The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 10 May 2009, 12:16 AM   #91
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbizz View Post
I could easily get the watch on the secondary market but I should not have to. It is the principle that I am a very good customer and in my mind there should be perks. It is possible this is where Panerai and myself disagree. They may have enough customers and do not care. Not the way I personally do business. I am a big boy and do not take it personally and understand thats life but it is my money and I have been eyeballing some APs. Who knows just would like some loyalty.

I agree with you, it's the exact same thing i'm saying earlier in this thread, i've also been looking elsewhere as i just don't like the way the 'brand' are moving towards special editions and drip feeding.

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2009, 12:23 AM   #92
brainbizz

I am just frustrated that they have no trouble providing me with a limited $60,000 dollar watch or $30,000 one but cannot produce a simple 292.
brainbizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2009, 12:30 AM   #93
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
I don't bought watches for investment.
If I wanna buy item for investment, I will go for gold.
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2009, 01:58 AM   #94
brainbizz

I do not by them as investments but buy what i like.
Old 10 May 2009, 02:22 AM   #95
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
I do not by them as investments but buy what i like.
Old 10 May 2009, 02:54 AM   #96
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
I like the SEs with limited numbers.Look,they dont have any shortage of buyers !! BUT,distribution should be equal to the ADs !! My AD was told by Vendome ,when enquered about a certain model that he wasnt even allowed to ask about that one !! AND when he asked about a certain SE he was told..."Those are reserved for their boutiques !!! NOW THAT ... IS ABSOLUTE BS !!!

I am in the same boat. Have bought a ton of Panerai from my local AD and when certain SE's come out, I cannot even get on "the list" as they are not offered to my AD.
So, does that mean I should stop supporting my local business & line up a the Boutiques with everyone else?

In my case, I stopped buying , period.
IF, and a big IF, the one SE , that I was promised, happens to arrive, then maybe, just maybe I will start buying again.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2009, 03:25 AM   #97
VazLube

Isn't SE only offered at boutiques only? Then sucks to be us where there is none at our location. I am not going to fly all way to NYC to get a SE!
VazLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2009, 03:26 AM   #98
brainbizz

Exactly where I am coming from. I do not plan on buying from the secondary market or Boutique. I am just weary of the whole thing and getting tired of spending all the cash.
Old 10 May 2009, 03:27 AM   #99
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
Quote:
Originally Posted by VazLube View Post
Isn't SE only offered at boutiques only? Then sucks to be us where there is none at our location. I am not going to fly all way to NYC to get a SE!

No, ADs can put in an order and be given an allocation for SEs, but from rumours on paneristi.com it sounds like Panerai are moving to only have SEs sold through boutiques, which is great for the UK as we don't have a boutique!

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2009, 03:40 AM   #100
VazLube

Ah I see, that sucks for us as well, none in our neck of woods!
Old 10 May 2009, 04:05 AM   #101
brainbizz

I was told by someone up the food chain that this was BS however my AD only received 2 of the 2008 SE my 308 and fer 024. The proof is in the pudding im afraid.
Old 10 May 2009, 04:18 AM   #102
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
I am in the same boat. Have bought a ton of Panerai from my local AD and when certain SE's come out, I cannot even get on "the list" as they are not offered to my AD.
So, does that mean I should stop supporting my local business & line up a the Boutiques with everyone else?

In my case, I stopped buying , period.
IF, and a big IF, the one SE , that I was promised, happens to arrive, then maybe, just maybe I will start buying again.
Well,perhaps I cant complain too much,an oink oink !! did come my way
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2009, 04:45 AM   #103
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was told by someone up the food chain that this was BS however my AD only received 2 of the 2008 SE my 308 and fer 024. The proof is in the pudding im afraid.
Logical.By selling through the boutiques,they eliminate the middle man ....our beloved AD.Funny,I have always enjoyed buying from the little shop more,compared to the big glamour shop,with sales assistents whose knowledge of the subject, didnt get to evolve due to growing in the shadows of some very prominent bodily features ..................

Passion,knowledge,service and fair pricing is what I want from "the point of sale". Panerai just need to supply the stock !!!

