The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 26 March 2011, 03:35 AM   #61
Ken Cox
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
From a an extraordinarily thorough and detailed review of the Rolex 3135 movement:

"there still aren’t too many challengers to the Rolex triple crown of accuracy, reliability and durability – i.e. its toughness – for example, its ability to withstand the abuse of everyday life that most active people, both men and women, would hurl at it, and still keep on ticking. And not just keep on ticking, but to continue doing so accurately too. The only ones that come to mind are the ETA 2892-2A, the ETA 7750 (including their numerous variations and incarnations) and possibly Omega’s new caliber 8500. But unlike the first two movements, the latter one, notwithstanding the fact that it is their 3rd generation of Dr. George Daniel’s co-axial escapement, doesn’t have the advantage of over 20 years worth of use, abuse and refinement, so it’s still an open question as to its long term reliability.

Of these three movements which one do I like the best?

As for me, please keep in mind that no movement is perfect and that they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Having said that though there is absolutely no question in my mind, that I prefer the ETA 2892-2A over the other two. Okay, so it’s been around almost half a century and in many ways isn’t as sophisticated as the Rolex – no Breguet hairspring, or Parachrom hairspring material etc – but during its long lifetime in its best available chronometer version, it has proven itself to be an exceptionally accurate, reliable and tough movement.
"

http://www.chronometrie.com/rolex3135/rolex3135.html
Ken Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2011, 06:50 AM   #62
oldbronco

Watch: Ranger
since Omega has gone to boutique stores, forget about a discount. wait a year or so, & buy LNIB.
oldbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2011, 08:49 AM   #63
davida
Banned

Watch: White SS Daytona
This watch just doesnt float my boat.
davida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2011, 10:59 AM   #64
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
From this month's Watch Time article on the Seamaster Aqua Terra 8500 ( probably more objective than fanboy Holbrooke)....

" Although the watch's exterior is attractive, the real fireworks are inside: its movement ranks among the best that contemporary watchmaking has to offer. Caliber 8500 is an ideal base movement--well constructed, efficient, beautifully decorated and read to accept added modules.

Omega treads new ground here in many respects. A coating of DLC ensures that the two serially arranged barrels function almost without wear. The rotor transfers winding energy in both is directions of rotation. The self winding mechanism works silently and with a high degree of efficiency thanks to its newly designed train of reserver gears and its ceramic bearings. Innovative teeth and special lubricants minimize friction throughout the gear train. Omega's own coaxial escapement functions with extraordinary precision in caliber 8500....

The many technical innovations incorporated into caliber 8500 give it greater resistance against wear and increase the longevity of its components. "
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2011, 11:52 AM   #65
mondodec
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Connies
The Holbrook article is well recognised as opinion and not expert commentary, of which he is entitled to express. The have been numerous articles in the professional press that have fairly and impartially examined the 8500 series, without the huff and puff spawned by blind loyalty to one brand or another, and they have generally lauded its design and features. Go look for one that doesn't.

Alluding to evidence that is not there and then waving the Holbrook article in the air as technical support for your view is a pretty cheap trick, as is your riposte to demand counter evidence relating to the 8500. You made several inflammatory statements, and if you can't put up, then you should shut up.

Every movement design represents a series of technical compromises, and that includes Rolex. I greatly admire Rolex movements, and, of course, they contain compromises too, but this is the OMEGA forum and perhaps one should consider carefully before blowing too much hyperbole out of one's fundamental orifice if you don't wish to be labelled a troll.

Cheers

Desmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
mondodec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2011, 02:17 PM   #66
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
YES. And, that's from an owner of a SeaDweller and Explorer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondodec View Post
The Holbrook article is well recognised as opinion and not expert commentary, of which he is entitled to express. The have been numerous articles in the professional press that have fairly and impartially examined the 8500 series, without the huff and puff spawned by blind loyalty to one brand or another, and they have generally lauded its design and features. Go look for one that doesn't.

Alluding to evidence that is not there and then waving the Holbrook article in the air as technical support for your view is a pretty cheap trick, as is your riposte to demand counter evidence relating to the 8500. You made several inflammatory statements, and if you can't put up, then you should shut up.

Every movement design represents a series of technical compromises, and that includes Rolex. I greatly admire Rolex movements, and, of course, they contain compromises too, but this is the OMEGA forum and perhaps one should consider carefully before blowing too much hyperbole out of one's fundamental orifice if you don't wish to be labelled a troll.

Cheers

Desmond
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2011, 04:06 PM   #67
RanHong
"TRF" Member

I personally would choose the new PO over subc in a heartbeat :)) in fact I have already called my omega dealer, can't wait to see it in metal.
RanHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2011, 09:42 PM   #68
favonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanHong View Post
I personally would choose the new PO over subc in a heartbeat :)) in fact I have already called my omega dealer, can't wait to see it in metal.
I've just done the same actually
favonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2011, 11:02 PM   #69
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

In my experience the current PO trumps the Rolex in the accuracy dept. I would think the new movement will as well. Look at the accuracy post on the Omega forums and you will see many PO accuracy +or- 1 second in weeks or months time.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2011, 11:46 PM   #70
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Look at the accuracy post on the Omega forums and you will see many PO accuracy +or- 1 second in weeks or months time.
How is that any different than here? The newer 21st century models with their tweaked movements have fueled many a similar Rolex post.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2011, 02:22 AM   #71
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

If there is to be a 42mm black LM...then I have to ask again..

How will it differ from the Limited edition?

Doesn't seem so limited when brought into mass production...

Don't see why they couldn't do Orange LM if they can do blue..

You'd think any color is possible, infact unless I misunderstand the way they lay the LM, they should be able to conquer the Bicolored bezel conundrum..
SUPERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2011, 01:06 PM   #72
watchf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Not to forget better lume.

I think they'll price it just under the Sub-C, that's where it will do the most damage.
Just under would be in the $6 to $7k range which is about double what the current PO cost... TBH I'm not sure I would pay that much for it. I had an interest in the AT chrono with the teck grey dial but the price was simply too much for it.
watchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2011, 01:32 AM   #73
TopNotchChach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
very nice.

Time to purchase a current one or wait a little while to get one for lesser.

hmmm.. when i first started looking at these planet oceans, the band looked like leather. its really rubber...

soo.. is this a rubber strap?
TopNotchChach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2011, 08:04 AM   #74
Ken Cox
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Yes, it has a rubber strap.

I have seen several pictures of it now with a metal bracelet, as well.

I like the rubber strap, though, and I wonder if it has a deployant buckle.

As for competing with Rolex, Omega has made a watch at least the equal of, if not superior to, the Rolex Sub.

However, getting the PO LM Ti 8500 priced in Rolex territory, and still selling watches, will take several years of very careful marketing strategy.

Omega has its work cut out for it.
Ken Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2011, 08:44 AM   #75
favonian

Actually after looking at more pictures of the new PO range it seems the chrono will be larger than a panerai (small size car) and nothing smaller and the titanium non-chrono one probably more expensive or eqivalent to a SubC.
And to be honest guys, spending that amount on a ROlex is a no brainer but this is an Omeeega swatch company watch ... so no thanks...
A rolex is a rolex is a rolex...
favonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2011, 12:30 PM   #76
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

It's good that Omega is giving Rolex some serious competition. It's a better watch for less money, but we paid extra just for the Rolex name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp5ob...eature=related

I owe both Rolex and Omega, btw.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2011, 12:42 PM   #77
wokafu
"TRF" Member

Watch: SM300+14060M
looks great to me...cant wait for the metal bracelet...
wokafu is offline   Reply With Quote