The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 November 2018, 07:04 AM   #1
caigy
"TRF" Member

Please help identify this bubble back

Can anyone help identify this bubble back for me? I'm a bit confused: I was told it's a model 3065, but as far as I can tell the 3065 has hooded lugs, which this does not. The dial says Oyster Perpetual, but it runs down after about 40 hours, which I assume means it is manual wind, not automatic (I thought Perpetual meant automatic/self-wind).

Is the dial repainted, perhaps inaccurately indicating Perpetual for a manual wind watch? Or am I misunderstanding the meaning of the term "perpetual"?

The watch is 14k pink gold, and there are markings on the back of several of the lugs that I think indicate service to the watch. They're difficult to decipher, though. I have not opened the watch so I don't know what it looks like inside. Runs fine, though.

Thanks for any help on this.

L1020101-resized.jpg

L1020102-resized.jpg

L1020105-resized.jpg
caigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 04:26 PM   #2
watch-guy.com
Banned

A few things to note
1. Dial is def redone
2. reference no may 2940 def not 3065- open case back for definitive answer
3. The front of the case VERY polished - but not back?
4. Crown looks original
5. Movement should be automatic- movement such as shaking should get the watch going again. No shake no go!
watch-guy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 12:37 AM   #3
caigy
"TRF" Member

Thanks watch-guy for the info.
I suspected the dial was re-done, but I don't mind: I like the look.

I suppose the reason it's not polished on the back is because of the inscription. I think the inscription adds character and a story to the watch, even though it's not from my family.

As to the reference possibly being 2940, it does look like other 2940's I've seen on the internet, but it also looks like a lot of 3131's. I'll have to have a watch repair guy open it for me to determine what it is.

Regarding the automatic movement: if that's what it is, it definitely isn't operating as an automatic. It runs down in just under 2 days and has to be re-wound. I'll have to look into that and have a repair service determine why.

Thanks for the help.
caigy is offline   Reply With Quote