The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 September 2019, 03:26 AM   #1
bkay
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN/228235
waiting list

how does one get on the waiting list for a nautilus or an aquanaut, I'm new to the watch game. i've heard they only are sold to HNWI at AD, I don't want to walk in to my nearest PP and ask them and get laughed at lol
bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 03:30 AM   #2
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
1) Buy a $20-$30k Calatrava to start relationship - An ok approach, you may get on the list
2) Buy a complication to start relationship (Annual calendar or WT) - A good approach
3) Buy a grand complication (5270 etc.) - Expect to get a Naut or Aquanaut in 6-12 months especially if you ask
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 03:44 AM   #3
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
1. Talk to them and say you're interested.
2. You have XXX,XXX to spend (because, you do need that amount to start catching any eyeballs)
3. You want to bundle a 5724R/G with a 5712 or 5990 or whatever you feel like.
4. You're also interested in sports RG models and not just dress watches.
5. You'll want to own a grande complications sometime, but you hope that can go hand in hand with 5711/1A

The Patek market isn't cheap. You'll need to splash 100s of thousands. Or.... Just wait for the world to collapse and then someone will surely let up their aquas or nauts on the secondary market for a discount.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 03:45 AM   #4
Rolex85
"TRF" Member

find a Patek dealer that also sells diamonds and buy the three biggest diamonds they have and pay in cash and do not ask for a discount. You might get on the list

sorry... to be serious... it is next to impossible if you do not know the owner of the store or are a celebrity.
Old 19 September 2019, 05:23 AM   #5
Robtayham
"TRF" Member

Walk in with stacks of hundreds, and say you want to buy one today. Go large, or go home! :)
Robtayham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 05:31 AM   #6
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robtayham View Post
Walk in with stacks of hundreds, and say you want to buy one today. Go large, or go home! :)

best start walking home
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 05:50 AM   #7
"TRF" Member

Seriously!?!

DO NOT walk into an AD asking for the Nautilus/Aquanaut as the first line of questioning...this will definitely get you no attention whatsoever. They are probably sick and tired of walk-ins asking for the sports watches.
What you should do is massage your way into the discussion...maybe not during the first visit but at least over time. First, ask to see what references they DO have in stock and take a look at them. Look at it and if you don't find any you like just strike up a conversation on what you are looking for...AGAIN DO NOT talk about sports watches. Say you want the 5711...talk about a Calatrava that has the same movement or something. After at least 2-3 visits and talking to the SAME sales person(they need to know you are interested in these watches) about Patek watches and references...they will now know you are definitely a collector and not some Joe coming off the street with only interest in sports models.
You need to make your way into acquiring these SS models...not with money, influence, even celebrity status. Patek values the client relationship and they want to know you...
1688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 05:59 AM   #8
pam66
"TRF" Member

if all the kind of stooping over that people recommend in this thread was really necessary, i'd buy only rolex.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 06:00 AM   #9
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1688 View Post
DO NOT walk into an AD asking for the Nautilus/Aquanaut as the first line of questioning...this will definitely get you no attention whatsoever. They are probably sick and tired of walk-ins asking for the sports watches.

What you should do is massage your way into the discussion...maybe not during the first visit but at least over time. First, ask to see what references they DO have in stock and take a look at them. Look at it and if you don't find any you like just strike up a conversation on what you are looking for...AGAIN DO NOT talk about sports watches. Say you want the 5711...talk about a Calatrava that has the same movement or something. After at least 2-3 visits and talking to the SAME sales person(they need to know you are interested in these watches) about Patek watches and references...they will now know you are definitely a collector and not some Joe coming off the street with only interest in sports models.

You need to make your way into acquiring these SS models...not with money, influence, even celebrity status. Patek values the client relationship and they want to know you...

This is solid advice and I agree. You don’t get to third base on your first date, so get to know your AD before you subtly pop the question / float the idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 06:02 AM   #10
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

It's kind of like the hot but attainable girl at the bar surrounded by her friends. You gotta buy drinks for all of them and you can't focus too much on the hot girl or the other girls (who know they aren't as hot) will get offended.

You need to befriend the girls while subtlety ignoring the hot one but not so much that she hates you. This stupid dance goes on for a few rounds and then you ask the hot girl for a dance and then hope she says yes. Once she says yes you can then pull out all the moves.

Wingmen can help especially if they know the AD :)

Good luck getting laid...I mean....getting a nautilus!

PS: Appearance does matter and perhaps wear something other than a Rolex sports model. Prefably a Cellini or maybe a Milgauss yes a Milgauss or Code 11:59 and say "this is all I got, i need an upgrade, prefably something with panty dropping special powers".
Old 19 September 2019, 06:19 AM   #11
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
It's kind of like the hot but attainable girl at the bar surrounded by her friends. You gotta buy drinks for all of them and you can't focus too much on the hot girl or the other girls (who know they aren't as hot) will get offended.

You need to befriend the girls while subtlety ignoring the hot one but not so much that she hates you. This stupid dance goes on for a few rounds and then you ask the hot girl for a dance and then hope she says yes. Once she says yes you can then pull out all the moves.

PS: Appearance does matter and perhaps wear something other than a Rolex sports model. Prefably a Cellini or maybe a Milgauss yes a Milgauss or Code 11:59 and say "this is all I got, i need an upgrade, prefably something with panty dropping special powers".
: thank you Mr migagi
Old 19 September 2019, 06:24 AM   #12
baglady
"TRF" Member

Believe me I'm a solid 7/10 and make sure to wear one of my shorter miniskirts to the ADs and it doesn't even matter.
baglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 06:28 AM   #13
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baglady View Post
Believe me I'm a solid 7/10 and make sure to wear one of my shorter miniskirts to the ADs and it doesn't even matter.
No, no no no!!!! You know. I haven't actually considered your situation, that of a female collector. Here is my humble opinion:

I think you gotta dress like that lady in the Twenty-4 commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCoS0Fll29g

Or in the generations campaign- Kimono or knee length skirt (no birkin) 0:40; or 1:06. Bring girl kid with Teddy bear to pass down watch to (I can lend my daughter, $250 per hour kthx).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y0y_XeS0fM
Old 19 September 2019, 06:33 AM   #14
baglady
"TRF" Member

I dress like that normally. I definitely had to dig deep into the drawer for the mini and dust off the thigh high stilleto boots.
baglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 06:46 AM   #15
Toffeeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5164A
Any good sales person to introduce in Malaysia ?
Toffeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 06:59 AM   #16
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baglady View Post
I dress like that normally. I definitely had to dig deep into the drawer for the mini and dust off the thigh high stilleto boots.
Will refrain from asking for pics. Solid 7 huh....

Most of the sales associates at my ADs are female (middle age asian women); I would say I am a solid 7 normally but probably a 8-9 to them.
Old 19 September 2019, 07:26 AM   #17
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Wow we are talking about ranking our looks...

I have a 10/10 only calling policy... know your worth....
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 07:32 AM   #18
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Quote:

Old 19 September 2019, 07:38 AM   #19
eiesh
"TRF" Member

Quote:

eiesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 07:43 AM   #20
Dayhvac
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Will refrain from asking for pics. Solid 7 huh....

Most of the sales associates at my ADs are female (middle age asian women); I would say I am a solid 7 normally but probably a 8-9 to them.
What happened to pics or It didn't happen?

Dayhvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 08:05 AM   #21
rolex_addict
"TRF" Member

just save time and go Grey!
rolex_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 08:12 AM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you're in Luton take Kris Akabusi with you to the AD and maybe Jack Whitehall too, they might even open the door for you then.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 08:14 AM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

You got a beautiful mind, I see Nobel prizes in your future...
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 08:17 AM   #24
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:

Way too much effort
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 09:46 AM   #25
yehiashawki
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Awesome reply!
yehiashawki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 10:05 AM   #26
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Pls ask ninja, scu16m, aquaman and chunky. Follow everything they say and you will get your desired Nautilus and Aquanaut in no time.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 03:47 PM   #27
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Pls ask ninja, scu16m, aquaman and chunky. Follow everything they say and you will get your desired Nautilus and Aquanaut in no time.

I know nothing
Old 19 September 2019, 04:12 PM   #28
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
I know nothing
How many pints do you need to talk?
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 06:41 PM   #29
Mike Jab
Banned

There's no "waiting list", what are you talking about? Everything is readily available.
Mike Jab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 07:01 PM   #30
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
This is solid advice and I agree. You don’t get to third base on your first date, so get to know your AD before you subtly pop the question / float the idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If only you know how many homeruns I've done on my first date
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote