The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 November 2018, 11:31 PM   #1
Weinboyz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
Advice Needed Newbie

Hello all, I am new to the forum and looking for some advice. I currently have a first run Submariner model#16610LV (Kermit) but don't wear it often. I am thinking about trading into a Sea-Dweller Deepsea 116660 used with box and papers. My Submariner does not have box and papers. The difference would be between $2,000-$3,000 out of pocket. What do you all think? and what do you think for appreciation values in the future. Thoughts??? Thanks in Advance.
Weinboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 11:36 PM   #2
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Welcome to the forum.

Not sure about values, there are others on here that will be able to help though.

Bit of advice though, use references rather than nicknames, you’ll probably get twice as many responses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 12:00 AM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Which watch do you want more?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 12:07 AM   #4
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Don't buy the watch because you think it will appreciate in value, buy it because it's what you want to own.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 12:08 AM   #5
Weinboyz
"TRF" Member

I'm sure I will wear the Sea dweller Deep Sea a lot more. However, I want to look at my options in the long run and eventually to pass down to my kids.
Old 22 November 2018, 12:24 AM   #6
Weinboyz
"TRF" Member

Very True!!!! And Well Put.
Old 22 November 2018, 12:25 AM   #7
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
If its primarily for passing down to your kids, a 50th Anniversary model, that is already no longer manufactured, 'could potentially' be more of an inheritance as far as value.

However:

There are no guarantees as you probably know .... and then there is the fact that you mentioned that you would wear the 116660 and that could probably mean more to a kid as an inheritance than the value in cash being that it was the watch their father wore.

It all comes down to what you want at the end of the day ... and all credit to you thinking about your kids in the distant future ....but I think you should concider what you want first .... the kids inheritance is a long way off.

For what its worth .... I sold my LV a long time ago ..... and it still hurts.
Old 22 November 2018, 12:36 AM   #8
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Have you tried on the DSSD? Going from the 5 smaller LV to the significantly larger DSSD is like going from a compact car to a semi truck. There is some adjustment, and it's not for everybody. I love mine but cant wear it everyday. Buy what you like and don't worry about future values. The value should be what the watch means to you not what the resale value will be. Just my .02, happy hunting.
Old 22 November 2018, 12:46 AM   #9
Weinboyz
"TRF" Member

DP63 and ItmGeller, I can see your points and agree. the value to my children will be just that, the watch I wear will mean more than a value. Yes, I've tried on the DSSD and have no problems with it. I also wear a Panerai so I'm already used to the size and weight, even though the DSSD is a little heavier. Neither the size nor weight bother me. Thanks ITMGeller, thanks for rubbing it in, haha. If I had an unlimited supply of funds, I would own them both
Old 22 November 2018, 12:47 AM   #10
Jonesy2099
"TRF" Member

I prefer the Submariner you have, why exchange it for another diver? As for future values. Who knows? The 16610 is very limited so in theory that should make it worth more. Then again, it might make sense to just sell it and put the money in a bank account.

My advice is to enjoy whichever watch you want more because it appeals to you. Don't worry about a future value that you may not even benefit from.
Jonesy2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 01:10 AM   #11
blah114
Banned

Watch: iPhone
Keep the submariner if for no other reason.. resale. I prefer nicknames over references myself. The sub is as good a watch as the deep sea . I have both myself and the bulkiness of the deep sea after years of ownership gets old for me. Other opinions may differ and I make zero apologies for mine. The deep sea is a great watch but I’d keep the green sub were i you—or upgrade to a two tone blue sub.. over the deep sea. Or, maybe upgrade to the deep blue if you’re set on getting a deep sea. I wear the deep blue a lot but lately have returned to the sub or gmt Pepsi because of size.

There’s an AD I know that told me over his 25 years in business, people that trade subs almost always end up buying another sub years afterwards . He stated this does NOT happen with any other Rolex by comparison. So just realize you might miss the sub and it will likely be more expensive in future. The Kermit is no longer made either as you know. You’ll regret it if you let go of it . I still kick myself for not buying a Kermit a few years ago for 7k used.
blah114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 01:14 AM   #12
Fencer
"TRF" Member

Keep the Sub, it is a FAR more universal watch. Deep Sea is definitely not for everyone, and not for every occasion - saying this as its owner.
Fencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 01:28 AM   #13
moesalty
"TRF" Member

Get both! Problem solved....
moesalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:30 AM   #14
koryong
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
When you said you have the first run Kermit, do you mean it's from the 1st batch launched in 2003 ?
koryong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:51 AM   #15
sdh1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 LN
Have you tried the deep sea on?..... there's a big difference in the two and the DS is certainly not for everyone. I had one a few years ago but just couldn't get used to the heft of it. The Kermit is a great all rounder and would be my my choice

In terms of value appreciation, who knows? But the Kermit has been steadily (and not so steadily) increasing year after year.
Old 22 November 2018, 03:01 AM   #16
R!$
Banned

choose the best watch you would like to wear
i wouldnt worry about box or papers
if you want an investment look elsewhere
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 05:32 AM   #17
BakerView
"TRF" Member

Watch: that I'm Jonesin 4
If you're considering your children, consider the LV is a Sub and the standard 40mm sport Rolex vs the size/weight of the DSSD. Some find the size of the DSSD a challenge. A Rubber-B strap can improve the comfort if you go that route.
I'm +1 on keeping the LV. I too miss mine.

The watch you give up today for the next grail may one day become your grail:
Rolex:116520, 16570, 216570, 116710LN, 16610LV, 16700, 116600
Panerai:PAM176, PAM1024, PAM88
Breitling:6.75, Aerospace x2, Chrono 44 GMT, Blackbird/utc, Bentley GT
IWC:3717.
BakerView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 10:49 AM   #18
Weinboyz
"TRF" Member

Not sure if it’s a first run but Y serial number. Also yes I thought about the rubber strap to make more comfortable. I’ve tried them on before and don’t mind the weight. As I wear other large heavy watches. And thank you all for your opinions. It’s definitly helping!!!! Of course making it a much more difficult decision.