The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 16 May 2020, 06:23 PM   #1
newenglandpatriot
"TRF" Member

I HAD a MB rollerball, does the ballpoint last longer and write better?

I have found that my fisher space pens write and last way longer then my rollerball did, as yes I was using orig. refills. any experience with the fountain pens? pros and cons?
newenglandpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 09:43 PM   #2
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I have a fineline a ball point and a number of fountain pens. I believe that the fineline and rollerball cartridges are interchangeable. I love the way that the fineline writes. I have a couple of rollerball cartridges which I need to give a try but haven't so far. As far as fountains are concerned I'm in the cartridge converter/pump loader camp. I like the way I can easily switch inks and the ink choices are great with the fountain pens as well. Ink cost is also better with the fountain pens as far as I can tell. Also bottled ink last forever. Even when dehydrated it can be reconstituted. For me I also find writing with the fineline and fountains easier on the hand. I've also got a space pen which I carry in my pocket with my Ridge wallet. It just isn't in the same league imho.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 10:17 PM   #3
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am a huge fan of Mont Blanc and have several of the pens. I prefer the Rollerball for writing as the Ballpoint is not as smooth to me. The ink flies out of the Rollerball and it seems sometimes I am replacing the cartridge all the time. I went with what I prefer and if I was worried about refills then I would use another more economical pen.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 10:55 AM   #4
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Yes ballpoints last way way longer. It's one of the reasons I use them. They don't dry out anywhere near as quick, the ink is permanent, and any paper is okay with ballpoint, most paper can't handle rollerball/fountain pen... For actual writing purposes I use a fountain pen but only on Clairefontaine or Montblanc paper...
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 11:47 PM   #5
opaline460
"TRF" Member

Ballpoint last forever, Rollerball feel better n cost more.
opaline460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 12:08 AM   #6
twall3
"TRF" Member

I have both, but prefer the ballpoint. The rollerball ink requires nicer paper, otherwise it bleeds and feathers due to the shear quantity of ink that it lays down. It's okay if you're doing some serious writing on your own paper, but if you need a pen to keep in your pocket for whatever comes up - the ballpoint is more versatile in my view. FWIW, you can buy a plastic spacer that allows you to use a ballpoint cartridge in the rollerball pen barrel. Just google "Rollerball to Ballpoint Pen Converter Montblanc." That'd let you try it out before fully committing.
twall3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 10:42 AM   #7
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twall3 View Post
I have both, but prefer the ballpoint. The rollerball ink requires nicer paper, otherwise it bleeds and feathers due to the shear quantity of ink that it lays down. It's okay if you're doing some serious writing on your own paper, but if you need a pen to keep in your pocket for whatever comes up - the ballpoint is more versatile in my view. FWIW, you can buy a plastic spacer that allows you to use a ballpoint cartridge in the rollerball pen barrel. Just google "Rollerball to Ballpoint Pen Converter Montblanc." That'd let you try it out before fully committing.
Thank you for the tip re converter... and yes I use BP most because I can't always control the quality of the paper I need to write on.
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2020, 10:08 AM   #8
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
MB roller balls are infamous for going dry prematurely. However they can be refilled with bottled ink and a syringe. Good luck!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote