The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 November 2018, 02:57 AM   #1
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
New SD43 -9s/day

I acquired a BNIB SD43 several days ago. I’ve noticed it has consistently lost about 9 seconds per day. It has been on my wrist all day each day but rests on my nightstand (crown up) while I sleep. I understand that crown up orientation generally causes the watch to slow a bit, and I haven’t yet tried face up, etc. But -9s/day seems significantly out of spec for a new watch. Seems to me I should send it to RSC for service (hopefully to be covered by warranty). Would you guys do the same? Thanks.

Edit: I will certainly try different resting positions before sending it to RSC.
bmclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:58 AM   #2
GreatScott
"TRF" Member

Yes, mine is spot on

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:58 AM   #3
LPan
"TRF" Member

Watch: me collect more...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmclaurin View Post
I acquired a BNIB SD43 several days ago. I’ve noticed it has consistently lost about 9 seconds per day. It has been on my wrist all day each day but rests on my nightstand (crown up) while I sleep. I understand that crown up orientation generally causes the watch to slow a bit, and I haven’t yet tried face up, etc. But -9s/day seems significantly out of spec for a new watch. Seems to me I should send it to RSC for service (hopefully to be covered by warranty). Would you guys do the same? Thanks.

Edit: I will certainly try different resting positions before sending it to RSC.
Absolutely, there is no way it should be losing anything like that. +/-2 secs per day is the max I believe.
LPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:58 AM   #4
Uncle00Jesse
"TRF" Member

Yes let RSC have a look at it. Mine is -2 no matter the position. That would bother me
Uncle00Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:59 AM   #5
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Give it a month to settle. If it still acts up then send it in.
Old 22 November 2018, 02:59 AM   #6
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPan View Post
Absolutely, there is no way it should be losing anything like that. +/-2 secs per day is the max I believe.
It's a new watch - typically they need time to settle.
Old 22 November 2018, 03:03 AM   #7
bkatx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
Agreed. And yes resting it crown up will slow it down. But not that much. All the Rolex I've had are very consistent regardless of position.
bkatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 03:06 AM   #8
al503
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD40, SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
My SD 43 will lose a little less than a second per day crown up. It'll gain about the same dial up so I doubt you'll make up anything close to ~9 seconds.

However, I agree that it will take a while for it to settle down. Both of my 32xx movements needed a couple of months.
al503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 03:20 AM   #9
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

That's horrible. The new movements dont "settle in" more than maybe .50 of a second if any at all. Its so out of spec there is nowhere to go but send it back in. That movement is capable of almost being perfect for a week or longer. Resting positions I have tested on a few new movements only deviate by 0.50 of a second overnight to even less than that. First of all, makes sure you wound the watch 60+ times and then test.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 03:26 AM   #10
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I’d wear it a little longer before sending it in.
Old 22 November 2018, 03:29 AM   #11
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Yes, I'd give it a month.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 03:31 AM   #12
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
let it run out completely, leave it overnight stopped, then fully wind the next day. See if anything changes. If not, send it in.

Agree with above about giving it a few weeks first before sending in.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 03:40 AM   #13
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:

Wind it up at least 40 turns and check it daily with Time.gov It is official NIST time in the USA and website is adjusted for network lag. Give the watch at least 2 weeks before you decide to send it in.
Be aware this is the holiday season, and regarding RSC you might be without the watch for longer than you wish.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 03:41 AM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Just because you are wearing the watch dont mean you are winding the watch,its wrist movement that winds the watch.Before rushing out give it a full manual wind at least 40 full crown turns clockwise only.Then set time with reliable time source with reasonable wrist movement then wear for 8 hours plus a day.Check time once only daily with same setting source write down lose or gain do this for 7 days .After the 7 days average out the lose or gain for a more accurate result.If then if way out of spec get watch regulated this will take around 3-4 weeks by RSC before its returned.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 03:43 AM   #15
Pol1
"TRF" Member

Here spot on as well.
Pol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 04:00 AM   #16
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Send it in. Despite what some say, these movements don’t really need to settle. According to Rolex, each piece is regulated to +/- 2 seconds AFTER casing before it leaves the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 04:43 AM   #17
Fraz
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't rush to open up a new watch. I would wait at least a month to see if this behavior changes. You have five years of warranty, I don't thinks there is any reason to rush.
Good luck!
Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 05:14 AM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uansari1 View Post
Send it in. Despite what some say, these movements don’t really need to settle. According to Rolex, each piece is regulated to +/- 2 seconds AFTER casing before it leaves the factory.

Thats correct but just like when they test the bare uncased movement on a machine at the Swiss COSC to get its certification at time of testing only to say its passed at a average -4+6 seconds.Then Rolex tests again possible hundreds at a time on a machine to this new -2+2 spec and just like the COSC test on machine to say its passed.But on the wrist there are many many variables,like temperature,gravity,mainspring power-reserve,wearing habits,subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks,and so on.Plus a day has 86400 seconds for any movement to run within a few seconds is truly a mechanical marvel.Some on forum wanting to get watch serviced for running 2.5 seconds fast,others bragging there watches are 1 second a day fast. Surely if running 1 second fast is out of the Rolex advertised spec -2+2 spec,or is it only god forbid its running one or two seconds over Rolex stated spec thats extremely evil.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 05:26 AM   #19
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon19

if you send it under the warranty it will be fixed but will take time, maybe 2 months

If you send it in to independent service person like Ric, it will be done relatively fast, but you will have to pay

If you like just add 1 minute every Sunday to a watch that is 1 minute fast and every Sunday you will be on time...

You can thank me later...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 05:54 AM   #20
bradyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
As others are saying, let it run down a few times and restart. Give it at least a month before sending in.
bradyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 05:58 AM   #21
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

Some really great counsel here, guys. Thanks a bunch. I’m going to follow the many suggestions to wait it out for at least a little while. I’ll try letting it run down completely a few times, as suggested by many. If no improvement, then it’s off for service. Would just need to decide between RSC (likely no cost, warranty repair, but takes a while) and an independent servicer (will cost money but likely much quicker).

Thanks again for the great advice.
Old 22 November 2018, 06:08 AM   #22
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Thats correct but just like when they test the bare uncased movement on a machine at the Swiss COSC to get its certification at time of testing only to say its passed at a average -4+6 seconds.Then Rolex tests again possible hundreds at a time on a machine to this new -2+2 spec and just like the COSC test on machine to say its passed.But on the wrist there are many many variables,like temperature,gravity,mainspring power-reserve,wearing habits,subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks,and so on.Plus a day has 86400 seconds for any movement to run within a few seconds is truly a mechanical marvel.Some on forum wanting to get watch serviced for running 2.5 seconds fast,others bragging there watches are 1 second a day fast. Surely if running 1 second fast is out of the Rolex advertised spec -2+2 spec,or is it only god forbid its running one or two seconds over Rolex stated spec thats extremely evil.

Completely agree on your points. But I would imagine that 9 seconds off is not entirely due to the variables you mentioned, and likely a combination of those variables and being out of spec....no?

Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 06:57 AM   #23
Fraz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Some really great counsel here, guys. Thanks a bunch. I’m going to follow the many suggestions to wait it out for at least a little while. I’ll try letting it run down completely a few times, as suggested by many. If no improvement, then it’s off for service. Would just need to decide between RSC (likely no cost, warranty repair, but takes a while) and an independent servicer (will cost money but likely much quicker).

Thanks again for the great advice.
Would the warranty be voided if you sent the watch to an independent watchmaker? Does anyone know?
Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 07:03 AM   #24
albmich
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k
Agree w everything said above. Mine ran weird for the first 3 weeks. Give it 40 winds, wear it at least 8 hrs a day, wait another 3-4 weeks. Then reassess
albmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 08:13 AM   #25
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

The OP says it’s a BNIB Watch which (I assume) means a previous owner. If that’s the case, the watch has had time to “adjust”. As others suggested, winding it up completely and then checking it over a few days is a good idea but I’m guessing it won’t change the outcome.
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 08:16 AM   #26
darkside7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C
How are you timing your watch?
Old 22 November 2018, 08:34 AM   #27
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
A watch running consistently slow at -9 seconds equals a minute slow per week; yes, I would send it in. If it was running fast would not be so much of an issue because it would be easier to regulate by simply pulling out the crown; however, if running slow, need to hack the movement to bring on-time.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 09:39 AM   #28
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

I spoke with Rikki at Time Care Inc., and he advised me to send it to the RSC (due to warranty coverage). I’m probably going to hang on to it over the next month or so since the RSC shuts down 12/21 to 1/7 for the holidays and observe the watch over that period and then send it in if it’s still running slow.
Old 22 November 2018, 10:57 AM   #29
Rilz
"TRF" Member

I would also wait for wait a month, it is a new watch it takes time to settle.
Rilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 11:03 AM   #30
gt0279a
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
From what I understand, the modern movements really do not deviate much based on position left overnight vs. the older calibers.
Rolex Sea Dweller 126600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 16600 | Rolex Submariner 16610 | Rolex Submariner 1680
gt0279a is offline   Reply With Quote