The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 October 2020, 09:09 AM   #31
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Roadi1. That thing is super bad ass.

Can you share some interior pics?

Love that thing.
Appreciate it! Will take some this weekend!
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 09:12 AM   #32
Bruce_Wayne
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
Just watched this the other day. Never considered an ambulance as a platform...

https://youtu.be/wssu8Wp9W74

Sent from the Waitlist at 6 different ADs
Bruce_Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 11:56 PM   #33
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Dang those are sweet. Can I borrow 175 anyone lol
Old 28 October 2020, 07:44 AM   #34
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie1 View Post
I was going to build a custom but decided to get a 2020 Winnebago Revel. I’ve heavily modified including a high-end lithium battery upgrade replacing the agm batteries with lithium 630 ah. I can run the AC for 6+ hours on batteries. No generator or shore power needed. Also have added a one up bike rack, Rear spare tire carrier, ladder, storage box and made a interior modifications. The overall Winnebago quality is not the best but a great place to start. The plumbing wiring and diesel heater are fantastic. Some of the cheap cabinetry is sufficient until it breaks then I just will replace it with something superior. The van overall is awesome and we love it. Spent a couple weeks out west this summer trail running. Have used it for numerous trips closer to home as well as a base for our daughters cross county HS races. When I retire I’m planning on going to South America and Alaska.

so awesome.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 06:57 AM   #35
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Let me know specifically what you’re looking for and I can email you Terabytes of information. (That’s an exaggeration, rather many, many gigabytes)
PM you soon looking forward to connecting. But in general I'd like to do this:

best platform (is it 2500 turbo diesel, ford?, other?)
Ideally I'd like:

3 Locked differentials
skid plates
rocker/nerf bars bars,
front and rear winch with receiver and two shackle mounts into front and rear brush bars.
33-35" Aggressive All Terrain, BFG KO A/T, or light mud terrain.

I think I'd like to do removable bunk drop down bunk beds that drop down on the sides with a seating area dinette /convertible to big bed (drop table use a cushion like a boat).

I think I want to do a wood stove that has a cook area on top. For heat. https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com

But maybe that isn't feasible but I like the off the grid capability.

I've heard some of these have auxiliary AC possible. Any thoughts on heat and hvac?

Maybe do lithium batteries and a solar panel or should i go for honda style inverter in a box in the back.

Popups are they good are bad? (vs roof rack with removable safari style rooftop tent).

Some Group questions:

Am I crazy to think I don't need water. But maybe I do need some sort of water collection and purification system into a holding tank, that can also take shore water.

What do you think about shore power, water capabilities, is a bathroom really needed?

What do you think about electronics? Any must haves?

I wanted to get these out there. To be a bit more specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
If you think watches are an expensive hobby...
I feel like it could be more defensible as a work vehicle maybe if modular, or allow me to take remote contracts easier in corona time. Or just take the family tubing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
Not a Sprinter here but have a Diesel Pusher with 4 Slideouts and a 6 cylinder catapiller engine...

Attachment 1178635
Real big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post

Remember pre-over landing ? When a pickup with camper shell, foam pads, and a Coleman stove was all you needed ?

What do you think about the camper shell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamSLC View Post
I've put some miles on a handful of them but not done the build out process. Really disliked the dual axle 3500 models, both AWD Airstream and Winnebago rode terribly and were rattle traps even on smooth pavement. I'd opt for the smaller footprint personally. 144" would be my pick, but it depends on how many others you need to bring or gear requirements. I have a neighbor that did a full build out on a 170" and then sold it for the Winnebago Revel and said it was much better than the build he did himself.
Really good info about the dualie. Can I ask you about 100 more questions:

What is your take on RWD vs AWD/4WD?

V6 Diesel Turbo vs the i4?

roof heights?

Did he come out ahead on the build?

I'm thinking. I bring the interior to an upholstery guy. I'm thinking tufted ultraleather or chair leather all around. Maybe do constellation in headliner. Get them to do the runs for speakers, cut out an area. to be able to upgrade/replace it in the future. I'm thinking stereo sound dynaudio 3 ways, not sure if that is feasible. 12v entertainment setups (like 3x 24"-32" 12v TVs, RetroPie setup, LED lights.

back is a dinette, also nice chair leather maybe maybach type stitching style. I think I want to do the sitting/sleeping surfaces in leather.

Maybe some Ron Burgandy Mahogany framing. and some thought into the lighting. Like I think with LEDs you can really do some cool things other than traditional top down lighting. I might do the framing. Probably would. Upholstery by a guy who knows.

