The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 September 2019, 06:53 AM   #1
jukeboxs
"TRF" Member

Stalled 5711

When setting my 5711 this morning, for the first time the seconds hand would not start again when winding the hands forward. It really had me worried, as it's just past the 2 year warranty period (purchased in Aug 2017). However, after about 2 minutes, thankfully it started ticking again.

My question: is this normal or a sign of a problem? If the latter, I will approach my AD in case Patek would be sympathetic.

Thanks folks.

P.S. I don't wear it often, 1 day a week max.
jukeboxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 08:24 AM   #2
zahain
"TRF" Member

If it happens again i would take it in for service. If you leave the crown open for too long the seconds hand will eventually stop (approximately 30-60 seconds later) but would reingage when you push it back in and screw it back down. Not sure exactly what happened in your case but yeah id wait and see if it happens again because if you send it off to service, say goodbye to it for months
zahain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 08:56 AM   #3
PJ S
Banned

It’s certainly not normal, and may be an indication that all is not well with the keyless works.
That’s on the presumption that there was sufficient torque in the mainspring to overcome the going train friction.
A bit more input on exactly how many turns of the crown you gave it before setting the time or if you’d just pulled it off a winder, would be useful to gauge whether you’ve anything to be concerned about or not.
It’s instances like these where more details/info is worth providing rather than omitting what you may think is trivial or immaterial.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 06:51 PM   #4
jukeboxs
"TRF" Member

Thanks both, I appreciate your replies. I had wound it about 30 times (from a stopped position, not having been worn for a week or more) before pulling out the crown out to set the time. When it stalled, the crown was still pulled out, I had just wound the hands forward again to get it going, once the correct time had been set (as I normally do) - and normally this would bring it into motion again.

It's been on my wrist now for 24 hours and it's been fine since, keeping good time. I'll keep it on for another few days.

I guess it's a case of seeing if it happens again (e.g. when I set it again after a break next week) or whether it was a one-off.

For info, I also have a 5167 (same movt obv) and the rest are all Rolex.

P.S. It may have something to do with your comment Zahain, as the crown was out for more than 1 minute as I set the time - but I didn't think leaving the crown out would stop the seconds hand, unless you wound it backwards.
Old 19 September 2019, 08:30 PM   #5
PJ S
Banned

^
It doesn’t, since the 324 is non-hacking, but the new 330 is.
The length of time the crown has been pulled out is immaterial, as you could leave it out for a whole week with the seconds hand stalled, and the mainspring would still be at the same state of wind.
Hopefully it was a one-off blip, but I’m puzzled as to what may’ve caused the stiction that was eventually overcome, other than gears not exactly lined up somehow.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 08:57 PM   #6
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
^
It doesn’t, since the 324 is non-hacking, but the new 330 is.
The length of time the crown has been pulled out is immaterial, as you could leave it out for a whole week with the seconds hand stalled, and the mainspring would still be at the same state of wind.
Hopefully it was a one-off blip, but I’m puzzled as to what may’ve caused the stiction that was eventually overcome, other than gears not exactly lined up somehow.
I was told by a Patek watchmaker that pulling the crown out will cause the second hand to stop after 30 - 60 seconds. Maybe some of our forum members with a 324 movement could check?
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 03:21 AM   #7
zahain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
I was told by a Patek watchmaker that pulling the crown out will cause the second hand to stop after 30 - 60 seconds. Maybe some of our forum members with a 324 movement could check?
It does, i have tried with 5167 and 5164 which both if you leave the crown open for that 30-60 sec range stops the watch. Not sure if it damages the movement by doing so but i did see in my tests that if you shake the watch / the rotor moves after the seconds hands stop, it started again with the crown still open.

OP just see how it goes and if it doesn't happen again then i wouldn't worry about it. You could also shake the watch to and listen to ensure there is no weird rattling as a part may have come loose but i doubt it.
zahain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 09:39 AM   #8
jukeboxs
"TRF" Member

Thanks again chaps for your replies. I might ask my AD to check on the "stopping after 1 minute" point, I'm now interested. I agree with you - I think my 5711 is probably OK.

Thanks, I feel more relieved now than before I posted.
Old 20 September 2019, 09:54 AM   #9
jukeboxs
"TRF" Member

P.S. I checked this theory on my 5167. On pulling the crown out to 2nd position, the second hand did stop after around 90 seconds, without winding the crown (e.g. in reverse). It then started again when I pushed the crown back in (before I screwed it down). So, this looks to prove the stopping theory. This must mean I took less than 90 seconds in the previous 2 years to set my 5711, and I only took longer this week.

It would be interesting to get others' feedback, to confirm the above on their 324 movement watches.
Old 21 September 2019, 12:33 PM   #10
lsupcar
"TRF" Member

The 324 in my 5153 took a little longer then 90 seconds, but eventually did stop after 2 or 3 minutes until i rotated the crown.
lsupcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 05:16 PM   #11
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Stalled 5711

Your watch is out of warranty but I think patek give you an early service if you have any problems, the same thing happened to mine, the date was also stuck from time to time, it was serviced after a few months of purchase and I was told they do that if any problems arise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 September 2019, 05:19 PM   #12
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahain View Post
It does, i have tried with 5167 and 5164 which both if you leave the crown open for that 30-60 sec range stops the watch. Not sure if it damages the movement by doing so but i did see in my tests that if you shake the watch / the rotor moves after the seconds hands stop, it started again with the crown still open.

OP just see how it goes and if it doesn't happen again then i wouldn't worry about it. You could also shake the watch to and listen to ensure there is no weird rattling as a part may have come loose but i doubt it.
No it will not damage the movement, you simply engage the setting mechanism and this extra friction will just stop the movement after a while. This wouldn't do any more or less 'harm' than a traditional balance stop. Don't worry
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote