The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 28 October 2011, 02:07 PM   #91
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolr View Post
I chuckle at those who would say it doesn't matter what the movement in a watch with solid case back is or looks like, just as long as it tells time and the watch looks good on the outside. To me, that's not having an appreciation for a brand and it's standards and unique qualities. Rather, to me that is the very description of a fashion watch.
Panerai doing absolutely nothing to to the base 6497, not even stamping their name on it, while touting it as an exclusive movement is IMO disgraceful. That it has been used in only 150 watches doesn't make it better. Let's hope it's the last time they use it.
I also wonder how those who minimize the use of the OP XXIX would feel if they found a similarly decorated and unmodified movement in their PAM005, 000 etc..
it might not be used in any other Panerai but it is certainly used in thoudsands upon thousand of other watches ranging from $150- $1500. P.S These other watches usually at least have a slight decoration to them too

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
Old 28 October 2011, 04:53 PM   #92
andrew79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I am disappointed to see that, but disgrace ? I don't think so. I mean, they should go an extra mile to satisfy the loyal customers, but it seems they are trying to squeeze more profit margin instead. Pure business strategy by sacrificing some details.....
Old 28 October 2011, 05:17 PM   #93
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Nasty. But I still want a 88.
Old 28 October 2011, 05:30 PM   #94
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
I am disappointed to see that, but disgrace ? I don't think so. I mean, they should go an extra mile to satisfy the loyal customers, but it seems they are trying to squeeze more profit margin instead. Pure business strategy by sacrificing some details.....
IMHO, I think it is pretty disgraceful to the brand and all its fans.

It's like buying an Aston Martin (with lots of history) and putting a Ford engine with no modification in there.

The Ford engine is a reliable workhorse but where is the pride and respect to the Aston Martin's brand?

The guy on the street might care less when they buy the DB9, but to the Aston car lover, they will be shocked just like for the average Panerai WIS fan...2 cents :)
Old 28 October 2011, 08:14 PM   #95
bicismith
"TRF" Member

Watch: 249 & SD
the car analogy seems flawed. the movement in question performs fine while the car engine changes the performance of the vehicle. maybe it should be the other way around, putting a ferrari engine in a honda civic body, and turn the car inside out if you must.

at first the undecorated movement bothered me, but then i remembered why i like panerai in the first place - it design. it would be nice if that design could be had for a lot less $.

i have a 380 and am curious how its movement looks.
Old 28 October 2011, 11:34 PM   #96
snog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicismith View Post
the car analogy seems flawed. the movement in question performs fine while the car engine changes the performance of the vehicle. maybe it should be the other way around, putting a ferrari engine in a honda civic body, and turn the car inside out if you must.

at first the undecorated movement bothered me, but then i remembered why i like panerai in the first place - it design. it would be nice if that design could be had for a lot less $.

i have a 380 and am curious how its movement looks.
it's not just a case of the lack of decoration,the ETA movements that come decorated have other improvements,better parts are used,the finish is of a higher quality,the PR is longer,they can have swan neck adjustment,they are tested to a higher level and are adjusted to more positions,so to think the difference is only on looks would be wrong,some people may use the term "decorated movement" and mean just that,a movement that looks better, I would think most though also realise the better looking ETA movements don't just look better but perform better,so I would say the car analogy in this case was a good one.
Old 28 October 2011, 11:57 PM   #97
bicismith
"TRF" Member

Watch: 249 & SD
fair enough. i did not realize it was any different than the other eta they used, just that it was not decorated.
Old 29 October 2011, 12:04 AM   #98
HarryGoodman

Watch: Pre V
The other thing that is a disgrace, is how long this thread has gone on. Nothing personal but this is Richemont we are talking about, not Panerai, they are money hungry little boys who could not design something original if their life depended on it, so they just continue to take the old Panerai Firenze designs and make a change or 2 and all of sudden you hear that cry from the masses, oh it has the DNA, oh I love the DNA, Richemont has done it again!!!
Old 29 October 2011, 12:27 AM   #99
snog
"TRF" Member

missed your question on the 380 movement,not sure but I would very much think it looks similar to the Pam 111 movement,as it has the same modifications as that movement, so can't see any reason why it would look much different,that movement has all the improvements I talk about,and I believe is the top class ETA movement as it has a COSC, so is not one of these we are talking about here,nice watch btw
Old 29 October 2011, 02:21 AM   #100
jacksonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
This is a major screw-up in my book, without a proper explanation or excuse from Panerai this is not the type of brand I will be spending my money on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
And having said all of this, I still want a 372 if I can get my hands on one! :-)
So which one is it, bro? Not sure why you're even reading this subsection if you really mean what you say. Or do you just like to stir stuff?
Old 29 October 2011, 02:52 AM   #101
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
So which one is it, bro? Not sure why you're even reading this subsection if you really mean what you say. Or do you just like to stir stuff?
Watch your mouth.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Old 29 October 2011, 03:14 AM   #102
jacksonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
Watch your mouth.
You being funny?
Old 29 October 2011, 03:20 AM   #103
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
Lots of overreaction and excuse for haters to jump on Panerai for a snafu on a whole 150 watches. Was the same outrage given when J. Dowling popped the back on the Exp I which tens of thousands were made?
what is the J.Dowling story my friend?
Old 29 October 2011, 03:28 AM   #104
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You being funny?
No.

How can you present the argument in a manner that you did, and have the bollocks to accuse someone else of stirring stuff?

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Old 29 October 2011, 03:31 AM   #105
nc42acc
"TRF" Member

Watch: out!!!!!
IBTL!!!!
Old 29 October 2011, 03:34 AM   #106
jacksonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
No.

How can you present the argument in a manner that you did, and have the bollocks to accuse someone else of stirring stuff?
a) I wasn't talking to you. I don't know you and you don't know me, so are you his big brother?

b) he has no problem making bold inflammatory statements about the brand on one page and then says the complete opposite on the next page. So it was a legitimate question in all respects.

c) because I got bollocks
Old 29 October 2011, 03:49 AM   #107
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
a) I wasn't talking to you. I don't know you and you don't know me, so are you his big brother?

Not a 'big brother', not a stranger either. Most of us do share a common bond, and a big part of it is mutual respect

b) he has no problem making bold inflammatory statements about the brand on one page and then says the complete opposite on the next page. So it was a legitimate question in all respects.

The thread was critical of a popular brand (rightfully so, IMO) to begin with, which will inevitably lead to difference in opinions. You made it personal, to which I will say one more time for those tuning in: watch your mouth.

As far as having conflicting views - why is it so hard to understand? Is everything black and white in your world? Because I despise a leopard Daytona and will rip it every chance I get, does it mean I will never consider another Rolex? Look up - "rhetorical".
?

c) because I got bollocks

just keep in mind that someone with bigger ones is always just around the corner.
answers in bold above.

Old 29 October 2011, 03:57 AM   #108
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Too much bollocks in this thread.

Closed for maintenance.