The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 April 2011, 02:08 AM   #1
Frogman4me
Banned

Less in common with the General Rolex crowd?

I am sure some of you members who have been around for longer than me may have very well already come to this conclusion or maybe its just me. But the more I read threads and interact in the General Rolex section which I now refer to as Modern Rolex section I realized my interest are progressively different.

I just read a thread regarding anyone who hates the Submariner. To my surprise a lot of people in the general rolex section do. To me this is mind boggling, how can you love Rolex and hate the submariner which arguably created all the success for Rolex and stamped their history as one of the greatest and most recognizable watch makers in the world.

I see the comments people post and then look at their sig to see their current lineup of watches and of course they are all modern examples which does not bother me as I realize vintage is for a select few and I love that fact but know the history of the brand. I mean you joined a Rolex Forum! Take a moment and understand where the brand came from is all I am saying.

Just today I realized, although we are all here for Rolex in a sense, my interest are far more different than SOME of the General Rolex members. I guess that is the beauty of Rolex, you don't need to know anything other than the name and you can take part. Damn you genius marketing...lol

This is not to flame anyone or discount the general section as there are so many great members, its just sometimes I am stunned on how little knowledge of the brand people really know but spend thousands of hard earned dollars on.

I get no kind of impression from the vintage community, everyone knows their Rolex history and I often learn something here from all the valuable members. Consider this an appreciation thread to our awesome Vintage Section you guys are best!
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 02:14 AM   #2
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
David- I hear you that is why we are Crumudgeons!! Lol
You have to take the bad with the good. I take it for what
it is worth and always consider the source. A lot of great guys there too
and many with different interests and passions- kind of like a microcosm
of life itself. On the plus side- we get to share, learn, and enjoy so much
here!! You are one of the good guys so enjoy hanging out with you my friend!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 02:25 AM   #3
conrail
"TRF" Member

Hah right on. I thought the same thing while reading that exact thread. I think it really is two different worlds. As they say, once you go vintage, you don't go back. I was part of that "modern" crowd not too long ago and think that many people "over there" were like me: just had no clue about the whole new wave of feelings that comes from owning and wearing vintage
Old 9 April 2011, 02:26 AM   #4
Newportkrieger
Banned

Watch: GMT Master Pepsi
In all fairness, the majority of those expressing unfavorable opinions on that thread about the Sub so far, dont like the Subs popularity. Very few actually named specific physical or functionality traits that they did not like.

Some people just hate to consider themselves to be part of the "crowd" even when the crowd has it right IMHO.
Newportkrieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 02:33 AM   #5
Paracentesis
Banned

Watch: Tissot
I think a lot of people here (there) buy Rolex because it's pretty much the only high-end watch they have heard of, and that's about as deep as the thinking goes! Reading some of their remarks, particularly about other brands like JLC & PP, reveals a very deep black hole of general ignorance about watches.

I remember a thread a few months back, which posed the question "Rolex is to Sub, as Blancpain is to ... ?" (If it wasn't that exactly, then it was similar.)

One of the responses, which made me LOL, was "I prefer the Sub."
Paracentesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 02:36 AM   #6
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newportkrieger View Post
In all fairness, the majority of those expressing unfavorable pinions on that thread about the Sub so far, dont like the Subs popularity. Very few actually named specific physical or functionality traits that thay did not like.

Some people just hate to consider themselves to be part of the "crowd" even when the crowd has it right IMHO.
All except that every modern watch is already part of the crowd and common!
To me using a broad term or model like Sub without using specific references is generalizing and missing the whole history and amazing thing about these iconic wrist pieces!! Just my take but what do I know??

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 9 April 2011, 02:43 AM   #7
Frogman4me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
Thanks Ken you are prime example of the valuable member I am referring to.
Old 9 April 2011, 02:44 AM   #8
Frogman4me
Banned

Quote:
To me using a broad term or model like Sub without using specific references is generalizing and missing the whole history and amazing thing about these iconic wrist pieces!! Just my take but what do I know??
Exactly my point all modern Rolex are common, of all the models to throw under the bus people choose the Legendary Submariner and tried to generalize all 58 years of different models as 1. Why anyone who is a member of a Rolex forum try to devalue a Submariner is just beyond my comprehension. Please say datejust as an example of "common" but when I have to defend a Submariner on a ROLEX forum then something is not right.
Old 9 April 2011, 02:47 AM   #9
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman4me View Post
Thanks Ken you are prime example of the valuable member I am referring to.
Thank you David!! Back at you!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 9 April 2011, 03:01 AM   #10
JEC

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
I stopped reading the general Rolex section after about the third "what watch should I buy to pick up ladies" thread. Now I only frequent the vintage page and the for sale.

Owning vintage is a different mindset entirely. We seek out things most people don't even think about. To the average joe, a good vintage watch is one that is flawlessly restored to look like a brand new one. The vintage collector knows that is a worthless piece sullied by service and/or aftermarket parts. We want originality and patina. Most people want a shiny new watch.
JEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 03:36 AM   #11
Newportkrieger
Banned

Quote:
That's the difference between the vintage and modern crowd. The vintage enthusiasts see all the references and variations as a history and evolution to be studied and appreciated, each watch itself having a unique character to be treasured and a provenance to be discovered if possible.

The modern crowd just sees a Sub, GMT, Daytona etc... and cant be bothered to educate themselves beyond the brochures at the AD's to make sure they have the latest, greatest to wear on their wrists. Clearly from the thread in question and the Sub's critics concern that "everyone has a Sub", the statement their watch makes to the world about them is very important to them. Personally if that the case, they should be wearing Patek's IMHO.
Old 9 April 2011, 03:37 AM   #12
Beaumont Miller II
"TRF" Member

Ken is right. We are a microcosm. Every time I look at the number of viewers we have on the vintage side, it is about 10 percent of their numbers viewing. Some of the posts do have some interesting content though, and Jocke does take some great pics. That being said, I am glad to see that you are staying here and not going modern on us.
Old 9 April 2011, 03:44 AM   #13
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
not to get off subject, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEC View Post
I stopped reading the general Rolex section after about the third "what watch should I buy to pick up ladies" thread. Now I only frequent the vintage page and the for sale.

Owning vintage is a different mindset entirely. We seek out things most people don't even think about. To the average joe, a good vintage watch is one that is flawlessly restored to look like a brand new one. The vintage collector knows that is a worthless piece sullied by service and/or aftermarket parts. We want originality and patina. Most people want a shiny new watch.
Do you remember which watch we're supposed to buy to pick up women?
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 03:52 AM   #14
Newportkrieger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcbbrown View Post
Do you remember which watch we're supposed to buy to pick up women?
Clearly I have all the wrong ones.

Old 9 April 2011, 03:58 AM   #15
Racer X
"TRF" Member

There's a general Rolex section?
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 04:06 AM   #16
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paracentesis View Post
I think a lot of people here (there) buy Rolex because it's pretty much the only high-end watch they have heard of, and that's about as deep as the thinking goes! Reading some of their remarks, particularly about other brands like JLC & PP, reveals a very deep black hole of general ignorance about watches.

I remember a thread a few months back, which posed the question "Rolex is to Sub, as Blancpain is to ... ?" (If it wasn't that exactly, then it was similar.)

One of the responses, which made me LOL, was "I prefer the Sub."
What is really interesting though is when you throw personal tastes into the mix. I got into watches because of the link with diving when diving was in its infancy. I basically don't care for PP because it is just "not my style". I like Blancpain, but unfortunately their new stuff has gone the way that Rolex is going........fancy, shiny, and so far from its roots that it would make Jaques Cousteau cry.

For some reason I really like the Milgauss and the GMT from Rolex (love the history of those models also), but otherwise..........just give me a diver.

I am definitely a Curmudgeon though. I have a few modern Rolex watches, but more than likely will not stray from vintage again

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 04:12 AM   #17
BB83

Watch: Daytona
I really enjoy our little vintage crowd -- learn a lot and have much fun!! Discussions have gotten even better post-Basel!!

I scan the general forum but don't read as many threads as before. Same with the for sale section, as most of what's being sold is modern!
BB83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 04:25 AM   #18
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB83 View Post
I really enjoy our little vintage crowd -- learn a lot and have much fun!! Discussions have gotten even better post-Basel!!

I scan the general forum but don't read as many threads as before. Same with the for sale section, as most of what's being sold is modern!
Yup, you are right. Almost nothing for sale but modern. I keep tabs on a couple sellers, but that is it

Hopefully later this year I will be contacting Ken to get the contact info for his guy to find me my next vintage conquest

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 04:52 AM   #19
Al1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watch
Personally I've only ever owned modern Rolex, mainly owing to the fact that i've only recently (the past year or two) been hit by the watch bug. However, vintage I've learnt is one of those things that really grows on you.

When I first started looking at vintage watches I never saw the appeal but somewhere along the way, either my tastes matured or I just grew an appreciation for the origins of the modern Rolex I love so much and I realised that I actually started to prefer vintage models to modern ones!

Now don't get me wrong, I love many of the modern models and if i had the resources would own many of them, but I can't shake that love for vintage pieces. Whether I will venture into vintage is another question as I by no means know anywhere near enough to even think about buying a vintage piece. There's just so much to know before I can make an informed decision to enter that world and i think many people's dislike of vintage stems from that feeling of uncertainty.

To say that it is a daunting feeling is an understatement, there's a great deal to know and I think many of us are still too 'early on' in our watch careers shall we say to appreciate many aspects of vintage. The Vintage section will probably have a influx of ex-General section members in a few years
Al1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 04:53 AM   #20
Clay
Banned

To own a modern rolex, all you need is money....

But to own a "quality" vintage piece, you need knowledge and patience, as well as an understanding and appreciation of the historical value that many of these watches represent......as well as money...

A vintage watch speaks to a time gone by, a time that for better or worse, we will never see again.....

It is something to be respected, treasured and appreciated.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 04:55 AM   #21
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post

But to own a "quality" vintage piece, you need knowledge and patience, as well as an understanding and appreciation of the historical value that many of these watches represent......as well as money...

A vintage watch speaks to a time gone by, a time that for better or worse, we will never see again.....

hear, hear!
Old 9 April 2011, 05:34 AM   #22
Newportkrieger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post

+1 I wish I had said that....sums it up perfectly!
Old 9 April 2011, 05:46 AM   #23
Yazo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb83 View Post
i really enjoy our little vintage crowd -- learn a lot and have much fun!! Discussions have gotten even better post-basel!!

+1!!
Yazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 05:50 AM   #24
Newportkrieger
Banned

It would seem that the classifieds are seeing fewer and fewer vintage watches lately.
Old 9 April 2011, 06:20 AM   #25
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
Yup, you are right. Almost nothing for sale but modern. I keep tabs on a couple sellers, but that is it

Hopefully later this year I will be contacting Ken to get the contact info for his guy to find me my next vintage conquest
Jason- will be my pleasure!

Clay- you are so right!! Love hunting down scarce minty grails!! No feeling like it once you get them- the history- the provenance- so much more than just a watch!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 9 April 2011, 08:44 AM   #26
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newportkrieger View Post
It would seem that the classifieds are seeing fewer and fewer vintage watches lately.
I've noticed that in the past few months especially. About 3-4 months ago, however, it seems like there was a massive influx of red subs on the market, but lately its been very quiet.
Old 9 April 2011, 09:00 AM   #27
London Gent
"TRF" Member

Can I wear my 6241 in the shower?
London Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 09:18 AM   #28
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
The advantage of being an old curmudgeon is that all my watches are now vintage,
like me...............but they're in much better shape......I'm gonna check myself into the RSC & have myself renovated.
Bah humbug....old Rolex rules.
Three from the 20th century, 2 from the 21st century, 3 w/ lug holes, 2 without.

P.S. If anyone remembers which Rolex is best for picking up women, please PM me
Old 9 April 2011, 09:19 AM   #29
Michael M.
Banned

Quote:
I agree Ken, great to have you here! I joined TRF and VRF, and founded VRG all for one reason, I'm passionate about vintage rolexes, I like them because you can't just walk in to a random AD and ask," do you have a 6240 daytona?" I also love vintage because no two vintage watches are alike even if they are the same model, each is going to have a different history and patina
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2011, 09:21 AM   #30
Michael M.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Gent View Post
Can I wear my 6241 in the shower?
I would definitely not, please post pics of your 6241
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote