The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 24 October 2008, 08:01 AM   #31
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: All things Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkRolex View Post
In my city both Rolex ADs carry PAMs. I think that are as easily available as Rolex. I dont know why are they called exclusive. They are just out numbered multiple times by Rolex due to the popularity.
Ok, please get me any of the following current models 292, 26, 317, 311, 322, 307

Warren Buffett
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 08:02 AM   #32
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchman View Post
Ok, please get me any of the following current models 292, 26, 317, 311, 322, 307

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 08:04 AM   #33
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkRolex View Post
In my city both Rolex ADs carry PAMs. I think that are as easily available as Rolex. I dont know why are they called exclusive. They are just out numbered multiple times by Rolex due to the popularity.
Not even close.
I have been patiently waiting for a couple of Pannies to make it to my AD. I know they are coming, but while I have been waiting, numerous SS Daytona's , GMT's, All 3 Milgauses and others have been offered to me.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 04:41 PM   #34
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
Not even close.
I have been patiently waiting for a couple of Pannies to make it to my AD. I know they are coming, but while I have been waiting, numerous SS Daytona's , GMT's, All 3 Milgauses and others have been offered to me.
Too right! Not even close to as available.

In the same class is up to the buyer....for me Rolex isn't close, YMMV!

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 04:48 PM   #35
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Completely different brackets, guys......here ya go!!

{ROLEX}

[PANERAI]

End of story!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2008, 04:51 PM   #36
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post

{ROLEX}

[PANERAI]

End of story!!

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2008, 12:37 AM   #37
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post

{ROLEX}

[PANERAI]

End of story!!
Hear what Mr. TRF said.
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2008, 03:16 PM   #38
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
AS much as I like Panerais, I would have to say they are not in the same class. Why? Because all the world over most people know of Rolex, as a high end well made watch. Most people have never heard of Panerai, out of WIS circles, and big cities. Also, Rolex has a much more solid and diverse history than Panerai, and has been associated with many military units/operations, expeditions, research, humanitarian and art endeavors. Panerai has a very small history compartively. I do not think Panerai will ever get close to the class and reputation that Rolex has, as the leader in the Watch world and in the general public's perception.

Now in terms of quality, there are some Panerai that equal or exceed that of Rolex and many other Panerais that lag behind Rolex. In terms of price, yes Panerai are roughly in the same class. But overall, even though I prefer wearing a Panerai over a Rolex for several reasons, I would say they will not get to that point that Rolex has acheived overall.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2008, 04:36 PM   #39
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
AS much as I like Panerais, I would have to say they are not in the same class. Why? Because all the world over most people know of Rolex, as a high end well made watch. Most people have never heard of Panerai, out of WIS circles, and big cities. Also, Rolex has a much more solid and diverse history than Panerai, and has been associated with many military units/operations, expeditions, research, humanitarian and art endeavors. Panerai has a very small history compartively. I do not think Panerai will ever get close to the class and reputation that Rolex has, as the leader in the Watch world and in the general public's perception.

Now in terms of quality, there are some Panerai that equal or exceed that of Rolex and many other Panerais that lag behind Rolex. In terms of price, yes Panerai are roughly in the same class. But overall, even though I prefer wearing a Panerai over a Rolex for several reasons, I would say they will not get to that point that Rolex has acheived overall.
Good point, Chad!!!
Old 25 October 2008, 05:38 PM   #40
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
Quote:

No watch company can reach the public perception that Rolex have achieved, it's impossible, if you asked most people in the streets to pick their idea of a luxury watch then more than half would say Rolex, if you made them pick between Patek, VC, AP, JLC and Rolex again i'd bet Rolex would end up in the number 1 position with most not knowing what Patek, Vacheron, Audemars or Jaeger were.

I think Panerai have put themselves into a place where they want to be, a limited number produced each year and using word of mouth and a few product placements to get their sales pitch across the WIS World.

As for quality, well at this price point all watches are quality, Rolex has a workmanlike appearance with the sports watches but everything about them are quality, the finish, the movement, the way it all goes together and then the rest of the Rolex collection again shows true quality with the finish and look. Panerai again have that quality finish, they rework the movement to get what they want and make sure the complete package is as good as they can make it.

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2008, 05:41 PM   #41
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:

May Panerai never reach where Rolex are.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2008, 06:40 PM   #42
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argee1977 View Post
No watch company can reach the public perception that Rolex have achieved, it's impossible, if you asked most people in the streets to pick their idea of a luxury watch then more than half would say Rolex, if you made them pick between Patek, VC, AP, JLC and Rolex again i'd bet Rolex would end up in the number 1 position with most not knowing what Patek, Vacheron, Audemars or Jaeger were.

