The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 November 2018, 02:54 AM   #151
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Imo a judgemental and fairly ignorant statement. You’re of course entitled to your opinion and you’re free to buy from anyone, anywhere anytime, but the same applies to everyone.

I personally enjoyed years of buying watches (SS and PM) at 15, 20 even 30% off. I wasn’t complaining then and I’m not complaining now.

Furthermore, grey dealers sell based on market value, they’re not running charities and they’re not selling bread in a time of famine. They’re selling high demand luxury items and most are operating full time business that put food on the table and clothes on their families backs. If they bought and sold watches at MSRP they wouldn’t be in the business of being in business.

Additionally, many of the pieces you see for sale aren’t necessarilly priced based on the premiums you imagine come down to nothing more than greed. If I sell/trade my Daytona to a trusted seller or gray dealer, believe me I’m not selling it to them for 12.4k. I’m selling based on market value. Then people like you expect to see my Daytona come up for sale at 12.4k!? Haha. That’s laughable. So not you expect these dealers to lose money?

If you’re mad about it, be mad at rolex for holding back distribution, be mad at ADs for hording high demand pieces in their safes, or better yet, don’t be mad at all and realize this is a luxury market and it comes with a price to play the game.

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:58 AM   #152
airpeace
Banned

still go in and express your frustration. they will move you up
airpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 03:54 AM   #153
ian.thomas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I lived in NYC during 2000 & 2001 and from the few times I went into Tourneau NYC I can 100% say I will never purchase from them, even if it was the deal of a life-time.

My firm was paying my living costs so I had money to spend and I was wearing a Sub every time I was in there.

I went in to look at a vintage Oyster Quartz DD, clearly something only a watch-nerd would want. The asking price was around $7k; i.e., not an expensive watch considering the other inventory. I wanted to examine the band stretch and see if it fit but they didn't even take it out of the case although I said I was interested in buying. The two sales reps acted like there were better things to do then talk to me ... and this was in the middle of a weekday with hardly anyone in the store.

Fast forward a few months later and my wife is in town, so we go in to look around. She was also wearing a Rolex, but we were treated the same as when I was in before.

%$#@ that place.

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 04:11 AM   #154
Hands90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekornfeld21 View Post
Hello all,

Just wanted to update this thread. They were able to get me my watch in a month and even held it for a week while i was on vacation! Enjoy your thankgiving everyone !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bought from Tourneau????
Hands90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 04:15 AM   #155
TimingsEverything
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I don't understand how Tourneau stays in business. I've had nothing but bad experiences with them, plus their attitude is horrible. Sorry to hear about the experience that started this thread. Thanks for the update, and congrats on the new watch. Did you get it from Tourneau?
"Every Rolex is made for greatness. The GMT-Master, introduced in 1955, was developed in collaboration with Pan Am to meet the needs of their international pilots. The GMT-Master II has proven to be even more invaluable as it features a rotatable 24-hour graduated bezel that allows those who travel the world to read three different time zones." Rolex.com
TimingsEverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 07:07 AM   #156
XtraCrispy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me closely!
It's stories like this that make me seek out relationships with the actual sales associates, not just the store/AD and not just for watches.

When I was looking to buy my most recent Sub since moving back to the Chicago suburbs (we lived in Phoenix, AZ for 4 years and the Tourneau dealer in Scottsdale was just as bad as others have mentioned), I did go to the Rolex store in the mall - just window shopping with my wife. The SA that approached us once extremely personable, very knowledgable about the Rolex line and simply a 'really nice guy'. We were probably in the store for about 30 or 40 minutes, just talking about the product line, trying on various models. I didn't even let on what I was looking for at first, didn't want any sales pressure which we did not get.

Finally, my wife, knowing I wanted the Bluesy, asked the SA to take it out of the case again and then told him "We'll take this one". Ever since then, I'm in the store a couple of times per month. I now know the sales manager and in the in house watch maker. I've had watches serviced there and have bought other items as well.

You'll do yourself a big favor to set up person-to-person relationships like this to be really well taken care of.
Rolex Submariner TT 116613LB • Tudor 1926 41mm M91650-0005 • Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY201B.FT6150 • Oris Artelier Date OR733-7670-4051LS • Luminox XS.3505.SC • Alpina AlpinerX AL-283LNO5NAQ6L • Steinhart GMT-OCEAN 1 BLUE RED.2 • Casio G Shock GW-5000-1JF
XtraCrispy is offline   Reply With Quote