Here's to passion !!!!
Old 10 May 2009, 10:20 AM   #104
brainbizz

I realize it is logical to an extent. They want their tourbos and higher end watches to sell which may be difficult just using the boutiques. Then again may not be who knows. There are several reasons I buy Panerai of importance is my relationship with my AD and support of my local economy. If I have a problem they always fix it no questions asked. I like that kind of service which is the way I conduct business. I would just be number at a boutique which is not how I conduct business. If I were to buy from somewhere else and develop a new relationship I most likely would switch to AP or PP. Another problem is I have all the non SE i care for with exception to 292 so if my AD does not get any more i am SOL. Hopefully I will smell bacon soon and all will be right with the universe.
Old 10 May 2009, 03:27 PM   #105
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I realize it is logical to an extent. They want their tourbos and higher end watches to sell which may be difficult just using the boutiques. Then again may not be who knows. There are several reasons I buy Panerai of importance is my relationship with my AD and support of my local economy. If I have a problem they always fix it no questions asked. I like that kind of service which is the way I conduct business. I would just be number at a boutique which is not how I conduct business. If I were to buy from somewhere else and develop a new relationship I most likely would switch to AP or PP. Another problem is I have all the non SE i care for with exception to 292 so if my AD does not get any more i am SOL. Hopefully I will smell bacon soon and all will be right with the universe.
We talk the same language here,concerning Panerai,the AD vs boutiques,service,personal relations etc. However,I wont switch to the likes of AP and PP .......just not my style !!

The AD I deal with do gets some SEs in,so we are not completely excluded from the SEs.I could get a 309,if I wanted it.....great watch !! BUT the choice of Ti on that one was just so wrong,wrong,wrong !!!! Disappointing....especially considering the price.The rosegold ring also gets lost on the dial,should have been more prominent.Anyway .......

I got the first pigged 292,the AD ever received.I had it on the table against my 104,a 111,the 309,a 233.The 292 is an amazing design,it just standsout from the rest.Catches the eye immediately.May your smell of bacon and the sounds of Pigs on the wing from Pink Floyd ringing in the ears,be accompanied with a piggeyd 292 on the wrist,soon !!!All the best of oink !! oink !! luck
Old 10 May 2009, 10:15 PM   #106
brainbizz

In the end we are fortunate to have the money to spend luxury items. I hate to complain since I have received most of the watches I have wanted. I am afraid my AD is down on the pecking order for SE. Oh well maybe I can save some cash. It is doubtful since my wife wants a new diamond ring. Now i am really screwed.
Old 10 May 2009, 11:25 PM   #107
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In the end we are fortunate to have the money to spend luxury items. I hate to complain since I have received most of the watches I have wanted. I am afraid my AD is down on the pecking order for SE. Oh well maybe I can save some cash. It is doubtful since my wife wants a new diamond ring. Now i am really screwed.
Yes we are fortuanate.

I say ........... save same cash !!
Old 10 May 2009, 11:33 PM   #108
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
I agree with Prince, never.
Old 11 May 2009, 01:50 AM   #109
GBJIV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argee1977 View Post
If you want a 292 then the best bet is paneristi.com, there's usually 3 or 4 of them on the sales page, there's one that's as fresh as you can get, not even picked up from the AD yet!
This type of flipping drives me crazy. I am sure it bothers Panerai too. Guy hasn't even picked it up and he is flipping it for how much above MSRP? I understand free markets etc... - And I don't have a problem with someone buying it because they like it... keeping it for a period of time (does not have to be too long really) realize they are not wearing it or something and selling it at fair market value - if the value is higher - so be it.

But to buy it and use it as an immediate vehicle to flip - Essentially bumping off the guys like some of us that just have passion and love for the brand is incredibly annoying.

One of the PAM AD's near me has many high end watches. Patek, Lange, AP etc...

Some guys buy a new Patek regularly and often... They are wealthy and that's what they like. But, because they buy so much in Patek and others - they will get a $10k hard to get watch free. They do the same thing with SS Daytonas - call the customer and offer them one at no charge - free gift. That guy comes back picks up his free SS Daytona or PAM 292 and buys another Patek.

The problem with that is - I can never get on their level at any AD. And the AD's treat me horribly. Not exaggerating. This same PAM AD above will barely speak with me when I go into their store.

So, I am happy with the boutique experience. They see loyalty to Panerai - They see someone that cares about the brand and loves it. Because of the love for the brand - they see someone that isn't just going to flip... My belief that loyalty to them will and should be rewarded with loyalty from them. They always treat me like I am a rock star too.

Anyway, Sorry this is long rant - it's something that I think about alot. What fired me up was Argee statement above that someone was already fliping a watch they haven't even picked up yet! That fries me.

I was going to trade one of my Rolex watches for a PAM 026 recently. Brand new 1 week old BNIB 026. The deal was so unfavorable to me... That essentially the Rolex watch was a free watch to him for the 026. I can't let myself do that. I would rather get in line - be patient form a relationship with the boutique and wait for my turn. I think this plan will work out in the long run
Old 11 May 2009, 02:04 AM   #110
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
I agree with Prince, never.
Good for you.
Old 11 May 2009, 05:42 AM   #111
brainbizz

So your telling me that the boutique plays by a different set of rules? I tend to doubt it. I agree that they should treat you well regardless of the cash you spend but they may also blow smoke up your A$$ just like the rest. They are most likely alloted more watches but still will have list. I am not quite sure how the list works but am sure they have one. I am also not sure who ultimately makes the decisions on the distribution of the watches. After playing the Ferrari game for many years I get the game but grow weary. I can assure you if one of their favored customers walks in and wants a certain watch guess where he most likely goes on the list. I did not even know what a ss Daytona was until my AD said I needed one so I got 1 of each at MSRP back in the day. He had a list which was in a folder some names 5 yrs old. Is that fair I do not know but it was a brilliant business decision due to how much I spend with them. I agree that loyalty is very important but it is a 2 way street and as Panerai produces more watches they become less exclusive which is becoming more important to me and at some point they may actually care or need their loyal customers. This is what has turned me off of Rolex no exclusiveness. Watch for the masses IMHO although excellent quality.
Old 29 May 2009, 08:52 PM   #112
snapster
"TRF" Member

I'm originally a Rolex guy but picked up a 212 a little bit ago. Picked up the GMT on the left as a gift to my brother for his med school graduation and will probably pick up a DeepSea in the next year.

To answer the original question of whether or not Panerai has won me over...

Nope. Not a chance. In fact, having picked up a Panerai, I'm even more convinced I want a DeepSea next due to the superior manufacturing process and superior materials used in construction. The 212 is too much like a piece of jewelry in my book and picks up "character" too easily.
snapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 07:27 AM   #113
robertino233
"TRF" Member

Rolex is a total " ME 2 " watch.
You have one , yeah me to.
Been their done that and got the t-shirt w/ rolex.
So so OVERPLAYED , Panerai is a different kinda cool ....
robertino233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 02:52 PM   #114
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So your telling me that the boutique plays by a different set of rules? I tend to doubt it. I agree that they should treat you well regardless of the cash you spend but they may also blow smoke up your A$$ just like the rest. They are most likely alloted more watches but still will have list. I am not quite sure how the list works but am sure they have one. I am also not sure who ultimately makes the decisions on the distribution of the watches. After playing the Ferrari game for many years I get the game but grow weary. I can assure you if one of their favored customers walks in and wants a certain watch guess where he most likely goes on the list. I did not even know what a ss Daytona was until my AD said I needed one so I got 1 of each at MSRP back in the day. He had a list which was in a folder some names 5 yrs old. Is that fair I do not know but it was a brilliant business decision due to how much I spend with them. I agree that loyalty is very important but it is a 2 way street and as Panerai produces more watches they become less exclusive which is becoming more important to me and at some point they may actually care or need their loyal customers. This is what has turned me off of Rolex no exclusiveness. Watch for the masses IMHO although excellent quality.
I prefer dealing with the small family owned Panerai AD.I dont see myself buying from a PAM boutique.
Old 30 May 2009, 03:03 PM   #115
Skullring
"TRF" Member

Watch: Triple 6 SD
I love the look of Panerai but I have such a back log of Rolexes on my list I don't know if I will ever get around to it.
Old 31 May 2009, 12:38 PM   #116
GMTJOHNNY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2007 DAY DATE 18KT
Not quite yet. Almost, but not quite. Patek will be had before Panerai.
ROLEX AIR KING 14000 (1991)
ROLEX GMTIIC TT 116713LN (2008)
GMTJOHNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2009, 04:45 PM   #117
VazLube

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTJOHNNY View Post
Not quite yet. Almost, but not quite. Patek will be had before Panerai.
I would say way around! For me Patek is ultimate lifetime achievement.
Old 31 May 2009, 04:46 PM   #118
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
Not yet, but the year is not over yet...
#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
C. Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2009, 05:18 PM   #119
Trurolexer
Banned

Never say never, Guys. When I was a Rolex Guy, I never like chunky watch. But after I tried one, well you know I smell more Panerai than Rolex now...
Old 15 June 2009, 05:51 PM   #120
exxondus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trurolexer View Post
Never say never, Guys. When I was a Rolex Guy, I never like chunky watch. But after I tried one, well you know I smell more Panerai than Rolex now...
but your signature shows 4 Rollies and 3 pams!!
exxondus is offline   Reply With Quote