I'd prob ask my crazy uncle who rebuilt his sailboat and built an example of the sailing dinghy, for direction. Not really like please do this. but what have you learned, maybe have him show me some steps for framing and cabinetry.

For the floor, I think I would tile it out of a nice light weight tile, or thin brick.

I think I would do the electronics and navitronics, and do upgrade and do all the sound deadening pre upholstering.

I'm thinking two drop down bunk beds over the dinette. I think upholstered solid wood framed. hook into the wall and have a chain from the same wall at a higher point. I could see having to do this part before upholstery, to get the mounts right. Maybe there is a kit?

I'd like to be able to remove the dinette and seats, and bed as needed. Maybe these don't actually touch the ground completely but also connect into wall? I don't know, I could see having some extra seats be useful.

I'm thinking a small coffee bar setup with "quartz" kitchen top, but could I use a granite for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by placek View Post
https://sportsmobile.com/sportsmobile-4x4/

Have seen them, been in them, and they are pretty incredible. While I like the idea of building, instead of buying, in this situation I would leave it to the pros.
wow awesome builds. Haven't considered those previously as build platforms, the Fords. They look awesome.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
Custom sprinter vans are the new soccer mom cars around here lately. Buddy has a pretty cool one that’s built out for surfing trips to Mexico but not really and overland type vehicle. Smaller maneuverable motorhome yes but if you’re really overlanding you’ll need more off-road capability.
Do you recommend something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
https://earthroamer.com/

I’ve been trying to find a reason to get one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is awesome about it? I am a bit novice. Is it the electrical systems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippoPAPAmus View Post
Earthroamers are the stuff of dreams.

I think they will remain the stuff of dreams for me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
We've started seeing an uptick in 4X4 Sprinter interest and sales over the past few months - with all the travel restrictions a lot of people are doing road trips. We have a few weekender Metris' on order as well.
Feel free to contact me. Really interesting about the Metris and sales trend.
Old 29 October 2020, 07:18 AM   #36
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Wayne View Post
Just watched this the other day. Never considered an ambulance as a platform...

https://youtu.be/wssu8Wp9W74

Sent from the Waitlist at 6 different ADs
Got to watch this as I wait on the waitlist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Dang those are sweet. Can I borrow 175 anyone lol

Me too
Old 29 October 2020, 08:31 AM   #37
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
Personally I would not have a van without a full bathroom with head and hot shower. I like to be off the grid and despise RV resorts and campgrounds. nothing like a hot shower after a long trail run, mountain bike ride, skiing or hiking or just washing the bug spray off before you hit the hay. Of course if you like to stay in campgrounds then you can always use the bathhouse. My van also has an outdoor shower so when I’m in the back country I have the option of taking a shower alfresco. I highly recommend lithium batteries and a diesel heater.
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2020, 12:20 AM   #38
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Not sure of your budget, but the ultimate overland 4x4 is Earthromer. Solar power, generator, front and rear winches, air lockers, etc. Everything you would ever want or need in an offroad RV.

https://earthroamer.com
Old 4 November 2020, 01:48 AM   #39
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
3 Locked differentials
skid plates
rocker/nerf bars bars,
front and rear winch with receiver and two shackle mounts into front and rear brush bars.
33-35" Aggressive All Terrain, BFG KO A/T, or light mud terrain.

Really good info about the dualie. Can I ask you about 100 more questions:

What is your take on RWD vs AWD/4WD?

V6 Diesel Turbo vs the i4?

roof heights?

Did he come out ahead on the build?
To clarify my experience had been limited to MB Sprinters, so only the turbo diesel V6. All the taller roof height. All AWD. Great power IMO. Two were fully built out already, and one shell that is being built now.

Neighbor lost a little on the build, but put a good amount of use on it. Didn't ask for many financial details. After riding in his Revel, like Roadie1 has, that was the favorite for me. Size is completely reasonable for trails and brief city commutes. You can actually find a parking spot for it.

One thing I would consider is while it's exciting to build it out for some serious off-roading, they're pretty huge rigs already and you'll want to consider where you can actually take it. When I see those Earthroamers, while they're amazing, It would be a struggle in my area where most off roading trails up north are narrow fire roads, and in the south is Moab so mostly jeep/side by side trails. I'd save money on the capability and pick up an awesome mountain bike.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2020, 01:59 AM   #40
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
It’s not technically an RV but I’d rather have this for off road expeditions. https://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/...224565351.html

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2020, 02:00 AM   #41
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Pics for those that don’t click on links.

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote