The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 July 2018, 12:19 AM   #1
ramonesf2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Lange
Terrible Boutique Experience

I just wanted to let you all know of my first and last experience with a Panerai Boutique. On Wednesday I called all of the US Boutiques in search of a PAM911. I knew they most likely would not have any and be sold out. I called every single one and to my disbelief, a Florida Boutique had one. I confirmed it was a 911, they sent me photos with the LE number, I send them my credit card, and they charged me. They said they would ship it out next week.

Since I don't have unlimited money, I went ahead and sold one of my watches to make room for the new Panerai. So I sold my Sub yesterday (Thursday).

This morning (Friday), I received a call from the Boutique saying that they can no longer sell me the watch and that they would have to refund me. The sales woman said her Manager had previously sold the watch to another customer, it was already paid for by the other customer, and he picked it up yesterday (Thursday). They didn't even call me to tell me until today (Friday).

How does this happen. If the other customer already paid for it, why did the system let me buy it? How is there no communication, especially on a limited, in-demand piece? Why did they wait over a day to tell me? If they told me yesterday when the other customer apparently picked it up, I'd still have my Sub.

I could go on about the events that actually transpired that they couldn't sell me the watch. Another "bigger" customer decided they wanted it, the manager didn't want to sell it to me as a first time customer, etc. Doesn't matter. I'm royally pissed off. Now I don't have the PAM, and I'm out a Sub, which are not easy to get back these days.

Sorry for venting, but figured you guys should all know.
ramonesf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 12:29 AM   #2
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Never sell a Rolex for a Panerai
Old 14 July 2018, 12:50 AM   #3
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

I am sorry for your experience and hate to say it..its not uncommon...

I am a long time Panerai fan and have worked with a few boutiques...for the last 10 years...
The 911 is the first SE that got the panerai collecting crew active again after a long while...

I reserved one and was allocated on from a boutique. I emailed them saying that I was travelling for work and I will call and close the deal on my return (1.5 week).
This happened to coincide with end of a financial quarter.
I got an email Thursday (day before end of quarter) stating that I need to close ASAP and to contact the boutique. Friday morning I called and was told at the end of Thursday, they had sold the watch to close the quarter.
I made sure they know I was upset.
Richemont's corporate pressure to make numbers for the investors makes the sales staff do stupid things.

sorry for your experience...
Old 15 July 2018, 12:38 AM   #4
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

That's not cool at all. When it comes to this type of purchase and transaction, attention to detail is important and obviously this AD failed you in this department. The PAM 911 is a really interesting piece and one of the better special editions they've done in a long time. Half the time I can't figure out why Panerai does the things it does and other times they get it perfect. It's a shame it cost you a Submariner with nothing to show for it.

If you were willing to part with the Submariner, perhaps the piece didn't really do it for you anyway. I'd press this particular boutique to owe you a future favor. You might have a sour taste in your mouth right now, but I'd try and leverage this defeat into a small victory.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 05:14 AM   #5
Pattyb69
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR|LVC|PAM 911
Oh good. Now the chances of me running into someone in CT with a 911 will be even less! (Sorry, Nick)
Pattyb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 05:26 AM   #6
nick c
Banned

That’s crazy, now no Rolex and no Panerai. I would call them again and give them hell.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 09:35 AM   #7
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Been there, similar situations where I sell to fund a purchase that does not materialize.

I learned that if I can't buy outright I don't even consider it, most of the time what I do is buy and then sell something.
Old 15 July 2018, 10:59 PM   #8
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
yeah shit happens. bought a 911 and sold it a few days after receiving it....the green didn’t do it for me.

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 07:59 AM   #9
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Sorry this had happened to you bud. Maybe you can source one in secondary market cheaper later. Good luck with your search
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 08:07 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
That’s pretty poor sorry to hear.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 03:47 PM   #11
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
Never sell a Rolex for a Panerai
I love Panerai and I've been known to get a little shirty when someone bashes the brand, but it's hard to argue with this. That is, of course, unless you're selling something like a DJ to fund a PAM.

Very poor show indeed by the boutique in Florida. Sorry to hear and I hope you source one or the other real soon. Good luck

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 01:27 PM   #12
thakillak
"TRF" Member

That’s horrible to hear. It’s unfortunate that Richemont is so much about chasing $ than providing amazing customer service.
thakillak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 02:37 AM   #13
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
That's unfortunate to hear.. but It does happen from what I've heard to many brands, not just Panerai
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 09:10 AM   #14
ramonesf2
"TRF" Member

This story may have a happy ending. Almost two months after this experience and talking to Panerai US Customer Service, a lot of back and forth between corporate, the boutique, and myself, Panerai magically made another 911 appear out of thin air. Not sure what happened behind the scenes, but my PAM911 is on a FedEx truck somewhere and should be here in the morning.
Old 18 September 2018, 09:16 AM   #15
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonesf2 View Post
This story may have a happy ending. Almost two months after this experience and talking to Panerai US Customer Service, a lot of back and forth between corporate, the boutique, and myself, Panerai magically made another 911 appear out of thin air. Not sure what happened behind the scenes, but my PAM911 is on a FedEx truck somewhere and should be here in the morning.

Amazing can't wait to see it! Congratulations
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 01:25 PM   #16
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Quote:
alls well that ends well

congrats

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 09:14 PM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Good to hear Nick
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 12:06 AM   #18
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Picture of new watch?
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 01:41 AM   #19
ramonesf2
"TRF" Member

Just posted a pic on my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn31ir-n...by=wwcwatchfam
Old 19 September 2018, 10:52 AM   #20
c.rod
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow! At least they stepped up and it got resolved. Squeaky wheel gets the grease as they say.

Side note. I just noticed one that looks just like yours pop up in the for sale section ??

Just joking!!
c.rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 11:45 AM   #21
nick c
Banned

Great ending
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 12:06 PM   #22
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Terrible Boutique Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I'd press this particular boutique to owe you a future favor. You might have a sour taste in your mouth right now, but I'd try and leverage this defeat into a small victory.
*** just noticed that they sorted it for you. Glad to hear it!!!

Sorry to hear, OP... I would be royally pissed. Though, this above is sound advice. This is in a way, an opportunity. Let them know that you are pissed, cordial but firm, and give them an opportunity to make it right.

If they are good people, they will work with you. If not, they don’t deserve your money. Nor, the money of any of your friends after you tell them about the terrible experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 12:16 PM   #23
psv
"TRF" Member

Well deserved watch. I would have, like you, been furious but I'm glad it is working out for ya'
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 04:14 PM   #24
SearChart
TechXpert

Congrats!
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 07:55 PM   #25
Melvin_arnold
"TRF" Member

Watch: TV
Congrats, it looks stunning !
Glad it all ended well.
Melvin_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 04:59 PM   #26
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Glad you got your watch.
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 05:12 PM   #27
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
They read TRF.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2018, 06:36 PM   #28
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Congrats on your “Paneristi” watch...you should know that there are many people out there with Boutique history that didn’t get one and they wanted one, so you are very lucky...well, sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good!

Did you ever hear the expression “don’t count your chickens before they hatch?” Well, it looks like you did so twice!!

I apologise but it all sounds a little entitled to me. Very nice of OP to step up and come through for you. Now we can listen to someone else complain that they didn’t get one because you got their 911!! ;)
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote