The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 January 2018, 04:01 PM   #1
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Does warranty card absolutely have to be in your name?

Hey guys. This answer may have been given before.

But I just picked up a 2 month old 114060. It has the previous owners name on the card.

If I need to send it in for any issues, will I have a problem since my name isn’t on the card?

Appreciate your responses

Thanks

Andre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 04:05 PM   #2
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
No. The warranty follows the watch not the owner. No issues if your name is not on the card
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 04:06 PM   #3
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

It does not. White it out and write Mickey Mouse. You'd get the same warranty.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 04:08 PM   #4
RollieRoll
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
It does not. White it out and write Mickey Mouse. You'd get the same warranty.
Just FYI, sensui is joking about using white out or making any marks whatsoever on the warranty card. If you make any changes to the card, then your warranty will be void.
Cobgrats
RollieRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 04:09 PM   #5
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Awesome thank you

Old 10 January 2018, 04:09 PM   #6
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieRoll View Post
Just FYI, sensui is joking about using white out or making any marks whatsoever on the warranty card. If you make any changes to the card, then your warranty will be void.
Cobgrats

Good to know!

Old 10 January 2018, 04:20 PM   #7
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Cobgrats
Thanks for clarifying...I actually didn't know that hah. I know the watch is registered with Rolex's database when it leaves the AD...swiped like a credit card. Had no idea messing with name field can affect warranty. Since that's all they're verifying. Good to know.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 04:31 PM   #8
bobby81
"TRF" Member

No it doesn't matter who's name is on the Warranty Card. I buy my Watches from a Grey Dealer in the north of England & the Rolexes they supply always has someone else's name on the Warranty Card & I was over in the Rolex AD in my Country & I asked them the same question & was told it didn't matter who's name was on the Card as long as it was fully filled out with the name of the AD that it came from & was dated. The Warranty Card is swiped at the AD it was bought from & as long as all that was done it will be honoured in any Rolex Service Centre
bobby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 05:57 PM   #9
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
Cobgrats
Wrong. Any RSC I use does not even require the card. They run the serial to find out the in service date (purchase date) and then see if there is warranty left.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 06:28 PM   #10
pblondon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
Wrong. Any RSC I use does not even require the card. They run the serial to find out the in service date (purchase date) and then see if there is warranty left.
Same here. The London RSC didn't need to see my warranty card when I took my D500 for in repair. They know everything they need to from the serial number.
Old 10 January 2018, 07:08 PM   #11
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Absolutely not.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 08:08 PM   #12
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
The last two Rolex I bought BNIB were from Tony ( JustRolex ) and Bic Camera a grey dealer here. Both had dated but unsigned or blank warranty cards. 5 year warranties.

If I was to need to take it to the RSC for something should I write my name in or is blank ok?
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 08:16 PM   #13
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Simple answer is NO , makes absolutely no difference whatsoever .
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 09:01 PM   #14
mfnj
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
The last two Rolex I bought BNIB were from Tony ( JustRolex ) and Bic Camera a grey dealer here. Both had dated but unsigned or blank warranty cards. 5 year warranties.

If I was to need to take it to the RSC for something should I write my name in or is blank ok?
The presumption is that the dealer from whom the watch was originally obtained actually activated the card/warranty by sliding this through the device they use. I have seen AD’s do this in person but how does one know if this actually transpired when purchasing a new watch from any of the “trusted sellers” or anyone else for that matter without checking directly with Rolex to see if the serial number was activated?
mfnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 09:03 PM   #15
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfnj View Post
The presumption is that the dealer from whom the watch was originally obtained actually activated the card/warranty by sliding this through the device they use. I have seen AD’s do this in person but how does one know if this actually transpired when purchasing a new watch from any of the “trusted sellers” or anyone else for that matter without checking directly with Rolex to see if the serial number was activated?
Good point. I wonder.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 10:02 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Same as RSC Toronto
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 10:38 PM   #17
77T

Does warranty card absolutely have to be in your name?

Your experience with a warranty issue will be more affected by the Rolex policies in force at some time in the future. Don’t know your country (TRF profile says “ - “).

But let’s say you walk into a local AD with a Rolex whose Country Code is different than their nation and yours, and you show a card with someone else’s name. It has happened in the past where an AD’s policy is to see some proof of ownership. So in that situation you’d be at a disadvantage.

Perhaps just leave the card at home and the question never comes up.

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 10:53 PM   #18
tng11
"TRF" Member

The warranty is with the watch, not the person.

That said, I've heard RSC Toronto can be difficult to deal with if the name doesn't match - they may ask you to "re-register" the watch for a cost of $175 (?) according to a few anecdotes through CWC. Stick to your guns and refuse. Failing that, just send it in via an AD and you will have no issues.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2018, 11:25 PM   #19
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfnj View Post
Because the AD activates the warranty before selling to trusted seller.

So no. You do not get a full 5 years from the date purchased from a TS. You might get 4 years 6 months for example depending how long the TS had watch in stock.
aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 02:30 AM   #20
RollieRoll
Banned

Quote:
Steve, your post and your experience doesn't make my post "wrong." You should try to see what happens when you mess with the warranty card by the signature and date; I believe there is a four letter word that will reveal itself. Also, the RSC I have used has requested the warranty card, but a picture of it sufficed.
Old 11 January 2018, 02:59 AM   #21
RollieRoll
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatimerfla View Post
Because the AD activates the warranty before selling to trusted seller.

So no. You do not get a full 5 years from the date purchased from a TS. You might get 4 years 6 months for example depending how long the TS had watch in stock.
This....and the date it was swiped by the AD; I believe that's dispositive, not the handwritten date on the card, although the two should be consistent based on directions by reps to ADs, I believe: stamp, swipe, name and date at the time of sale (although some don't name, and some, although very few, don't even date from what I've heard)
Old 11 January 2018, 03:46 AM   #22
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Steve, your post and your experience doesn't make my post "wrong." You should try to see what happens when you mess with the warranty card by the signature and date; I believe there is a four letter word that will reveal itself. Also, the RSC I have used has requested the warranty card, but a picture of it sufficed.
The card does not need to be presented at every RSC that I have ever dealt with. As soon as they run the serial number they have all the information they need.

There is no input from the AD’s side in to the system to include a Buyer’s name only the inservice date (sell date).

No sure what RSC you have used but that isn’t the norm here in Asia or Canada.

The card means absolutely nothing in terms of information unless the watch was never registered as sold. If that is the case the AD would be easily traced by the number and would have some explaining to do.

So I stand by my original response as wrong.

I can assure you that my relationship with multiple ADs and RSCs instils my absolute confidence in that response.
Old 11 January 2018, 04:21 AM   #23
RollieRoll
Banned

Quote:
The card does not need to be presented at every RSC that I have ever dealt with. As soon as they run the serial number they have all the information they need.

There is no input from the AD’s side in to the system to include a Buyer’s name only the inservice date (sell date).

No sure what RSC you have used but that isn’t the norm here in Asia or Canada.

The card means absolutely nothing in terms of information unless the watch was never registered as sold. If that is the case the AD would be easily traced by the number and would have some explaining to do.

So I stand by my original response as wrong.

I can assure you that my relationship with multiple ADs and RSCs instils my absolute confidence in that response.
"So I stand by my original response as wrong"

I agree with this part. Just kidding. Have a good one, Muzz.
Old 11 January 2018, 04:21 AM   #24
slate1234
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2 LN
Got my watch from a grey in England and telephoned RSC uk they told me there was no problem
slate1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 04:32 AM   #25
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
"So I stand by my original response as wrong"

I agree with this part. Just kidding. Have a good one, Muzz.
Have an awesome day!!!

Weekend is right around the corner
Old 11 January 2018, 04:35 AM   #26
ZOOK
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slate1234 View Post
Got my watch from a grey in England and telephoned RSC uk they told me there was no problem
Ring, Ring, Ring...

"Hello, Thank you for calling Rolex Service. Because of high call volume your call may be answered after your warranty has expired. Please stay on the line and your call will be answered...."

Don't everyone that purchased a watch from a grey call RSC right now.
ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 01:49 PM   #27
masterdinh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610-LV
Don’t even need the card.

116710 BLNR, 326934 Black
PAM 24
masterdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 02:34 PM   #28
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Here we go again...

Ok here goes...

This has been my experience at RSC NY as recently as 7 months ago. Multiple RSC reps told me in person on numerous occasions that a warranty card that originates outside of the US, requires a bill or sale, signed by the same person named on the card.

Don’t get crazy folks. I’m not happy about this nor does it bring me any pleasure to share this experience. Just passing along the info.

In dec 2014 I bought a Like New LVC from a trusted seller. Turned out there was a spot on the inside of crystal. I brought it in to RSC, showed them the spot. They asked for the bill of sale, told them I didn’t have one and was denied service under warranty.

Again, this is just my experience.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 02:39 PM   #29
vincenzowl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Here we go again...

Ok here goes...

This has been my experience at RSC NY as recently as 7 months ago. Multiple RSC reps told me in person on numerous occasions that a warranty card that originates outside of the US, requires a bill or sale, signed by the same person named on the card.

Don’t get crazy folks. I’m not happy about this nor does it bring me any pleasure to share this experience. Just passing along the info.

In dec 2014 I bought a Like New LVC from a trusted seller. Turned out there was a spot on the inside of crystal. I brought it in to RSC, showed them the spot. They asked for the bill of sale, told them I didn’t have one and was denied service under warranty.

Only for non US cards? Sounds like all the negative stories are out of the NY RSC. Have you tried others in the US?
vincenzowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 03:25 PM   #30
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Here we go again...

Ok here goes...

RSC NY is playing a dirty game IMHO. I fully trust every word you speak about your experience.

If a tourist shows up to the RSC in question how would he possibly have that information?

No RSC I have dealt with outside of the US has behaved in that manner so it would imply that that is their own policy and not company wide?

Would be a tough one to enforce over here.