I think Panerai have put themselves into a place where they want to be, a limited number produced each year and using word of mouth and a few product placements to get their sales pitch across the WIS World.

As for quality, well at this price point all watches are quality, Rolex has a workmanlike appearance with the sports watches but everything about them are quality, the finish, the movement, the way it all goes together and then the rest of the Rolex collection again shows true quality with the finish and look. Panerai again have that quality finish, they rework the movement to get what they want and make sure the complete package is as good as they can make it.
Spoke to the Panerai AD.They were thinking about getting the Rolex agency.They had pro's and con's and asked my opinion....

Knowing all the Rolex ADs in the area and the Rolex market in their area well,from my Rolex days ... My opinion:

Getting Rolex to sell,means you will sell watches.
Selling Rolex doesnt give you exclusivity,because you have to compete,with +10 ADs,in the same city.
So what happens ? Its a cut throat business.All ADs "out discount" each other to a very low profit margin.So,you sell,but at low profit.
Also,by getting Rolex as a brand,to sell,you open yourself to theft/robbery.The stores thats "hit" as a rule are the Rolex ADs.Period.

Is it worth it ,considering they carry all the Richemont brands ? That was the question.They thought along the same lines as I did.

Old 25 October 2008, 09:00 PM   #43
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Very simple ...

Take any Rolex,place it next to a PAM ..... and the Rolex looks lost.

With respect, this statement is totally inaccurate. 40mm Yacht Master can hold it's own against 44mm Panerai & I bet the 43mm Deep Sea can as well.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg YM & Panerai.jpg (79.6 KB, 352 views)

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2008, 09:07 PM   #44
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
The quantity made per year is astonishing in that it will take Panerai about 23 years to make what Rolex produces in 1???

I don't know how they stay in business.
Richard, Panerai are not that exclusive. They use the trick of producing a watch where they "invent" a limited series. For example, they will make a Sub model. Panerai will produce the A series in a "limited" run of 1500, then a B series in a limited run of 1500, then a C series of 1500, etc. By the time you get to a J series, that's quite a few watches. There may be some minor changes, but will basically be the same. The genuine limited editions are models like the 203 & they really are limited (150)

www.cheetah.org

Last edited by Tony-GB; 25 October 2008 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: .
Old 25 October 2008, 09:12 PM   #45
toph
"TRF" Member

Tony you are right but Panerai produce 40000 watches worldwide, i have been told by what i would see as a, very reliable source. Rolex over 1,000,000. So that seems pretty exclusive to me.

Furthmore I have been informed that there are approx 1000 new Panerai's imported for sale in the UK each year. Probably 1000 a week with rolex.

And all this is from a manager of One of the top AD chains.

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
Old 25 October 2008, 09:27 PM   #46
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
Tony you are right but Panerai produce 40000 watches worldwide, i have been told by what i would see as a, very reliable source. Rolex over 1,000,000. So that seems pretty exclusive to me.

Furthmore I have been informed that there are approx 1000 new Panerai's imported for sale in the UK each year. Probably 1000 a week with rolex.

And all this is from a manager of One of the top AD chains.

Hi Christopher

To me, 40,000 isn't exclusive. Ennebi produce 200 - 300 per year. I would say that is exclusive. Bonati states he want to be as good as Rolex, so you can bet your fillings if he could sell a million a year he would.

Just to be clear: I'm not knocking Panerai at all. I had one but shifted it & got another Rolex. It wasn't for me for a couple of reasons that Paneristi's openly acknowledge. But I like to keep this invented Panerai vs Rolex battle into context.

There seems to be an antagonistic thought process on a Panerai site that loves to knock Rolex, mostly based on the sales figures. But when these people are reminded that Rolex is the Mother & Father of Panerai, strangely nobody replies...

Even the little lever that keeps the crown in place is questionable by watch officianado's. Ennebi uses that same process but without the lever...

The main bugbear that comes across with Panerai fans is that Rolex aren't exclusive & they seem to be seeking a little exclusivity.

www.cheetah.org
Old 25 October 2008, 09:42 PM   #47
toph
"TRF" Member

I agree with you, I certainly am not knocking rolex at all. But Exclusive, i suppose is a matter of personal definition. Is Panerai exclusive compared to Ennebi , then no , but compared to rolex, with under 5% of the production then i would say yes.

The main bugbear that comes across with Panerai fans is that Rolex aren't exclusive & they seem to be seeking a little exclusivity.

That is probably true. Just because they say this does not mean it is true. I love rolex first and foremost but in my opinion Panerai is more exclusive by default due to production numbers (especially in the UK)

Member No.# 11795
Old 25 October 2008, 09:45 PM   #48
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree with you, I certainly am not knocking rolex at all. But Exclusive, i suppose is a matter of personal definition. Is Panerai exclusive compared to Ennebi , then no , but compared to rolex, with under 5% of the production then i would say yes.

That is probably true. Just because they say this does not mean it is true. I love rolex first and foremost but in my opinion Panerai is more exclusive by default due to production numbers (especially in the UK)
There's only way Panerai will ever become as reputable as Rolex- when JJ spends money on one!

www.cheetah.org
Old 25 October 2008, 09:48 PM   #49
toph
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
There's only way Panerai will ever become as reputable as Rolex- when JJ spends money on one!
that will be the day

Member No.# 11795
Old 25 October 2008, 10:38 PM   #50
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
With respect, this statement is totally inaccurate. 40mm Yacht Master can hold it's own against 44mm Panerai & I bet the 43mm Deep Sea can as well.

In a table shot the Rollies are always on the fringes, with the PAMs taking centre stage.

...as for the Deeper seas dweller ?...I say,awfully smallish dial for a larger, by Rolex standards,casing. I'm not going to say anything about the inscriptions .........

203 in this picture,unequal dial base and 195 too,127,two 249s,289,231,242,104 ... Yummy !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1622.JPG (81.1 KB, 353 views)
Old 25 October 2008, 10:49 PM   #51
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:

Your collection?
Old 25 October 2008, 11:10 PM   #52
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trurolexer View Post
Your collection?
I WISH!

www.cheetah.org
Old 25 October 2008, 11:21 PM   #53
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
Quote:

Ah, i can't agree with this, i've got a 40mm PAM and a Sub LV, the PAM looks bigger and the dial is at least 2mm bigger as well, up against a 44mm PAM the 40mm Rolex models do look a bit lost. But the flip side to that is the size, a 44mm PAM makes my wrist look even smaller, so 40mm is as far as i go, and the Rolex looks good on my wrist.

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2008, 11:31 PM   #54
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
I WISH!
Me WISH too!!!
Old 25 October 2008, 11:58 PM   #55
brainbizz

The reality is neither brand is "exclusive" however, certain Panerai models are definitely exclusive. A one year production run of 50, 100....500 world wide to me is exclusive. Rolex is less exclusive than Panerai and has more ADs, marketing, etc. therefore it would only seem logical that there would be a larger public perception that it is the watch to have. I also do not see where someone expects to pay a few thousand dollars for a watch that is not common. Now does it really mater? To some yes to others no. Some just want a good quality watch others want a more limited possibly collectable piece.
brainbizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2008, 12:00 AM   #56
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argee1977 View Post
Ah, i can't agree with this, i've got a 40mm PAM and a Sub LV, the PAM looks bigger and the dial is at least 2mm bigger as well, up against a 44mm PAM the 40mm Rolex models do look a bit lost. But the flip side to that is the size, a 44mm PAM makes my wrist look even smaller, so 40mm is as far as i go, and the Rolex looks good on my wrist.
Hi Ryan

Again, I have to respectfully disagree. Here are some comparison pics of my YM & ROO. The 40mm Yacht Master has great proportions and has as much presence as a 44mm ROO. This is true of all 40mm Sport Rolex's.

Apologies for the poor pics.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Audemars Piguet ROO 010.jpg (47.2 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg Audemars Piguet ROO 008.jpg (44.2 KB, 346 views)

www.cheetah.org
Old 26 October 2008, 12:01 AM   #57
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trurolexer View Post
Me WISH too!!!

www.cheetah.org
Old 26 October 2008, 12:08 AM   #58
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi Ryan

Again, I have to respectfully disagree. Here are some comparison pics of my YM & ROO. The 40mm Yacht Master has great proportions and has as much presence as a 44mm ROO. This is true of all 40mm Sport Rolex's.

Apologies for the poor pics.

Look carefully.... the Rolex is on the far right >>>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008_0524_paneristi0026.jpg (84.3 KB, 350 views)
Old 26 October 2008, 12:09 AM   #59
toph
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Look carefully.... the Rolex is on the far right >>>
where?

Member No.# 11795
Old 26 October 2008, 12:12 AM   #60
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
where?
Loupe ?