The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 9 September 2010, 12:40 PM   #31
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
Amazing pickup Thanks for sharing with us and big congrats.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2010, 01:07 PM   #32
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1957 View Post

Quote:
Thank you Tommy for all of your kind words. They only made 140 of the 5218-202/A, total. Of the very rare non-matching dials there is supposedly only 30 to 40 non matching dials (no one knows for sure) split up between the 201/A and the 202/A watches. And this particular 202/A is even rarer as it is one of 20 that were officially delivered and owned by the Italian Navy's Marina Miliare unit, now that, Tommy, is real history. True Richemont did not have anthing to do with this watch but due to recently falling profits (3 months ago) at Richemont, I don't doubt they will copy this one as well but that would not chaff me, at least I know I own the original.
It is still an overpriced watch for what it is. Who cares about the Navy thingy...why pay $60K+ for "history"? It is still a Panerai model that you can buy for $6700 in the new PAM 360 and arguably it has more of an interesting history. I am glad you bought into Richemont's hyping the past. If Richemont did not purchase Panerai...do you honestly think your watch would be worth more than a few thousand? I would say instead of knocking Richemont...you should praise them. If you are so negative on Panerai's future...then I am dumbfounded that you would spend that much money on "hype"....if Panerai goes in the toilet...your new purchase will follow it down the drain.

So be careful for what you wish for! Waiting for your clever reply...I am sure it has to do with Original and history...all things Richemont has mastered in its hype!
Tommysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2010, 01:15 PM   #33
destrow
"TRF" Member

thanks for sharing. i've never seen one THAT complete. nice to see it going to a true pam guy.
destrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2010, 01:17 PM   #34
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Seriously guys, the thought is appreciated but lay off of Tommy, he is welcome to his opinion.
His words are foolish and simple minded to say the least.

Congrats on a rare piece of history.... and a beautiful timepiece.
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2010, 01:27 PM   #35
mike
"TRF" Member

Robert, may I extend my congrats as well.

I for one do feel history and rarity are vital factors. Nicely done.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2010, 01:29 PM   #36
Watchman1957
Banned

Watch: 201/A 202/A PreA9
Chris, Anthony, Marc, Mantooth, Mark, Joe, Duke, Lino, Buz, Tommy, Destrow, Pav and Mike Thank you all for the well wishes, I am somewhat overwhelmed by this watch and I am already choosing the next strap to put on it (other than the Pre-V original) and wear it during the next few days. Next, I'll post some wrist shots.
Watchman1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2010, 01:37 PM   #37
Watchman1957
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysol View Post
It is still an overpriced watch for what it is. Who cares about the Navy thingy...why pay $60K+ for "history"? It is still a Panerai model that you can buy for $6700 in the new PAM 360 and arguably it has more of an interesting history. I am glad you bought into Richemont's hyping the past. If Richemont did not purchase Panerai...do you honestly think your watch would be worth more than a few thousand? I would say instead of knocking Richemont...you should praise them. If you are so negative on Panerai's future...then I am dumbfounded that you would spend that much money on "hype"....if Panerai goes in the toilet...your new purchase will follow it down the drain.

So be careful for what you wish for! Waiting for your clever reply...I am sure it has to do with Original and history...all things Richemont has mastered in its hype!
Tommy, I know in the past, here on TRF, you have referred to yourself as a watch collector, so your obvious ignorance as too the true rarity of a non-matching dial and the history it represents, and that it was one a few, that was actullay puchased by and delivered to it's namesake, the Italian Navy's Marina Militare. If you were a real collector you would recognise the true value and what this watch represents and when you post as you do and do not at least acknowledge these rarities truly dumbfounds me. I certainly hope it is not jealousy rearing it's ugly head.
Old 9 September 2010, 01:39 PM   #38
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Just beautiful! Congrats on the superb acquisition. Never give malicious envy the time of day!
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2010, 02:39 PM   #39
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

I - like many here I am sure, find understanding the history of the brand and the watches a major part of the fun.
Grand Seiko
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2010, 02:46 PM   #40
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Tommy, I know in the past, here on TRF, you have referred to yourself as a watch collector, so your obvious ignorance as too the true rarity of a non-matching dial and the history it represents, and that it was one a few, that was actullay puchased by and delivered to it's namesake, the Italian Navy's Marina Militare. If you were a real collector you would recognise the true value and what this watch represents and when you post as you do and do not at least acknowledge these rarities truly dumbfounds me. I certainly hope it is not jealousy rearing it's ugly head.
All I can say is... whatever goes up...must come down. You will learn that in the future...not now. If you really think buying this watch at $60K + is a good investment at this point...you are fooling yourself. I bought 5 PAM 249's at $6500 and sold them at $13500...that is an investment...all in 2 years. If you think the watch will go up 100% in the next 2 years..then I will be surprised. You my friend..are a "late stage" buyer and will never reap the benefits that you seek. BTW..regardless of all your "history" espousing..it is still a simple watch....that has absolutely nothing to do with Panerai's military history...it is just a 17 year old watch that you and other collectors think is historical. As I said...if Panerai fails as you predict...then you will see it is just another watch in their storied and failed history.

You have a nice watch...no doubt...but not at $60K +

Best of luck to you. I hope I am wrong...that means that all Panerai's will increase in value. Just because I do not buy into the ultra-hype you do over 17 year old watches...does not mean I am not a serious collector. I wear every watch I own and am not afraid of scratching the PVD finish. I thing my idea of investment is different than yours...I use my watches...not like you that likes to keep pieces in your safe...for future value increases.
Old 9 September 2010, 03:08 PM   #41
Watchman1957
Banned

Quote:
All I can say is... whatever goes up...must come down. You will learn that in the future...not now. If you really think buying this watch at $60K + is a good investment at this point...you are fooling yourself. I bought 5 PAM 249's at $6500 and sold them at $13500...that is an investment...all in 2 years. If you think the watch will go up 100% in the next 2 years..then I will be surprised. You my friend..are a "late stage" buyer and will never reap the benefits that you seek. BTW..regardless of all your "history" espousing..it is still a simple watch....that has absolutely nothing to do with Panerai's military history...it is just a 17 year old watch that you and other collectors think is historical. As I said...if Panerai fails as you predict...then you will see it is just another watch in their storied and failed history.

You have a nice watch...no doubt...but not at $60K +

Best of luck to you. I hope I am wrong...that means that all Panerai's will increase in value. Just because I do not buy into the ultra-hype you do over 17 year old watches...does not mean I am not a serious collector. I wear every watch I own and am not afraid of scratching the PVD finish. I thing my idea of investment is different than yours...I use my watches...not like you that likes to keep pieces in your safe...for future value increases.

Tommy, I bought the watch because of what it represents, becuase of the history and originality, not as an investment, I bought it because I wanted it and have never bought a watch (of all things) as an investment.

I bought gold at per kilo prices in 05 and 06 as an investment, the same with silver and currencies other than the USD. I buy land in Jakarta since it is an excellent investment and will always go up.

Why would you ever think I bought this watch as an investment?
Old 9 September 2010, 04:44 PM   #42
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

I call BS on you Robert...

Quote:
Tommy, I bought the watch because of what it represents, becuase of the history and originality, not as an investment, I bought it because I wanted it and have never bought a watch (of all things) as an investment.

I bought gold at per kilo prices in 05 and 06 as an investment, the same with silver and currencies other than the USD. I buy land in Jakarta since it is an excellent investment and will always go up.

Why would you ever think I bought this watch as an investment?

Sorry...you spent your hard-earned money on a fickle thing like a $60K watch...how silly of me to think you would have bought it for investment! I know you bought it as an investment...because otherwise you would not lecture me and the rest of the forum on how prices are falling on non pre-V watches and that pre-V watches are the "one's to buy". Please explain why you are always talking about watch prices...to the point you include sales posts in your "lectures" posts. You my man..are the height of hypocrisy and I am done dealing with your egotistical BS. Enjoy your watch and all it represents to you. So sorry to insult you..I will just assume that you buy watches with no regard to value. The whole idea of being a collector is to look at values and what they represent. If you were so keen to the market...you would have bought the watch 10 years ago for $5K because it was one of 20, the Italian Navy BS, unmatching hands etc etc etc etc...

Sorry Robert..you are just a phony putting down other forum member's purchases in the hope of making your watches look more collectable. Shame on you for being a hypocritical self-centered jerk!
Old 9 September 2010, 05:05 PM   #43
Watchman1957
Banned

Quote:
Sorry...you spent your hard-earned money on a fickle thing like a $60K watch...how silly of me to think you would have bought it for investment! I know you bought it as an investment...because otherwise you would not lecture me and the rest of the forum on how prices are falling on non pre-V watches and that pre-V watches are the "one's to buy". Please explain why you are always talking about watch prices...to the point you include sales posts in your "lectures" posts. You my man..are the height of hypocrisy and I am done dealing with your egotistical BS. Enjoy your watch and all it represents to you. So sorry to insult you..I will just assume that you buy watches with no regard to value. The whole idea of being a collector is to look at values and what they represent. If you were so keen to the market...you would have bought the watch 10 years ago for $5K because it was one of 20, the Italian Navy BS, unmatching hands etc etc etc etc...

Sorry Robert..you are just a phony putting down other forum member's purchases in the hope of making your watches look more collectable. Shame on you for being a hypocritical self-centered jerk!

You know so little of me too speak to me in such a way. I beleive in real investments such a gold & silver and land. I still own everytihng I bought back in 2005/2006 but it looks like my silver may go up higher than the gold on a percentage basis.

Don't take it out me your short-comings and your insecurities, you came ot this thread with nothing in mind but preach too me and put me down.
Old 9 September 2010, 05:11 PM   #44
TheLino
Retired

Wow.

There might be more history between Watchman1957 and Tommysol than is wrapped up in that Marina Militare...

Kinda' makes me wanna' buy a Panerai to commemorate this post! lol
TheLino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2010, 05:14 PM   #45
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLino View Post
Wow.

There might be more history between Watchman1957 and Tommysol than is wrapped up in that Marina Militare...

Yes, just hope the thread doesn't get too ugly.

To the OP: Beautiful watch - congrats!!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2010, 05:17 PM   #46
Sweramic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Movies
I really like the look of this watch. Big congrats my friend!
Sweramic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2010, 05:20 PM   #47
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Don't take it out me your short-comings and your insecurities, you came ot this thread with nothing in mind but preach too me and put me down.

A little of your own medicine shouldn't hurt you right?

Enjoy your watch...it is rare...that is for sure! But $60K+ is a lot of money to spend on a $2K watch 15 years ago....you have to admit that at least?

Peace!

Old 9 September 2010, 05:21 PM   #48
Watchman1957
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLino View Post
Wow.

Yes as I said in an earlier post, we do have some history between us. I spoke my mind but never intended any of it to get personal. Tommy came to this thread with only one thing on his mind. No biggie, at least we now know Tommy fancies himself a mind reader of me, on the other side of the world from California, not a very good one but a mind reader all the same.
Old 9 September 2010, 06:24 PM   #49
manhatan
"TRF" Member

Ouch, suberb watch. The dial and index color are amazing. Thanks for your photos.
Congrats and enjoy.
manhatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2010, 08:46 PM   #50
mike
"TRF" Member

Let's keep it civil. I'd rather not lock an otherwise excellent thread.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2010, 11:03 PM   #51
andrew79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
congrats robert ! way to go....

hm and about you and Tommy, i'd rather see it solved civilized :)
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2010, 11:37 PM   #52
Carlos98326194
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing YOU!
Quote:
Thank you Tommy for all of your kind words. They only made 140 of the 5218-202/A, total. Of the very rare non-matching dials there is supposedly only 30 to 40 non matching dials (no one knows for sure) split up between the 201/A and the 202/A watches. And this particular 202/A is even rarer as it is one of 20 that were officially delivered and owned by the Italian Navy's Marina Miliare unit, now that, Tommy, is real history. True Richemont did not have anthing to do with this watch but due to recently falling profits (3 months ago) at Richemont, I don't doubt they will copy this one as well but that would not chaff me, at least I know I own the original.
That is probably the classiest reply I have ever read......
You are full of Class and a true Gentleman Robert
Please don't bother to go low with some

HUGE CONGRATS!
Old 10 September 2010, 12:30 AM   #53
mfer
"TRF" Member

I guess I know why Tommy isn't welcome on another forum. Really classy man.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2010, 12:38 AM   #54
chrisok

Watch: Rolex,PAM
LOVE that watch! Congrats!
chrisok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2010, 04:50 AM   #55
hsrdoc
"TRF" Member

Great watch! Congratulations!
hsrdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2010, 05:47 AM   #56
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
I guess I know why Tommy isn't welcome on another forum. Really classy man.

So you like the way you were recently treated on that "classy" forum. You need to look back on Robert's past posts towards me...to see that I was not the instigator of this whole cat fight.
Old 10 September 2010, 06:57 AM   #57
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So you like the way you were recently treated on that "classy" forum. You need to look back on Robert's past posts towards me...to see that I was not the instigator of this whole cat fight.
Its not the forum that is bad, it is bad apples that are bad. Watchron and now, you.

This is my last post towards you and I will not discuss it further. You are officially on my ignore list. You can do the same to me.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2010, 09:24 AM   #58
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
Quote:
Cool story bro.........
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2010, 11:47 AM   #59
wehttaM
"TRF" Member

Awesome watch! The combo is spectacular!!
wehttaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2010, 12:49 PM   #60
NEW
"TRF" Member

Watch: MANY
How much would you spend on yourself? Better yet how much do you think your happiness is worth?
NEW is offline   Reply With Quote