The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 October 2018, 07:07 AM   #1
TK116710
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710ln
GMT Master ii Strap Recommendations

I have recently been fortunate enough to get a 116710LN from an AD nearby and I love the idea of grabbing a few straps to play with (both for changing up the look and to preserve the bracelet in certain occasions). After trying on an Everest tang-buckle rubber strap and finding it to be too long, I think I've decided to purchase the Rubber B.

I haven't seen very many photos of the 6-digit GMTs on perlons, leather, etc and would love to see any pictures y'all may have of you sporting anything other than the bracelet. Recommendations for high quality brands would also be MUCH appreciated! This is my daily (and only) watch and I'm looking to probably only have 3-4 straps to play with and I want them to match the quality of my Rolex, so money is really no object. Fire away.

Help me find some new looks for my GMT!
TK116710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2018, 07:40 AM   #2
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Congrats on your new GMT. The LN is a great watch and is my daily tool watch.

Regards straps, most people who go down that road all come to the same conclusion......they’re best left on the bracelet. 5 digits aside, I think the newer ceramic 6 digits just need their bracelet.
GMT Aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2018, 07:49 AM   #3
VanAdian
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSOTM
If you are looking to try a bunch of straps (even just to confirm that the bracelet is best for you) I recommend you go the less expensive route. I suggest watchgecko, crown and buckle and strapcode for the affordable straps. You could always go bulong & sons and colareb, everest once you have narrowed it down.

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - B. Russell
VanAdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2018, 08:21 AM   #4
Limestonedan
"TRF" Member

I’d think a black leather “rally strap” white stitching would look great on the LN. In summer, switch it to the black rubber rally strap. I like them on my GMT Master. Strapsco makes inexpensive leather and rubber rally straps in multiple colors. The rubber Breitling 20mm Rally strap might look great as well.
Limestonedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2018, 08:37 AM   #5
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
I will dig up some pics. Most will be 4 digit Subs and GMT's. I have a decent strap collection but honestly have not put a strap on a 6 digit watch in 2 years. Last was a blue Everest on my 16613LB.

Bulang and Sons are my favorite straps. Lots of good options out there. Jankoxx makes great shell condovan straps and usually has them listed here in the classifieds. On 6 digit watches the little end links that work with straps look better IMO. The thinner vintage cases work well with straps but with the height/thickness of modern Rolex, the end links fill in the gap.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2018, 08:38 AM   #6
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Hard to imagine it on anything other than an oyster or jubilee bracelet. A friend at work tried his 116610 on a rubberB for a week. It was OK but..

NATO or Tropic perhaps?
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2018, 09:22 AM   #7
cajerseyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me find "the one"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
Congrats on your new GMT. The LN is a great watch and is my daily tool watch.

Regards straps, most people who go down that road all come to the same conclusion......they’re best left on the bracelet. 5 digits aside, I think the newer ceramic 6 digits just need their bracelet.

I agree with this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 October 2018, 12:30 PM   #8
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

I wear mine on a croc strap, and if you Google it you'll find plenty of pics of the GMT on a strap.

However, be aware that on ceramic models the lug holes are very close to the case, which doesn't leave a lot of room. A thick strap will not fit. For a more average strap, you'll need to put something over the sharp case edge to keep it from abrading the strap (a unobtrusive piece of foil tape or something similar will do it). A dressy strap should fit fine. Or you can just go for a strap with a fitted end (From Rubber B or Everest, for example), but those are expensive.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2018, 02:05 PM   #9
bmrisko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many...
I've got a Square Lumberjack strap from Bulang & Sons/JPM. I think the fact that it doesn't taper works well on the chunkier LN case. They aren't cheap, but it is definitely one of the softest leather straps I've ever owned and required no break-in. I'm also using curved spring bars to keep the strap away from the case.

Yes, the oyster bracelet can't be beat, but playing around with leather options is fun when the weather gets cooler.

bmrisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 01:48 AM   #10
TK116710
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the pictures and responses. As many stated, I won' be shocked to discover the oyster bracelet may be the one and only home for the watch. That being said, I may try to grab a few straps to test the waters.

Cheers!
Old 1 November 2018, 02:35 AM   #11
Yuri.Popov
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner C
This is my favorite rubber combo on that reference. On the leather I really like the ones from worn and wound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2018-10-31 12.16.43 copy.jpg (154.1 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2018-10-31 12.31.43 copy.jpg (247.0 KB, 326 views)
Yuri.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 04:02 AM   #12
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK116710 View Post
Thanks for all the pictures and responses. As many stated, I won' be shocked to discover the oyster bracelet may be the one and only home for the watch. That being said, I may try to grab a few straps to test the waters.

Cheers!
I have had the 116710LN for about 3 months and only took it off the oyster bracelet earlier this week for the first time... I put it on a black NATO strap, which I love, but it honestly wasn't as good as the bracelet. I think the heft of the watch head is balanced by the steel bracelet. Plus, the tight tolerances between the spring bars and case make it difficult to swap straps, which I like to do on a daily basis with my other watches... So, I put it back on the bracelet.

I am waiting for Everest to come back out with their fitted nylon strap, as I think it will be the most comfortable for me. I don't think a rubber Everest looks right on the GMT, but that's just my opinion. I'd love to find a dark brown strap with green stitching to match the green arrow hand, but I've been unsuccessful to this point.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 04:19 AM   #13
VanAdian
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSOTM
Something like this in 20mm?
http://brownstrap.com/brown-watch-st...g-for-panerai/

or:
http://test2.miltat.com/mt-les6q03-b...8116.html.html

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - B. Russell
VanAdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 05:42 AM   #14
bmrisko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many...
I believe this is JPM's direct site, based in Italy.

They have a lot of pics of various straps on the LN here.

https://www.instagram.com/vintagestraps/
bmrisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2018, 06:06 AM   #15
TK116710
"TRF" Member

Thanks, bmrisko! This is great!
Old 1 November 2018, 07:13 AM   #16
myasay
"TRF" Member

Congrats on your GMT. It is a very beautiful watch. For me, the GMT belongs on the bracelet and bracelet alone. Enjoy your new watch!
myasay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 04:09 AM   #17
TK116710
"TRF" Member

I ended up purchasing a Rubber B (Everest strap was a bit too long for my smaller wrists). I also had the shop put on a green alligator strap which I thought looked phenomenal. A little pricey, so I’m going to enjoy the Rubber B for now. It is amazing how this watch takes on a completely different personality with the addition of these straps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk