The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 November 2018, 04:28 PM   #1
Greg75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/JLC/AP
JC (1/2) 126660 D-blue owners please weigh in

TRF - not that long ago, after an injury that left it difficult for me to read my much-loved Daytona and several other nice pieces (Reverso, GO PMR XL and others), I decided to consolidate down from 7 watches to a collection of 3 easy to see (larger) “keepers” plus a G-Shock and Seiko diver, for beater-time. Traded several from my previous collection for my grail AP - a Rose/Pink Gold ROO 44mm - and sold off a few others that I had not been wearing. Now, with AP in hand/on wrist, I am hunting for two additional, legible keepers - a non-PM luxury tool watch and something closer to dress, but not necessarily Calatrava-style conservative. This, I am hoping, will result in my ultimate 3 (+beaters) watch collection/rotation.

Yesterday, I was offered the “opportunity” to purchase a new, from AD at MSRP, JC2/D-blue 126660. Obviously, the size and weight are not issues to me, given that I absolutely love wearing, and often wear my AP, which is really larger in diameter, if a touch thinner, and even heavier than the Deapsea Blue (JC2). Also, I think the JC2 looks pretty cool.

My thought is to pick it up tomorrow. Then, I would decide whether to go with a fairly traditional dress watch, such as a gold JLC MUT or something from Breguet, or something less classic but more iconic, such as a DJ 41 TT in YG with champagne dial and baton markers, for my trifecta.

But, before I pull the trigger on the Rolex (just before, I know), thought I’d check in to see how others feel about their JC DSSDs. Ultimate tool watch from the ultimate sports-luxury brand? Or, over-engineered brick? What do you love/like? Any regrets?

Thanks, all.

Greg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Greg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 04:54 PM   #2
harvey
"TRF" Member

Picked mine up on Saturday. The ultimate diver. It could ruin me for other references.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 November 2018, 05:27 PM   #3
BadBoyR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubsGMTsSDsYM2DJ41
Lovely reference, do it, you will not regret it.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
BadBoyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 09:16 PM   #4
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Love mine. It will be with me until my last days.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 09:59 PM   #5
DaytonaTed
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona, D-Blue
Absolutely no regrets. I love the size, weight and feel on my wrist. Jump on it, you won’t be sorry.
DaytonaTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 10:13 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I owned the DSSD several times and look forward to seeing the updated DSSD in person. I own a SD43 and think the watch is great with the size and bracelet. I always felt that the first edition DSSD had a bracelet that was not in proportion with the watch and even properly sized was still off. That has been corrected so I would go for it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 10:20 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Former owner of the 116660 Dblue here. I’ve tried 126660 on, but obviously it wasn’t sized and with this watch more that any other that’s so important. In all honesty, I’m not convinced the new bracelet makes much of a difference in terms of wearability. I do think that aesthetically it’s nicer.

It’s one of those referees where you have to bite the bullet have it sized wear it and and own it for a while to know if it’s right for you. Just my
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 10:48 PM   #8
zjd168
"TRF" Member

I have the JC1. If you can handle the thickness it is a great watch. The dial is incredibly amazing. It is a big and visible watch making some statement and drawing attention, so make sure you are comfortable with that.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 12:50 AM   #9
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
I always thought they were kind of cool but wasn't on my list of next watches to buy.. at the time was toying with an AP RO but my dealer called and said would you be interested in a Deepsea with gradient dial... When I first tried it on it felt large since I was wearing my Sub but an amazing looking watch. After a day of wearing it the size disappeared and even 4 moths on of wearing it daily I catch myself admiring it. The domed crystal, lack of Cyclops, stunningly proportioned case and the dial are just awesome.. Funny part is it gets called "large" but when I got home and put it next to my planet ocean they're exactly the same size.. and nobody ever complains about the Omega being too large
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 01:06 AM   #10
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Zero regrets here and probably my favorite watch. Go for it! Sounds ideal for what you're looking for and what you're used to wearing.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 01:52 AM   #11
AK DeepSea
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabo_martin View Post
I always thought they were kind of cool but wasn't on my list of next watches to buy.. at the time was toying with an AP RO but my dealer called and said would you be interested in a Deepsea with gradient dial... When I first tried it on it felt large since I was wearing my Sub but an amazing looking watch. After a day of wearing it the size disappeared and even 4 moths on of wearing it daily I catch myself admiring it. The domed crystal, lack of Cyclops, stunningly proportioned case and the dial are just awesome.. Funny part is it gets called "large" but when I got home and put it next to my planet ocean they're exactly the same size.. and nobody ever complains about the Omega being too large
Do you happen to have side by side pictures or wrist shots?
AK DeepSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 05:08 AM   #12
Greg75
"TRF" Member

Thanks, all. Thinking I will pull the trigger, given the responses of all my fellow TRF-enablers.

Travis - if it’s likely your favorite out of all you own, that itself is good enough for me.

G

Old 22 November 2018, 05:12 AM   #13
Goin2drt
Banned

Love my JC1. It has moved up to top in the rotation. When want something a little smaller I wear the Hulk. Something bigger it is always the JC1. While I have plenty others to wear it seems that these two are the most frequent of the rotation.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 05:37 AM   #14
harvey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg75 View Post
Thanks, all. Thinking I will pull the trigger, given the responses of all my fellow TRF-enablers.

Travis - if it’s likely your favorite out of all you own, that itself is good enough for me.

G

I would agree with Travis as well. It is my favourite out of my nine Rolex references. Pictures and videos do not do it justice.
harvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 05:49 AM   #15
Greg75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
I would agree with Travis as well. It is my favourite out of my nine Rolex references. Pictures and videos do not do it justice.

Awesome. Heading to go get it in a few hours. (Harvey/Travis/anyone else) In the meantime (just to keep the anticipation building), what do you like best about it? What makes it a favorite?

Will have to have it shipped over the holidays, so I won’t have the watch or wrist-shot until next week.

Old 22 November 2018, 11:55 AM   #16
Greg75
"TRF" Member

Deed done. Now, the waiting.

Old 22 November 2018, 11:58 AM   #17
AK DeepSea
Banned

This feedback is making me more excited for my wife to gift me my JC 126660. Have to wait until March for my birthday though!! I have not even seen it in person, it’s hiding somewhere at home!

Waited 6 months on the list and was the 1st one to put my CC down....!
AK DeepSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 12:01 PM   #18
Greg75
"TRF" Member

Nice. Will be sure to post many pics next week for you. Looks great in the metal, IMO.

Old 22 November 2018, 12:16 PM   #19
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
What a great choice. Love seeing the incoming pics of the OPs that pull that one off.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 12:30 PM   #20
Greg75
"TRF" Member

Pic of me comfortably rocking my AP (I think), which definitely is wider and heavier (not taller) than the soon-to-arrive JC2. Expecting I will love wearing the ultimate Rolex diver. More to follow, when it arrives. Thanks, again.

Old 29 November 2018, 01:02 PM   #21
Greg75
"TRF" Member

Arrival:

Old 29 November 2018, 01:08 PM   #22
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
It’s a big watch, pretty decent height, a lot of weight. The dial might be my favorite Rolex.

If you have a rotation of 3 I’d say no, but 5, I’d say go for it. The 116 was like a fat guy on stilts, the 126 is a huge improvement with the bracelet. I know we’re all different, but I can’t see many people with under 7 inch wrists pulling it off, I’m almost 7.5 and it still felt large, YMMV.

That dial though, something else, so unique and amazing, IMO.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 01:44 PM   #23
JasChCh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I don't have the JC version, just the standard (but still stunning) Black 126660, so I am only commentating form the perspective of how the watch wears.

I love it. Wear it all the time, every day for the last 3 months since I picked it up. My other watches have been neglected.

It sits comfortably and well, although it has to be said that you won't forget you are wearing it...which isn't necessarily a bad thing as I have yet to hit anything with my DSSD due to be more aware of it's presence on my wrist. And it really is a presence.....

I love seeing the appreciation of the 116660/126660 on this forum, it really is an incredible piece.

On a personal note I hope you have recovered from the injury. I myself had to have surgery to remove an eye a couple of years back and although you would not know it to look at me I still feel the affects with regards reading dates etc. And with the DSSD I can even without a cyclops (Somewhat ironic that I, as a cyclops myself, prefer my watches without one).
JasChCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 01:50 PM   #24
Air Rescue 5
Banned

Watch: GMT MII
I’m all in on mine. That said, if legibility is an issue, there’s always the SD43 with cyclops. If your eyes aren’t the best, you’ll never know what day it is with JC date wheel.
Air Rescue 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 02:29 PM   #25
Greg75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasChCh View Post
I don't have the JC version, just the standard (but still stunning) Black 126660, so I am only commentating form the perspective of how the watch wears.

I love it. Wear it all the time, every day for the last 3 months since I picked it up. My other watches have been neglected.

It sits comfortably and well, although it has to be said that you won't forget you are wearing it...which isn't necessarily a bad thing as I have yet to hit anything with my DSSD due to be more aware of it's presence on my wrist. And it really is a presence.....

I love seeing the appreciation of the 116660/126660 on this forum, it really is an incredible piece.

On a personal note I hope you have recovered from the injury. I myself had to have surgery to remove an eye a couple of years back and although you would not know it to look at me I still feel the affects with regards reading dates etc. And with the DSSD I can even without a cyclops (Somewhat ironic that I, as a cyclops myself, prefer my watches without one).

Thank you for you kind wishes. I did lose all sight in my left eye. Fortunately, my right still works okay and I have no problem seeing the date, when I need to. Main problem now for me is when contrast is low or when shiny bits disappear over other shiny bits. Both were problems with my Daytona; neither is an issue with the D-blue.

Old 29 November 2018, 02:34 PM   #26
harvey
"TRF" Member

Greg, huge congrats! Was I right that pics do not do it justice?

What are your quick thoughts on this reference?
harvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 02:39 PM   #27
dylan0024
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea and Batman
i love mine. the dial is great. i like the weight of it.
dylan0024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 02:48 PM   #28
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Looks great! Superb dial - Rolex really outdid themselves on that blue to black fading dial, and I LOVE that green DEEPSEA below the center. Enjoy!

As for readability, you might try a IWC Big Pilot ... probably the most legible watch I can think on the market right now.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 03:55 PM   #29
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
Howdy neighbor *. I picked mine up from Geary’s on the 4th and it hasn’t left my wrist since. I absolutely love this watch and I’m glad you love yours.

jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 03:35 AM   #30
Greg75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
Greg, huge congrats! Was I right that pics do not do it justice?

What are your quick thoughts on this reference?

You were right, Harvey.

Quick thoughts: it’s my favorite Rolex and the perfect steel sports watch for me. Everything about it is perfectly executed. The movement seems great. First Day accuracy is dead-on and there is absolutely no slop when setting the time, which I much appreciate. The crown even lines up when screwed in - maybe dumb luck, but I like that, too.

Much has been said about the size and weight. I like both. In fact, I have passed on other watches that I otherwise liked because the feel of an all titanium or ceramic watch just didn’t do it for me. And, this watch with full bracelet weighs about a full ounce less than my favorite AP.
As they say, different strokes for different folks.

As for the size, really think this model wears smaller than some other 44mm watches I have owned, particularly those from AP and Panerai. Likely this is due to the new, shorter lug design. This watch is not going to hang over most wrists, in my opinion, and fits great for me. At most, I can understand that some will find the watch a bit thick, but I like the seriously engineered feel and look of it. Even find the domed titanium back to very cool looking.

Altogether, I am very pleased. Think this, along with my AP a traditional dress watch, and a G-shock or Seiko for motorcycle or manual-labor days, will make the perfect collection for me.

Thanks to all for your advice and opinions. Much appreciated.

G