automotively speaking, as a Dad I am obliged to buy the BMW 5 (my 2nd one. love 'em!). But.... since it is just my son and i, BOXSTER is calling me. So, um, I like Morgans!

Congrats on the purchase. I am kind of a small guy, so anything more than an intermediate size speedy is out of reach for me. Just as well, or there would be no end in sight to my watch purchases.
lavaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2009, 11:43 AM   #89
AWS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlFr View Post
Omegas are great watches, had and sold both speedmaster moon and bond seamaster but kept this one.. the perfect watch for sports...

Karl - love the look of the Omega, what is the model #?
AWS is offline   Reply With Quote